The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 338
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Thelia hadn't done much during the day, at least not for sailing the boat. She was, as she had said, not a sailor. She had spent most of the time looking out for trouble, luckily not finding any. She had also put her fishhook and line to some good, catching a few small fish.
    "So, what now," she asked, as she took out her fishhook again. She really liked sitting somewhere with a hook, waiting for a fish to nibble.

    Spoiler: OOC survival roll
    Show

    just a roll to see if I catch something.
    (1d20+4)[21]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Rome
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    While sailing Sarah only manage to spot the beautiful environment, near the shore a brown bear is quenching its thirst with his cubs from time to time they look the water for any fish, Unfortunately for them is Thelia that is getting lucky with her fishing skills, Thelia gave a fish to Sarah which tosses a fish to one of the cubs, with a glance its says "thank you".

    The second morning Gunnar check the weather and by studying the clouds he is sure that this day would be favorable for sailing. slowly and gently your ship goes upstream until the evening when you decide again to make camp ashore.

    The third morning is colder, there are no clouds in the sky and yet the weather is calm, Gunnar forecast is again favorable and you decide to take the waves and sail again. in the evening clouds are slowly moving from the mountains black as smoke rising from a chimney.

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "Darn it! It's just a brown bear." Sarah was upset that she didn't she a river monster.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "It looks as if we're going to get rain," Thelia said, looking at the building clouds, "and maybe more. I hope it will only be during the night. We'll have to make sure the boat is well attached to the shore, or we might lose it."
    She had kept up the fishing, as it gave her something to do while watching the surroundings and it was a nice addition to their trail rations, making sure those also stretched a bit longer.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "Yay rain. What can be more exciting than good old rain?" Sarah was being sarcastic.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "It looks as if we're going to get rain," Thelia said, looking at the building clouds, "and maybe more. I hope it will only be during the night. We'll have to make sure the boat is well attached to the shore, or we might lose it."
    She had kept up the fishing, as it gave her something to do while watching the surroundings and it was a nice addition to their trail rations, making sure those also stretched a bit longer.
    "Let's keep an eye for flash floods... Even if we need to start up river later tomorrow." - He looks at the others - "We should not downplay the danger a flash flood can be while traveling by water... If the weather turns bad for too long, we may try to finish the voyage by foot. If old Tore estimation was correct, we should be really close to the end of our river journey anyways. But let me make a later forecast next morning.".

    "Now, let's get our guard duties in order. If there was no spellcasting today, maybe we could make our turns in pairs. If Thelia and Sarah both agree, you could be pairing with us humans and gnome, while we rotate turns more often, as you sleep less and have superior eyesight, letting us sleep a bit more... What do you say?"
    Tales of the Library: Gunnar of Miner's Pass

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    "Let's keep an eye for flash floods... Even if we need to start up river later tomorrow." - He looks at the others - "We should not downplay the danger a flash flood can be while traveling by water... If the weather turns bad for too long, we may try to finish the voyage by foot. If old Tore estimation was correct, we should be really close to the end of our river journey anyways. But let me make a later forecast next morning.".

    "Now, let's get our guard duties in order. If there was no spellcasting today, maybe we could make our turns in pairs. If Thelia and Sarah both agree, you could be pairing with us humans and gnome, while we rotate turns more often, as you sleep less and have superior eyesight, letting us sleep a bit more... What do you say?"
    "I agree. I have no problem with no spellcasting at all." Sarah is smiling again and abide Gunnar orders.

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "Sure, no problem," Thelia said. she didn't have a problem with doing her share of the guard duty and she did see better in low light condition, even if she did need some light.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "Probably we might spot a river monster while we take our shift." Sarah is smiling.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "You the first part and I the second," Thelia said to Sarah, "or do you prefer it the other way around? Either way is fine with me."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "You the first part and I the second," Thelia said to Sarah, "or do you prefer it the other way around? Either way is fine with me."
    "I'll let you do the first part just to be fair." Sarah winks at Thelia.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "I don't suppose it matters much, as long as you have similar sight." Jeremi Continues, "Although I hope we don't run into anything worse than a bear."
    Extended Signature, Woo!

    Latest Homebrew: The Silencing Blade & the Professor Explorer, a nutty artificer.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    "I don't suppose it matters much, as long as you have similar sight." Jeremi Continues, "Although I hope we don't run into anything worse than a bear."
    "Or a river monster." Sarah laughed.

