New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Thoughts on Fighter dipping Rogue Mountain Dwarf.

On the build above, of course MD, I have been looking at one small choice that seems grey to me.

Battle-master 6/Swashbuckler 3+.

Given ST 7+2, DE 14, CO 7+2, IN 8 ( considers 10 for skills,) it is a choice between WI 10 or 12 (saves,etc.,) or cH 12 or 10 (Initiative boost at 1, Panache at 13: skills) that seems worthy either way.

Do WI>CH or CH>WI?

Note: RP wise Rogues can be unwise and devious both. Conmen usually seem that way.

Background TBD.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Thoughts on Fighter dipping Rogue Mountain Dwarf.

Not playing AL? Or is there a typo in the stats somewhere? That is a pretty terrible set of rolls if you rolled for stats.

WI vs CH doesn't make much difference either way ... it is only +1. I would look at whatever skills you prefer to be slightly better and if there is no strong preference then go with wisdom for the saving throws and perception skill (though since you are going to be a swashbuckler ... the 12 Cha has an extra bonus and it might feel unfortunate to leave a class feature completely unused).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Maybe you don't use these rules, but you'll need 13 Con to MC into/out of fighter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    Maybe you don't use these rules, but you'll need 13 Con to MC into/out of fighter.
    Simply wrong.

Fighter Strength 13 or Dexterity 13

Nothing else.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Not playing AL? Or is there a typo in the stats somewhere? That is a pretty terrible set of rolls if you rolled for stats.

WI vs CH doesn't make much difference either way ... it is only +1. I would look at whatever skills you prefer to be slightly better and if there is no strong preference then go with wisdom for the saving throws and perception skill (though since you are going to be a swashbuckler ... the 12 Cha has an extra bonus and it might feel unfortunate to leave a class feature completely unused).
    Never post in a hurry or mix methods of notation: ST 7+2=16, DE 7=14, CO 7+2=16, IN 0=8, WI 2=10, CH 4=12. That should be clearer. Last three malleable.

Back in 0D&D I once rolled 3D6 in order, and had nothing higher than a 12 and 2 rolls below 9. Went Fighter (you played what you rolled, no re-do.). Actually made a few levels...

Edit: 0D&D ST was not a 12.
    Last edited by ZorroGames; 2019-06-16 at 07:28 AM.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

6. - Top - End - #6

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    Simply wrong.

Fighter Strength 13 or Dexterity 13

Nothing else.
    Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.
    Thanks for correcting my misconception.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    Never post in a hurry or mix methods of notation: ST 7+2=16, DE 7=14, CO 7+2=16, IN 0=8, WI 2=10, CH 4=12. That should be clearer. Last three malleable.

Back in 0D&D I once rolled 3D6 in order, and had nothing higher than a 12 and 2 rolls below 9. Went Fighter (you played what you rolled, no re-do.). Actually made a few levels...

Edit: 0D&D ST was not a 12.
    I have an AL character working on a similar build. However, I went with 17 14 17 8 10 8 as a mountain dwarf bear totem barbarian, switching to rogue after level 5. The first ASI at level 4 was +1 STR/+1 CON.

For role play reasons, I am thinking of scout rogue. Reckless attack gives the opportunity to use sneak attack every turn if desired. The character will use a shield and a rapier attacking using strength. The background is that he was raised to be one of the "intelligencers" for his tribe in combat. Sneaking in, determining the enemy forces, scouting terrain, special ops, infiltration etc.

Probably not as much damage as a classic GWM barbarian but I am hoping it will be more interesting.

You could do a similar build with a fighter, you could have max strength by level 6 and use the other ASI for cool abilities ... or if you want to be a skirmisher, pick up the mobile feat at 6 which gets you most of what you would get from swashbuckler plus extra movement ... then pick a different rogue archetype. Lots of options and should be reasonably fun to play.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2019-06-16 at 09:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

ST 16, DE 14, CO 16, IN 8, WI 10, CH 12.

fighter and rogue fit together very well

You just really need to decide are you going to focus more on your fighter attacks or rogue sneak attack

And realize this may never go to 20, so thinking of rogue 15 and slippery mind isn't an option

I would begin fighter go and to fighter 2.

Then I would go to rogue until at least 6th level

and I would dual wield short swords

After rogue 6, you'll be 2 fighter/ 6 rogue, and from there I would go fighter

f1
    f2
    r1
    r2
    r3
    r4
    r5
    r6

and anywhere throw in f3 battlemaster for maneuvers

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

If feats are On, I'd do CHA 13 for Inspiring Leader or Actor. Battlemaster "warlord-like" maneuvers would complete the look. You should take the Entertainer background.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    ST 16, DE 14, CO 16, IN 8, WI 10, CH 12.

fighter and rogue fit together very well

You just really need to decide are you going to focus more on your fighter attacks or rogue sneak attack

And realize this may never go to 20, so thinking of rogue 15 and slippery mind isn't an option

I would begin fighter go and to fighter 2.

Then I would go to rogue until at least 6th level

and I would dual wield short swords

After rogue 6, you'll be 2 fighter/ 6 rogue, and from there I would go fighter

f1
    f2
    r1
    r2
    r3
    r4
    r5
    r6

and anywhere throw in f3 battlemaster for maneuvers
    Just a quick comment, the OP is playing AL so level 20 is likely assuming a reasonably active community where he plays and interest on their part to continue playing.

Also, level 20 isn't the end in AL since you can continue to play the character and continue to earn TCP and gold if you have anything you need or want at that point to augment your character. I know several folks who have played their already level 20 characters in Tier 4 AL games just because they enjoy playing them.

So, although, in general, characters may or may not make it to level 20, if you are reasonably active in AL and the local community has the games available then level 20 is probably less than a year of play time so it can be worthwhile thinking about your build to level 20 if you are playing AL.

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

One of my favorite combos. Have fun!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.
    Thanks for correcting my misconception.
    Have this cookie for being polite. (::)
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2019-06-17 at 03:33 PM. Reason: increased the boldness of the chocolate, really ties the cookie together
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

cool Re: Thoughts on Fighter dipping Rogue Mountain Dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Have this cookie for being polite. (::)
    I will buy the box and let you two share it.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes