Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What's the Largest Non-magical Object Wortg 25,000gp or Less?

With a single Wish what is the largest single non-magic thing that can be bought for 25,000gp?

EDIT:
    Fast time demiplane has been okay-ed at 1 round = 1 day.
    Shapechange into Zodar for a new Wish every round has been okayed.
    Wishes can only make non-magical material or non-permanent items but a wished for scroll can make Simulacrums.
    edit No wishing for permanent magic items.
    No Simulacrums or similar of Intelligent Magic Items.

The Big Idea
    So with all of the above a single Sim of a spellcaster could stand and Shapechange -> Zodar -> Wish -> Scroll of Sim of spellcaster forever.
    Second Sim of spellcaster starts and grows a fast time Genesis demiplane to house all these Sims of spellcasters.
    Third Sim of spellcaster starts making Sims of spellcasters whose job it is to link everyone via telepathy.
    Fourth starts a Gate corps who can open similtaneous gates around any offending enemy.
    Fifth starts the corps of Sims of spellcasters whose job it is to drop absolute craptins of whatever material this thread seems most effective on enemies through the previous corps' Gates (if that's even possible).

If possible I'd like to drop Faerzness generating material and those antimagic subterranean trees on the enemy first entombing them in a mundane antimagic prison of Underdark shenaniganery.

It's not a great plan and I'm sure it's a waste of super high OP potential but I like the mental imagery of the sky tearing open at my character's mental command to rain sheer mass on my enemies.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-06-19 at 12:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What's the Largest Non-magical Object Wortg 25,000gp or Less?

Nothing... Literally.

25,000gp worth of nothing is infinite in size.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    With a single Wish what is the largest single non-magic thing that can be bought for 25,000gp?
    i'd have to guess something with a poor description or no description and weights "-" like chalk. 1 cp/"piece" which has no description on the SRD what it is or how big a "piece" is. That's 2,500,000 "pieces" of chalk worth with a wish spell. But with no description it could even be argued that you can have a single piece of chalk be of any size and still weigh "-" and 1cp. Wait.... take a piece of chalk, break in half, you now have two pieces of chalk... whelp there goes the economy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oberron View Post
    i'd have to guess something with a poor description or no description and weights "-" like chalk. 1 cp/"piece" which has no description on the SRD what it is or how big a "piece" is. That's 2,500,000 "pieces" of chalk worth with a wish spell. But with no description it could even be argued that you can have a single piece of chalk be of any size and still weigh "-" and 1cp. Wait.... take a piece of chalk, break in half, you now have two pieces of chalk... whelp there goes the economy.
    I knew I was forgetting to put an item on my character sheet.
    1cp and no weight for the power to write and mark stuff thus allowing to escape a bunch of mazes and a whole other slew of possible shenanigans.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-06-16 at 04:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I think a 100 foot long warship (SRD) would be a good place to start.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Oberron View Post
    There's a better trick with ladders: you can buy ladders, disassemble them, and sell them as wood poles. Ladders are cheaper than the total amount of wood poles you'd expect to use building them, so you can break the wood pole market and become rich by doing that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    There's a better trick with ladders: you can buy ladders, disassemble them, and sell them as wood poles. Ladders are cheaper than the total amount of wood poles you'd expect to use building them, so you can break the wood pole market and become rich by doing that.
    It would work if people accepted wooden poles with holes in them at the same cost as regular wooden poles.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-06-16 at 08:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

From the Stronghold Builder's Guide, a 1000 section, freestanding wall of masonry. At 10,000 feet (or 3.048km) long, your nonmagical wall will be almost 1/7000th the size of the Great Wall of China.
    Hmmm... if you're optimizing just for maximum size for your cost, you might want to go with the packed earth; that will be 25 times larger for the same cost.
    Last edited by Ursus Spelaeus; 2019-06-16 at 09:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus Spelaeus View Post
    From the Stronghold Builder's Guide, a 1000 section, freestanding wall of masonry. At 10,000 feet (or 3.048km) long, your nonmagical wall will be almost 1/7000th the size of the Great Wall of China.
    Hmmm... if you're optimizing just for maximum size for your cost, you might want to go with the packed earth; that will be 25 times larger for the same cost.
    I remember there being rules for damaging structures that limits the damage to 10 foot sections... Here's hoping the wording doesn't limit how large an area of structure can be affected by a single spell.too.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    It would work if people accepted wooden poles with holes in them at the same cost as regular wooden poles.
    If you cut the sections with holes and sell all of them as one-foot poles you're still profiting.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Wish for a spellbook filled with 25,000 gp's worth of wall of salt spells. The book itself is small (and apparently nonmagical), but each spell on it can expand into a 35 square foot wall that is 7" thick.

And each one is worth its literal weight in literal silver, and since it's a trade good, you can use it directly as money!

