The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "It was going to be on a river, not the ocean," Thelia said to the Drow, "if we see the ocean, we went the wrong way. As to leaving, I just need to finish my breakfast, get my stuff and I'm good to go."
    "River, ocean, sea. What's the differences? They're all involved water, aren't they? As long as it involved with water that all it's matter." Sarah was annoyed by Thelia comments.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-07-31 at 12:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

Gunnar smirks at Thelia's commentary.

"Well, as I said, I believe we should go by the river. I could try to keep an eye on the weather, as I read some naturalist's description of the region and I believe I could know what to expect..."
    - He pauses - "On a hypothetical level, of course."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Please read my OoC post.
    Tales of the Library: Gunnar of Miner's Pass

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"So it settled then. We take the boat and travelled by the river."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I agree with Gunnar says Raziel First, we should hire a passage on a boat and then goes upstream, it will take some days and maybe from time to time we need to stop the boat and move it on the shore to avoid the bad weather, we could study the weather day by day conclude Raziel if we all agree I suggest to proceed in this way

5. - Top - End - #125

"I certainly don't disagree with going by water," Jeremi chimes in.
    Extended Signature, Woo!

Latest Homebrew: The Silencing Blade & the Professor Explorer, a nutty artificer.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I agree as well."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sure," Thelia said as she finished her breakfast. She went to her room to get her backpack and staff and soon she was back downstairs waiting.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"We might expecting a few sea creatures at the river if not many." Sarah is smiling.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    "We might expecting a few sea creatures at the river if not many." Sarah is smiling.
    Raziel burst in laughs ahahahah! yes, of course, beware of the river monsters! ahahaha after a while he stops all of you felt a genuine laugh and around you, you can feel a joyful environment well, lets get to work, we will meet outside the Inn in a couple of hours, if you have business to conclude here, do it then we will leave south looking for a boat, Gunnar let me know if you need anything for this travel, i will take care of the travel rations he stood up and goes swiftly into his room.

10. - Top - End - #130

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_fromrome View Post
    Raziel burst in laughs ahahahah! yes, of course, beware of the river monsters! ahahaha after a while he stops all of you felt a genuine laugh and around you, you can feel a joyful environment well, lets get to work, we will meet outside the Inn in a couple of hours, if you have business to conclude here, do it then we will leave south looking for a boat, Gunnar let me know if you need anything for this travel, i will take care of the travel rations he stood up and goes swiftly into his room.
    "I'm good to go... I came down from the room with my stuff already." - Gunnar picks his equipment up from behind the table. As he straps his sword belt around his waist and straights the two javelins on their back quiver, he walks out talking to Raziel - "Hey, buddy, we just need to be sure we have enough ropes and maybe a block and tackle if we are going to get into and out of the river with the boat on our journey... As we may have to take the boat out of the water in a hurry sometimes, it would be good to have some tools to help. There's not much of brawn put together in this group... But we seem to have the brains.

11. - Top - End - #131

ElfRangerGuy

While Raziel was getting ready, Thelia slipped out of the inn and went in search of a city watch, or a sherrif or something like that. She wanted to get some information on what they might expect on the river and when it came to bandits or things like that, you could Always ask local law enforcement. They might not Always know, or choose not to, but it was a start. She also wanted to let them know about the attack on the people from Tempus.
    Last edited by farothel; 2019-08-04 at 04:14 AM.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #132

"I have cousins that live on the river near here," Jeremi notes. "We could start by checking up on them."

Spoiler: Question
    Show
    I don't see an answer to my last question on the OOC thread. Does Jeremi know whether or not his cousins have a boat?
    Extended Signature, Woo!

Latest Homebrew: The Silencing Blade & the Professor Explorer, a nutty artificer.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

You packed your things and before the tenth hour of the morning you are ready to hit the road again, this time you are moving south, since the inn is on the road and its customers are mostly traveler and merchants the nearest place where to find soldiers or such it might be near the river in one of the fisherman's village. Today the road is empty, the air is fresh and wet and sometimes some cloud passes over you Jeremi is playing the hurdy-gurdy singing popular song, only Gunnar knows some rimes and from time to time they joined in a duet.

