Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default looking for a mid-high lvl 3.5/3.p game

Hello playgrounders. I have recently built a pretty cool character that I'd love to play, and I would be interested to know if there are any gms willing to run a game in which I could play the following character:

basically, he is a paladin 5/binder 5/ordained champion 2, with a few possible advancements after that. his focus is on high melee damage with quick-charging and versatile smite ability.
    fluff wise, he is a warrior who is bound to some sort of spirits, and he channels their rage through his weapons.

Thanks in advance to any GMS that would be willing to run this
    Last edited by Heavenblade; 2019-06-13 at 03:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: looking for a mid-high lvl 3.5/3.p game

I'd be interested as a player pending the 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Would be interested too as a player, probably.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2019-06-16 at 01:00 PM.
    I'm going to be out until the beginning of August so I probably won't be able to post.

. .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Warpzzz#4020, feel free to DM.
    -HEY! Jailbreak! Helloooo we have a jailbreak over-SQUILCH Ah crap.
    Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Interested as a player if it is a one-shot.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-16 at 08:46 PM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

interested as a player

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

This is me posting player interest.
    My Homebrew
    Gravesoul
    Tower Guard

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

At the risk of collecting too many games... GM pitch:

Twenty-five years ago, the forces of evil and darkness gathered north and east of the village of Hommlet and constructed a huge temple. This was a bastion for their armies of gnolls, goblinoids, ogres, trolls, and giants - not to mention the evil human masters of the place and the demons and other foul creatures that served them. From this awful place, the malevolent denizens unleashed earthquakes, storms, fires, and floods upon the countryside. Monsters were drawn to the area like steel to a lodestone. The Temple of Elemental Evil took three years to complete, but even in that short time, the forces of good knew that they could not abide such a place. The lands of Furyondy and Veluna marshaled their armies and sacked the temple twenty-two years ago in the Battle of Emridy Meadows (named for the site of the fiercest conflict). Most of the forces of evil were destroyed or driven off and the temple itself was greatly damaged. But, its underground levels were extensive and dangerous, even for those heroic folk. So the Temple of Elemental Evil was sealed with powerful magics, imprisoning a demon prince of the Abyss within its confines.

Nine years later, bandits began troubling the area around Hommlet. Evil humanoids and strangely garbed priests were seen on the roads. Within the following year, it became clear that the Temple of Elemental Evil was rising again. This time, the folk of Hommlet and the surrounding area coordinated and fostered attacks lead by bands of adventurers against the ruined but still occupied temple. Eventually, the evil was once again overthrown, and this time the temple's dangerous lower levels were destroyed. Since then, the territory has prospered in the long years of peace after the second rising of the temple and common wisdom had it that no more adventures could be found in Hommlet.

Unfortunately, this was not the case. For recently it has come to light that the Temple of Elemental Evil, once thought to be a fiendish project of the Lady of Fungus, Zuggtmoy, and the Old One, Iuz, was in fact a product of the secret machinations of the Chained God, Tharizdun. A cult of the mad god has been discovered, growing in Hommlet like a cancer and using the old Moathouse as a local base of operations. A new group of local heroes rose to the occasion and rooted out the dangerous fanatics only to discover ties to a second, possibly even more dangerous temple in the Lortmil Mountains, the Temple of All-Consumption.

Over the course of many months these new heroes fought tirelessly to bring this new temple to its knees, all the while learning the secrets of the Doomdreamers, Tharizdun's mad followers. Finally these heroic individuals made it to the heart of that evil place, and tragically met their ends there at the hands of a dark triad, three ancient beings dedicated body and soul to Tharizdun and his madness. However, before their untimely ends, those heroes were able to send a message and a piece of hope. They were able to transmit all they had learned and provide a chance to end the threat of the Chained God once and for all.

