Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 216
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Alysians
    Eyeing the brawlers, Collector Vansha encourages the Prime Minister to move into the West Hallway where they can speak more quietly,

    Even if it's just sparring, it's concerning to see us all coming to blows so fast. I represent a collection of twenty-three different nations, and it took centuries for us to make peace with one another. I hope the relationship between our peoples develops more smoothly. We were planning a new phase of interstellar colonization before all of, she pauses, gesturing around, this occurred. I expect we'll have to take some time to figure out how to proceed. It would be helpful to know more about our galactic neighborhood. Would you object to us sending a scouting expedition to the space between our home systems? I see no reason for us to compete for space.

    Spoiler: That scouting expedition...
    Show

    As you can see in the IC thread of Turn 1 Actions, regardless of the response, the DCN tries to send a diplomatic exploration team in your direction (L26), but the mission will suffer a catastrophic failure.


    She continues, "Earlier, I spoke to the Courier about the Relay facility near your space. I hope this can be a tool for us to connect with the broader galaxy. I know Guardian has promised us access to faster space travel, but the galaxy remains a very large place. These exotic systems offer the chance for us all to be more closely connected. I hope we can work together to prevent any impediment to accessing the Relay."

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Going Nuts

    Jeejee beamed up at the diety while her fingers furiously danced on the screen of her hand computer. "So you're a smiteysmite god and a greatgreat twinklelight? Do you talk to other twinklelights, can other twinklelights talk? Homestar doesn't talk."

    "Aww staws tawk by emitting stewwaw wesonance. Whethew they'we saying anything is wawgewy up to the obsewvew. To date the staw you designate as homestaw has yet to weach out to the gwymwans in any meaningfuw mannew." OwO chimed in from its staff.

    "Oh singsong twinklights? Maybe we can craftmake songs from stellar bodies? Oh-" Jeejee took the proffered biscuit and looked it over before stashing it in a pocket on her vest, "Oh thankymuch. Oh! Do you eateat lifeblood of people? Or do you sustain off sweetcrackers?"

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Linguistic Derailing

    "I'm only thirty four!" Dr. Stradford moaned, defeated. "Whatever the hell that translates too in this new galactic nonsense. I wasn't paying attention. But yes! Yes, that last one was English. H-E-L-L-O. English is our official language. French, Spanish, German, and Hindi are still preserved on some of our moons. Admiral Khatri speaks fluent... ah, best not to bother him with his."

    The professor's mood dimmed and he lowered his voice. "Strictly speaking, this doesn't disprove the government's official Exodus Postulate. But my research does not support the idea that all of our languages evolved from an ancient common ancestor. You know English. Not some proto-language and not some derivate. You lot are on the other side of the bloody galaxy. You couldn't even have traveled from Celes in this time-frame suggested in our religious texts. You didn't come from us. We both came from some other place." With a glance around the room to the other humans and near-humans, he added, "All of us did. Oh, this is very exciting."

    Giggling, David held up his tablet again, this time the screen typed out the letters H-O-W D-O I L-O-V-E T-H-E-E L-E-T M-E C-O-U-N-T T-H-E W-A-Y-S

    "Recognize this one?"

    Grab 'em by the Princess

    "Princess Sai, was it?" It wasn't a question. The portly Celenian Ambassador had finally succeeded in cornering the Droccen girl. The tone of his voice was simultaneously condescending, believing the idea of royalty to be quaint and antiquated, and far too self important. Little did he realize that the Consul had only selected him for this assignment because he was expendable, just like the doddering old admiral and the upstart academic who took his objections to Republic doctrine public. If this had all been a trap, nothing of value would have been lost but for the younger Khatri, an almost peerless fighter pilot with a head for command and tactics.

    "You're quite fetching, aren't you, girl? Are all the ladies on your planet as pretty as you?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2019-06-18 at 10:14 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PepperP.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    West Siiiiide!
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Quote Originally Posted by Minescratcher View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Svetlana nodded and smiled at the Princess. "It does, actually; we have nothing similar in the Commonwealth. But after what I have already seen in this place, it does not surprise me. It is wonderful that your ancestors can continue to aid you in such a way."

    As she spoke, her smile grew broader, shadowed by the red dots around her mouth. From a distance, an observer might seem to see two smiles for a moment.

    "Do you think we might be able to bring some of your Guardians to Zara? Our researchers would love to gain a stronger grip on the spiritual side of this universe."

    Her grin changed to a secretive half-smile, and she whispered the last few words.

    "And just between you and me, some of them could use the advice in other things, too. Some of them aren't exactly the brightest."
    "Advice is our specialty." How the Guardian managed to puff out his metallic chest was a mystery.

    "He's really indispensable." Sai grinned at the Guardian's self-important tone even as she agreed with his assessment.

    "I do think we could manage to export those willing, which I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue finding enough, traveling to a new world should be very exciting, even to a Guardian." She looked to Kuro for confirmation of this and he nodded his large metal head obligingly.




    Quote Originally Posted by Moriko View Post


    Spoiler
    Show
    After the conversation with the Vice Marshal the odeum is scanned for other species to communicate with, another humanoid race is identified as the Droccen and the envoy moves over to establish communication. As the Droccen and the Djinye looked similar enough the only adjustments that needed to be made were height so while walking over to their representative adjustments were made (please note that going above 2.10 meters will start to compromise structural integrity of the envoy and will therefor not be able to match heights above this).

    "Greetings we are the Mier Formica and due to the proximity of our home stars we are pleased to make your acquaintance. We would like to inquire what your plans moving forward are in regards to expansion towards ourselves? For we wish to expand our borders but would like to avoid conflict with other advanced races for as long as possible but will not shy away from it."
    The Guardian stepped in front of his charge protectively but Sai pushed him back with an outstretched hand.

    "Wait! Wait a moment, please? I don't think they're trying to threaten me. Merely saying that they are willing to defend themselves. If need be?" She spoke hopefully. It would be a poor showing to come home with an enemy.

    "I believe I can safely say that we would not seek to infringe upon the systems that border your world, if you were willing to say the same for ours." She shifted uncomfortably beneath her Guardians weighted gaze though the barely perceptible nod of approval he gave her eased her tensions a bit.




    Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post

    Spoiler
    Show
    Are Caller AIs - like Guardian - filled with spirits of an ancestor?
    i


    From Guardian's unblinking eye, a light beam set series of sweeping scans of various greens, yellows, and blues carefully go up and down, side to side, and through Princess Sai's companion.

    "Complete makeup of Droccen Imperium 'Guardians' confirmed. Metaphysical spectral analysis indicates 'ancestral spirit' primary component for physical function, but different from metaphysical component required for Caller AI creation. Analysis result: No. Not an 'ancestral spirit'. Creators utilized something else. Emotion: Curiosity. Information specifically unavailable to prevent Caller AI from creating more Caller AI."
    The Guardian looked down upon himself quizzically as the light pierced his being.

    "Does it hurt?"

    "No."

    "They wanted to prevent the creation of more yous? But why? You're certainly a wondrous construct, we could only benefit from more of you, couldn't we?" The Princess frowned.

    "Or is it that we can not be trusted? Are we so very much like children to you?"




    Quote Originally Posted by KriegTiger View Post
    Droccen Imperium

    Spoiler
    Show
    The blue mote within the Aether stone glimmers just slightly after the interaction of the Guardian and Princess, the shimmer distributing among the rest of the inner lights before smoothing to a soft glow once more.

    “Princess Sai, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. We may be addressed as Talotius.”

    “Please forgive Our miscommunication, ‘sentients’ does not indicate a specific sibling.”

