Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [5e] Among the Stars (Recruitment Closed to New Interest)

Spoiler: A Bit of Story
    Show
    Curtains of illusion faded and fell, revealing a vast army rampaging toward the city. The flooded, muddy fields were jet black, boiling with a vile carpet of screaming flesh. For miles around, the countryside was covered with a baying, ravening multitude. Monstrous black shapes raged toward the city walls. There were spiders as big as dinner plates, as big as dogs, and some as big as mares. There were creatures with swords and monsters with spears. Here and there, titanic scorpions stood above the boiling mass, their backs crowned with ballista and howling warriors. Black widows the size of horses led the incoming waves, the creatures splashing through muddy fields to clamber up the walls. Other spiders had already reached the battlements, web stringing to the ground behind them as they climbed. The first wave of warriors reached the webs, and began to climb upward in a mass of hate and steel.

“Get down!” On the battlements the town guards flung themselves flat as a wave of spells shot upward from the on rushing hoards below. Lighting bolts smashed stone from the battlements and charred soldiers into ash. The commander pushed spear-men into cover, “Archers, pick your targets! Don't waste your fire! Kill the officers! Kill anyone who leads!” The monsters down below had the same orders. An arrow sped up from below toward the commander, and he contemptuously swatted it from the air with his sword, “Other soldiers, stay down! I want one man in three back at the stairs as a reserve!”

The commander strode the battlements, huge and powerful, his sword clenched in a white knuckled grip, his cloak streaming out behind him in a river of heavy cloth. Soldiers flung themselves into place along the wall, and the commander shoved men to their stations. He caught a young soldier and spun the man around, “You! Where are the officers for this section?” He demanded. “Dead!” another man yelled over his shoulder, ducking a crossbow quarrel from below, “Spider bites! There are black widow spiders in the barracks! Millions of them!”

The commander turned to gaze over the fields below. No inch of ground showed beneath the onrushing horde. There were tens of thousands of creatures down below – spiders, some the size of wagons, others no bigger than coins. Troglodytes, reptilian and stinking like pus, shambled forward. There were trolls and gargoyles and demonic shapes made from molten bone and spikes. There were creatures half scorpion and half flayed corpse who fought each other to be the first to the city walls, leaping and screaming as they fought through the fields of mud. Giant scorpions the size of war elephants strode among the rabble, and from armored cabins on their backs, lordly figures directed the attack. Whipping the wave forward, roaring in insensate lust for blood, there were the hideous shapes of tanar'ri demons. Darkness spells turned the world around them into night, while abyssal bats flapped like flayed corpses through the skies.

There could be no victory here, the commander knew, only the chance to take as many of their enemies with them into the next life as they could. Lifting his blade high he sliced the head off a troglodyte as it crested the wall, and he bellowed his rage and fear, “Fight on!! Reserves to the wall! Drive them into mud!” he swung his sword, rallying his troops around him before a huge ballista bolt suddenly slammed into him, ripping his torso from his legs and sending it gurgling to the streets below...

Malgoth, the self proclaimed Dark King, appeared from seemingly nowhere two years ago. His looming fortress of shadows rose from the northern mountains, causing earthquakes and volcanoes to devastate the land. From the deep places of the earth and the shadowed gates of his citadel came monsters and demons pulled from the darkest nightmares. It seemed nothing could stop the invasion, and the kingdom's military barely managed to hold a defensive line at the River Ganz.

Then your group took up the fight. Hailing from many different lands but united by a desire to perform great deeds, you were adventurers! You were the heroes the realm so desperately needed. In the past two years you have fought the minions of the Dark King where ever they have risen. You helped to reclaim the village of Eastmire. You rescued High Father Hune from his besieged temple in the Hills of Kellig. You infiltrated the iron mines of North Haven and defeated the cambion general Fallax. You rousted the drow forces from the city of Ravencia, and you have finally taken the fight to Malgoth himself.

With the aid of the Griffons of the Spire Mountains, you assaulted the defenses of the Dark King's fortress and managed to gain entry to Malgoth’s inner stronghold. Though traps, puzzles and hoards of demons you have battled to the top of the tallest spire to confront the Dark King in his seat of power. With the glimmering night sky visible through the glass domed roof of the circular chamber, you faced off against the Dark King and his two remaining generals. The battle has raged long, and even as the generals fall, Malgoth continues to draw on immense magical forces, pushing your group to the very precipice of the abyss. There is no turning back now. No surrender and no retreat. It has all come down to these last moments. Either you will kill Malgoth or you will fall, and the realm will fall with you....