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Thelia didn't know what Sarah's thing with river monsters was, but she did hope they wouldn't see one. After putting up her tent, she settled in for the first watch.
    "We don't have the same type of vision," she explained to Jeremi, "I need a bit of light to see with, while Sarah can see in pitch black darkness. But as both watches have a part with darkness and a part with a bit of light, it doesn't really matter. And with the clouds coming in, we can't count on any moonlight anyway."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Rome
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    You take the boat ashore and make camp in a nearby flat land next to the river shore, as fast as you make camp the clouds move towards you. It starts to rain slowly and slowly begin to increase the winds start blowing and as you have predicted the rain became a storm with strong clouds, thunders and heavy rain. there is no chance to go out for hunting and you rely on your rations. outside there is no possibility to start a campfire. The night passes calmly the only sound you heard is the storm, creature, and beasts doesn't dare to go out their dens. It is morning, it still rains slowly and the river has become bigger and more impetuous, Gunnar takes a look to the clouds, it is going to get better in the afternoon but it will rain until then and also the river is getting bigger.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    In the morning, Gunnar leaves his tent hiding under his wool cloak. Walking up to the river, he looks up to the sky, shielding his eyes from the rain with his new buckler.

    Back to the camp, he announces to the others - "Well... It looks like it'll rain for a few hours still. I think it'll clear in the afternoon. But, by then, it may be hard to travel up the river, specially since no one here is an experienced sailor. What do you people think about making the rest of the trip on foot? By the old man estimation, we should be close now.".

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    DM, I'm taking 10 on Knowledge (geography), for a net 15, and Knowledge (local) (with the +3 from research from last chapter), for a net 18, to judge how far we are from our destination and how long it would take to go on foot or to wait for the river to be safe to sail again.
    Tales of the Library: Gunnar of Miner's Pass

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    In the morning, Gunnar leaves his tent hiding under his wool cloak. Walking up to the river, he looks up to the sky, shielding his eyes from the rain with his new buckler.

    Back to the camp, he announces to the others - "Well... It looks like it'll rain for a few hours still. I think it'll clear in the afternoon. But, by then, it may be hard to travel up the river, especially since no one here is an experienced sailor. What do you people think about making the rest of the trip on foot? By the old man estimation, we should be close now.".

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    DM, I'm taking 10 on Knowledge (geography), for a net 15, and Knowledge (local) (with the +3 from research from last chapter), for a net 18, to judge how far we are from our destination and how long it would take to go on foot or to wait for the river to be safe to sail again.
    "Well I can't speak for everybody else in this group but I'm fine to continue travelling on foot."

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "Sure, if the river is unsafe to travel on, we best use other options," Thelia said, "I do hope we're past that forest that could have been a problem."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "Sure, if the river is unsafe to travel on, we best use other options," Thelia said, "I do hope we're past that forest that could have been a problem."
    "At least we don't need to worry about river monsters at the forest there. But what about forest monsters? That may be a problem to worry about." Sarah was starting to worry about forest monsters.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Rome
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    In the morning, Gunnar leaves his tent hiding under his wool cloak. Walking up to the river, he looks up to the sky, shielding his eyes from the rain with his new buckler.

    Back to the camp, he announces to the others - "Well... It looks like it'll rain for a few hours still. I think it'll clear in the afternoon. But, by then, it may be hard to travel up the river, especially since no one here is an experienced sailor. What do you people think about making the rest of the trip on foot? By the old man estimation, we should be close now.".

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    DM, I'm taking 10 on Knowledge (geography), for a net 15, and Knowledge (local) (with the +3 from research from last chapter), for a net 18, to judge how far we are from our destination and how long it would take to go on foot or to wait for the river to be safe to sail again.
    Judging by the Flora and Fauna of the place you are not far from the Tournament camp, it will take two days by walk and just half day by the river. Unfortunately, the flash flood has already started and you need to wait until it ends, it will take another full day to the river to recover from the heavy rain. Judging from all of this element the choice is between waiting one more day, and then the next day might rain again. you pack your things and hit the pathway in the forest. You send the boat back with the flow, it should reach naturally the fishmonger village.

    It is raining slowly and the rains mingle with some gusts of winds now and then. no beasts are roaming around and the forest is still and silent. While you move you notice some wolf tracks in the mud, not far from the pathway there is a wounded deer next to him a couple of Snow wolf with their cubs the family is enjoying breakfast, you don't want to disturb the wolves and the animals ignores you. As foreseen by Gunnar in the afternoon the rain stops and the sun makes its way out of the clouds, now you can see the forest clearly, tall fir trees and pines tree are dominating the environment and now you can hear bird's songs again. You stop for lunch and then hit again the road, It is afternoon when you arrive on a top of a hill, you shouldn't be too high but it is possible to have a clear view of the valley below and the mountains behind.

    The valley is a lush green carpet and not far away you can recognizes a small group of tents even from this distance it is possible to see the Tempus's Flag, that should be your destination, no more than one day of travelling

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "I'm going to check and see if there any forest monsters in the forest. You may never know where they pop up." Sarah check to see if there any forest monsters in the area.