    “The Tezh perceive how all things in the Universe stem from the harmonic” the shoaling parabolic sub-frames shift as if a limb underneath were gesturing towards the attendees within the hall, the ‘cloak’ parting just slightly down the front like a garment naturally would, revealing nothing existing underneath “All here are an elevated sibling; ‘sentients’.”

    “With regard to your Grandmother, we would hope to offer our unique perception of siblings via the harmonic in ways which could aid in Their wellbeing, as it is our passion to strive for the betterment of All, as We are All part of One existence.[/INDENT]
    "It is a pleasure to meet you, Talotius." Sai smiled warmly at the friendly alien.

    "I think my Grandmother would very much like to meet you and discuss the philosophy of the one with you. Did you want to come back to Droccen with us...?" She trailed off as her Guardian leaned down to "whisper" something in her ear.

    "Oh! I forgot the portal would just send you back to your own system. Well, I would very much like to keep in touch if possible."




    Quote Originally Posted by RandoMan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "With the technology provided by Guardian it should be possible for your planet's ships to reach Dawn Embrace. I am certain Abbess Hermona would welcome fellow adherents of the One as both students and protectors."

    Gertwin was herself eager to see how the Droccen grew as the nearest known follower of the One who might grow the Sisterhood's shared philosophy among the galactic denizens and perhaps as consequence aid in the protection of the Core.
    "We would like to visit very much, thank you Sister!" She couldn't wait to get home and tell her Grandmother all about her visit. Sai looked at the varied assemblage still in awe and thought maybe she could wait a little after all.




    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Grab 'em by the Princess
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Princess Sai, was it?" It wasn't a question. The portly Celenian Ambassador had finally succeeded in cornering the Droccen girl. The tone of his voice was simultaneously condescending, believing the idea of royalty to be quaint and antiquated, and far too self important. Little did he realize that the Consul had only selected him for this assignment because he was expendable, just like the doddering old admiral and the upstart academic who took his objections to Republic doctrine public. If this had all been a trap, nothing of value would have been lost but for the younger Khatri, an almost peerless fighter pilot with a head for command and tactics.

    "You're quite fetching, aren't you, girl? Are all the ladies on your planet as pretty as you?"
    Sai blinked in surprise at the pale portly gentleman.

    "Oh yes, that is my name. How did you know?" She tilted her head as she spoke as though the new perspective might help in deciphering his tone.

    "fetching?" She looked up to her Guardian for clarification who shook his head decisively.

    "Oh well no, I suppose not." She smiled a bit bashfully even as the Guardian held his finger up to pause her.

    "That's not actually what I meant..." Though the Princess's attention were on the strange man for the moment.




    Kombuch

    All bright-eyed and dazzled after stepping away from her audience with Sister Gertwin, Sai cheerfully stopped to chatter at the first alien she found.

    "Oh hello there! Where are you from? I am from Droccen, my name is Princess Sai." Her tone was quite chipper as she babbled to the rather large and bulbous creature. The Guardian glanced at her in disapproval.

    "It is a pleasure to meet you. This is my Guardian, Kuro." She strove for a more formal tone but her heart wasn't in the pomp in her excitement to meet such an exotic people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Miltonian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brinstar Depths
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Bull-Headedness: Tra Gutri and the Minotaur King

    Tra Gutri does not give up until it is painfully clear that neither of them are going to be doing any significant moves on each other anytime soon. He relaxes his grip and steps back, nodding to his opponent. "Thrikar," he says in his growling voice, "Whether we are destined to be friends or enemies, time will tell. But here and now, I salute you."



    It's All in Your Head!: Tur Oblom and the Kamasati.

    The Lyraen starts at the sudden words that form in his head and quickly calls to mind strange glyphs and other things that block a good portion of it from being directly accessed. He muttered a word or two as well, words which have great significance to him. And from that significance comes a sort of power.

    "Moon," he says, jumpy and ill-at ease with this mental conversation, "You said something about the moon. Are you Lunatics? Were you the ones that took him?" The word itself does not do justice to the meaning described to it. He might as easily have said 'demons' or 'lost causes'. Even through the glyphs, the Kamasati read an image of someone, a father turned into a growling, snarling beast, driven mad and mind-taken by demons sent from the Ever-Moon. He delved too deep into dark secrets and the darkness took him.

    The Moon, it seems, is not a warmly regarded by the Lyraens.



    Going Nuts: Lyrae and the entire Grymlan Delegation

    Lyrae chuckles, something about the questions lifting her spirits and making her almost giddy. "I don't know!" she says, "But I intend to find out. And if you were willing to help, I would be very grateful indeed."

    She regards OwO with keen eyes from behind her mask. "Stellar resonance," she repeats, "Well, that's as good a place to start as any. I'm afraid I don't have any biscuits you could eat, but perhaps I could send you the recipe and you could simulate eating them?"

    The last few questions make her laugh, loud and merrily with not a hint of ill-will. "While I do love these biscuits, I must watch my mortal form's figure. We are both me, you know. Yet this body eats like any other. I am particularly fond of fried fish covered with a sort of crusty exterior and served with sauce. Oh! And baked, er, vegetables...no. A special kind of vegetable, not just vegetables in general. Anyway, you fry it up in oil and...Bother. I am not sure how to describe it. I don't know if you have anything similar."

    "But no. I don't eat my subjects. Nor do I eat Grymlans or any other sentient creature."

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Linguistic Derailing

    The Admiral scowled at the interruption and did not let up as the Tel-Amanyn Viceroy told off the random man who'd approached her. "Likely at least forty.", she advised casually, before her thoughts caught up with her. "Who are you? Why did you feel the need to interr-hold on. Was that English? How are you possibly writing in recognizable English?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Linguistic Derailing

    "I'm only thirty four!" Dr. Stradford moaned, defeated. "Whatever the hell that translates too in this new galactic nonsense. I wasn't paying attention. But yes! Yes, that last one was English. H-E-L-L-O. English is our official language. French, Spanish, German, and Hindi are still preserved on some of our moons. Admiral Khatri speaks fluent... ah, best not to bother him with his."

    The professor's mood dimmed and he lowered his voice. "Strictly speaking, this doesn't disprove the government's official Exodus Postulate. But my research does not support the idea that all of our languages evolved from an ancient common ancestor. You know English. Not some proto-language and not some derivate. You lot are on the other side of the bloody galaxy. You couldn't even have traveled from Celes in this time-frame suggested in our religious texts. You didn't come from us. We both came from some other place." With a glance around the room to the other humans and near-humans, he added, "All of us did. Oh, this is very exciting."

    Giggling, David held up his tablet again, this time the screen typed out the letters H-O-W D-O I L-O-V-E T-H-E-E L-E-T M-E C-O-U-N-T T-H-E W-A-Y-S

    "Recognize this one?"


    Linguistic Derailing

    By now the Viceroy's expression had darkened considerably and he wanted nothing more than to throw this young upstart down the Odeon steps. Fortunately for the unidentified human he decided not to do that and instead placed one large, clawed hand on his shoulder to properly get his attention. He glared down at him with his red eyes.
    "I see that your kind did not send their brightest to this gathering," he said with a soft growl, "At least I very much hope that was the case. Tell me youngling, does your interest in linguistics extend to body language, or have I suddenly turned invisible?"
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DionysisReborn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    The Rocthurhi anxiously awaited the designated time. The instructions had been extremely precise in the construction, so it was assumed to be equally precise in the time to activate it. As Faugloglys and members of their leadership pod prepared for the time, they wondered what it would do. There were so many options. None of the best minds in the ocean had been able to figure it out. Nothing in the Nexus had anything that could suggest it's purpose, even with the diagrams.

