New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Not really an issue, but rather a board question

Not sure if it belongs here, but I was wondering if there was a way to easily copy all the posts (including the spoilers opened) of a single thread. The reason I'm asking is that we just finished part one of an PbP adventure and I would like to keep it. I've noticed that board threads tend to dissapear after a while and I want to be able to reference back to this one if needed. I thought about just selecting the text and copying it into a word document, but it also copies the avatars and all that information, taking forever to remove it and just keep the stuff I need.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Not really an issue, but rather a board question

Take a look under "Thread Tools" in the upper right (below the yellow bar that exhorts you to read the forum rules). You should be able to get a printable version that way.

HOWEVER, also note that we SELDOM disappear threads, aside from SPAM or ones that have been otherwise gotten too broken to work. What MAY be happening is that Thread Display options default to 45 days; if you change it to longer, you will be able to see the older threads (but don't post in them!)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Take a look under "Thread Tools" in the upper right (below the yellow bar that exhorts you to read the forum rules). You should be able to get a printable version that way.
    (Mark, AFAICR, the printable version has issues with spoilers - it doesn't open them, nor allow them to be opened; it's a known issue)

Spoiler: test
    Show
    Inaccessible text

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-14 at 12:50 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like to suggest the Archive of the forum. At the bottom of the website there's a banner with a link to it.

Just as an example, this is the link to this specific thread - and as you can see it shows the contents of the spoiler tags as normal text.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    I'd like to suggest the Archive of the forum. At the bottom of the website there's a banner with a link to it.

Just as an example, this is the link to this specific thread - and as you can see it shows the contents of the spoiler tags as normal text.
    Nice, did not know about it. Unfortunately, while it works for spoilers by removing the bbcode, the same process breaks quotes, such that it's hard to tell who said what, and who is instead quoting what someone else said.

It also still retains much of "the avatars and all that information" (which I'm taking to mean time of posting, and the like).

Still, thank you for pointing this out.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The archive looks quite nice. The amount of extra information I would have to remove is a lot less, so that would help. The only problem would be searching for the right thread, but the search button will help me there I guess.

Also I thought that the threads did got removed. Thanks for pointing it out that they don't.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

HOWEVER, also note that we SELDOM disappear threads, aside from SPAM or ones that have been otherwise gotten too broken to work. What MAY be happening is that Thread Display options default to 45 days; if you change it to longer, you will be able to see the older threads (but don't post in them!)
    This is generally true, but everyone should keep an eye on the thread expiry time listed in the descriptions of some forums (like OOC, Finding Players, and Message Board Games, for example).
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    The archive looks quite nice. The amount of extra information I would have to remove is a lot less, so that would help. The only problem would be searching for the right thread, but the search button will help me there I guess.
    It is actually really easy if you are willing to fiddle with the page URL.
    Thread on the regular forum have the form:

Code:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?XXXXXX-[thread_title]
    where XXXXXX is the thread number. Archived threads have URLs in the form:

Code:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-XXXXXX.html
    Simply copy the XXXXXX from the thread of your interest, and paste it in the archive URL.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's not working for me. When I open "Show Printable Version" it just snows me the same page in a different format; it doesn't show all the posts in the thread
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    It's not working for me. When I open "Show Printable Version" it just snows me the same page in a different format; it doesn't show all the posts in the thread
    It's not supposed to. It's supposed to show the thread in a simplified way (stripping out most of the code) that facilitates printing or indeed copy-pasting it, as per the OP's requirements.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-15 at 12:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

The OP asked about copying ALL the posts of a thread though.

In my own personal experience, having to go through page by page is the biggest time sink when trying to save an entire thread.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-07-15 at 03:17 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)