New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I know exactly enough cursive to sign my name in it's various permutations and have excised all other knowledge related to it from my brain because it is functionally useless in every single way other than that one particular use-case of signing my name on legal docs.
    Same here.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes and arguments lead to name-calling and trolling until the mods and the admin gods intervene.
    A number do, yes, but many start civil, stay civil and end civil, and are quite fun to participate in. Even those where I strongly disagree with the opposing side.

I'm not sure if the OotS subforum still remembers the "Morally Justified" threads, but that's a bit of GitP history I actually was a part of myself. It was the prime example of overly invested nerds with unchanging stances doing an endless back-and-forth about a mostly irrelevant subject, but it was also something I remember with fondness.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Good grief, Teddy, you now remind me of the wall-of-text monstrosities from the past... I do not have the patience to quote the same way I used to 5-6 years ago, indeed.
    I have the patience, but not the time. And I don't really feel I've got as much to talk about nowadays, nor as engaged by what others are talking about (not sure if that's just attitude, though).

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Actually, that bugs me, why is the tendency to write in script/cursive getting so rare? [...]
    I think you actually answered that question yourself:
    [...] Then in I think year 3 (might have been year 2) we were taught to write in script, with the basics taught in one lession. Then just handwriting practice every week until by year 5 everybody could write in script. [...]
    Three years of weekly classes is a lot of study time, and given that school curriculums have had a tendency to grow over time, less essential skills have silently had to give way just to make space in the schedule.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

I know exactly enough cursive to sign my name in it's various permutations and have excised all other knowledge related to it from my brain because it is functionally useless in every single way other than that one particular use-case of signing my name on legal docs.
    There are minor benefits (mainly increased reading and writing speed, and even then not for everybody), but I'll agree that it's becoming less useful.

On the other hand, in the 2060s it'll allow you to read secret troll documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post

Three years of weekly classes is a lot of study time, and given that school curriculums have had a tendency to grow over time, less essential skills have silently had to give way just to make space in the schedule.
    I might have oversold the amount of time spent on it (5-10 minutes once a week), but I'll agree that keeping it up for two and a half years was unusual.

What really confuses me is that schools don't teach touch typing. It's a significantly more useful skill, even if it does take about six solid days to learn.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

What if you decide you need to sign other people's names on legal documents? You're just not leaving your options open here.

I pretty much just use cursive for name-signing and for some variables in math. I've found that cursive is a good way to keep my b's from turning into 6's halfway through, and also to keep my l's from turning into 1's. I have yet to find a good way to keep my s's from turning into 5's, so I just try not to use those much.

I had a complicated relationship with handwriting growing up, though. My grandma taught in the next school district over, and they used D'Nealian (the one with the k's that look like r's) so she taught me that to get a head start, but my school district used Cursive Italic, so I was basically learning two different (and somewhat "weird") ways of making each letter.

Then in 6th grade, in that same "we use cursive italic" district, I had a teacher who didn't like it and the hill she would die on is that we would all learn "regular" cursive, which all papers had to be handwritten in (in ink) because she thought it was a better system than cursive italic and we'd "need it in high school". She did not allow typed papers. I would note that that was in the 90s and I had been typing my school papers for years by then (we'd gotten a computer back when I was in kindergarten).

So I basically have 3 different cursive fonts having a fight in my brain when I try to write anything longhand, and the results are erratic and only occasionally legible. For a brief, shining moment the year I took Russian in high school I had better cursive handwriting in Cyrillic than I did in my native language and character set, because while I had to think carefully about what sounds they made and was definitely still working on basic reading and writing at least I only knew one way of writing those letters.

In college I was finally diagnosed with dysgraphia. I probably would have had that anyway, but the jumbled mess of competing handwriting systems I was taught as a kid did not help matters.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    A number do, yes, but many starts civil, stay civil and end civil, and are quite fun to participate in. Even those where I strongly disagree with the opposing side.

I'm not sure if the OotS subforum still remembers the "Morally Justified" threads, but that's a bit of GitP history I actually was a part of myself. It was the prime example of overly invested nerds with unchanging stances doing an endless back-and-forth about a mostly irrelevant subject, but it was also something I remember with fondness.

I have the patience, but not the time. And I don't really feel I've got as much to talk about nowadays, nor as engaged by what others are talking about (not sure if that's just attitude, though).