Spoiler: Gunnar and Jeremi: Performance skill check
    Show
    please roll performance

it is around afternoon that you arrived in a small village near the shore of the river, the picture in front of you is easy, there are 4 houses in one cluster and not much distant from them five more houses. the construction is very old and damaged a lot of fishing equipment is hanging outside these houses, old women and men are working on nets while the younger are fixing the boats. there is a dock near the shore which consist of no more than two wharves, near one of the wharf a group of children gathers around something they are laughing and playing with something but you can't see it from your position.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I'm not expecting if the boat is a five-star cruise material as long as the boat decent and clean at least." Sarah thought of something to what to expect what the boat looks like which annoyed her a bit.

15. - Top - End - #135

ElfRangerGuy

"I don't think we have the funds for a five star cruise," Thelia quipped as she went closer to the kids to see what they were doing. She was Always interested in new things and learning children's games was part of that.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I don't think we have the funds for a five-star cruise," Thelia quipped as she went closer to the kids to see what they were doing. She was always interested in new things and learning children's games as part of that.
    "Well that's unfortunate. If I could have brought extra gold pieces it would definitely save us the trouble to afford a top-notch cruise boat. I think the average five-star cruise boat is around 5,000 to 10,000 gold pieces if I'm not mistaken."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-08-07 at 02:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

HalflingRangerGuy

You packed your things and before the tenth hour of the morning you are ready to hit the road again, this time you are moving south, since the inn is on the road and its customers are mostly traveler and merchants the nearest place where to find soldiers or such it might be near the river in one of the fisherman's village. Today the road is empty, the air is fresh and wet and sometimes some cloud passes over you Jeremi is playing the hurdy-gurdy singing popular song, only Gunnar knows some rimes and from time to time they joined in a duet.

Spoiler: Gunnar and Jeremi: Performance skill check
    Show
    please roll performance

it is around afternoon that you arrived in a small village near the shore of the river, the picture in front of you is easy, there are 4 houses in one cluster and not much distant from them five more houses. the construction is very old and damaged a lot of fishing equipment is hanging outside these houses, old women and men are working on nets while the younger are fixing the boats. there is a dock near the shore which consist of no more than two wharves, near one of the wharf a group of children gathers around something they are laughing and playing with something but you can't see it from your position.
    Gunnar sings a merry tune, following Jeremi's lead. Maybe it's the bard's magical music, but the introvert young man lets his voice go in a way he never did before.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    See the roll in the OoC thread.

18. - Top - End - #138

Jeremi manages well on the instrument playing most of the local songs out. "I'm loving the new one," he remarks between sets.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    total of 25 in the OOC thread. That's with +8 performance and +2 circumstance (masterwork)
    Extended Signature, Woo!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Catchy tune." Sarah smiles and giggles.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Alth quietly hums the tune, it stuck in his head

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

when Jeremi and Gunnar approach the village all the folks gathered around the musicians and start to dance around them all of you can see on their faces a smile, some of them is missing some tooth.

in the meantime Thelia goes next to the children, she can see what they're laughing about, in a wooden bucket there is a purple river crab, one of the children is poking him with a piece of driftwood, the crabs look defenseless and scared. When Jeremi and Gunnar arriving with their songs the kids lose interest in their catch and run towards them to dance.

one of the elders approach your group, he is blind and he needs help to moves, he is using an old walking stick, what strike your eyes is the old man body, is full of scars eve though he is frail now his muscles are still tonic and he doesn't seems to suffer too much the cold even though he is half-naked. He is wearing mostly rags a pair of worned sandals, a necklace two small hands tied with a red lace

Spoiler: Knowledge religion
    Show
    please roll this check

Greetings traveler, what brings you in this place? says the old man towards the whole group.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

when Jeremi and Gunnar approach the village all the folks gathered around the musicians and start to dance around them all of you can see on their faces a smile, some of them is missing some tooth.

in the meantime Thelia goes next to the children, she can see what they're laughing about, in a wooden bucket there is a purple river crab, one of the children is poking him with a piece of driftwood, the crabs look defenseless and scared. When Jeremi and Gunnar arriving with their songs the kids lose interest in their catch and run towards them to dance.

one of the elders approach your group, he is blind and he needs help to moves, he is using an old walking stick, what strike your eyes is the old man body, is full of scars eve though he is frail now his muscles are still tonic and he doesn't seems to suffer too much the cold even though he is half-naked. He is wearing mostly rags a pair of worned sandals, a necklace two small hands tied with a red lace

Spoiler: Knowledge religion
    Show
    please roll this check

Greetings traveler, what brings you in this place? says the old man towards the whole group.
    "We're just looking for a boat to travel. Do you know any boats around here?"

