New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Son of a Succubus and a Barbarian

So a previous campaign ended with my Half-Orc Barbarian marrying a Succubus and retiring to rule a small area. I'm planning to, in the future, play as their child. Tiefling is the obvious choice for race, but what build would be appropriate for a character spawned from these two? Obviously being useful would be nice. What concepts come to your minds?
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Son of a Succubus and a Barbarian

That's wild. One of my first 5e PCs was the son of an Orc chieftain and a Succubus of Avernus (Tiamat). He was a Paladin of Tyr / Draconic Sorcerer / Battlemaster Half-Orc.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

You could go for a Zariel bloodline Tiefling from MToF. +1 STR, Thaumaturgy, Searing Smite and Branding Smite as racial spells.

As for builds, a Vengeance/Conquest Paladin, Hexblade, or combination of the two?

4. - Top - End - #4

This interesting. Maybe a devotion paladin after seeing his parent's highly disfunctional relationship? He sees how bad charm spells can mess with people and wants to stop that?

Also, and I'm sorry for asking, but what kind of household did he grow up in?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

If they're first generation, shouldn't they be a cambion? If you play it strict, you may have to play as their grandchild.

Of the tiefling subraces, winged is the closest to cambion, but there's problems with that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Warlock or sorcerer or both are the obvious bloodline fiendish choices.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I would play it as a Hexblade 2/Lore Bard x multiclass. Junior may not be able to tangle with daddy directly in an arm-wrestling contest, but mommy’s cunning and daddy’s attitude would make for a pretty vicious gish character with Medium Armor, a shield, and a longsword he can use for SCAG cantrips, plus plenty of skill monkey goodness AND plenty of magical secrets to customize your Bard casting and make it fit your infernal theme.

You could also go Eldritch Knight for a less subtle approach. Just because mom is a succubus doesn’t mean Junior can’t use that infernal connection to scorch enemies with flames. I would ride this one all the way to 20 and play as a brutal, Hell-touched warrior in plate mail.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

If you're the son of the chief, an oath of the crown paladin could be very thematic. Whether you end up as the righteous shield that guards your people or the enforcer's whip that keeps them in line (or anywhere in between) is up to you.

If looking to multiclass, a wild magic sorcerer could be the result of your unstable bloodline or a bard could be more of your mother's influence.

Another option would be straight Barbarian. Ancestral Guardian could be easily fluffed as a pack of minor demons and malevolent spirits that follow you around and dogpile anyone you attack.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Barb 2 or 3/hexblade X, PAM, use spell slots on eldritch smite and armour of agathys, barb will make your agathys last much longer and punish anyone attacking your low AC.

You only have the minimal cha to multiclass, focus on buffs and utility spells and cantrips. Starting with barb gives you con proficiency.

Half-orc works thematically as well as teefling. After all a half orc with dark magic in their veins (warlock) works fairly well thematically, and mechanically this should be pretty fun and effective in combat.

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

Maybe he could pact with his mother and become a half orc warlock.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Maybe he could pact with his mother and become a half orc warlock.
    Oh dear Gods, not your mother as a patron.

"darling, come home and clean up your room. Also, the garden needs some tending"
    "mum, I'm a bit busy in a dungeon right now"
    "I'm your patron. I command you"
    "ugh. fine."
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post

"darling, come home and clean up your room. Also, the garden needs some tending"
    "ugh. fine."
    "You're my patron, not my god! you're not the boss of me!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Succubi have a telepathic ability, which I'd want to lean into... so I'd start with Barbarian 1/ GOO Warlock 1, eventually going Warlock 5 / Barbarian X. That gives them, charm and telepathic spells, including Sending, as well as Eldritch Smite, which allows you use spell slots while raging.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I stopped grokking at "marrying a succubus". If your father can and does manage that, I'd say he has CHA in spades, and not the faintest grain of common sense. Warlock is the obvious choice.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Please just call this a Succubarian

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Might be a bigger, badder barbarian. The progeny of orcs and evil outsiders leads to tanarukk, a unique form of tiefling that is known for their physical prowess. There's NPC stats and details for them in Volo's which mostly point to them playing like orcs (they have the Aggressive trait and intimidation proficiency).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Since Succubi have a charm effect, immunity to charm might be a good way to go. Tiefling Berserker for example.

