New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

Just finished episode 5. Crowley has been pretty ok so far, but in that episode he strapped himself to the "best character" rocket, added more boosters, and ignited the whole dang thing. Every second with him in it, he kept getting better and better. Shame it's only 6 episodes total, I want more of that Crowley.

Also, the American Gods Easter egg amused me.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Only serious business allowed. No funnies or goofs or gaffs. That's prohibited material.
    I may be too late in responding, but I think you Mith'd your window to prohibit the jokes.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    I may be too late in responding, but I think you Mith'd your window to prohibit the jokes.
    Maybe she is mithing her sense of humor. Here in the USA, law enforcement officers have their humor surgically removed from their cranial logic processing unit.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    That's why I said that I didn't know if it was an intentional mistake on Bartmanhomer's part.

Anyway, I just finished Good Omens, and this is going to be spoilered and heavily edited because I've got some complaints about the ending and boy is this hard to deal with.

Spoiler
    Show
    First off, Adam's biological dad's big scene. While I get the desire to have him turn up, the scene doesn't feel as nice as it does in the book where it's a subconcious move by Adam. In the series he's all 'you're not my dad', but the book made the point much better: Adam is told that his dad is coming, immediately assumes it's Mr Young because that's who he's viewed as his dad all these years, and subconciously warps reality to make it so he appears instead of Satan. Especially as, like everything, it paled before what the book made me think of when Satan was mentioned, which was a majestic, beautiful, and commanding figure to fit with one of the novel's themes.

Which brings me to my second point. If I may quote the book for a moment

Demons throught the series are presented as relatively ugly, filthy, and generally unpleasant looking, which is not how they're presented in the book. The book, as the quote shows, makes a rather big deal of heaven and hell being incredibly similar, building up to that final point where to the ordinary observer they might as well look exactly the same when going all out. I'd have prefered it if the demons had been at least somewhat more subtle, wearing suits or at least clean clothing, and going more for a 'fallen angel' look than a 'middle ages peasant with extra disease and flies' style.

Anyway, I don't think I can safely go further on that topic. Plus I'm shattered.
    Again, without having read the book, I still totally agree on all topics, and it seems like the book effortlessly does better what the show tried hard to make work.

Still worth it for Ep. 5 Crowley though.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    it seems like the book effortlessly does better what the show tried hard to make work.
    I find that's true of almost all episodic adaptations (except, strangely, radio dramas), especially in those of authors like PTerry, where the narration is so important. The Voice of God does a good enough job here, but it's not quite the same.

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by OccamsSword View Post
    I find that's true of almost all episodic adaptations (except, strangely, radio dramas), especially in those of authors like PTerry, where the narration is so important. The Voice of God does a good enough job here, but it's not quite the same.
    Apropos of nothing, but do you by chance shave with the Razor of Damocles?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

Apropos of nothing, but do you by chance shave with the Razor of Damocles?
    Indeed. A close shave, that.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by OccamsSword View Post
    Indeed. A close shave, that.
    I hear that it really let's you feel the power.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    ...Is this a "press F to pay respects" joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Yes .

That went completely past me, I thought you were just being darkly disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Hello my baby~

Hello my honey~

Hello darkness my old friend~

Now those references on the other hand I got!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

I hear that it really let's you feel the power.
    Oh, yeah, I'm really playing with power now.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

I was having trouble controlling my urges, so I split one of them into demiurges and now I'm the grandfather of two universes!
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Again, without having read the book, I still totally agree on all topics, and it seems like the book effortlessly does better what the show tried hard to make work.
    In addition to it being the way the story was written, I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of Prachett.

Spoiler
    Show
    Especially with Satan's appearance. Satan just not showing up is exactly the kind of twist Prachett would pull out and the new scene also feels a lot more like Gaiman's style.

Plus I also get why, in a visual medium, you might want to visually differentiate the angels and demons more, but even so Crowley's design shows you can still do it while reflecting the way angels dress. It just seems weird when they're spending a lot of time comparing the two sides and showing how similar they are.

Oh, I'm also not thrilled on the entire 'Crowley and Aziraphale on trial' sequence at the end, but I honestly don't think that the book's ending would work as well for the series. I think the only actual change I'd make there would be to remove 'Agnes's last prophecy'.

Still worth it for Ep. 5 Crowley though.
    I'm trying to remember everything that happens in Episode 5. Honestly my favourite Crowley moment is in Episode 4, where he realises he never came up with a plan C, improvises, and manages to win because of it. It's the first moment that proves that Crowley has gone somewhat native, even before Episode 5. It's exactly the same as the book, but it's one of the few scenes that translates incredibly well to a visual medium (because you can see Crowley stalling as he thinks).