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Dungeons & Dragons 5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Science Fantasy. A group of classic fantasy adventurers find themselves thrust into a science fantasy setting inspired by retro 80’s art, with no known method of returning home.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Recruiting no more than five players

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    GitP Forums Play-by-Post

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    The Characters will begin at 8th level

Battle Damage: Because this game begins at the end of an epic struggle, your characters will begin the game damaged and depleted. So characters will have maximum HP totals, but are required to start with only a third of their HP. Spells and other resources should likewise be suitably depleted to reflect a prolonged adventure.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Characters will begin with all the standard equipment provided by class and job, as well as two magical items of their choosing (one common and one rare).

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    I am looking to have a classic group of adventurers (Fighter, mage, cleric, thief) So I will be looking for classes that can conform to one of those roles.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Characters can be any standard race. No monstrous or otherwise classically evil races.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Use standard point buy to generate abilities

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Characters must be of good or neutral alignment. I am looking for Heroes, not anti-heroes.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Standard multi-classing rules apply.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players will roll their own dice and link rolls in the game thread along with the taken action

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    No hombrew material or 3rd party sources
    Official variant races and classes are allowed

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Character backgrounds should provide enough detail to give your character depth and personality.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    This game will involve a good amount of Roleplaying and Exploration. The focus of the game will be discovering the setting the characters will find themselves in and making a place for themselves. I will be running this in a largely sandbox style, and players choices will influence what type of game it turns out to be.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    I will not put any restrictions on what books are allowed.
    Last edited by The_GrinningMan; 2019-06-23 at 01:52 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Among the Stars (Open Recruitment until 6/23)

inspired by retro 80’s art
    Does that mean I can put my barbarian queen in a chainmail bikini

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Count me interested. I will have a light domain cleric up later today.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Interested. I have a Half-Orc fighter that I could use. But I also have been eyeing the swashbuckler rogue.
    Current Characters:
    Sergor "The Rowdy" Half-Orc level one Cleric
    Dorkas Ascondur Human level one Wizard

5. - Top - End - #5

I think I'll try out a Paladin wielding the Sun Blade.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds interesting, a great situation for an elf wizard.

Is Eladrin considered a standard race? If not, high elf suffices.

Where would character sheets be posted?

EDIT Initial bones of Velina
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-06-16 at 03:29 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh this sounds very cool. I love 80s style sci fi art.

With my beloved wizard class already picked, I'm thinking a rogue. I would probably have considered an assassin (always wanted to try one) but that is probably too morally grubby for the campaign. Maybe an Arcane Trickster?

Alternately a barbarian could be a lot of fun in a clash of styles way!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I can't believe nobody has claimed Ranger yet in a game about exploring strange new environments!
    I'll be using the Revised Ranger UA for that. Not sure which archetype yet.

9. - Top - End - #9

So... I was gonna make a cleric but then I had a funny idea I just had to make: A Kobold Mystic Mexican Wrestler who is the Neutral Good/self-proclaimed "King of All Kobolds". I know it violates the no monster races rule, but it's a really fun idea (please consider?) (rare item: belt of hill giant strength, common item: cloak of billowing).

Mechanically, he summons a few minions then grapples whoever looks scariest and tanks whatever they throw at him till they go down.

Kss'Ka (Ka):
    Kss'Ka grew up as an urchin in a human city with limited contact with other kobolds. In time, he began to express odd powers and incredible vitality. Witnessing the growing darkness and the plight of kobold kind, he was drawn into the struggle to oppose the (rival) 'king' Malgoth.