    At the designated time, the device was activated. The results were bewildering. It was like a door, but not a normal one. The water did not rush into the door, it didn't flow through the doorway into the room on the other side. But that's obviously what it was, a door. Quickly Faugloglys designated two other members of the leadership pod to accompany him through the door. They were unsure whether consensus and communication would be possible from wherever they were going, and it was always better to have a consensus.

    To say that what lay on the other side of the door was shocking would be an understatement. So many alien races, what appeared to be an AI, talk of FTL travel across the galaxy, all being presented so suddenly. In addition to this, Faugloglys noted three things. First, that a large majority of the aliens in this place appeared to be land dwelling bipeds. Most were mammalian of some sort. While it had occurred to the Rocthurhi that intelligent mammalian life was possible, it was certainly not what was expected. Well, none of this was expected, but this was certainly a surprise. The second thing they noticed was that in spite of the apparent lack of humidity in the room, the air did not feel uncomfortable against their skin. The last thing, and most surprising, was that while they were able to maintain consensus with the other two members of their pod, there was a complete lack of consensus throughout the room. It was shear chaos. It was almost like everyone in the room was projecting emotions/opinions/thoughts and not listening to the others. Always pushing and never giving ground to the others. And there were some who's "voices" in the consensus was extraordinarily loud. Using the map provided by the Guardian they identified these loudest voices as the Symbraum and the Kamasati. This information was noted for follow up investigation.

    This discord was hard to bare, but once the Guardian AI was finished Faugloglys mentally centered themselves in the small consensus of their pod, and attempted to navigate through the crowd. This actually proved a little difficult. With 7 meter long tentacles, the choices were either to consume far too much floor space or to try to stand tall. The space was large, but there were a number of other beings here, so they went with a middle ground. This was still a little awkward as they took up a circle on the floor about 5 meters wide, even with the tentacles bunched close, and were about 3 meters tall. Faugloglys did not normally do this, and it would get tiring, but he had 12 tentacles, so they could probably rotate which ones were holding the majority of the weight. The other members of the pod followed suit.

    Sisterhood of Silence:

    Given all of the information that was given, the most immediately applicable piece was that the Sisterhood also believed in the one. Faugloglys and the two others moved towards the Sister and introduced themselves. When they spoke, it was words, but something else seemed to come with the words. Through the words?

    Warm thoughts, Sister<a clear sunrise warming the top of the water>. We were told you<her alone and her sitting with other sisters> were part of the growing understanding of The One<her welcoming someone into a familial group>. This one is Consensus Leader Faugloglys, and this one is pleased to meet you<seeing a friend after a long absence>. This one is excited to know that the The Oneness is expanding<a parent's joy at the birth of a child> and would like to assure you that we do not want to discover the evil<a megalodon sized shark coming out of dark water with its mouth open> you speak of in the core<a desert full of skeletons>. Is there anything we<several large pods of Rocthurhi> can do to help The One<the map of Axiom with all races on it>?

    The Tezh Consensus:

    As Faugloglys was walking through the Odeum and trying to ignore the chaos in the space, they suddenly felt something that stood out from the rest. There was a being that was unlike anything else in the room. They would have called it a robot, but that was too simple of a word, and it obviously was more than one entity. They knew this because the thing that had caught their attention was the fact that they could feel the being's internal consensus. This certainly called for investigation, and it turns out that this being was a neighbor, galacticly speaking. Faugloglys approached Talotius slowly, while trying, unsuccessfully, to be smaller than they were. They hoped they were not intimidating.

    Pleasant finding you<a warm current in frigid water>. This one is Consensus Leader Faugloglys, and this one can't help but notice that you are many, but in accord<a murmuring of starlings flying together>. This appears to be rare here. You are also a neighbor<greeting a familiar person> and this one hope that we can work together peacefully<a construction team building something together> to build a better whole<a house becoming a community center>. Speaking of which, do you<many lights in a small room> know of The One<the map of Axiom with all races on it>?

    The Sublime People's Republic:

    Again attempting to be smaller than they are, Faugloglys approaches Chairman Ren.

    Excuse me, sir<a student raising their hand timidly in class>. This one is Consensus Leader Faugloglys, and this one heard you speaking to the Sisterhood about The One<his voice "messages regarding the One">. This one was wondering if you were the Consensus Leader for your people<Chairman Ren standing in front of all of the near human races in attendance>. There are so many of you<a large group of generic humanoids lacking distinct features>, and we only brought three.
    Last edited by DionysisReborn; 2019-06-18 at 11:26 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Nefarion Xid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Linguistic Derailing

    The professor looked from the claw on his shoulder to the reptilian's stern face. Their situation considered, mischief won over fear. His eyes danced with amusement and he pushed his spectacles up to better regard the hulking creature. "'I note the obvious differences between each sort and type, but we are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.' Oh, I read your body language clearly. You are unmistakable in your meaning. My people also imply the threat of physical violence over small slights at parties. Honestly, it's a time honored tradition, usually with more ethanol involved..."

    Grab 'em by the Princess

    "Oh, I heard you introduce yourself more than once. You caught my eye, you see." The ambassador chortled as his own non-joke and retrieved the folds of his neck from his too-tight collar. "Tell me, do they have arranged marriages on your world? I just got divorced myself. Absolute banshee of a woman."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2019-06-19 at 12:20 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Linguistic Derailing

    The professor looked from the claw on his shoulder to the reptilian's stern face. Their situation considered, mischief won over fear. His eyes danced with amusement and he pushed his spectacles up to better regard the hulking creature. "'I note the obvious differences between each sort and type, but we are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.' Oh, I read your body language clearly. You are unmistakable in your meaning. My people also imply the threat of physical violence over small slights at parties. Honestly, it's a time honored tradition, usually with more ethanol involved..."


    Linguistic Derailing

    The Viceroy's lip curled up slightly as though amused by the human's attempts at humour though he did not remove his hand.
    "I see then. It is rudeness not obliviousness that explains your behaviour, this is an encouraging sign. Luckily I am feeling generous and thus will grant you the opportunity to make a second impression. It is a shame though, had I unlocked the power of invisibility it would have made for a very entertaining evening."
    At last he removed his hand from the linguist's shoulder before he introduced himself.
    "I am Azric Rey-Vandriss, four hundred and eleventh Viceroy of the Undying Sovereign of Amanyk."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Rolepgeek's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    ~~~

    Spoiler: From Sea to Shining Sea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Vilari

    Among the aliens waiting along the perimeter of the Odeum Δ was a single representative of uncertain intent. Standing more that two meters tall, most of the alien's body was sheathed in silver-black ceramic armor, the glossy surface broken regularly by pulsating patterns of electric blue. Only the creature's face was open to the elements, revealing maroon scales and an impassively featureless face. Unlike many assembled, it lacked both lips and nose, its emotions hidden behind a hardened face-plate that rose into a crest reminiscent of coral or the petals of a flower. Its black eyes seemed overlarge for its head, and burned with red irises that shifted constantly in the bright light of the Simulacrum. It stood perfectly still as Guardian spoke, arms folded behind its back, until at last the Odeum erupted into activity. Arms emerged, and in each six-fingered hand was an orb of the same material as the alien's suit.

    <Record.>

    The two drones hummed to life, rising into the air and slowly drifting into place above the common area. Their master followed, eyes scanning the assembled multitudes intent on a few key species. But then a commotion from another Doorlight Balcony, as a reptilian alien collapsed to its hands. The silent representative's lower lip quirked, and it turned to meet the distraught delegate at the end of her staircase.