Spoiler: Sarah Sense Motive and Knowledge (Religion) Skill Check
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20)[18]

Knowledge (religion): (1d20+8)[13]

23. - Top - End - #143

ElfRangerGuy

Not sure what the proper protocol is in the town, Thelia decided not to say anything to the children, but when they ran off, she suddenly became quite clumsy and bumbed the bucket, tipping it over and setting the crab free.

When the old man adressed the group, she looked at him and especially his necklace.
    "We seek a ship, venerable one," she said, using the honorific used when talking to elf elders. While he was probably younger than she was, he was still old the way humans calculated such things.

Spoiler: OOC religion roll
    Show

knowledge (religion): (1d20+11)[27]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

with a small kick to the bucket, you set the Little crab free which with haste comes back to the water happily.

Thelia and Sarah recognize the holy symbol of Illmater god of suffering, the broken one, usually worshipped among suffering people.

Sarah can perceive in the man words kindness.

the old man looks both Thelia and Sarah ahh.. such young voices he smiles revealing to be toothless we have ships, if you need a passage to other shores of the river there is no problem you will have passage, if you need a passage upstream of the river I am afraid we cannot afford to dispatch a fishing boat for you, unfortunately, we rely on the fishing boats to gather foods, last the flood damages all of ours nets, hooks lines and crab traps he says lowering his eyes, his voice tremble.

Raziel is listening carefully the old man speaking Indeed elder one he says looking around.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Ok thank you mister. I noticed that you're wearing a symbol of Illmater, the god of suffering." Sarah was smiling as she was fascinated of the holy symbol the old man was wearing.

26. - Top - End - #146

HalflingRangerGuy

Upon finishing the song, Gunnar seems rejoiced. But, when he notices all the people that gathered around, paying attention to him and Jeremy, he suddenly turns self-conscious. Silencing, he immediately slips back to the rear of the group and lets the crowd's eyes turn solely to the bard, who seems more at ease with this kind of attention.

the old man looks both Thelia and Sarah ahh.. such young voices he smiles revealing to be toothless we have ships, if you need a passage to other shores of the river there is no problem you will have passage, if you need a passage upstream of the river I am afraid we cannot afford to dispatch a fishing boat for you, unfortunately, we rely on the fishing boats to gather foods, last the flood damages all of ours nets, hooks lines and crab traps he says lowering his eyes, his voice tremble.

Raziel is listening carefully the old man speaking Indeed elder one he says looking around.
    Upon hearing the old man's answer, Gunnar asks - "Is there anyone else around here that could provide a ship apart from the fishermen? We indeed need to go upstream." - He looks around - "Barring that, we would need a guide to the woods that follow the river, if there's such services around."

Muttering to the group - "Or else you'll be all subject to whichever tidbits of knowledge I was able to grasp from the naturalist's book that I read in Fireshear..."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Elder one. Is there more to the story than what you're telling us?" Sarah was concerned about trusting the old man words.

Spoiler: Sarah Sense Motive Skill Check
    Show
    (1d20)[5]

28. - Top - End - #148

ElfRangerGuy

"Well, venerable one," Thelia said, "maybe we can do a trade. May I see your damaged nets and such?"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Well, venerable one," Thelia said, "maybe we can do a trade. May I see your damaged nets and such?"
    The eyes of the old man glimpse at Thelia's words ohh it would be very kind from you, Illmater always helps his servants! come on folks these youngsters are helping us with our fishing gear all the other fisherman gather around piling their fishing tools, there are nets, harpoons, hooks and Crab Traps, all of them are in poor condition.

Spoiler: Repair Check
    Show
    you can either use spell Mending or Craft skill check

In the meantime, Raziel is scribing something on a piece of parchment.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Mister what's your name if you don't mind me asking also you haven't answered my other question, is there more to the story about the upstream than what you're telling us? It would be very appreciated to us if you answer honestly." Sarah is starting to get a little annoyed when the old man didn't answer her question.

Spoiler: Sarah's Sense Motive Skill Check
    Show
    (1d20)[2]