1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Gods Are Bastards

The gods are bastard is an ongoing webserial which starts here https://tiraas.net/2014/08/20/book-1-prologue/ .
    It is about a fantasy world though not medieval fantasy, the magitek level is I guess kinda similiar to a wild west level in some aspects. There is a magical rail road, there are no guns but wands that non casters can fire. Though in some aspects magic can of course do stuff they couldn't do then.
    Gods are real and interact with people from time to time. A wide variety of fantasy beings exist.

It begins with a group of MCs starting at basically a magical university run by an ornery OP archmage. The group consists of two "paladins" (the gods usually only have one so important) a bard sharing a body with an archdemon, a pirate princess, a dryad and a pixie. But over its runtime it includes ever more characters though the main group remains the main group.

It is divided currently into 15 books each with their own arc but there are no very big gaps between the books and there is a super slow moving background plot. You also learn increasingly more about the wider setting from the cults of the various gods which have vastly different philosophies, to the empire. Most plot doesn't play at the university and there is lot of scheming going on.

Anyway I am nearly caught up and thought it should have a thread though I don't know if anyone reads it here. It is quite good, better than many published books I have read, not the best thing I ever read but worth reading. I am not fond of everything, like that a certain bishop can so blatantly misbehave without her cult superior doing much
    Spoiler
    Show
    the second time she tried to murder Lockes quad and everybody including Trissiny thought that is what she tried I found it a bit ridiculous that she got away without significant consequences by just stating that she totally didn't try to kill them
    , there were some places were I thought something worked as well as it did because it was cool not because it was the most natural action for the other side, I don't entirely like how the dryads (beside the first) are handled, there are some characters I just don't particularly like, I think the Butler stuff is kinda silly and I think one of the cults, the Eserites, could use more showing of them actually performing their ideological purpose. Stuff like that. But it is a good read otherwise I wouldn't have worked my way through it because it is super long.

So anyone read it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Gods Are Bastards

It was fun for a while, but I stopped reading it quite a while ago (per my bookmarks, 10 months ago). I got tired of getting preached at, and just kind of lost interest.

3. - Top - End - #3

If you were up to date then you were further along than I am , I said nearly caught up but I have book 14 and 15 to go. Bit yeah understandable complaint.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

It's another text one. On my list now. Thanks for that.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Good series...if you can slog through the first book without dropping it. The entire class, but especially Trissiny are completely insufferable in book 1.

In hindsight this appears to be intentional, and everyone grows by leaps and bounds, but holy **** were they some of my least favorite characters in media early on.

6. - Top - End - #6

The biggest question i have
    Spoiler
    Show
    is whether whatever happened after defeating the elder gods is as bad as some characters think, since they think it is bad enough to make the paladins doubt or turn against their gods. It is hard to balance something like that from a story perspective so that the readers aren't either "that is it? whatever" or "these gods suck down with them."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Details about that are kind of drip fed over time, and it seems like the writer (whose name slips my mind ATM) has a good handle on it. I'm a couple of months behind on chapters but I doubt anything extra on that front has been revealed yet since then.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I've read up to the current entry. The story is at its best when the characters are snarking, which happens almost constantly. (Followers of Eserion, God of Thieves - er, Defiance - hilariously believe snarking back to your boss is a religious duty.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    The biggest question i have
    Spoiler
    Show
    is whether whatever happened after defeating the elder gods is as bad as some characters think, since they think it is bad enough to make the paladins doubt or turn against their gods. It is hard to balance something like that from a story perspective so that the readers aren't either "that is it? whatever" or "these gods suck down with them."
    Spoiler
    Show
    That question has been hanging in the air so long that I wonder if we'll ever know.

What has been revealed so far is that:

* Elilial, Goddess of Cunning and Queen of Hell is apparently not really all that evil. (The Hellwars kind of call this into doubt.)

* Themynra, Goddess of Judgment, apparently told the Pantheon to get bent when they invited her to join in.

* Vesk, God of Bards, is apparently entirely willing to play fast and loose with mortal lives when he thinks it'll make a good story.

And despite all of this, the gods are typically seen as sympathetic and well-intentioned.

9. - Top - End - #9

Reading through the Bonus stories now, hope if gods die at the end Vemnesthis is among them. Sure someone has to prevent time shenanigans but the scion stuff is messed up and unnecessary so he should die and someone else can take care of that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    I've read up to the current entry. The story is at its best when the characters are snarking, which happens almost constantly. (Followers of Eserion, God of Thieves - er, Defiance - hilariously believe snarking back to your boss is a religious duty.)
    Eserion declares it, so for his followers, it is.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Magic as a stand in for technology? Eh HARD PASS.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Barastur View Post
    Magic as a stand in for technology? Eh HARD PASS.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would say that suddenly about halfway through (dunno whether you've got there yet) it's technology as a stand in for magic myself.

Anyhow, I'm now current. Time to get back to sleeping normally for a day or two.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-07-02 at 10:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The setting is hard to describe, but I'll take a shot at it, anyway.

Middle Earth meets Wild West meets Industrial Revolution meets New Mutants meets Spy vs Spy meets Machiavelli.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    The setting is hard to describe, but I'll take a shot at it, anyway.

Middle Earth meets Wild West meets Industrial Revolution meets New Mutants meets Spy vs Spy meets Machiavelli.
    I'll say, wrong. Nice try, but nope.

My turn:

There are wild west villages and countryside, but not all countryside, not in bigger towns or cites, and there's a lot of action in cities. There are gods or maybe "gods", who sometimes show up in person. There are "demons" of many types (succubi and incubi are the only ones I recognise from elsewhere (I don't play D&D, they could all be D&D standards, but they probably aren't, and there are quite a lot of types)), there are elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, dragons.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Uh huh.

Well, demons figure enough in the overall plot that I'll at least own missing them in my description. They're handled fairly well, too, unlike practically every other story I've seen with them as characters.

Oh, also, the goddess of Justice is a big-time feminist. It's fun how her training camps resemble modern day Girl Scout camps.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2019-07-03 at 03:43 PM.