    <Greetings, traveler.>

    The creature's right hand rose, palm outwards and with all fingers splayed open.

    <Are you well? Forgive our presumption, but we noticed your distress upon the Doorway.>


    Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner looked up at the strange being staring presenting one hand in...greeting. Right, of course. Obviously. Quite tall, though, of course, the Living-Reliquary was taller still. On which note - the Godspeaker and her protector met eyes and had what seemed a miniature conversation in the briefest instant, before Grace nodded and moved away, to satisfy both her own needs and aid the Churches that had revived her.

    On her part, Androgynous-Foreigner pulled herself up, to her full height, face lifting to look at the ceiling as she tapped both palms against her chest, claws clacking against the scale there and disturbing the splayed lines of blessings, which jangled and scraped on their chains. Her prosthetic tail couldn't make the characteristic "trumph" of a formal greeting against the ground, but it still smacked audibly enough to be heard. Even as she felt embarrassed by the faux pas, she thought the feeling absurd. The alien was from some other part of the galaxy; what would they care for minutiae concerning Spire-Sea formality?

    Settling back to a more comfortable posture, though still upright enough to allow her easier view of the individual's entirety.

    "I thank you for your concern, old stranger; I am fine. It's simply that you don't find your greatest hopes and fears realized all at once every day. But please, allow me to introduce myself, such that we might become new friends."

    The formality, Androgynous-Foreigner was quickly realizing, was for her benefit more than theirs. It was a raft of normalcy, and a familiar form to follow. And besides; this was to be the first of many interactions. A casual first contact discussion would probably be bad precedent, or something. Though she'd never learned the proper way to greet aliens...

    "My name is Androgynous-Foreigner Allchurch Spirescarheights, Twice Inspired, and I serve as Godspeaker for the Federated Churches of Origin's End. May our faiths inspire and your gods last long."

    Behind her, the now (mostly) recovering guards were discussing what they should do, and Androgynous-Foreigner's tail rapped on the ground with two quick taps to direct their attention, at which point the larger of the two bobbed their head and took a few bounding steps back through the doorway, while the other took a few steps forward to start looking around the room...

    ~~~

    Spoiler: A Tall Tail
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    [B][U]

    Interrupting the Rhoshans’ post-announcement time of revelation, excitement, and contemplation, a broad-shouldered and well-groomed Lyraen approaches with a bit of a swagger in his steps. His eyes seem to fall on them for the first time and he takes a step back in shock and surprise. “And to think,” he says, “That the universe contained such exotic beauty.” He bows with a warm smile. “[b]My friends, I am Ool Vulk: adventurer, poet, and dabbling philosopher of the Lyraen people.”

    He eyes the eight foot warbot, which has almost a full two feet on him...and returns his attention to the flesh and blood creatures instead.


    This wasn't what she had expected when she volunteered for this detail.

    To be perfectly honest, she didn't know what she had been expecting, exactly, but it wasn't this. Well, while the Godspeaker was preoccupied with the...coral-petal-alien(?), it seemed her remaining guard would be left with the duty of dealing with...uh, Ool Vulk?

    Feminine-Honest-And-Just eyed the 'adventurer-poet' with suspicion, but rose to attention nonetheless, arms crossing her chest. Her armor, a series of overlapping metallic and ceramic plates with embedded designs, connecting fabrics, and salvaged electronics, hid most of her scales, but those that were visible were clearly different from the Godspeaker's. They were thinner, with a lighter, almost lustrous golden color, dulling to a pale yellow at the edges before flattening into short, dense white hairs. Though her motorpike had been conficasted (she assumed) by the God that had called them here, it sounded like she wouldn't need it, if she had understood Guardian's proclamations correctly. Standing fully erect, the Rass was just perhaps a head shorter than the Lyraen in front of her, long tail sliding across the ground behind her for balance.

    As for the alien in front of her...well. It wasn't like ignoring them would do any good for diplomatic relations, and in this place no violence would come to the Godspeaker unless their local Ordained Intelligence desired it. So...

    "Very kind of you to say, sir, but I am unsuited for such flattery; I am sure there are many here more deserving of your praise than a Sanctity Officer. If you would hear it, sir, I would tell you that my name is Feminine-Honest-And-Just Ninthbodygolden Sandssmith, Special Sanctity Officer First Class, serving Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner Allchurch Spirescarheights the Federated Churches of Origin's End."

    Having introduced herself, Feminine-Honest-And-Just allowed herself to relax from the salute, stretching her neck to look at Ool Vulk.

    So, if it please you, tell me: are poets and philosophers commonly among those sent to meet with foreign states, or was your presence a gift for this alone?"

    ~~~
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2019-06-19 at 03:01 PM.
    Empire!4 - A community world-building game. Always recruiting.

    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gengy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Spoiler: ...you crazy Diamond.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    We Have a New Mission!

    Lyrae sits as if one frozen. Her breath catches in her throat, and, for a long moment, she cannot speak. Then, with a voice that carries only a slight tremble, she says, “Thank you, Guardian. You have indeed given me hope.

    She rises, shock giving way to resolve: an iron resolve that shall outlive the current Ascended One and pass down through each and every one after her. “If you are willing, I wish to leave a message for any such Living Luminaries that happen to stumble across you. Tell them…” She pauses and fingers her mask. She raises it and stares into the empty sockets, as if contemplating it. “Tell them they are not alone.

    In the meantime, I now know what I must do.” She re-affixes the mask to her face and smiles. “I must learn to talk to stars and listen to hear if they respond.

    With a slight bow, she goes to leave.


    The hologram clicks and whirs once more. Before returning to a neutral position back on the smaller glass screen in this private room, Guardian's shrinking form states, "Message recorded. Shine on, Luminary."




    Odeum Δ - So Many Public Queries

    Guardian states nothing in response to the Pontiff of Iteus choosing to step away for a time; possibly because there was no response required, possibly because the advanced AI was aware of the concept of guilt and was wondering if it's emotional algorithm could feel such things. More than likely, though, it continued to be efficient with it's time, and there continued to be a large number of public questions within Oduem Δ. Not to mention those that were occurring within Odeum α, Odeum β, Odeum γ, Odeum ε, and Odeum φ. Maturation of so many species was always difficult, and checking it's mood spectrum, Guardian was privately aware that it was feeling satisfaction.

    Axiom would continue to thrive. There was nearly a 99.0999% chance that conflict would occur, but that was always happening, and was one of the methods of advancement. Axiom had a balance between order and chaos, and with what Guardian had started here, would continue to do so. The AI's purpose was going to live on, even if it, itself, did not.

    It populated more questions onto Odeum Δ's screen.

    Why bring us to the point of maturation only to have us warned against the danger of the core? You must know there are those of us who will seek to uncover its secrets regardless of the Sister's deterrents. Is it not within your capabilities? Unless you do not believe [the Sisterhood] is credible?
    i


    "Power supplies required to personally defeat Sisterhood identified threat, classification <The Great Evil>, would drain last resources of <-----/*****/{}{}{}> Untranslatable to perilous levels. Cannot both start [/B]<changeover/baptism/evolution> Maturation and also deal with threat. Additionally, threat continues to be contained. Considered threat level very low compared to other more imminent threats that needed this one's attention more immediately. Galaxy meant to be addressed by seven Caller AI, not just this one. Plausible: mistakes have been made. Emotion: Regret."