I should probably make it clear that I really like the series, but my friends are still getting the book for their birthdays anyway (ideally the classic black cover that was on the version I read about a decade ago). Going back to the book, it's much better then I remembered it being.

But for now I've got an interview for prepare for, and a friend got me one of these D&D Choose Your Own Adventure books for my birthday that I need to play through. Makes me wish I still knew if the old Fighting Fantasy books were a thing.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #253

In addition to it being the way the story was written, I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of Prachett.

Spoiler
    Show
    Especially with Satan's appearance. Satan just not showing up is exactly the kind of twist Prachett would pull out and the new scene also feels a lot more like Gaiman's style.

Plus I also get why, in a visual medium, you might want to visually differentiate the angels and demons more, but even so Crowley's design shows you can still do it while reflecting the way angels dress. It just seems weird when they're spending a lot of time comparing the two sides and showing how similar they are.

Oh, I'm also not thrilled on the entire 'Crowley and Aziraphale on trial' sequence at the end, but I honestly don't think that the book's ending would work as well for the series. I think the only actual change I'd make there would be to remove 'Agnes's last prophecy'.

I'm trying to remember everything that happens in Episode 5. Honestly my favourite Crowley moment is in Episode 4, where he realises he never came up with a plan C, improvises, and manages to win because of it. It's the first moment that proves that Crowley has gone somewhat native, even before Episode 5. It's exactly the same as the book, but it's one of the few scenes that translates incredibly well to a visual medium (because you can see Crowley stalling as he thinks).

I should probably make it clear that I really like the series, but my friends are still getting the book for their birthdays anyway (ideally the classic black cover that was on the version I read about a decade ago). Going back to the book, it's much better then I remembered it being.

But for now I've got an interview for prepare for, and a friend got me one of these D&D Choose Your Own Adventure books for my birthday that I need to play through. Makes me wish I still knew if the old Fighting Fantasy books were a thing.
    Spoiler: Angel/demon similarities
    Show
    Imean, for the ending alone where they execute Azirophile and Crowley, playing up the similarities would have fully paid off regardless.

Also, my biggest disappointment was that was the most telegraphed part of the entire story. The whole time I knew what the deal was. Still enjoyable to watch.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

That's why I said that I didn't know if it was an intentional mistake on Bartmanhomer's part.

Anyway, I just finished Good Omens, and this is going to be spoilered and heavily edited because I've got some complaints about the ending and boy is this hard to deal with.

Spoiler
    Show
    First off, Adam's biological dad's big scene. While I get the desire to have him turn up, the scene doesn't feel as nice as it does in the book where it's a subconcious move by Adam. In the series he's all 'you're not my dad', but the book made the point much better: Adam is told that his dad is coming, immediately assumes it's Mr Young because that's who he's viewed as his dad all these years, and subconciously warps reality to make it so he appears instead of Satan. Especially as, like everything, it paled before what the book made me think of when Satan was mentioned, which was a majestic, beautiful, and commanding figure to fit with one of the novel's themes.

Which brings me to my second point. If I may quote the book for a moment

Demons throught the series are presented as relatively ugly, filthy, and generally unpleasant looking, which is not how they're presented in the book. The book, as the quote shows, makes a rather big deal of heaven and hell being incredibly similar, building up to that final point where to the ordinary observer they might as well look exactly the same when going all out. I'd have prefered it if the demons had been at least somewhat more subtle, wearing suits or at least clean clothing, and going more for a 'fallen angel' look than a 'middle ages peasant with extra disease and flies' style.

Anyway, I don't think I can safely go further on that topic. Plus I'm shattered.
    You know, I was excited for watching the show, but your review has made me question if I would spend money to get a box set for example. To me, some of these changes made messes with the central point of the book.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

What do you think of Facebook Groups? I think most Facebook Groups are always dramatic. Although I'm in a few groups for other things even I run a Facebook Group for my childhood school.

16. - Top - End - #256

I am in a few groups, in which a few are fun and others are a bit too political for it to be fun. 50/50 I say.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    I am in a few groups, in which a few are fun and others are a bit too political for it to be fun. 50/50 I say.
    I'm in a few group that are mystical but the man in a few group they acted like kids in there.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    You know, I was excited for watching the show, but your review has made me question if I would spend money to get a box set for example. To me, some of these changes made messes with the central point of the book.
    If you have Amazon Prime give it a go, you can always stop watching if the changes get too much.

If you don't? Then honestly it's not worth getting it just for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What do you think of Facebook Groups? I think most Facebook Groups are always dramatic. Although I'm in a few groups for other things even I run a Facebook Group for my childhood school.
    My experience of Facebook is a bit weird. I don't actively use most groups I'm in, and gave up trying to leave a flat earth group a long time ago after a 'friend' kept readding me. These days I just treat them as user-created forums, and little surprises me when they devolve into sharing the same memes as everywhere else as even if they have moderators they rarely have an easily available and clearly worded set of rules.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

"PEMDAS" isn't very good at helping memory, since it's (P)(E)(MD)(AS) but looks like it would be (P)(E)(M)(D)(A)(S)
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

If you have Amazon Prime give it a go, you can always stop watching if the changes get too much.

If you don't? Then honestly it's not worth getting it just for this.

My experience of Facebook is a bit weird. I don't actively use most groups I'm in, and gave up trying to leave a flat earth group a long time ago after a 'friend' kept readding me. These days I just treat them as user-created forums, and little surprises me when they devolve into sharing the same memes as everywhere else as even if they have moderators they rarely have an easily available and clearly worded set of rules.
    Yes some moderators and admin can be power crazy.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Yes some moderators and admin can be power crazy.
    Eh, I've encountered that, but what I've encountered more often is the admin and moderators being lazy (or in one case overworked, as what had originally been a relatively small group exploded, at the same time changing the majority from UK to US and causing significant friction until the culture clash began to die down). Which is a large part of what leads to the 'convergence of Facebook groups', the tendency for all Facebook groups dedicated to a certain topic to gravitate towards the same set of memes instead of actual discussion and the like.

The one group where I haven't seen that happen is the one with the very overworked moderators, who systematically delete any memes they find deemed to be 'not relevant' (which for a writers group consists of about 80% of the writing based ones), get rid of all self promotion they can with the acception of one pinned comment thread and simple statements of fact ('my book was just published'), and ruthlessly follow up all reported cases of harrassment to attempt to keep the group welcoming despite having 35000 members and only four moderatos*. It's been far the group I've got the most out of being a member of.

*Although to be fair at this point sheer scale buries anything off topic under people actually talking.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-06-23 at 07:07 PM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eh, I've encountered that, but what I've encountered more often is the admin and moderators being lazy (or in one case overworked, as what had originally been a relatively small group exploded, at the same time changing the majority from UK to US and causing significant friction until the culture clash began to die down). Which is a large part of what leads to the 'convergence of Facebook groups', the tendency for all Facebook groups dedicated to a certain topic to gravitate towards the same set of memes instead of actual discussion and the like.

The one group where I haven't seen that happen is the one with the very overworked moderators, who systematically delete any memes they find deemed to be 'not relevant' (which for a writers group consists of about 80% of the writing based ones), get rid of all self promotion they can with the acception of one pinned comment thread and simple statements of fact ('my book was just published'), and ruthlessly follow up all reported cases of harrassment to attempt to keep the group welcoming despite having 35000 members and only four moderatos*. It's been far the group I've got the most out of being a member of.

*Although to be fair at this point sheer scale buries anything off topic under people actually talking.
    I've been kicked out by so many Facebook for minor BS. There was this one group which I was accused for talking to other members in Facebook
    Message which I never spoken to anyone in Messager not even one person.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Today for my birthday my 14 years old son took my 3 years old son into the backyard to play and to let me get some cooking and reading done, and from the 3 years old I heard in a loud chipper voice: "A BEEHIVE! HELLO BEE!"

FWLIW, despite my STUNNING HUMILITY!!!, a wrote a rather long post
    Spoiler: about me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    [....]Okay a ways back I promised a biography:
    ...Of course I give permission for myself, but I'm at work and will have to edit in a biography later, but until then, from a different thread:
    When I last took the
    What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?
    test it said that I'm a "Lawful Good Human Wizard (7th Level)", which feels strange and somehow dishonest.

So let's see...

..."A dungeon is a room or cell in which prisoners are held, especially underground"

So for my employer (The City and County of San Francisco, A.K.A. Lankhmar),

I have:

Gone on quests (searched for any remaining intact plumbing under the piers),

Explored ruins (the former Naval base, shipyards, and let's face it most of the rest of the buildings are "well used")

Seeking treasure (look for plumbing fixtures to steal/salvage from the abandoned 6th floor Jail, for use on the 7th floor Jail).