Three years of weekly classes is a lot of study time, and given that school, curriculums have had a tendency to grow over time, less essential skills have silently had to give way just to make space in the schedule.
    I do agree to some extent but at other times is a huge conflict of war. I guess I could tell you one thread is about the "Tier Vs. Anti-Tier" which I made the thread by the way. It was a huge trainwreck there was so much name-calling and trolling with my old thread which prompts me to summon the Admin God to close the thread.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-06-27 at 07:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I was on the tail end of learning cursive, as we did it for a few months and then just stopped, never to do it again. To this day, I can't read or write cursive and a lot of my peers couldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    In college I was finally diagnosed with dysgraphia. I probably would have had that anyway, but the jumbled mess of competing handwriting systems I was taught as a kid did not help matters.
    Huh. Well, I'm just using this as an excuse to never learn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Huh. Well, I'm just using this as an excuse to never learn it.
    Unless you actually have dysgraphia, please don't. Pretending to have a condition you don't have when it is a real burden on the people who suffer from it is not cool.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-06-27 at 04:53 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Unless you actually have dysgraphia, please don't. Pretending to have a condition you don't have when it is a real burden on the people who suffer from it is not cool.
    Actually, I do. Well, probably. Never been officially tested.

Through only old people really use cursive from my experience, and I haven't ever needed to deal with it unless my Mom tries to hand me a grocery list.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

The weather around here is usually unpredictable and wet, but not this unpredictable or this wet!
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    The weather around here is usually unpredictable and wet, but not this unpredictable or this wet!
    I feel like I would be able to comment more on this if we either had some context of what the weather is like, or where you are.

Or I could stalk your posts, but I always feel weird doing that.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I feel like I would be able to comment more on this if we either had some context of what the weather is like, or where you are.
    Skagit County, Washington( State).

Incidentally, it has returned to a regular level of wet.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-06-27 at 05:52 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Barbarian in the Playground

When I had woke from my induced coma, not only did I have to learn to walk, awaken my left arm and learn to re-categorize my memory, but I had to learn to write again - first I printed in double line spacing [such as a second or third grader], then single line then cursive. It was a fun challenge. it took me about 6 months.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

13. - Top - End - #403
    Bugbear in the Playground

We've been getting daily thunderstorms here. I am a fan of it raining a lot right before fourth of July (I root for "downright soggy" because it leads to fewer firework-caused fires), but I have to say I prefer when it can be quieter about it. Still better than the really dry Junes we've had in recent years, though.

Also, I've been off school for about a week now and have, as I basically always do if I don't set an alarm every day and enforce some kind of standard, lapsed into staying awake until the sun comes back up again, at which point I realize I should have been sleeping. I've always been kind of curious if it would just keep advancing by another few hours each day gradually all the way around the clock or if I'd stabilize as a just a day-sleeper, but generally some need to interact with the rest of the world at a reasonable hour keeps me from fully pursuing that possibility. I kind of suspect my body just wants to be on a 26-27 hour day.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Also, I've been off school for about a week now and have, as I basically always do if I don't set an alarm every day and enforce some kind of standard, lapsed into staying awake until the sun comes back up again, at which point I realize I should have been sleeping. I've always been kind of curious if it would just keep advancing by another few hours each day gradually all the way around the clock or if I'd stabilize as a just a day-sleeper, but generally some need to interact with the rest of the world at a reasonable hour keeps me from fully pursuing that possibility. I kind of suspect my body just wants to be on a 26-27 hour day.
    I tried doing 27 hour days one summer to reset a broken sleep schedule, and it was torturous. Despite sleeping for 9 hours every "day", I was feeling tired and nauseous as if I was pulling all-nighters, and unlike an all-nighter, it continued for several days. The worst part was when I would go to sleep in the middle of the day and wake up at sunset, and I didn't feel refreshed at all until after the first time I went to bed after 18 again.

From that little experiment, I concluded that it's in my nature to go to bed sometime between 2 and 4 in the morning that has me pushing bedtime as soon as I get the chance, and not that my internal clock prefers days (significantly) longer than 24 hours.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

The following is meant as a joke, not a real advertisement. The product itself is real, but I don't have any stake in whether you buy it or not.
    Everyone knows snake-oil has no real benefits... but the UNreal benefits of this faux-reptilian fluid are AMAZING!

Spoiler: They say it hydrates even better than water does...
    Show
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-06-28 at 07:42 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The following is meant as a joke, not a real advertisement. The product itself is real, but I don't have any stake in whether you buy it or not.
    I prefer Brawndo. It's got electrolytes!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

I'm extremely pro-cursive. It's very beneficial for learning your own personal handwriting style, and how to make it as fast as possible and as eligible as possible for yourself to read. It has been noted that handwriting pace and quality has lowered quite a bit after introducing only "regular" handwriting to the curriculum, in Finland at least. Cursive also helps with drawing and general hand motor control. No matter how digital we are, I just believe it's essential that we also learn to produce written text in a way that feels comfortable. If you've had ****ty cursive teaching I'm not gonna take that away from you, but my point stands, cursive is important. Probably just needs to be taught with a different attitude.