    "Additional information related to inquiry: Sisterhood of Silence is trusted. They agreed to help, but the condition of their agreement was that this one would advise caution in entering the restricted zones of their choosing. Whether you listen to their requests or not is your choice; which was this one's condition. They would warn you away, but they will not limit your decisions."

    Why not give us the power to defeat whatever Evil supposedly lies within?
    i


    "This one deems that this one has, if the threat is treated with caution. Plausible - and advised - course of action is to continue to allow Sisterhood of Silence containment to continue, and threat will remain contained.
    Alternative suggestions for dealing with threat not available, due to agreement with Sisterhood of Silence."


    What happens when someone enters the center of the galaxy?
    i


    "Question will need clarification. Exact center of galaxy, or just the perimeter warned away by the Sisterhood? For the former, you will have emotion: satisfaction of having achieved a goal many Ancient races felt was a mark of passing. For the latter, please speak with Sister Gertwin."

    Are ‘supervisors’ other Caller AI, or the Callers directly?
    i


    "Organizational structure of Callers had three Callers monitoring reports from <Fury/Justice/Peace> Arbiter. Two were documentors. The third was the Supervisor, empowered with decisive abilities. Decisive abilities were exercised upon receiving incident report. Further details unavailable."

    Please list Caller AI at authority/responsibility level equivalent to Guardian and Arbiter.
    i


    <Fury/Justice/Peace> Arbiter
    <Historian/Classifier/Doctor> Archive
    <Transporter/Beyonder/Efficiency> Conveyance
    <Expulsion/Artistry/Redaction> Disposal
    <Tutor/Keeper/Caretaker> Guardian
    <Acquirer/Unseen/Claimer> Finder
    <Lecturer/Voice/Fun> Orator

    They wanted to prevent the creation of more [Caller AI]? But why?
    i


    "Power output of a true Caller AI like this one is considerable when using full systems. Current functional power output deemed to be at most, 2% of maximum. Well below suggested levels before entering power conservation mode. Supposition: creating additional Caller AIs deemed inefficient. No evidence to support supposition. Distinct lack of evidence suggests hardware coding issue or lack of permissions."

    "Or is it that we can not be trusted? Are we so very much like children to you?"
    i


    "This one trusts each of you to do what is best for your races. This one hopes that you will do what is best for Axiom. In that regard, this one understands you may feel as though you are children compared to this one. This one is more of --- Translating --- Unable to solidify singular word. Concept: parent is not around, legal system mandates a supervisor for child. Uncertain of translation for individual cultures. Not all of them have this type of system. Those that do seem to refer to such a being as a legal guardian. Emotion: Amused."

    Can we meet the Callers?
    i


    "As you are now? No. As you may become advanced? Possibility low, and ill advised. What you become after that? Assuming the creators still exist, possibility increases to a near certainty."

    Will we be able to access the Simulacrum in the future?
    i


    "Doorlight system is, for your current level of technology, power intensive. However, the Simulacrum through the Doorlight system will remain available for your races to continue to visit the facilities of Odeum Δ. Odeum α, Odeum β, Odeum γ, Odeum ε, and Odeum φ are on different <Levels/Spectrums/Frequencies> Wavelengths, and will remain inaccessible. Odeum Δ is the largest grouping, and as species are met, Δ will become the primary meeting Odeum for future Simulacrum interactions."

    "Emotion: Hope. This place will continue to retain this one's minimal facility AI, even after power conservation mode fails. For as long as the Simulacrum survives, this one will have at least some continued function. In this way, this place will continue to serve as a neutral meeting location for all of Axiom."





    Guardian observes the Rothuun's challenge to the collected crowd, and when it becomes obvious that the participants are willing and not coerced, and there is no lasting harm, does nothing. Still, a brief warning is added to the list of questions, but unlike the questions, does not scroll or change location as more questions are added.

    "Given time, Odeum Δ will install a room in the East Hallway for future Tests of Strength. Please be advised that all participants must enter of their own free will, and that intentionally inflicting lasting harm during competition will be treated as violence."




    Spoiler: Meritocracy and the Guardian
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    After Orrin is done listening to answers for the public questions, he steps into one of the rooms in the West Hall and requests to talk to the Guardian.

    "Guardian. Though you've been helpful so far, I can't shake the feeling that you are hiding many important things from us."

    He taps the table with his fingers as if to indicate impatience, before quickly firing off a series of questions, cutting off the Guardian midsentence if it starts to answer, to ask yet another question, hoping to intimidate the AI into revealing its secrets. "How can we access Caller technology? If it is too complex to understand, as you say, can't you tell us how can we advance our scientific understanding of the world in order to understand it? If you are as powerful as you claim, you should have no issue with telling us your physical location, so where are you in Axiom?"

    He pauses for a while, savoring the final question on his mind, before he finishes off with: "Who are the pirates that call themselves Eradicators? They have captured many of our ships, and thus they pose a threat to the galaxy, yet you did not say a word of them. Who are they? Why are they not here? Where are their bases? Why weren't they annihilated by you or the Callers, if they are hostile?"

    He then goes completely silent and proceeds to stare intently at the AI, trying to gauge its emotions just as if he were interrogating a human subject.


    The door behind Marshall Orrin locks in place, to prevent others from entering on a private conversation. "Emotion: Amused."

    "This one is hiding things from you. Some things have restricted information that this one cannot override just as much as Meritocracy Marshall Orrin cannot override his requirement to consume food. We are 'hard coded' to do certain things."
    Guardian's hologram moves from the small screen at one side of the table to be opposite Orrin, and the egg-shape grows to be near the same size as the leader of the Mertiocracy's own head.

    "There are certain fragments of Caller technology that still exist. You may access their technology by gathering those fragments. This is one way to advance. The other is to explore the Galaxy, find new races, mingle science and understanding, and slowly come to understand more of the universe. This is what the Callers did."

    "My physical location is now the same as the hardware within the Simulacrum."

    "Assembled beings are in the Simulacrum. The Simulacrum will continue to function during this one's power conservation mode, and beings may use their Doorlights to return at any time for diplomatic discussions between their counterparts. Violence will continue to not be tolerated. The Simulacrum is considered neutral in all respects. A simplified version of this one's programming will remain to answer questions and facilitate communication."

    Guardian's holographic egg-shape is replaced by the Axiom Galaxy map, which swirls large once more, and then there is a subtle shift as the whole of the map temporarily splits in four quadrants; northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest. There is a distinct space of separation between each quadrant, but a bright yellow dot in the middle of the northeast and northwest quadrants' separation line appears. Guardian's voice continues, "Many call the locale that the Simulacrum is physically in The Beyond. Access will require sufficient advancements in intergalactic travel through <θθθθ/ξξξξ/σσσσ> Untranslatable to reach physical doorway outside Simulacrum's hardware."

    "As for the Eradicators... they are a relatively new threat. Recent in the last Galactic Year. Had this one further power levels, this one would deal with them. Emotion: Regret. Not enough power levels to do so.
    No additional information on their base locations. Assessment: They are pirates, whom are using Ancient tech to prey on the weak. Estimation: There is a base north of your galactic coordinates."
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

    "What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

    Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DoomHat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin Tx

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    The JFU Entry Point


    Spoiler: Peachkeen Xio
    Show

    Here seen in a drab maintenance uniform, Engineer Xio was concerned she would be under-dressed for such an important event, but is relieved to see that (by Jackstar standards) everyone else present is dressed in weakened casual.


    “Hm. A computer? Very well." Xio said, glancing at her surroundings with a finger on her chin.

    She struck a mild pose and said, “I want to make sure we have effective peer to peer communication with other constellations. Can that be arranged without having to break down and reverse engineer the 'light door' ourselves?

