New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Agreed. The other advantage is that emergent stories gives you the flexibility to not railroad your players.
    Which is really useful when a player tries to use the railroad as raw materials
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    The trick is to not have a script.
    Or just be really good at improvisation, as was the GM of an RPG called Star Frontiers I played many years ago. The entire scenario he had us playing just involved a monster escaping from the zoo, heading across the city to kill its keeper (who was in the hospital), and then going back, but as soon as he realised that we weren't going to stop shooting a mirror-surfaced beast with *lasers* (no, I don't know why we didn't realise the problem there either), he just threw away the scenario and played it entirely by ear, to the point where we ended up in the middle of a civil war...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    (no, I don't know why we didn't realise the problem there either)
    In my experience, that kind of situation is usually caused by people missing/misunderstanding/forgetting the initial description of the creature. Like, maybe, when described as, say "looks like a creature made of mirrors", someone pictured some very shiny scales, but not actual mirrors.

If the picture in the DM's head doesn't match the picture in the player's head, Fun! frequently occurs. This is bet exemplified with the mythical Gazebo battle, but I have experienced similar scenarios often, when in the after-battle discussion, someone says, "but wait, I thought X was going on" when Y was going on instead.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    In my experience, that kind of situation is usually caused by people missing/misunderstanding/forgetting the initial description of the creature. Like, maybe, when described as, say "looks like a creature made of mirrors", someone pictured some very shiny scales, but not actual mirrors.

If the picture in the DM's head doesn't match the picture in the player's head, Fun! frequently occurs. This is bet exemplified with the mythical Gazebo battle, but I have experienced similar scenarios often, when in the after-battle discussion, someone says, "but wait, I thought X was going on" when Y was going on instead.

Grey Wolf
    My party once took on an entire battalion of soldiers because they saw us and demanded our horses. Everyone else was willing to do so, and I thought we were dealing with 5 people right up until the end of the 1st round of combat when the other men started running to us.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of "not quite the same thing", I was just watching a YouTube video with autogenerated captions (I really hate when people who are trying to make a living at this don't properly caption their videos - seriously, if you're asking for money and this is your job rather than beer money, treat it like a real job and do all the parts!).

For whatever reason, it went with "sad tire" instead of satire. I now have a vivid, yet useless, mental image...

6. - Top - End - #96

BlackDragon

Is it even possible for Youtubers to subtitle their own videos? The automatic option might be the only one the platform offers.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Is it even possible for Youtubers to subtitle their own videos? The automatic option might be the only one the platform offers.
    I think they can, I've seen several YouTubers release already subtitled videos. There's also some that I'm fairly certain release the video, then subtitle, then make the next one, but that could just be community added subtitles.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Is it even possible for Youtubers to subtitle their own videos?
    It is. Tom Scott has a video on the subject.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-18 at 07:19 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Agreed. The other advantage is that emergent stories gives you the flexibility to not railroad your players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Which is really useful when a player tries to use the railroad as raw materials
    Yeah, in the first campaign I DMed I had a player "roll to spot the railroad tracks." I got good at improvising quick.

Or just be really good at improvisation, as was the GM of an RPG called Star Frontiers I played many years ago. The entire scenario he had us playing just involved a monster escaping from the zoo, heading across the city to kill its keeper (who was in the hospital), and then going back, but as soon as he realised that we weren't going to stop shooting a mirror-surfaced beast with *lasers* (no, I don't know why we didn't realise the problem there either), he just threw away the scenario and played it entirely by ear, to the point where we ended up in the middle of a civil war...
    Yeah, sometimes you think your players are going to infiltrate a cult, then they ask a stupidly obvious question and give identifying information about themselves so suddenly it's a fight/chase scene. No plan survives first contact with the enemy PCs.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

10. - Top - End - #100

Yeah but like with all of Youtube's back-end interface for creator's it's tricky and stupid. You can open up videos to be subtitled by anyone by the way, and as a creator you can choose what ones to keep and that's neat.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't subtitle my Youtube videos. The subtitle option is very complex and outdated.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Yeah, in the first campaign I DMed I had a player "roll to spot the railroad tracks." I got good at improvising quick.
    I was once in a game where we'd come to an unwritten agreement to follow the railroad tracks.

The end result was my character trying to roll Search to find the plot sheet every character individually followed a false lead and nobody knew what on earth was going on.

Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

An old Star Wars RPG (the 2000 version, IIRC) i was in had something like that; I don't remember the circumstances, but I remember rolling a nat 20 during an absolutely ridiculous moment after quite a large number of increasingly ridiculous moments, the DM took one of his notes, crumpled it up, threw it at me, and said, "no, you don't succeed, you get hit with the Plot Rock."

With my poor context, it sounds infinitely worse than it was; guy was a fantastic DM, that was honestly the right call, and was pretty hilarious to boot.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    An old Star Wars RPG (the 2000 version, IIRC) i was in had something like that; I don't remember the circumstances, but I remember rolling a nat 20 during an absolutely ridiculous moment after quite a large number of increasingly ridiculous moments, the DM took one of his notes, crumpled it up, threw it at me, and said, "no, you don't succeed, you get hit with the Plot Rock."

With my poor context, it sounds infinitely worse than it was; guy was a fantastic DM, that was honestly the right call, and was pretty hilarious to boot.
    At some point you have to do that. Otherwise you end up with your players having really crazy stuff going on. Playing a battletech TTRPG, we ended up taking over the underworld organisation with enough (ridiculous odds) rolls to fund R&D development that would have allowed us to punch well above our weight class.

It was fun then, but as a GM, you need to keep a bean bag around to throw at your players every so often.

15. - Top - End - #105

BlackDragon

I don't remember the circumstances, but I remember rolling a nat 20 during an absolutely ridiculous moment after quite a large number of increasingly ridiculous moments, the DM took one of his notes, crumpled it up, threw it at me, and said, "no, you don't succeed, you get hit with the Plot Rock."
    There was an RPG called Rolemaster many years ago (no idea if it still exists) which basically used percentile dice, but with a twist: if you rolled over 95 you would "roll and add", e.g. roll percentile dice again and add to the original result. This stacked, and one of the people I was playing alongside in a game rolled a natural 340 or thereabouts. Needless to say, he succeeded at whatever it was he was doing!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

One campaign I was in used the triple natural 20s for instant death houserule. It was a pirate campaign and I attacked the enemy ship at low levels with a boarding axe only to roll 3 20s. My DM ruled that crits don't work on objects to prevent me sinking the enemy pirate ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

There was an RPG called Rolemaster many years ago (no idea if it still exists) which basically used percentile dice, but with a twist: if you rolled over 95 you would "roll and add", e.g. roll percentile dice again and add to the original result. This stacked, and one of the people I was playing alongside in a game rolled a natural 340 or thereabouts. Needless to say, he succeeded at whatever it was he was doing!
    Rolemaster. Sounds like a neat game.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Rolemaster. Sounds like a neat game.

There was a simplified version called "MERP" (for 'Middle-Earth Role-playing'), which was the first RPG licensed by the Tolkien estate.

If my dim memories are accurate (a big if!), it was pretty good.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    There was a simplified version called "MERP" (for 'Middle-Earth Role-playing'), which was the first RPG licensed by the Tolkien estate.

If my dim memories are accurate (a big if!), it was pretty good.
    Cool. I might be interested to play Rolemaster and MERP!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

In the roleplaying system of Feng Shui you roll a positive and a negative d6 to calculate your roll, modifying your modifiers with the result which normally ends up between -5 and +5. However, on "interesting" checks, 6's explode, doing the same roll-and-add as Factotum described. Furthermore, if the modified roll ended up lower than 0 (before comparing against the difficulty of the roll), it was a fumble, and would apart from quite obviously being a failure (nothing had a difficulty lower than 0) also cause a negative backlash.

In a game which Zodi GMed a few years ago, my character had gotten pretty banged up after a fight and wanted to heal herself with a healing spell, as well as repair her clothes. Sorcery was by far her best skill, I think it might have been 15 at the time, but modified to 14 because she was badly injured. On the clothes repair, I rolled two negative 6s against a positive 1, and then a negative 2, for a total of 1. Had I rolled above average on that last negative die rather than below, she would have fumbled, and to quote the rules: "On a Backlash, the [clothes] is permanently destroyed and cannot be repaired by any means.". I'm... happy it didn't go there.

Now, that was the less ridiculous outcome, because on the healing spell, I managed to roll no less than 4 negative 6s in a row, netting me a total of -8 in the end. To quote the rules again: "In a Backlash, the sorcerer suffers a number of Wound Points equal to the patient’s current total.". Since, in this case, the sorcerer also was the patient, my character effectively doubled her number of wound points, bringing her so far above the threshold for dying that anything but "final words, then unavoidable death" was too much to hope for. And this is a system in which getting killed is hard.