    Spoiler: Sarah's Spot And Listen Skill Check
    Show
    Spot: (1d20)[14]

    Listen: (1d20)[20]

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Thelia just nodded and looked at the distant campsite.
    "We made good time," she said, "but I'll be happy if I'm there."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "Let's camp and rest now... We need to be fresh when we meet them. We should be early on our way tomorrow, the sooner the better. I say we keep the same watch arrangements." - Gunnar starts to make camp and get's ready for his watch.
    Tales of the Library: Gunnar of Miner's Pass

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "Okay for me," Thelia said as she started to put up her tent as well. As they were away from the river, she could put the fishing line out and she didn't have the equipment for snares, although maybe her fishing line could work there as well. But she decided not to bother.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "I'm okay with this as well." Jeremi sits for a moment. "Looks as if we're almost there though."
    Extended Signature, Woo!

    Latest Homebrew: The Silencing Blade & the Professor Explorer, a nutty artificer.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Rome
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Spoiler: @ Gunnar, Thelia, Sarah and Jeremi
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    "I'm going to check and see if there any forest monsters in the forest. You may never know where they pop up." Sarah check to see if there any forest monsters in the area.

    Spoiler: Sarah's Spot And Listen Skill Check
    Show
    Spot: [roll0]

    Listen: [roll1]
    Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Thelia just nodded and looked at the distant campsite.
    "We made good time," she said, "but I'll be happy if I'm there."
    Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    "Let's camp and rest now... We need to be fresh when we meet them. We should be early on our way tomorrow, the sooner the better. I say we keep the same watch arrangements." - Gunnar starts to make camp and get's ready for his watch.
    You decide to set camp on the hill, it took you one hour to find a suitable spot to make camp hidden from any external menace. You gather some woods to burn and with some ration you eat supper, Sarah took her time to check if there is no menace around you, luckily the rain has put all the beasts in their lairs, Jeremi is cheering you up with a story and some jokes, the atmosphere is joyful and relaxed when you have finished supper you decide who will go first for the night's watch.

    Spoiler: watch order:
    Show
    please decide your watch order


    Spoiler: Morgran
    Show
    It is not too long that you have left Mirabar looking for answers, there are rumors that Barbarian Tribes gather in the Khedrum Valley to hold a tournament, it is known that these tribes are loyal to Uthgard and Tempus, or at least this is what your mentor told you. Fascinated by his Tales regarding this kind of martial tournament you are eager to join the tournament, however, you have no information regarding the exact location and it has been one month of lonely striding into the forest, you have survived thanks to your skills. You decide to follow the river Mirar and here you notice an empty fishing boat going with the flow, the gentle stream is carrying the boat towards Mirabar, what strikes you is the fact that there is no one on the boat, you follow it with your eyes, you notice black clouds in the horizon, you study the weather and then decide to keep moving. After some times a Thunder announce that it is time to stop for today, you find shelter inside an hollow tree. It rains te whole night and the next morning, when it stops you resume your journey. it is sunset when you arrive on a hill, below you the green plains of the Valley and near the horizon you can see a small cluster of tents, it is not so far, within six hours you should be able to reach the place, but this mean travel during the night.

    Spoiler: Check : Survival and Spot
    Show
    Please roll Survival and Spot Check, if you need any help on how to roll your dice is [roll]1dX[/roll]

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "Where it's a good thing there is no monster here. I guess this is the perfect time to tell all of you why I get so jumpy when it comes to monsters. A long time ago when I was little my parents used to tell me stories about a monster from the Underdark. I was so scared to visualize what they're like in real life. My older brother and his friends used to pull pranks to frightened me. And I still remember to this day. That's the reason why I'm afraid of monsters."

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    "What kind of monsters," Thelia asked, before she realised that this might not be the best thing to say, "Sorry, I've been taught to Always learn and Always question and this might not be the best time for that."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

    "Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "What kind of monsters," Thelia asked, before she realised that this might not be the best thing to say, "Sorry, I've been taught to Always learn and Always question and this might not be the best time for that."
    "From what I remember correctly. Driders, Mind Flayers, Duergars (Evil dwarves.), Orcs, Kobolds, Earth elementals and that about it."

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    far far away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_fromrome View Post
    Spoiler: @ Gunnar, Thelia, Sarah and Jeremi
    Show






    You decide to set camp on the hill, it took you one hour to find a suitable spot to make camp hidden from any external menace. You gather some woods to burn and with some ration you eat supper, Sarah took her time to check if there is no menace around you, luckily the rain has put all the beasts in their lairs, Jeremi is cheering you up with a story and some jokes, the atmosphere is joyful and relaxed when you have finished supper you decide who will go first for the night's watch.

    Spoiler: watch order:
    Show
    please decide your watch order



    "Keeping up with our previous arrangements, why don't I start the first watch... Maybe with Thelia? This way, Sarah can get the monsters out of her mind and trance a little."
    - He looks at the others - "Let's keep one of our elven friends paired with we humans and gnome like last time. Decide between yourselves who will I wake up next, please."
    Tales of the Library: Gunnar of Miner's Pass

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •