New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Were you by chance allergic to a relative or a constant?
    I just said we don't know what it was.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I honestly don't see how having all those tabs open is actually convenient in any way. They'll be so small that you have to pixel hunt to find the one you want, whereas bookmarks will generally always have their full name and can also be organised into sub-menus, meaning you don't have to scroll through all 500 of them if you have a rough idea what you're looking for.
    See, this is how I can pick out that you're a Chrome user. Or maybe some other browser who abides to the absolutely ridiculous idea that every tab has to be on screen at the same time. Firefox has a minimum size for its tabs; I estimate it to about 65-70 pixels, which is enough to show the favicon and the first 5-6 letters of the page header, which in turn usually is enough to identify a page (and if it isn't, I might be in for a pleasant surprise if I'd forgotten something nice I left open).

My browser displays 18.5 tabs at a time, so at its height it would have been about 25 windows worth of tabs. I spend most of my time browsing the first two screens of tabs, which contain pages I always visit, like GitP, Wikipedia and assorted webcomics, and the last two-or-so screens, which contain whatever I opened most recently. To jump between these, I use Ctrl + 1 and Ctrl + 9 respectively. The part in the middle is basically the archive, but it also contains some very large blobs of pages which I visit semi-regularly. To get to these, I use the drop-down menu, which shows twice the number of tabs with roughly 60 characters of their title, and has a scroll bar for quick navigation.

All in all, it's not the most elegant solution for managing such a large number of tabs, but it's hardly inconvenient for someone whose head works like mine. Admittedly, there might not be very many of those, but luckily for me, I happen to be one of them.

ION:
    Managed to allocate some timergy to gaming night tonight, and got to try Root for the first time. I heard good things about this game, and so far it has pleased me greatly. I love the fully asymmetric gameplay, since it makes it a lot harder to predict who really has the advantage, and who really will benefit the most from different player actions and conflicts.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #723
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I just said we don't know what it was.
    Eh, they can't all be winners.

Spoiler: Dissecting the frog
    Show
    You said you lived in relative constant fear, which I jokingly interpreted as fear of a relative or a mathematical constant. Which, to be fair, would be an incredibly impressive thing to be allergic to.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I use Firefox with tree-style tabs, which puts tabs in a vertical bar (the same as history or bookmarks) and allows groups of tabs to collapse into a single row (nested indefinitely). As such, I can have thirty tabs visible at once without any need to reduce the amount of space to show the title of each (or can increase or reduce the width of the bar as necessary).

It also allows pinning tabs, which reduces them to just favicons so I can fit eight tabs in one row (at the current width).

As such, I have forty-six tabs right now, most of them are visible, and they're organized to make it easy to find any given tab and to act as a mnemonic of why I saved that tab to begin with.

(this is all just things-I-started-looking-at-and-want-to-get-back-to; things-I-want-for-reference are in bookmarks).
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #725
    Colossus in the Playground

I had an allergic reaction once. To this day, we still don’t know to what. I live in constant relative fear.
    God, that sucks. You get all the anxiety of being allergic but without any of the actual support because you just don't know what caused it.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    You're both very welcome.

I tried explaining these to my boyfriend, but he's had his tonsils removed so he'll never understand my pain and horror.
    I was eating when the first ever surfaced. I bit into it thinking it was just a bit of food. Nope. Nope. Nope.
    My kid sister's first husband and his brother use to get strep throat so their tonsils are scarred and they called these "throat boogers". I use to get them on occasion but have not for many years now. I did not know they had a medical name.

Still, ICK!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

7. - Top - End - #727

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    See, this is how I can pick out that you're a Chrome user. Or maybe some other browser who abides to the absolutely ridiculous idea that every tab has to be on screen at the same time.
    I use both Chrome and Firefox, as it happens, but I've never had more than a few tabs open at once, at least not intentionally--the most is when I "open all in tabs" my webcomics for my morning read, which I think is 10. The one time I did accidentally open a lot of tabs was probably in Chrome, though.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

To heck with push-fit Warhammer models.

My poor right thumb did nothing to deserve this pain.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    God, that sucks. You get all the anxiety of being allergic but without any of the actual support because you just don't know what caused it.
    In all honesty, it's not bad. Since it hasn't happened again it must be something I am unlikely to come in contact with (especially since this happened during a scout camp in the countryside not at home or school or work or whatever) and the reaction itslef was not particularly painful. I rarely think about it.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if allergies can just be a one-off thing, since they can come and go anyway.

Personally I've gotten to the point where I just ignore hives if minor enough since I get them so frequently. I'm probably allergic to something else, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what caused it today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I recommend not being allergic to anything ever. It's worked out quite nicely for me so far.
    Being allergic to diseases is what stops them. If you're not dead, you are allergic to diseases.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #732

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Being allergic to diseases is what stops them. If you're not dead, you are allergic to diseases.
    Allergies are abnormal immune reactions. My diseases get totally normal immune reactions. Nice try, doctor, you ain't getting me in for your fancy checkups!

13. - Top - End - #733

Allergies are abnormal immune reactions. My diseases get totally normal immune reactions. Nice try, doctor, you ain't getting me in for your fancy checkups!
    Allergies are your body reacting to stuff that it shouldn't AS THOUGH it were disease, thus the abnormality. So you're both correct.

Also don't forget to mention Lactose Intolerant people, aka the people who will stare the devil straight in the eye and chug a gallon of milk.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

I know I'm allergic to pollen, I'm just not site what kind. Obviously I need to stick my nose into every flower I find until I choke.

ION I'm somewhat sad. Tonight wad the last episode of DEAD. RINGERS. until December, and that means that Radio 4 is going to slide into less interesting tap comedy onset the next few weeks.

I mean, there's only three episodes of Clue left in the series!

On the plus side, it's not like I have to go to a funeral, so I'm not that sad.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #735

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I know I'm allergic to pollen, I'm just not site what kind. Obviously I need to stick my nose into every flower I find until I choke.
    There are different kinds? I thought people who reacted to pollen were just reacting to pollen in general.
    I mean, there's only three episodes of Clue left in the series!
    Just wait til you find out Clue had different endings depending on what theater you saw it in! Legit wondering if that movie was called "Cluedo" over there.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

There are different kinds? I thought people who reacted to pollen were just reacting to pollen in general.
    What next? Does 'the world' mean the US and Canada?

Just wait til you find out Clue had different endings depending on what theater you saw it in! Legit wondering if that movie was called "Cluedo" over there.
    I'm not sure, but I heard it was difficult to redub every mention of Mr Boddy with his real name, Dr Black.

Actually, that's what annoys me the most. Shorten the game's name all you want,but why is the distinguished Dr Black now the nobody Mr Boddy. I mean my sources indicate that you have learned individuals over there, and I might understand changing it off out jag been Lord Black (because people keep trying to convince me you don't have a peerage), but what's wrong with a names that denotes success.

Although now I want a version of Cluedo based off of The Apprentice, trying to work out who killed Lord Sugar.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. My brother, for instance, was only allergic to certain plants that were West Coast exclusive. So when travelling to somewhere on the East Coast in the middle of allergy season? Could breathe perfectly fine.

18. - Top - End - #738

What next?
    Look, when pollen has zero affect on you (except maybe making you wash the car slightly more often, but hey, that's what garages were made for) and people just complain using the most generic word they can, there's not much reason to suspect specifics.
    Does 'the world' mean the US and Canada?
    Of course not, that's ridiculous. "The world" means just the US.
    I'm not sure, but I heard it was difficult to redub every mention of Mr Boddy with his real name, Dr Black.