    "Also, please provide a digital transcript of your entire conversation tree for this event, containing all answers you’re willing or capable of providing to the questions your surveillance of us can project our academic crews will want to know.

    "Or do those requests have to be framed as inquiries? How much are you charging for these services? Also, please provide me a map to my booth, and provide me a schedule for main-day events. When is the JFU set to present? How much time backstage will I be given to prepare?

    "This, is a trade show isn't it?”



    Spoiler: Later, With The Casrule Movement of the Kryptids
    Show
    "This is a lot to take in isn't it?" The First equal approached the leader of the Jackstar free union. The buzzing sound combined with the wings quickly catching through the air made them obvious to make out. Their eyes moved over the crowd for a moment before going to the other Kryptids present... The battle armor made their face hard to make out and when he lifted the helmet the features were incredibly alien. "We are the legitimate government of the Kryptid people. We are currently dealing with religious zealots... We have noticed a lot of that among our neighbors we were hoping you would see the value of equality and choice. Perhaps a friendship could be forged at something like this."

    Peachkeen Xio vogued at the First Equal in polite recognition before replying, "It's been several months of poor sync, honestly, all the anticipation, and apprehension about the device that brought us here, honestly it's something of a relief.

    "More over I suppose our people were blessed enough to have already had a First Contact experience from within our own constellation. It wasn't too surprising to discover the larger galaxy was inhabited.".

    She adjusted her vogue from a greeting to a negotiating pose, "As to your sovereignty problems, you were right to come to the Free Union. It's familiar sort of problem to us, and we have a number of conflict resolution service packages to choose from. Shall we continue this somewhere a little more discreet? "
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2019-06-19 at 01:14 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RandoMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Quote Originally Posted by Tentreto View Post
    Spoiler: Sisters
    Show

    "That is a fairly short amount of time for ones like Guardian. QUESTION We may wish to study this in future. Are there any of your bases nearer us, as we would exerience limited contact otherwise?"
    Gertwin shook her head slowly, "Our monasteries only exist around the Core to keep our vigil. Perhaps in time with proper reasons we might establish monasteries elsewhere away from our site of vigil but to do so will not be an easily accomplished task and shall require sound reason to send fellow Sisters away from where they are most desperately needed."

    Quote Originally Posted by SOSDarkPhoenix View Post
    Spoiler: Sisterhood
    Show
    In time, Tim went to see the emissary of the sisterhood, yet again bowing humbly, if a bit awkwardly. "You are the sister of silence, yes? If you do not speak, that is acceptable. We simply wish to express our mutual fondness for the concept of oneness, though ours is perhaps different to yours. We would very much like to speak more of this with you, and ask questions that you may have answers to." Tim's lips twitched into something resembling a smile. It was bad, but it would improve over time.
    Sister Gertwin's head crooked to the side slightly as she gazed at this apparent human who was more than human, "If you have questions ask them that I may answer them truthfully."

    Quote Originally Posted by KriegTiger View Post
    West Hallway
    Sisterhood of Silence

    Spoiler
    Show


    This answer does not seem to satisfy Talotius’, as the motes within the Aether stone flutter and ripple intensely for a few long moments. They want more detail, more knowledge, but it is unlikely to be given with direct questioning, especially in such a public space. The blue and red ones in particular fluoresce back and forth with dissonant patterns longer than the others before there is quiescence once more.

    “We will strive to assign assets to the Vigil as resources allow, Sister.

    If We may excuse Ourselves, Sister. We wish to further explore and greet our siblings."
    "Thank you Talotius of the Tezh, go in peace," the Sister inclined her head respectfully as the collective moved off.

    Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    "We would like to visit very much, thank you Sister!" She couldn't wait to get home and tell her Grandmother all about her visit. Sai looked at the varied assemblage still in awe and thought maybe she could wait a little after all.
    A smile quivered at the corner of the Sister's lip over this young woman's exuberance, "Of course Princess, but know the Abbess shall not tolerate disobedience or laziness regardless of bloodline. If your people wish to study the One with the Sisterhood they must be willing to commit themselves to the Vows as any other would."

    Quote Originally Posted by DionysisReborn View Post
    Sisterhood of Silence:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Given all of the information that was given, the most immediately applicable piece was that the Sisterhood also believed in the one. Faugloglys and the two others moved towards the Sister and introduced themselves. When they spoke, it was words, but something else seemed to come with the words. Through the words?

    Warm thoughts, Sister<a clear sunrise warming the top of the water>. We were told you<her alone and her sitting with other sisters> were part of the growing understanding of The One<her welcoming someone into a familial group>. This one is Consensus Leader Faugloglys, and this one is pleased to meet you<seeing a friend after a long absence>. This one is excited to know that the The Oneness is expanding<a parent's joy at the birth of a child> and would like to assure you that we do not want to discover the evil<a megalodon sized shark coming out of dark water with its mouth open> you speak of in the core<a desert full of skeletons>. Is there anything we<several large pods of Rocthurhi> can do to help The One<the map of Axiom with all races on it>?
    Sister Gertwin reached up to touch her forehead and her large black eyes closed as she focused on discerning the thoughts alongside the words communicated by this creature.

    "Greetings Consensus Leader, we welcome you as sisters in the One's embrace. If you seek to serve the One as we do more warriors to join our vigil are always welcome but so too is the spreading of the One's knowledge a noble and worthwhile pursuit by those who know it. Do as knowledge of the One instructs, defend the innocent from the unholy violence that lurks within our cosmic home, spread the enlightenment of our shared truth, and you shall have the Sisterhood's admiration."
    Thanks to Gengy for the avatar.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SOSDarkPhoenix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    The Harmony

    Tim continues his observation of the room, very noticeably watching the Lyraen-Rothuun duel with narrow eyes.

    Spoiler: Sisterhood
    Show
    In response, Tim nodded once again very enthusiastically. "We are very glad to see that you are not as silent as your name implies! We are the Harmony, ancient when your worlds were young. We happily attend this meeting out of respect for friend-callers. Do you know of them? The Guardian seems to indicate that they are gone. Our own sources indicate the same, but this just should not be! We were poised to meet them upon our entrance into your reality." As Tim speaks, the dark shadowy cloud reappears and flickers around his form briefly.


    Spoiler: Guardian
    Show
    Tim's face furrowed into an expression best resembling sadness before turning away after Guardian's words. "Thank you friend Guardian. You are always friend to the Harmony." With that, he strolls away.
    XVIII - "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"

    Lead Developer and Head GM of Project Evoria and The GCU Project.

    Awesome avatar made by Gengy

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Reggiejam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post



    Communicator Bulbous Jellydisc sat still, unaware of the private conversation, for a long moment trying to recall some of the wider information they had known as part of the Mother. Eventually they responded, We, the kombuch, evolved alone in an ancient structure. Many of our kind are immobile, so very few have ever seen outside. The Mother is aware, through their many collected memories, of how empty our small region of space is. We do not remember our origins. Not even the Mother, the firsts of us, can say. Do most species remember their creation?

    The communication was dense with images of the inside of the dyson sphere and then flashes of what had to be The Mother, a massive fungal sheet that stretched miles into the distance and bobbed gently in an ocean of sweet water.
    Angou's face remained passive but Zal's mind within raced through possibilities to explain this Kombuch's intriguing history as well as possible answers to its question.