Sheet:
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1933028
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2019-06-16 at 01:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

I will also use revised ranger, but only as a dip.

the character is deep stalker 3/hexblade warlock 1/swashbuckler rogue 4.

background wise, he is a dark elf who specializes in manipulating his bubbles of darkness in order to create a fighting enviroment in which he can beat his opponent (translation-I use warlock spell slots in order to cast darkness around myself, and then I run up to people and beat the hell out of them)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

@The_GrinningMan: Are we allowed to use Dragonmark versions of standard races from Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be interested, not sure yet what I'd play. I've been on a big Gloryhammer kick lately. What kind of tone are we going for?
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-06-16 at 03:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Interested. Go with a cleric of some sort. Need to consider what I want to be.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Map for RotRL

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is Eladrin considered a standard race? If not, high elf suffices.

Where would character sheets be posted?
    Eladrin is fine. A linked mythweavers sheet is ideal.

So... I was gonna make a cleric but then I had a funny idea I just had to make: A Kobold Mystic Mexican Wrestler who is the Neutral Good/self-proclaimed "King of All Kobolds". I know it violates the no monster races rule, but it's a really fun idea (please consider?)
    Sorry no exceptions

...he is a dark elf
    Sorry, drow are traditionally a monster race and will not be permitted as a PC.

@The_GrinningMan: Are we allowed to use Dragonmark versions of standard races from Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron?
    I am not familiar with them. What are the differences?

What kind of tone are we going for?
    Not sure exactly what you're asking. This will be a serious game of exploration in a setting largely inspired by 80's science fantasy/Sci-fi

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_GrinningMan View Post
    Not sure exactly what you're asking. This will be a serious game of exploration in a setting largely inspired by 80's science fantasy/Sci-fi
    80's fantasy/sci-fi ("space opera") can be so dangerously cheesy that you can't tell if it's self-aware parody or was meant to be serious at the time, so I wanted to be sure if the campaign was to have a serious or tongue-in-cheek tone.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_GrinningMan View Post
    I am not familiar with them. What are the differences?
    Flavor wise, not much. It means you've got a particular magic mark on your body. It would have specific setting meaning in Eberron of course, but outside of that setting those details wouldn't really apply and you'd most likely just re-flavor them to mean something else. Most commonly I've seen this done as just a strange thing a character was born with (in the same way Sorcerers are just born magic for "shrug, who knows why?" or "it runs in the family" reasons).

Mechanically they're just swaps for the racial features of that race or a new subrace option, depending on the race.

The one I'm considering is the (Human) Mark of Finding. Mainly because it gives a little boost to my two important Wis skills which could use it since my Wisdom isn't going to be super high.

If it's not ok though, I'll just go with Wood Elf.

Spoiler: Mark of Finding
    Show

Ability Score Increase (Human). As a human, your Dexterity and Wisdom scores both increase by 1. In addition, one ability score of
    your choice increases by 1.

Ability Score Increase (Half-Orc). As a half-orc, your Strength and Wisdom scores both increase by 1. In addition, one ability score of your choice increases by 1.

Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Hunter's Intuition: Your mark sharpens your senses and helps you find your prey. When you make a Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check, you can roll one Intuition die, a d4, and add the number rolled to the ability check.

Imprint Prey: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is imprinted in your mind until it dies or you use this trait again. Alternatively, you can imprint a creature as your quarry whenever you succeed on a Wisdom (Survival) check to track it. When tracking your quarry, double the result of your Intuition die. When your quarry is within 60 feet of you, you have a sense of its location: it can't be hidden from you, gains no benefit from invisibility, and your attacks against it ignore half cover. Once you use this trait, you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Nature's Voice: When you reach 3rd level you gain the ability to cast locate animals or plants, but only as a ritual.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Goblin.

I've settled on the Gloom Stalker archetype for Ranger btw.

I have a couple questions about magic items.

First, can we choose to hold off on picking our Common magic item until we're selected? There's not a whole lot of them and it would be kind of lame to accidentally wind up with two people having the same ones. And none of them struck me as "this is a MUST" for my character so I'm happy to let other people have priority there.

Second, there is like..... one magic bow that isn't "generic +X weapon" in all of D&D 5e. (And I mean all, excluding 3rd party content.)
    Since we're 8th level I basically have to take my rare magic item as a weapon. And while I'll live with it if +2 Longbow is what I wind up with, if you'd allow I'd like to modify an existing item to be a magic Longbow.