From the depths of the Temple of All-Consumption comes the Orb of Silvery Death, a powerful artifact of Tharizdun, and possibly his undoing. If this artifact can be united with all four of the elemental power gems locked beneath the ruins of the Temple of Elemental Evil, and then destroyed, the Orb of Oblivion, of which the Orb of Golden Death and the Orb of Silvery Death are but imperfect copies, will become vulnerable. And if that most foul of creations can be destroyed, Tharizdun might yet remain chained for all eternity. Now the call has gone out for heroes of might and valor to once again brave the depths of the Temple in the hopes of finally putting to rest the true foe at the root of the region's troubles.

Tl;Dr Macguffin based dungeon crawl through the evil temple of a dark god to save the world.

16 upon acceptance of the premise.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-06-18 at 11:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

I love this idea. Too much fun!
    My Homebrew
    Gravesoul
    Tower Guard

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

can not wait for a big 16

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That is a good premise. Eagerly waiting for 16.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-19 at 01:29 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Sounds interesting.
    I'm going to be out until the beginning of August so I probably won't be able to post.

. .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Warpzzz#4020, feel free to DM.
    -HEY! Jailbreak! Helloooo we have a jailbreak over-SQUILCH Ah crap.
    Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds good to me.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

Premise accepted! sounds awesome

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Interested

15. - Top - End - #15

ClericGuy

I was checking this thread every so often without posting, but that premise definetly hooked me, it sounds awesome and I'm totally in

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like the premise. Looking forward to seeing the 16.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Big Sixteen

1. What game system are you running, and if applicable what edition? D&D 3.P (When I say 3.P I mean default to 3.5 and you may bring in or request content that was never updated (3.0) or new content that doesn't have a 3.5 analogue (PF))

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game? Hack and Slash Dungeon Crawl loosely set in the Greyhawk universe.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 5 Players, i.e. 4 spots not including Heavenblade

4. What's the gaming medium? OOTS Forums

5. What is the characters' starting status? ECL 12*

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Pathfinder WBL, so 108,000 gp, no more than 27,000 of which can be spent on a single item. However, each character is backed by a powerful organization, see below, that has supplied them with a single item worth up to 100,000 gp (this is completely separate from their starting wealth).

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    No preference, go nuts. No homebrew

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Any. No homebrew
    *-If you pick a race with a level adjustment the buy-off rule is in effect. However, if you have completely bought off your LA (only possible for races with less than a +3 LA at this point) you begin play at: 66,000 XP - (Original LA+1)2x1000. Meaning you will start play as an ECL 11 character at either 62,000 XP (with a +1 LA race) or 57,000 XP (with a +2 LA race).

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 32 Pathfinder Point-Buy. HPs are maxed

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? You are literally fighting to save the world from utter annihilation. Everybody who is not completely insane is getting behind this.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No penalty, go nuts

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Everybody will be doing their own rolling

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    • Fractional BAB and Saves
    • Players may select up to two traits and up to two flaws
    • Pathfinder feat progression, so feats at every odd level
    • 5th edition ability increases (+2 to one or +1 to two)
    • Once a class skill, always a class skill. And retroactive skill points. For the sake of everybody's sanity
    • Feat Taxes are up for discussion. Already ruled are the following:
      • Combat Expertise, Point Blank Shot, and Power Attack are never prerequisites for anything anymore.
      • Finesse is a weapon quality and not a feat.
      • 3.5 Dodge is replaced by Pathfinder Dodge merged with Mobility.
      • Improved TWF is merged with Greater TWF and comes online when BAB reaches the appropriate level.
      • Everybody is treated as having the Quick Draw feat at +1 BAB and above (this is for action economy and prerequisite purposes only, no funny business).

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Skirt length backgrounds. Each character is seen as a hero/champion of some interested party, be that a nation, guild, church, etc. and you have been sent to the Council of Hommlet to lend your aid in putting down the Dark God. The game will start with the Council sharing what knowledge and aid they can, then the champions will be selected (most likely the 5 party members ) and sent to put down the evil growing beneath the ruins of the old Temple.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? There will be lots of fighting, some puzzles, and as much roleplaying as the players wish to engage in

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Please stick to first-party content, no Dragon Mag or Tome of Battle. Otherwise just cite your sources and please help a humble GM to follow what you're trying to do with your builds. Clearly this will be a fairly high powered game, however I would ask that nobody go full Pun-Pun. I reserve the right to bring down the ban hammer on anything I deem outrageously cheesy. This game is not an exercise in optimization.