Also, I've encountered monsters (had Sea Lions surface next to me under the piers, one seemed to be the size of a VW Microbus!, plus... well the inmates), crawled through underground tunnels, entered crypts (I've had many jobs in the autopsy room), looted dark passageways (the Jail cell plumbing chases looking for parts to use for the occupied cells), and I'm a Guild member (Plumbers and Steamfitters, Local 38!).

Seems that I'm a dungeon delving Guild Thief (I hope Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser don't slay me )!

So here goes:

Me:
    • Married for decades I'd describe my wife as "A half-elf Sage Background Barbarian/Rogue, have two sons a 14 year-old and a 3 year-old
    • Well read (co-workers have called me "the professor") but under-educated, tested out of high school early, had one year of community college (Cultural Anthropology, and European History were my favorite classes there) while I was still high school aged before having to leave school and get a job, served a five year plumbing apprenticeship
    • While a teenager volunteered at a radio station KALX, and at the "Gilman Street Project" music club, had lots of friends then, was thanked on some record liner notes and named in a song
    • Some jobs:
      • Manual labor with my Dad who was "self-employed" (had tools snd a truck) including mason and roofing work from a very young age,
      • Video rental and camera shop for two years,
      • Attendant for the handicapped for four years,
      • Motorcycle shop for seven years,
      • Union apprentice and Journeyman plumber in private industry for eleven years,
      • Currently a City plumber, and have been for eight years.
    • Very much like old and familiar things
    • Very lazy and out of shape
    • Like bicycling and long slow walks
    • Was a fencer for a year in high school and was terrible at it (my DM and best friend also was in the class and was good at it), the rubber tip broke off from my opponents epee and I was stabbed in my arm leaving a "dueling scar" that I was proud of and was sad when it healed and was no longer visible two years latter
    • I buy and own way too many books, I doubt that I'll live long enough to read them all.
    • Susanna Clark, Fritz Leiber, and Michael Moorcock are my favorite authors.
    • I don't like change, but fortunately I grew up in a place "ahead of its time" so some changes that many others find new just don't seem that way to me.
    • Lived in an apartment in the "inner city" for decades, moved to a house in the 'burbs' six years ago.
      It's like heaven.
    • Most everywhere outside of the "fogbelt" feels too damn hot to me.
    • Most of the U.S.A. sounds like it gets way too cold!
    • I'd really like some corned beef with mustard right now please.
    • Potatoes with catsup would be good as well.
    • May I please get a pint or three of NewCastle Brown Ale?
    • I could watch Helen Mirren in Excalibur over and over again!
    • Diana Rigg and Michelle Yeoh are no slouches in the 'watchable' category either!
    • Video games give me headaches, I only play them when my son insists.
    • Even though I stood in a long line to see Michael Keating in Bat man, I just don't enjoy new superheroes movies much.
      Some things bern lost by me.
    • A Chimes at Midnight/The Seven Samurai double feature sounds good about now
    • Han shot first
    • The Empire Strikes Back was AWESOME!
    • The Return of the Jedi was LAME! freakin' Viet Cong teddy bears, really George?

• By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be avenged!

Wherever you go, there you are.

But this goes to eleven.

What about you centurion, do you think there's anything funny?

• Also, I hate sports...
    that I thought I'd share here.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

24. - Top - End - #264

I've been kicked out by so many Facebook for minor BS. There was this one group which I was accused for talking to other members in Facebook
    Message which I never spoken to anyone in Messenger not even one person.
    sounds like you got hacked by a troll. hit them back with acid or fire!
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2019-06-23 at 07:18 PM.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

I get the impression from news reports that Facebook is a tool for fiends to spread rancor, but I've never logged onto Facebook, so I just don't know much about it.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    sounds like you got hacked by a troll. hit them back with acid or fire!
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I get the impression from news reports that Facebook is a tool for fiends to spread rancor, but I've never logged onto Facebook, so I just don't know much about it.
    Yes Facebook is bonkers.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Facebook is in theory 'social media, a new form of communicating on the Web!'

In reality? It's more a forum with little in the way of restriction or moderation but heavy control in what the user wants to see, with inbuilt image hosting, user created subforums, and inbuilt IM. The latter being most of the reason I've used it during the last half decade if I'm honest.

And in unrelated matters, here's the story of my greatest Facebook woes.