...Wait, what were we talking about, again?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-06-16 at 10:22 AM.
    ⚣ Tanuki in the Playground. ⚣

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Wish for a spellbook filled with 25,000 gp's worth of wall of salt spells. The book itself is small (and apparently nonmagical), but each spell on it can expand into a 35 square foot wall that is 7" thick.

And each one is worth its literal weight in literal silver, and since it's a trade good, you can use it directly as money!

You forgot the blue text.

Huh, what was that? Just my imagination.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-06-16 at 10:37 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    You forgot the blue text.

Huh, what was that? Just my imagination.
    I did what, now?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-06-16 at 09:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I understand that this is meant to be a joke, but why are you talking like you can cast spells out of a spellbook like they're scrolls?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I understand that this is meant to be a joke, but why are you talking like you can cast spells out of a spellbook like they're scrolls?
    Well, Spellhoarding Dragons can, for one.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Alacritous Cogitation? Amulet of spell conversion? Uncanny Forethought? Versatile Spellcaster?

All of them allow you to spontaneously cast from your spellbook. All ONE spell in it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

a club of infinite size cost 0g

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Torpin View Post
    a club of infinite size cost 0g
    So 25,000 / 0 = infiniclub error?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-06-16 at 11:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

So 25,000 / 0 = infiniclub error?
    Little known fact; the Verbal component for gate is "Divide by zero".
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Alacritous Cogitation? Amulet of spell conversion? Uncanny Forethought? Versatile Spellcaster?

All of them allow you to spontaneously cast from your spellbook. All ONE spell in it.
    Right, the way you wrote it made it sound like you were talking about a spell book filled with multiple copies of the spell, not just one, and then expending the copies to cast many copies of wall of salt.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Right, the way you wrote it made it sound like you were talking about a spell book filled with multiple copies of the spell, not just one, and then expending the copies to cast many copies of wall of salt.
    That's the joke.*

*Yeah, I don't believe it either.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Are you looking for an actual printed item or can I just say an infinitely large quarterstaff (or any other item with no price)?
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2019-06-17 at 03:16 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elysiume View Post
    Are you looking for an actual printed item or can I just say an infinitely large quarterstaff (or any other item with no price)?
    Printed would be best. Extrapolated but RAW could work too

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Pebbles are price - as well, so you can technically bend down and pick up any random planet-sized pebble.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

A whole lot of Grell Crystal? For 25k, that's a sheet 62500 sq.ft. (250 ft. on a side) at one inch thick. Though you'll probably want to invest in a decanter of endless water.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    A whole lot of Grell Crystal? For 25k, that's a sheet 62500 sq.ft. (250 ft. on a side) at one inch thick. Though you'll probably want to invest in a decanter of endless water.
    What the crap is Grell Crystal?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

You may need to define what aspect of 'largest' you're looking for here, because the answer may change depending on what you want to optimize. If you just want volume of the object, for example, I would bet the answer is 25,000 GP worth of some material fashioned into a hollow sphere - the thinner you can work the material before it collapses the better, so looking to adamantium, obdurium, riverine, aurorum, and the like. Not a physical property the game spends much time on, tho, so I doubt there's any practical way to determine just how big a sphere you could make out of any given material. (Riverine is probably the answer, considering it's made mostly of force and so is functionally infinitely strong and could theoretically be stretched almost infinitely thinly, but that's questionably 'non-magical' for purposes of Wishing. Would be an explanation for Spelljammer's Crystal Spheres, tho.. 'I wish for the largest possible sphere of Riverine' resulting in a universe-sized wall of impossibly thin force surrounding the plane >.> )

If you want the heaviest object you can get for that value, it's probably a different answer, and I would guess Hulking Hurler optimization threads probably have the answer.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

25,000gp = 250,000 lbs of iron, if that helps...

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    You may need to define what aspect of 'largest' you're looking for here, because the answer may change depending on what you want to optimize. If you just want volume of the object, for example, I would bet the answer is 25,000 GP worth of some material fashioned into a hollow sphere - the thinner you can work the material before it collapses the better, so looking to adamantium, obdurium, riverine, aurorum, and the like. Not a physical property the game spends much time on, tho, so I doubt there's any practical way to determine just how big a sphere you could make out of any given material. (Riverine is probably the answer, considering it's made mostly of force and so is functionally infinitely strong and could theoretically be stretched almost infinitely thinly, but that's questionably 'non-magical' for purposes of Wishing. Would be an explanation for Spelljammer's Crystal Spheres, tho.. 'I wish for the largest possible sphere of Riverine' resulting in a universe-sized wall of impossibly thin force surrounding the plane >.> )

If you want the heaviest object you can get for that value, it's probably a different answer, and I would guess Hulking Hurler optimization threads probably have the answer.
    It's for planet building.
    Am looking to Wish up as much material as possible at one time.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: What's the Largest Non-magical Object Worth 25,000gp or Less?

It's for planet building.
    Am looking to Wish up as much material as possible at one time.

Back to optimizing planet-sized pebbles, then!