New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: LP Baldur's Gate Saga Blind! How could this go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Assassin? That's weird. In my version of the game, Montaron is a Fighter/Thief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telarii View Post
    After a quick google search, I've discovered The Gibberlings 3 and their mods! So what I've gone and done is installed BG2 Tweaks mod, which as far as I understand should make things more consistent and let me stack up stuff. Because screw each gem taking up an inventory slot. It should also make stats consistent. I also downloaded BG1 NPCs and the music pack that is supposed to make the character's personalities more in-line with their BG2 portrayals. If you guys can think of any additional modifications I should add to the game, please feel free to let me know!
    . .

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Wand of Sleep? Wand of Frost? Wand of Lightning? Scroll of Cloudkill?
    I decidedly hate useables, especially if they FEEL like cheating in the way how overpowered these wands are.

So your wizard can't cast a 5th level spell yet? Here is a scroll, murderizing the next encounter. That is not engaging gameplay imho, that is "press x to win".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I decidedly hate useables, especially if they FEEL like cheating in the way how overpowered these wands are.

So your wizard can't cast a 5th level spell yet? Here is a scroll, murderizing the next encounter. That is not engaging gameplay imho, that is "press x to win".
    I love usables because finding out the right moments to use them diversifies my gameplay, allows me to pass encounters without save/load bruteforcing or crossing fingers that stuff will work, and most wands are literally just Regular-Mage-Spell-on-a-Stick, except it lets you avoid sleeping after every encounter that could use any magic in it. The first time I learned to actually use my resources I felt smart that I've graduated from being the sorta player that hoards every single item until the final battle "because what if I need this item even later?".

There's also very few Scrolls of Cloudkill in the entire game, and you likely want to keep one around for your actual Mage(s) to learn how to Cloudkill at level cap.

Those items seem far less harmless than an
    Spoiler: actual spoiler
    Show
    item that was a pixel-hunting secret until the era of BG1->BG2 conversions made the concept of one-pixel stashes outdated because you just TAB and find it by yourself without a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

It's always entertaining and a little nostalgic to see someone experience a game I know so well for the first time.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

My gamble pays off, as the resting screen fades away to show a fully healed party...and that two days have passed.
    One of the options is a "Rest until fully healed" toggle. I'd recommend unchecking it, you can always rest more manually if you need it.

I don't think Khalid will ever succeed a fear check
    He is certainly the easiest party member to lose a morale check.

That being said, if I lose a party member would it be better to reload or try to drag them to a priest? I'm tempted to try and Nuzlocke this thing, but I have a feeling that that may be more of an effort in frustration than anything else...
    Myself, I had no qualms about reloading on an unlucky, or permanent, death, but some instances were just not preventable without excessive savescumming. It's a good thing Raise Dead is so much cheaper in the game than in the tabletop.

That was a pretty great start, by the way. I remember having a lot more difficulty with everything you've encountered so far. Especially that damn mage at the Inn's stairs.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    That was a pretty great start, by the way. I remember having a lot more difficulty with everything you've encountered so far. Especially that damn mage at the Inn's stairs.
    He can be pretty variable depending on how his first couple of spells go. He starts with Mirror Image then Horror, and if a bunch of the party fails their saves it can all go quite badly. (Using Imoen's Wand of Magic Missile is the usual way of interrupting his mirror image and that tends to ruin his day pretty fast).

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    [Khalid] is certainly the easiest party member to lose a morale check.
    His spell save is not good (and he is in direct competition with Jaheira who has an early game advantage of -2 to her spell save) but his save vs. fear eventually becomes better than hers (by virtue of levelling faster). This offtopic aside, I don't see any reason why Khalid would bail earlier than her but I FEEL my anecdotal evidence matches yours.

Is there a page where the morale thresholds are displayed? The only thing I remember is my group panicking in front of

Spoiler: BG 2 spoiler
    Show

Firkraag in BG 2 which is entirely reasonable when facing a gigantic red dragon.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

BG has a morale system which is separate from fear and saves. Taking large amounts of damage or seeing allies die causes morale damage and eventually they fail their morale check and panic.

It’s super hard to make it happen to anyone but Khalid or Garrick though.

Also there’s not a full list of what causes morale loss.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I seem to remember there was a morale system in 1e, which was basically never used. Did it make it into 2e?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Enemies had listed numerical morale in 2ed. Not sure about exactly how that was checked mechanically.

In Baldur's Gate, your companions are checked to see if they fail morale (which causes them to run away: Condition Running, run around randomly: Condition Panic, or attack the nearest character friend or foe: Condition Berserk) when they hit certain hit point percentage thresholds. Khalid ironically suffers from being a fighter with a high Constitution; he's only slightly more likely to fail a morale check than average when he makes one, but he's a lot more likely than most to be in a state where he hit the threshold for a morale check and didn't die.

A couple companions can't fail morale at all. The PC will never fail morale; it takes actual magic to take away your control of your own character.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minsc, the ranger mentioned in the thread-starting post, is one; the game's sole paladin companion is another.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Tarnesh is probably the biggest stumbling blocks in all of BG1 IMHO, if you don't interupt his mirror image (about 50/50 due to the super bad THACO at low levels), almost every single party member is going to fail that fear check and you WILL lose someone. Granted, there's a cleric about 20 feet away in the inn, but it's pretty demoralising to get punked so hard so early.

On the other hand, if you do manage to interupt his MI, or you don't, but get lucky and interupt his Horror through the MI, then he's a total pushover 'cause he's a squishy caster with no defences up and you've got 4-6 stooges to beat on him.

Very interesting to see someone play this blind, as like most others here, I sort of just accept BG as an institution that everyone interested in DnD has played at some point, so yeah, please continue with it, it's refreshing to see.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

I remember waaaay back in the day my brothers (I wasn't yet old enough to play) hit a brick wall with Tarnesh. Eventually they figured out to all run inside the Inn while he was casting his mirror image, recruit Jaheira, use her potion of invisibility to keep him at the base of the stairs but within a character's vision so the guards would beat him to death. They felt awfully clever about it.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

My case is different, used BG2 a lot but barely touched the first part.

Don't know how another sequel is possible though