But if you hate exhaustion refluffed Zealot would be interesting. You mother could be interceding on your behalf to keep you from going to the hells for example. Likewise Ancestral Guardian could be refluffed to infernal ancestors.

Half-Orc Warlock also represents both heritages well. Fiend seems obvious, but hexblade would give you the melee skill expected from the child of a Barbarian.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post

"ugh. fine."
    "Mom! I can't just run out on my friends! Do you know how long it took me to find people that don't mind our home situation?!"

19. - Top - End - #19

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by darkknightjin View Post
    "mom! I can't just run out on my friends! Do you know how long it took me to find people that don't mind our home situation?!"
    "get off now! Don't make me count to ten!"
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

20. - Top - End - #20

Canonically, the offspring of a Succubus and a mortal is called an Alu-fiend. Cambion is a more generic term for a half-fiend, and I think mostly implied as being the offspring of an archfiend of some kind. Tannaruk, fiend-tainted orcs, were, I think, a special case restricted to Hellgate Keep?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Canonically, the offspring of a Succubus and a mortal is called an Alu-fiend. Cambion is a more generic term for a half-fiend, and I think mostly implied as being the offspring of an archfiend of some kind.
    Re: Alu-fiend, I noticed that as well, though this edition has Cambion covering both parenting options. Depending on the canon, Cambion's should be the opposite of the Alu-field (human mother). Offhand I know that was true for at least the PS MC, but I don't recall if other supplements may have contradicted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Kids often rebel from their upbringing just to upset their parents.

I suggest starting as a light cleric.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Aprender View Post
    Kids often rebel from their upbringing just to upset their parents.

I suggest starting as a light cleric.
    And if they later decide to be true to their parentage..
    They'll have access to Fireball and other fun blasting spells.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    So a previous campaign ended with my Half-Orc Barbarian marrying a Succubus and retiring to rule a small area. I'm planning to, in the future, play as their child. Tiefling is the obvious choice for race, but what build would be appropriate for a character spawned from these two? Obviously being useful would be nice. What concepts come to your minds?
    An orc/demon cross results in a Tanarukk. As far as I know a playable Tanarukk isn't available in 5e, but it's basically just an orc with a higher CR. You could probably just build him as a half-orc mechanically but describe him as having horns and such.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    I stopped grokking at "marrying a succubus". If your father can and does manage that, I'd say he has CHA in spades, and not the faintest grain of common sense. Warlock is the obvious choice.
    I feel like marrying one is the easy part. Most wedding ceremonies come with the expectation you're offering close contact to the demon, and well, that's like a juicy lamb frolicking into a den of wolves. Surviving past the honeymoon is the hard part. The Abyss isn't likely to quite get 'consent', 'pleasure without unspeakable acts' or 'retain all original and ONLY original body parts' so well when it comes to much of anything, so chances are likely that daddy is dead.

Given that succubi aren't likely to really care about mortal morality when it comes to the definition of family, I'd advise against warlock. You're going to want to put some distance between you and your mom unless you're into that. Or you think your DM won't think of that. Or be into that.

Sorcerer seems quite legitimate, but a bard might be thematic as well. Bards do have a reputation of being rakes and scoundrels, so a warrior skald might work if the OP is so inclined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

26. - Top - End - #26

OP, I want to thank you for having reminded me of a Lust Demon in Dragon Age: Origins that wanted a life with a Templar.
    And I've begun working on not only a happy family existing of a Succubus, Paladin (Devotion), and their 8yo Cambion daughter..
    But a whole town, with the Paladin as the mayor, where anybody that would be judged anywhere else for what they are (Half-Orc, Tiefling, any Monstrous race option), and live their life in relative peace.

And yes, I've specified the Paladin as Devotion for the reason that those can't be Charmed past 7th level. Which is something this guy would be at, at least.
    Last edited by DarkKnightJin; 2019-06-20 at 06:05 AM.