Actually, that's what annoys me the most. Shorten the game's name all you want,but why is the distinguished Dr Black now the nobody Mr Boddy. I mean my sources indicate that you have learned individuals over there, and I might understand changing it off out jag been Lord Black (because people keep trying to convince me you don't have a peerage), but what's wrong with a names that denotes success.
    If you wanted his name to kept as Dr. Black, then maybe you shouldn't have lost the war!
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Nope. My brother, for instance, was only allergic to certain plants that were West Coast exclusive. So when travelling to somewhere on the East Coast in the middle of allergy season? Could breathe perfectly fine.
    Note to self: don't move west, continue to believe in my perfect immune system.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-12 at 02:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Also don't forget to mention Lactose Intolerant people, aka the people who will stare the devil straight in the eye and chug a gallon of milk.
    My brother and his family own a cat. My sister-in-law is allergic to cats.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #740

To be fair there, cat. Little plump soft lazy loyal kitty. Who doesn't love a cat? People who are wrong, that's who.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair there, cat. Little plump soft lazy loyal kitty. Who doesn't love a cat? People who are wrong, that's who.
    That cat is not plump. Then again it is a weird cat.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course not, that's ridiculous. "The world" means just the US, minus those states not on the West or East Coast.
    FTFY.

This can be read in two ways, but I assume you mean that your sister WILLINGLY puts up with the cat? Because I know a ton of people like that. Meanwhile, I have to try to force lactaid on my husband. It's vanilla flavored, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Troll in the Playground

Little plump soft lazy loyal kitty.
    I'm sorry, are we still talking about cats? The loyalty of felines tends to boil down to "person who can give me what I want".

24. - Top - End - #744

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I'm sorry, are we still talking about cats? The loyalty of felines tends to boil down to "person who can give me what I want".
    They're loyal to humans. Can't speak for androids.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Some people react to many of them, but there's a type for pretty much every species of tree, every species of grass, and many species of flower (flower pollens are generally less likely to become airbourne).

Spring "hay fever" is mostly trees, hay season hay fever is mostly the grasses the name implies.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-07-12 at 03:38 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #746

Okay so I'm at work so I can't actually shout and move around and pace to work this over in my head so please stop me if you're foolin' around but.

Are you foolin' around? They called him Mr Boddy because it's a joke. They made a joke. It's an obvious and very silly joke but they did it for the laughs. The big el oh el. The lulz if you will. This is a consistent thing I've noticed between European and American adapations, the American one always makes it funnier. Just look at how Pikmin 3 is dry and lifeless in Europe vs America. This happens all the time. Across the pond people are like "ah yes, Dr Black, a distinguished individual who has now mercilessly struck down. Find his killer!" and the Americanos are like "hah, boddy cause he's a corpse."

If I had to think of any other reason why they'd change it other than purely for the comedy of it, it's because having successful people die seems anathema to American sensibilities.

Worth it.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

This is a consistent thing I've noticed between European and American adapations, the American one always makes it funnier.
    I beg your pardon?
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Cats ate loyal to humanity. Can't even get them zeroth law compliant.

Unlike the androids. We think we might have cracked the 'or through inaction alow a human to come to harm' part. The first half of it is trickier.

WRT Dr Black versus Mr Boddy, I find the way it clashes with the rest of the game to rob itself of the humour value. I mean, Dr Black even fits in with the other characters, or is the good Reverend Green now Mr Olive?

Like seriously, it is my most hated of the changes.

Also, nine times out of ten the British version is funnier. And this has nothing to do with me having an English sense of humour!

Show

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    FTFY.

This can be read in two ways, but I assume you mean that your sister WILLINGLY puts up with the cat?
    Sister-in-law*. Though my sister doesn't mind that cat, either.
    Yes, she does.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

Gynoid, thank you very much.
    Loyal so... as to wake you up in the middle of the night, demand food, scratch you if touched at inopportune times...
    Cats ate loyal to humanity. Can't even get them zeroth law compliant.

Unlike the androids. We think we might have cracked the 'or through inaction alow a human to come to harm' part. The first half of it is trickier.
    ...I feel like cats are extremely willing to have harm come through inaction.