Also, as an interesting, related note - kids these days don't know what a signature is, really. They just type out their name, which takes a lot of time and is, to an extent, easier to forge. And I mean, your signature doesn't even need to be your name. My friend has this stick animal figure, has had it for decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'll admit that I should take up cursive again. I had a frustrating time with it, as I have a fine motor delay, which makes my writing slow due to difficulties getting things from my brain onto paper. Typing uses a different neuro network that bypasses this. Combine with most writing I have done in the last while requiring printing (drafting, along with a lot of forms I have filled), and it ends up being rare that I need to write much other than numbers for maths.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-06-28 at 05:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409

IIRC, I had great classes teaching cursive. I have no problem reading or writing in it, I just never actually do write with it. It's more or less pointless in everyday life. That's something I don't mind at all going out.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Also, as an interesting, related note - kids these days don't know what a signature is, really. They just type out their name, which takes a lot of time and is, to an extent, easier to forge. And I mean, your signature doesn't even need to be your name. My friend has this stick animal figure, has had it for decades.
    My signature has gone through variations other the past decade, originally being just my first name but fancy, then first initial and quickly written surname, eventually evolving into my first innitial and a squiggle I make if I try to write my surname in under the second (that can vary, but most of the time it stays increcibly close, approximately four loops)). Unfortunately it does mean as my signature has become harder to forge it's become somewhat more difficult to deal with official stuff from my teens.

But yeah. While script/cursive isn't strictly required learning it is useful. Most of my siblings and I all learnt the same basic style of script, and we have similar writing styles (all somewhat loopy to retain writing speed, but remaining fairly legible for others). As in, what I can write in a second can take some people up to four seconds to write (half of which is spent raising and lowering the pen).

Also I really need to get myself a new catridge pen, I much prefer them to biros but always seem to lose them.

EDIT: I should note that I write almost exclusively in script. Unless I'm specifically told to use print or capitals I'll use script, because the great increase in speed is worth a minor drop in legibility.

EDIT2: Here's my handwriting in print versus script
    Spoiler: img
    Show

As you can see, it's not significantly more difficult to read, and writing it took half the time compared to print.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-06-28 at 05:43 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I feel like there's so a lot of incompetence in the postal service. Last Thursday I mail my letter to my female penpal and she told me that she got my letter today. The mail service was very slow. Normally my letter usually took 3 days to get it but 8 days?! That"s unacceptable.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like there's so a lot of incompetence in the postal service. Last Thursday I mail my letter to my female penpal and she told me that she got my letter today. The mail service was very slow. Normally my letter usually took 3 days to get it but 8 days?! That"s unacceptable.
    If by "unacceptable" you mean "within standard estimated times" then yes. A plain white envelope takes 2-9 days on average to be delivered.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

My signature has gone through variations other the past decade, originally being just my first name but fancy, then first initial and quickly written surname, eventually evolving into my first innitial and a squiggle I make if I try to write my surname
    I kind of went the opposite direction--when I first signed stuff I used full first and last time, but over time the amount of my last name I used shrunk until nowadays it's first name and last initial.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    When I work from home (say, when something crashes over the weekend), I use my personal laptop (mac) to vpn into a secure windows machine to bridge into the office network, so I can remote into my actual work desktop (where all my specialised software is installed), from which I ssh into the unix box with the servers. At which point, depending on the issue, I might have to remote to the DB servers.

Surprisingly, the speed at the far end of that chain is quite good. The response time of commands is just a tiny bit sluggish, but not even that bad.

Grey Wolf
    I think my best was when I was programming an IP-over-radio system. I was working from home, so I was ssh'ing over VPN to my Linux workstation, from which I then did a telnet to the embedded system box on one of the connection, from which I telnet'ed over my newly-programmed radio connection (using a hardline for the radio, didn't want to irradiate my coworkers) to the embedded system on the other end of the link.

I don't know about the speed, but I did manage to find a good bug where max-size TCP packets would perma-jam my packet encoding/decoding system. 'cat large_file' caused the link to go dead. Almost didn't catch it because I was mostly playing around with less-output-intensive commands.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    If by "unacceptable" you mean "within standard estimated times" then yes. A plain white envelope takes 2-9 days on average to be delivered.
    Yes, that what I mean. 9 days?! Wow! Unbelievable.

26. - Top - End - #416

Yes, that what I mean. 9 days?! Wow! Unbelievable.
    You could always use one of the private companies, which would be significantly more expensive.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You could always use one of the private companies, which would be significantly more expensive.
    Private companies? Tell me more about it.

28. - Top - End - #418

Private companies? Tell me more about it.
    FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. They'll do it, but you'll be paying a whole heck of a lot more.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. They'll do it, but you'll be paying a whole heck of a lot more.
    How much are we talking about here anyway?

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Do you not have First Class Post in the US? You know, stamps cost less than a quid each, delivery within two days...

Show