Player Concept Sheet
    Heavenblade Smiting Rusher (Paladin/Binder/Ordained Champion) Not yet
    Kinem Spirit Shaman Summoner Yitzhak Nadim (revisions pending)
    Debatra Teamwork focused tank Tobul Amshem (Needs Examination)
    Aegis013 Battlefield Control Incarnum Darius (Needs Examination)
    A.A.King Dwarvish Holy Psion Strogrear Platefall (Needs Examination)
    LairdMaon Dragonborn Warforged (clarification needed) Hand, Emissary of the Dragon Counsel (Needs Examination)
    Yas392 Halfling fey bard Roman, the strongheart halfling bard (Needs Examination)
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-06-23 at 06:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

sound great

Edit
    the ban hammer on anything I deem outrageously cheesy.
    Question on "cheesy" as that is subjective.
    >>EXAMPLE<<
    cleric DMM (persistant) -> turn undead, rebuke undead, rebuke dragons, turn/rebuke elements, plants ect...all fuel for the turn pool buff cleric

all raw legal but is it outrageously cheesy ?

same applies to something like the chaos shuffle is it outrageously cheesy ?
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-19 at 11:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This looks like a great game, I like the story.
    Let me think if I have any good character ideas that should join this adventure.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    sound great

Edit
    Question on "cheesy" as that is subjective.
    >>EXAMPLE<<
    cleric DMM (persistant) -> turn undead, rebuke undead, rebuke dragons, turn/rebuke elements, plants ect...all fuel for the turn pool buff cleric

all raw legal but is it outrageously cheesy ?

same applies to something like the chaos shuffle is it outrageously cheesy ?
    Yes, of course cheese is subjective, this is why I prefaced that statement with a request that people clearly communicate the aims of their builds. That way I can rule on cheese before people get too far down the road of character creation.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone incorporating DMM into a build, but I would object to someone spending their entire starting wealth on nightsticks to DMM every cleric buff above 4th level. Also when it comes to alternate turning pools, I would get pedantic and point out that DMM specifically requires the use of a turn or rebuke undead attempt, just because you can turn or rebuke something else using the same mechanics does not mean those things become undead so the attempt is not a turn or rebuke undead attempt.

Chaos shuffle falls squarely under the ban hammer, as does pretty much any situation where you get something for nothing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

quick class benefit question
    as I am debating the build, if I take warlock , can I use the DFA-invocations as part of the warlocks OR would I need levels in DFA?

edit Race
    Petal mm3 p120 (cohort LA+2) is this LA+2
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-20 at 12:16 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

quick class benefit question
    as I am debating the build, if I take warlock , can I use the DFA-invocations as part of the warlocks OR would I need levels in DFA?

edit Race
    Petal mm3 p120 (cohort LA+2) is this LA+2
    You would need to take the associated class to get access to its invocations, the same way you would need to take the associated class to get access to its spell list.

No, a cohort LA does not translate to a PC LA. Petals are not an acceptable race.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Currently thinking of going either utility PF bard or pure blaster (may change). Before I build my character, I have a couple of questions.

(1) Dragonlance sources 1st party?
    (2) If I go PF sorcerer, do I get all spells from 3.5 list (also 3.0 if applicable and not updated)?
    (3) Are variant rules in play; combat stamina, words of power, background skills?
    (4) Once a class skill always a class skill?
    (5) For same spells from both system, does PF entry takes precedent over 3.5?
    (6) Is no feat tax rule in play?
    (7) Bonus from the ability scores from difference sources stacking (for example, shiba protector & soulbow adding wisdom to damage)?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-20 at 09:13 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Currently thinking of going either utility PF bard or pure blaster (may change). Before I build my character, I have a couple of questions.