Spoiler: Story Time
    Show
    Okay, so my university had a Gaming Society which had a heavy focus on video games, because at that time that's what most members wanted. I talked to the exec about setting up a separate Facebook group for thoseinterested in tabletop games so people interested in finding groups could do so without having to wade through the video games discussion, and they okay ed it. Thus in Term 1 was born the [Uni] Gaming Society Tabletop page.

Everything went fine, a couple of groups got created but nothing much happened, and board games got more accepted at society meetups. Heck, I met one of my best friends by playing Mario Kart at a fresher's society meetup (three rooms, one Xbox, one Wii, one in theory for PC gaming but in practice for whatever people wanted).

Then the next year essentially the entirety of the exec were replaced. Suddenly only one member regularly played tabletop games, with most of the rest being 'hardcore' video gamers. Suddenly generalised game meetups stop, the only ones that happened were specifically for Smash Brother, or 'online meetups" that were AV excuse to play the multilayer games the exec wanted to play . At the same time there was a surge of increase in interest for tabletop gaming, in particular D&D and Pathfinder.

A month after term started I got an angry message from the Web Officer demanding why we were using the society name and asking for a DM (yeah.... on a tabletop gaming group filled with roleplayers, PM would have been better, or just message). Despite me being very clearly the only admin.the eventual result was a conversation that boiled down to 'how dare you have the nerve to use the society's mane with permission, no you should have asked first, no we will not heavy permission why would we want to be linked to your tabletop gaming page". Well the eventual result was that I just changed the name of the page, started actually promoting it to spite them, and then let the page die it's slow death.

There wasn't much happening over the next few months, a few people suggested meetups that got shot down, including my idea for a weekly board games evening (that I would host if they'd just book me the room and make the event). Turned down because 'none of us have the free time to host, and you can just play board games at the socials'. The socials that took place in the very loud campus pub, not the best place to play Seven Wonders.

Everything came to a head the day after the AGM. Announced about eighteen hours before it happened the first myself and many other members heard about it was sheet it was over and the exec tried to blame the us for the result being 'we want more focus on Smash Brothers'. What followed was the most activity the group had seen in months, as the membership rose up in fury. Not only had they not given anybody sufficient notice of the meeting, they had spent the entire year only supporting physical meetups for Smash Brothers or in the pub, and the 'Internet meetups' not appealing to the large section of the society (now known to have been the majority by a small but significant margin) who wanted to meet up and play games, maybe two or three in a four hour meetup.

Or in other words 'you dug your own hole, if you don't like it climb out by yourself'.

A second AGM was quickly organised and promoted sensibly, but the damage was done. By the next Fresher's Week the returning 2nd and 3rd years remembered the lack of support and decided to spend their money on joining other societies. The 1st years found something else to do. By the end of the year the society didn't exist, and the ex exec had posted for the first time in a year in the traditional strongly worded letter style with explicit examples of where that year's exec had gone wrong.

But that tabletop gaming page I started? It died a quiet death a few months before the university year ended. The Science Fiction society started pulling double duty as the place to find a group, while the Chaplaincy started promoting it's board game collection. I'd had to stop supporting my page when my ditties as Secretary Evil Vizier* of the creative writing society, which proved to be a more fulfilling use of my time.

*Everybody had informal titles styled after a stereotypical fantasy court. The secretary had originally been the Chief Scribe, but in the previous AGM I'd consolidated the day to day running in the position so that the Chair/Overlord could focus on preparing for meetings and planning events.

Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Today for my birthday my 14 years old son took my 3 years old son into the backyard to play and to let me get some cooking and reading done, and from the 3 years old I heard in a loud chipper voice: "A BEEHIVE! HELLO BEE!"

FWLIW, despite my STUNNING HUMILITY!!!, a wrote a rather long post that I thought I'd share here.
    Happy Birthday! May your d20s always roll high! (Unless you are playing oD&D, then...maybe).

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Facebook is in theory 'social media, a new form of communicating on the Web!'

In reality? It's more a forum with little in the way of restriction or moderation but heavy control in what the user wants to see, with inbuilt image hosting, user created subforums, and inbuilt IM. The latter being most of the reason I've used it during the last half decade if I'm honest.

And in unrelated matters, here's the story of my greatest Facebook woes.

Spoiler: Story Time
    Show
    Okay, so my university had a Gaming Society which had a heavy focus on video games, because at that time that's what most members wanted. I talked to the exec about setting up a separate Facebook group for thoseinterested in tabletop games so people interested in finding groups could do so without having to wade through the video games discussion, and they okay ed it. Thus in Term 1 was born the [Uni] Gaming Society Tabletop page.