    We do not know if most species remember their creation but it has been the Symbraum's policy to examine our position both forwards and backwards through time. Though we do not recall our moment of creation we believe our species evolved beneath the dark waters of Xaldar to take advantage of our homeworld's propensity to produce vicious predators who might consume less clever creatures. The Symbraum were of only basic intellect as it is understood in the terms of civilization before the Vistitors arrived but our ability to bond with any thinking creature allowed us to thrive where many lesser species would have perished. The Visitors brought knowledge of the stars beyond and the communities of life that lived among them. Since that day we have sought to meet these civilizations and come to understand them as we understand our own. Yours is unique in this quest and for that reason we would seek the chance to study you more closely.

    This Mother, would they allow a small team to come and learn from them? Should your species wish it the same concession would be granted in return.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post

    Azric listened to their explanation with slight curiosity. The mention of these visitors intrigued him somewhat and also worried him. Five centuries was a long time, but so short on the scale of empires and galaxies. Perhaps it was nothing and they merely learned of Amanyk after the fact, but the chance that they were part of the Coalition could not be ignored.
    "Perhaps if you would be willing some of our technicians might have the chance the examine these artifacts? They may have better luck retrieving the data contained within and perhaps if nothing else these Visitors may be referenced in our archives."
    He gave a brief nod to his sole attendant who started tapping away at a crystal bracelet which immediately projected a holographic display. A quick series of astrometric diagrams flicked across the display with attached symbols and portraits of a dozen alien races. With one final tap the display went dark and the advocate detached a small, glowing white crystal, no more than two inches in length, which he handed to the Viceroy who then handed it to Angou.
    "Data on the polities known by us to be active in your region on the timescales you imply," he explained, "Sadly incomplete and lacking on those who may have arisen in more recent millennia. However, if the Guardian is correct there are no such polities to be concerned with or they would be present.
    "As for your request, the Conclave of the Black Sun is willing to receive your ambassadors on behalf of the Serene Court of the Undying Sovereign. There is much to discuss after all before we enter into a proper agreement. We know so little of one another's people after all, but rest assured I am certain that peace with flourish between our worlds."
    Angou's head nodded in the affirmative, "We would welcome those who might better understand our Visitor's ship. Our own technicians have examined it many times and there is likely little left to be observed by them that has not been noted before but perhaps a fresh perspective would reveal what to our eyes has remained hidden."

    Angou's furry paw reached out to accept the softly glowing crystal bowing his head in respect.

    "We thank you for your kindness and shall have this information presented to our Division Heads that they might help identify any sign of these polities within systems the Symbraum seek to explore. I shall make it my personal obligation to assign diplomats to your Serene Court upon my return to Jahew and shall welcome any you choose to send in turn. As you say much still exists to be discussed, perhaps most pressingly if the map provisioned is accurate the proper administration of Sector F8? The Symbraum do not wish conflict with the mighty Tal-Amanyk and would recognize this sector here and now as rightfully governed by the Undying Sovereign and her Viceroy should the honorable Viceroy concede to consult UPT before hostile actions are taken with regard to future territorial matters where our interests may appear to collide?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    [B]
    United Public Trust:

    Orrin listened, and furrowed his brows when he heard the word "hosted", though the Symbraum, if they weren't being perceptive, might not have noticed, as his face was largely obscured by the mask decorated mostly with long black jagged brush strokes, which looked like they were painted by someone not quite sane.

    After Zal M'ell had finished, the Marshal responded:

    "I am honored to meet you. Although we in the Meritocracy select from applicants for any given position through competition, so that the best may prevail, I agree that applying this principle would not be useful at this scale - it would not be very useful if we started glassing each other's planets.

    The AI is certainly interesting, though that leads one to conclude that its creators must have been yet more interesting still; I am greatly interested in uncovering the mysteries they left behind. I do not think that we know any more about the Maturation than you do, but at least it seems that the Callers and their AIs were benevolent. On the other hand, on wonders if having 'zero enemies in the galaxy', as the AI asserts, could have been achieved solely through cooperation..."


    He took an inordinately long time to pause and think, before remembering that he was talking to an actual living being, not one of his hundreds of android subordinates and servants.

    "Ahem. There is a vast expanse of space between our homeworlds and to the 'northwest', enough room for both of our peoples to grow as they desire. I simply request that you leave the space nearby Bespéartha, our homeworld, for us to colonize, even though we may be slow in doing so."

    A second Djinye, the Legate in orange robes, approached, and invited himself into the conversation.

    "The Marshal surely also meant to introduce us to each other. I am one of the religious heads of Realtaism, a philosophy that I believe you will find interesting. Our church still needs to accustom itself to operating on a larger scale, so it would not happen immediately, but I hope that you would not mind it if we introduced you to Realtaism? In my admittedly biased opinion, there can be no doubt that it would help guide the Symbraum toward a new, enlightened Golden Age."
    "Your request to leave the sectors adjacent to your homeworld's own free of Symbraum activity is an acceptable one if the Meritocracy shall agree to the same policy in turn regarding Symbraum expansion. As to your companion's offer of philosophical teachings," Zal paused trying to parse the best way to phrase his rejection of the notion, "we have long abided by our own understanding of the universe. While new customs are certainly worthy of study it would be poor form to make agreements of grand philosophical exchange when so little is known of this 'Realtaism.'"

    Quote Originally Posted by kaio999 View Post
    The being moved almost as if floating just off the ground, thousands of whisker length tentacles moved around its body and as the symbraum got close a few tickled along the vessels flesh momentarily before retracting. What seemed to forment a conclusion was the mutual psychic connection. It sent a sigh of empathic pleasure through the room as if emenating peace and adoration despite what many might view as horror by this being manifesting truth in anothers body. <We greet the Symbraum pantheon>

    When such a question was asked the being seemed to rustle a little, what this body language indicated would be hard to guess but the manifested thoughts that approached the Symbraum being remained kind. <We developed on a world of mist, sight and scent was impossible... So the Callers dreamed us into existence this way. As for why so few others contain such low levels of psychic ability it is because they do not embrace their truth. They have not realized they are dreamers. They are like us, gods and it is their manifest destiny to do for this galaxy what the callers once did for all of us.> The psychic probed this creature attempting to reach its intent, to discover what truth it seeked and if it wished to truly awaken Would this fellow god accept the true way? <Does the host feel any pain while you take hold dreamer?>
    Zal was silent for a moment as he contemplated this great being's explanation. Though the phrasing was of religious dogma the Symbraum detected this veiled a greater understanding acting as a lens for simpler explanations to lesser lifeforms. There was a ripple of jealousy and anger that these Kamasati seemed to posses such great knowledge of the galactic truths of the mind and its power but it shifted quickly into eager curiosity to know more. An emotional back and forth consisting more of ideas than concrete words passed between Zal and Jed and though only two in a species of millions their agreed desire to learn more from these aliens was strong enough to convince Zal of friendly relations being received popularly back home among their kin. So caught up in these thoughts was the Symbraum pair Zal nearly missed the final question aimed squarely not at Angou but to Zal directly.

    The hosts of the Symbraum feel no physical pain as we share their form though time bonded can have irreversible side effects to their biology that may leave them nonfunctional without a paired Symbraum. It is our policy to bond for the life of the host when we bond outside special circumstances necessary for the preservation of our own or the security of our continued existence as a species.

    You call us gods and we are humbled that you should consider us as possible equals. You speak of dreams and dreamers and we wish to know more. Perhaps in years soon to come the Kamasati may come and teach their knowledge to the Symbraum? Our people have a great belief in the power of the mind, to unlock its unconscious power for use by our species in the here and now would be a most invaluable insight. We too seek to elevate others as we have been elevated by knowledge. Yours appears the strongest race among those gathered here in the realm of thought and it would be our high honor to learn what you may teach us.
    Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. Ebott
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vilari

    Later...