(1) Dragonlance sources 1st party?
    (2) If I go PF sorcerer, do I get all spells from 3.5 list (also 3.0 if applicable and not updated)?
    (3) Are variant rules in play; combat stamina, words of power, background skills?
    (4) Once a class skill always a class skill?
    (5) For spells, does PF entry takes precedent over 3.5?
    (6) Is no feat tax rule in play?
    (7) Bonus from the ability scores from difference sources stacking (for example, shiba protector & soulbow adding wisdom to damage)?

for all pathfinder related answers
    from what I have gathered the gm is using 3.x for races and classes and pathfinder only for a few odd bits- I could be wrong they may post something different here.

Answers 3.x
    dragonlance campaign setting is 1st, legend of the twins is debatable 1st or 3rd, all others most likely 3rd
    as far as I know if a 3.0 is not updated somewhere it should be okay to use and where the GM has banned dragon magazine that also opens up oreintal adventures original as a whole which I am thinking about as well
    class skill: depends on the gm, but standard 3.5 rules have it as once you get it as a class skill you can put full ranks into it but if a class does not have it then its a cross class unless something specifically says otherwise
    on ability scores if the "Bonus Type's" are different they would stack, and untyped always stacks

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

My tentative build is paladin of freedom 2/binder 8/ordained champion 2
    still need to figure out feats, but Im probably going to combine smiting power with a bull rush build

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

This sounds very interesting, especially the idea of having a single super powerful magic item from your organisation. Trying to think of something good for this one.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

TheBarbecueChip - How comfortable are you with Magic of Incarnum? I'm considering making a character heavily using that source material.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Interest...

My first instinct was a duskblade/chameleon, but that's not that different a concept from heartblade's, although he is a binder rather than a spellcaster...

What would you feel about a Midgard dwarf (from Frostburn)? Basically you end up with big stats, and all your items being custom-crafted, but are otherwise a basic fighter.
    Last edited by Togo; 2019-06-20 at 08:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

GM: question on begin play at: 66,000 XP - (Original LA+1)2x1000 for 62,000 at LA +1
    UA has:
    The character must pay an amount of XP equal to (current ECL – 1) × 1,000. This amount is immediately deducted from the character’s XP total
    +1 3
    +2 6, 9
    +3 9, 15, 18

I plan to play the race below, please explain the discrepancy in the numbers

Maug (FF p121)
    Template: Incarnate construct (SS p120)

Spoiler: Incarnate Maug
    Show

type changes to giant
    Large size
    HD:2d8
    speed 40ft
    natrual armor +7
    str +10 dex +4 con +0 int +2 wis +0 cha +2
    base attack bonus +1 1⁄2
    Fort +3 Ref +2⁄3 Will +2⁄3
    Feat: 1 from HD
    bonus feat: alertness
    skill points equal to 5 × (8 + Int modifier)
    class skills are Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Listen, Profession, Spot, and Survival
    +4 racial bonus on Craft (stonemasonry) and Knowledge (architecture and engineering) checks
    languages: Common, Draconic, Giant. Bonus Languages: Any
    LA +1
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-20 at 09:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

for all pathfinder related answers
    from what I have gathered the gm is using 3.x for races and classes and pathfinder only for a few odd bits- I could be wrong they may post something different here.

Answers 3.x
    dragonlance campaign setting is 1st, legend of the twins is debatable 1st or 3rd, all others most likely 3rd
    as far as I know if a 3.0 is not updated somewhere it should be okay to use and where the GM has banned dragon magazine that also opens up oreintal adventures original as a whole which I am thinking about as well
    class skill: depends on the gm, but standard 3.5 rules have it as once you get it as a class skill you can put full ranks into it but if a class does not have it then its a cross class unless something specifically says otherwise
    on ability scores if the "Bonus Type's" are different they would stack, and untyped always stacks
    Questions were directed towards the DM.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-06-20 at 10:40 AM.