New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Closed Account

Default What level were these minor R.A. Salvatore characters?

Yes, I know, Forgotten Realms novels aren't 100% rpg-accurate but let's just presume.

In your opinion what level were those characters? I'll wrote my opinion between parenthesis.

Akar Kessell ( level 1 mage, low Intelligence )
    Biggrin the frost giant ( level 3 barbarian, high Constitution )
    Ellifain / Le'lorinel ( level 8 fighter )
    Tunevec, the half-elf sparring partner ( level 4 fighter )

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: What level were these minor R.A. Salvatore characters?

They're certainly E6 characters, which is actually pretty funny considering FR is the setting which most encourages power-creeping and Epic levels.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Closed Account

I've seen really few magical healing and not a single resurrection so far in FR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Ellifain was within a level or so of Drizzt, and a gish, considering she nearly killed him and used spells to do it. In 2e/3e this would put her in the level 14-16 range.
    Last edited by DarkSoul; 2019-06-15 at 01:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Conradine View Post
    I've seen really few magical healing and not a single resurrection so far in FR.
    I mean the Forgotten Realms Campaign, not the books. Pretty much all those books have E6 characters, maybe E8 or E10 at most, whereas there's at least a few level 20+ characters every few hundred miles in the 3.5 FR Campaign world.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Akar Kessell (level 1 mage, low Intelligence)
    I say it here but I think Akar wouldn't have made such a bad mage himself if he had the patience to actually study. And according to the 5e supplement he is actually 4th level:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786964642/
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Akar_Kessell

This feels too high for what little power he displayed in the book, he did kill Morkai, the Red. However book characters often have weird traits, with being incredibly resilient or having literally 1 HP. With bad rolls in Baldur's Gate's Infinity Engine, it can happen that Sarevok fails to kill Gorion so the game decides to off him by virtue of console commands.

But back to my claim: I feel Akar has something like average physical stats (maybe a bit higher constitution and dexterity), middle to high intelligence, abyssmal wisdom and average to low charisma (because even with the power of the artifact you can sometimes see the little boy scared for his life).

I'd say something like Str 8, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 7, Cha 10. Of course that would be 3.5 stats, 5e would look much flatter.

Maybe I misremembered but back when someone discussed Baldur's Gate's novels on the forum, I recall the High Artificer of Gond ressurrecting a deceased duke.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-06-16 at 03:34 PM.