What I'd most like to do is modify a Sun Blade to a Night Bow. Basically make it a bow of divine shadow. So keep the radiant damage and anti-undead feature. But change the light producing effect to an effect that reduces the light in the equivalent area by one step. (But not two steps, going from bright light to complete darkness. Because always being able to make the area immediately around you to complete darkness would probably be unfair. But being able to go from bright to dim or dim to dark seems reasonable. I'd probably also note it doesn't count as "magical darkness" since in addition to being too powerful for a side effect... it'd also be pointless at it would blind the user even if they have darkvision which isn't very useful.)
    (And if you're thinking "divine shadow/shadow radiant damage, what?" I'd just note there are sometimes good or at least neutral and anti-undead gods of darkness/death like the Raven Queen.
    I'll also note I'm not really expecting approval for this idea, but I didn't see any harm in asking.)
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-06-17 at 02:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm interested. Maybe I'll roll an Eldritch Knight v!human?
    Active Characters:
    Deon Wavewrath in Trials of Character
    D&D 5e Level 1 Classless Water Genasi

Jan Scrap in Agents of The Empire
    Human Slicer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I am interested as a wiz/monk ninja assassin kind of thing.

I have a character sheet already at a different level, I'll update/revise and post before the deadline.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Very tentative version of Dallan (My Arcane Trickster Rogue.)

I'm actually thinking of rebuilding him as a Bard (and maybe a her instead of a him), but I know that you want more traditional party slots filled.

Are Tieflings available or are they too monstorous?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Darn someone already went for bard, 80s pulp space opera would be a perfect for a rock star bard.

Perhaps a blade-lock monk?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1ring42 View Post
    Darn someone already went for bard, 80s pulp space opera would be a perfect for a rock star bard.

Perhaps a blade-lock monk?
    Its cool, you can take Bard. Someone went for my first choice (wizard) too.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To be fair, depending on the college, bards can fill alot of different roles.

Edit: Also the bard concept I'd like to go with very much depends on gm fiat. Basically core concept is indie rocker gets stuck in a fantasy world and would have joined with the party who is now stuck in this setting.
    Last edited by 1ring42; 2019-06-17 at 10:35 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1ring42 View Post
    To be fair, depending on the college, bards can fill alot of different roles.
    True. An all-Bard party could be a lot of fun (albeit outside the remit of this game.)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I'm currently working on a Polearm Fighter of some kind.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-06-17 at 11:51 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Preliminary sheet for Wilhem, a feral tiefling Monk 5/Wiz 3, still need to revise equipment and pick magic items.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1707265

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

And here's what I have so far for my 8th level Eldritch Knight. He's a hybrid, sure, but he's a lot more fighter than mage, and I picked two of his spells specifically because I thought they'd work well for tanking.

Meet Jaxon.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-06-17 at 03:48 PM.
    Active Characters:
    Deon Wavewrath in Trials of Character
    D&D 5e Level 1 Classless Water Genasi

Jan Scrap in Agents of The Empire
    Human Slicer

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

Im going to roll up a Rogue to hopefully fill that party role. Debating between Thief or Swashbuckler.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Yo...cters/13049039

Argan Stormbringer - Storm Sorcerery Tiefling
    Argan spent his time working for city water in Waterdeep. He comes from a long line of nobles, The Stormbringer Clan, most of which only are referred to as their surname. Argan is breaking tradition in more ways than one. While many of the Clan are half-elves and dragonborns, Argan is a Tiefling -- adopted by some of the lower class Stormbringers. The Stormbringers often leaned chaotic neutral or even evil in some instances, but Argan -- insisting he go by solely his first name, seeks to bring honor to the family Stormbringer and no longer make the name synonymous with fear.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Intellectually curious even at a young age, Velina found herself more often alone among books as she matured. Wizardry was an early interest, sparked into obsession by discovering divinations. History became a favorite topic and the library became her home for many decades. She traveled hither and yon on occasion to retrieve some treasured tome or visit another repository of written lore. During these excursions she occasionally met some interesting people.

Then came Malgoth, and suddenly her life changed...

Repost sheet link
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1936392
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

I'm interested and am currently rolling up a Half-Orc Paladin Warlock going for crown and celestial respectively. I want to do some battlefield control as well as secondary healing and damage dealing when needed. Also, I'm new to 5e; feats are an optional rule right? are we able to use them or no?
    Last edited by xxVEG; 2019-06-17 at 05:29 PM.