Zodi, like any good GM, just said "Nope!" and invoked Deus Ex Machina to save my character, but I still tell the story of the time I killed my own character with a healing spell.

And, since it happened on these boards, here's the evidence.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I remember PBPs on here. All of them died pretty soon, sadly. Would like to get back into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

I find that play-by-posts in general can be pretty hard. Even when you've got some real-time OOC chat - which in my experience really helps with the lifespan - its... not an easy road.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I have a D&D dream last night:

Spoiler: My D&D Dream
    Show
    Last night I was dreaming that I was a Fighter. And I saw a female silver dragon wyrmling was being bullied by Group of Male Orcs. I told them to leave her alone, she's just a baby. The group of Orcs stop bullied and want to fight me. I sheathed my Greatsword and Power Attack them to oblivion. The female silver dragon wyrmling spoke to me in Draconic and she thank me for stopping the group of Orcs. Luckily I understand the dragon language and spoke back to her. I ask her name and she told me that her name is Tamera. I was very surprised from my knowledge that Tamera is one of the Dragon Deities. I asked where she from and she told me that she from the heavenly plane of Elysium. I ask her who do you worship? Which deity do you worship. And she said Tamera because her parents named after the dragon goddess. My mind was blown. And that was the end of my dream.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: I wonder if I can make this text, but not the content, red...
    Show
    I can't, apparently.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    In the roleplaying system of Feng Shui you roll a positive and a negative d6 to calculate your roll, modifying your modifiers with the result which normally ends up between -5 and +5. However, on "interesting" checks, 6's explode, doing the same roll-and-add as Factotum described. Furthermore, if the modified roll ended up lower than 0 (before comparing against the difficulty of the roll), it was a fumble, and would apart from quite obviously being a failure (nothing had a difficulty lower than 0) also cause a negative backlash.

In a game which Zodi GMed a few years ago, my character had gotten pretty banged up after a fight and wanted to heal herself with a healing spell, as well as repair her clothes. Sorcery was by far her best skill, I think it might have been 15 at the time, but modified to 14 because she was badly injured. On the clothes repair, I rolled two negative 6s against a positive 1, and then a negative 2, for a total of 1. Had I rolled above average on that last negative die rather than below, she would have fumbled, and to quote the rules: "On a Backlash, the [clothes] is permanently destroyed and cannot be repaired by any means.". I'm... happy it didn't go there.

Now, that was the less ridiculous outcome, because on the healing spell, I managed to roll no less than 4 negative 6s in a row, netting me a total of -8 in the end. To quote the rules again: "In a Backlash, the sorcerer suffers a number of Wound Points equal to the patient’s current total.". Since, in this case, the sorcerer also was the patient, my character effectively doubled her number of wound points, bringing her so far above the threshold for dying that anything but "final words, then unavoidable death" was too much to hope for. And this is a system in which getting killed is hard.

Zodi, like any good GM, just said "Nope!" and invoked Deus Ex Machina to save my character, but I still tell the story of the time I killed my own character with a healing spell.

And, since it happened on these boards, here's the evidence.
    Feng Shui is such a good system and Exploding Dice is SUCH a good mechanic. As is the Shuffling Off The Mortal Coil table.

Aaah god, what good memories.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

I see I need to come shed over a new thread.

Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Feng Shui is such a good system and Exploding Dice is SUCH a good mechanic. As is the Shuffling Off The Mortal Coil table.

Aaah god, what good memories.
    The whole "flashy Hong Kong action" theme suits the PBP format quite well. Reading through the combat scenes is quite entertaining even this far into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post

Spoiler: Kitteh!
    Show
    This thread has now been blessed with kittiness! The only thing which could top that would be if it was blessed with even more kittiness!

ION:
    I live very close to the train station nowadays, and often run at least part of the distance to get a few minutes better seat. Along one of the streets is a building whose bottom floor wall consists entirely of toned glass windows, acting as a giant mirror for the people passing by. And every time I run past it, I get the Tintin theme playing in my head. It's quite the motivator!
    Last edited by Teddy; 2019-06-19 at 12:47 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

I've gotta take Lalique, brush Matisse, Van Gogh to bed.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    You make the sun shine, WarKitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    You make the sun shine, WarKitty.
    I am the cat goddess of the board. Which pretty much just involves acting like a cat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!