Everything went fine, a couple of groups got created but nothing much happened, and board games got more accepted at society meetups. Heck, I met one of my best friends by playing Mario Kart at a fresher's society meetup (three rooms, one Xbox, one Wii, one in theory for PC gaming but in practice for whatever people wanted).

Then the next year essentially the entirety of the exec were replaced. Suddenly only one member regularly played tabletop games, with most of the rest being 'hardcore' video gamers. Suddenly generalised game meetups stop, the only ones that happened were specifically for Smash Brother, or 'online meetups" that were AV excuse to play the multilayer games the exec wanted to play . At the same time there was a surge of increase in interest for tabletop gaming, in particular D&D and Pathfinder.

A month after term started I got an angry message from the Web Officer demanding why we were using the society name and asking for a DM (yeah.... on a tabletop gaming group filled with roleplayers, PM would have been better, or just message). Despite me being very clearly the only admin.the eventual result was a conversation that boiled down to 'how dare you have the nerve to use the society's mane with permission, no you should have asked first, no we will not heavy permission why would we want to be linked to your tabletop gaming page". Well the eventual result was that I just changed the name of the page, started actually promoting it to spite them, and then let the page die it's slow death.

There wasn't much happening over the next few months, a few people suggested meetups that got shot down, including my idea for a weekly board games evening (that I would host if they'd just book me the room and make the event). Turned down because 'none of us have the free time to host, and you can just play board games at the socials'. The socials that took place in the very loud campus pub, not the best place to play Seven Wonders.

Everything came to a head the day after the AGM. Announced about eighteen hours before it happened the first myself and many other members heard about it was sheet it was over and the exec tried to blame the us for the result being 'we want more focus on Smash Brothers'. What followed was the most activity the group had seen in months, as the membership rose up in fury. Not only had they not given anybody sufficient notice of the meeting, they had spent the entire year only supporting physical meetups for Smash Brothers or in the pub, and the 'Internet meetups' not appealing to the large section of the society (now known to have been the majority by a small but significant margin) who wanted to meet up and play games, maybe two or three in a four hour meetup.

Or in other words 'you dug your own hole, if you don't like it climb out by yourself'.

A second AGM was quickly organised and promoted sensibly, but the damage was done. By the next Fresher's Week the returning 2nd and 3rd years remembered the lack of support and decided to spend their money on joining other societies. The 1st years found something else to do. By the end of the year the society didn't exist, and the ex exec had posted for the first time in a year in the traditional strongly worded letter style with explicit examples of where that year's exec had gone wrong.

But that tabletop gaming page I started? It died a quiet death a few months before the university year ended. The Science Fiction society started pulling double duty as the place to find a group, while the Chaplaincy started promoting it's board game collection. I'd had to stop supporting my page when my ditties as Secretary Evil Vizier* of the creative writing society, which proved to be a more fulfilling use of my time.

*Everybody had informal titles styled after a stereotypical fantasy court. The secretary had originally been the Chief Scribe, but in the previous AGM I'd consolidated the day to day running in the position so that the Chair/Overlord could focus on preparing for meetings and planning events.

Thanks AW!

I actually think I understand it a bit more, "Forum without Mods" sounds clear.

(also, who wouldn't want a board game club? Sheesh!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Happy Birthday! May your d20s always roll high! (Unless you are playing oD&D, then...maybe).

Thanks @Mith!

I haven't played oD&D since the early '80's (or AD&D since the late '80's), but I played some B/X D&D (which is really close) this last decade, and a little King Arthur Pendragon (my favorite RPG that actually is a RPG) as well, so I indeed had occasion to "role under", but 5e D&D opportunities are more plentiful these days so high rolls are much appreciated!

Oh! I played some Risk and DUNGEON! with my son a year or ten ago, and those are roll high.

(I could go for a RPG with a "Risk" based combat system come to think of it...)

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I haven't played oD&D since the early '80's (or AD&D since the late '80's), but I played some B/X D&D (which is really close) this last decade, and a little King Arthur Pendragon (my favorite RPG that actually is a RPG) as well, so I indeed had occasion to "role under", but 5e D&D opportunities are more plentiful these days so high rolls are much appreciated!

Oh! I played some Risk and DUNGEON! with my son a year or ten ago, and those are roll high.

(I could go for a RPG with a "Risk" based combat system come to think of it...)
    Ah, but with best wishes, good fortune may roll an oD&D game (or other TSR era game) your way.