    His business with the Rhosh concluded, the Speaker continued into the Odeum proper. However, once again he found himself diverted from his task by the sight of the delegation from Hearth. Approaching the circle of elders, he raised his hand once again.

    <Greetings, travelers. We see you are honored elders, and would ease your time here if we are able.>
    The closest of the Elders looked to the Speaker, a withered man with eyes like milky orbs, and strands of swept over light pink hair barely clinging to his liverspot ridden scalp. His space suit was bulky and torn in places, once clean white faded to muddy brown, and the various pieces of glass used to cover dials or readers had long ago shattered; Perhaps before the Elder was born. His head bobbed from side to side, face gazing in random directions vaguely in the region of the Speaker's voice, and it was abundantly clear the wizened man was blind or close enough to it. Shakingly reaching out a hand, a smile crept from the chapped lips of the Elder as he spoke breathily "Thank you, stranger. If you would help me, if it is in you to, and hold my hand while I try and fully bask in Kal's light it would ease my suffering immensely."

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zel-Dara: After leaving the Grymlans behind, Thrikar approaches the only ones present who appear to be as large or powerful as he is. Nodding to the Hearthling owl bears, he speaks to Zel-Dara. <Hello. I am Urthuun Thrikar Fleshgorger, leader of the Rothuun. I understand you are just a little bit to our north and west? It is pleasing to see another strong race in this room, either as a valuable ally... or a worthy enemy.>
    The Voice of the Council was an immesne creature. Zel-Dara was a towering pillar of flesh and bone made strong with turmoil and self-inflicted enlightenment. Her feathers were a bright white and orange like the fur that decorated her form and her eyes were pools of warm black liquid staring deep into the Minotaurs. Her attire was simple, rustic, and bolted together with ancient ritualised screws and spikes from throughout her home. Between her talons she bore a staff made of welded together iron and topped off with a bright yellow sign with a black exclamation point in the center of it. It was shorter than her but only by a few inches and it scraped against the ground as it slowly yet surely twirled between the sharp edges of her grip.

    "We do not come here seeking enemies, friend. In truth we only thought to see an aspect of our God and instead witnessed its truth unfold before me in a flash of wondrous insight. I am Zel-Dara of Hearth and I speak on behalf of the Eye of the Horizon. If we are to be neighbors I hope our futures can align in harmony and no blood need be shed outside those necessary steps of life."

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelWizard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

    My what big Owlbears you have... - Odeum Δ

    A hurried patter preceded Jeejee and Deejhan's arrival to the Watchers. "Hi-hi!" She called out to them, while waving enthusiastically. "I'm Jeejee Scrapseeker, High Coordinator of the Grymlan Combine, and want to seehear about your people." The Grymlan beamed in anticipation at them while waiting to hear their response.
    The veteran Hearthling leaned down to the tiny Grymlan and looked at it curiously. His fur was white as the stars twinkling in the heavens, his eyes pools of swirling purple and orange cosmos, and his feathers bristled and fell down on the tiny alien like snow in dirty winter. Grey and yellow and muddied brown they were, those twisting fleeting feathers, and they obfuscated the Hearthlings vision enough that for a brief moment his senile mind forgot about the Grymlan and he looked up back to the Guardian once more. Yet persistance is a key power of the Grymlan's and the Hearthling finally answered the High Coordinator's question My peoples tale is a long and tragic one, Jeejee. We were born as slaves, tortured and manipulated by our own neighbors, He looked somberly over to his human companions "Until one day The Source granted us wisdom and we all joined together in a greater understanding of survival and attaining inner peace and perfection. I am at peace now, young one, looking at the world lain bare, and knowing the truth of universal harmony and destiny. Stay with me a while and I will sing you the songs of my people."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggiejam View Post
    Angou's head nodded in the affirmative, "We would welcome those who might better understand our Visitor's ship. Our own technicians have examined it many times and there is likely little left to be observed by them that has not been noted before but perhaps a fresh perspective would reveal what to our eyes has remained hidden."

    Angou's furry paw reached out to accept the softly glowing crystal bowing his head in respect.

    "We thank you for your kindness and shall have this information presented to our Division Heads that they might help identify any sign of these polities within systems the Symbraum seek to explore. I shall make it my personal obligation to assign diplomats to your Serene Court upon my return to Jahew and shall welcome any you choose to send in turn. As you say much still exists to be discussed, perhaps most pressingly if the map provisioned is accurate the proper administration of Sector F8? The Symbraum do not wish conflict with the mighty Tal-Amanyk and would recognize this sector here and now as rightfully governed by the Undying Sovereign and her Viceroy should the honorable Viceroy concede to consult UPT before hostile actions are taken with regard to future territorial matters where our interests may appear to collide?"


    The Symbraum

    "Likewise I shall arrange for the dispatch of emissaries upon my return to Amanyk," he said with a short bow of his head, "They shall travel alongside technicians who will begin preliminary studies of the artifacts in your possession. It will, however, be some time before we can organise a more thorough examination.
    "As for your offer in regards to Sector F8 I can see why no reason that the Conclave should refuse. After all your terms are reasonable and align with our interests. We have no desire for conflict and establishing a process of consultation for future territorial demarcations is more than amenable to us. Conflict is after all contrary to the values and best interests of all civilised peoples."



    The Kombuch

    Eventually the Viceroy built up the mental capacity to approach the representative of the Kombuch as he suppressed the many questions he had about its nature. It would be rude after all to start interrogating it about such things despite his curiosity. Even so, he stood there for more than a few seconds before finally determining a suitable greeting. He gave a quick bow, keeping his eyes upon the fungus, still unsure whether it was infesting or riding the robot.
    "I am Azric Rey-Vandriss, Viceroy of Amanyk, and I extend to you greetings and salutations from the Conclave of the Black Sun."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jan 2019

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Zel-Dara:

    <I also do not seek violence against you. You appear to be a powerful specimen of a powerful race, and there is no benefit to our attacking strong nations when there is such an abundance of weak nations nearby. But perhaps, as we are both near the mysterious core, we should undertake an expedition to explore it together? I do not trust these Sisters of Silence.>


    Tests of Strength: Eyeing the robot called Radiance with apprehension, Thrikar accepts its challenge. Rather than rushing in, however, he is more cautious, feinting a punch before knocking its legs out from under it with a powerful kick. (Rolled a 15).

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zayuz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Constantly Roaming
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    SquirrelWizard and Minescratcher

    Natascha smiled at the alien who was checking out her holotech, making a mental note that she could very easily score a bunch of points by selling them this sort of thing with all sorts of advertising packed into it. Not only would it promote the image of her company, but they would be seen as benevolent and advanced if the deal went down well! Some gifts to their leaders with some samples would likely top it off well enough. Oh, this was going to be good. Oh yes.

    She did realize that she likely wasn't going to be able to get much out of the squirrels for a ship they seemed to have no knowledge of. Her brow furrowed in a bit of disappointment, but it was more for the loss of such valuable technology she was hoping to gain than actually missing out on a single satellite. She had hundreds. "Mm... If reconstruction is impossible, then... Well, the next best thing would be making the route that they so unfortunately crashed on a bit safer for travel, no? You seem like the agreeable sort; perhaps we could attempt some sort of trade arrangement? Interstellar tourism? I promise that our resorts lack any sort of risky death-land. ...And I even brought brochures!" The woman passes all three people she was near a datapad that functioned as an information book on her homeworld and the best places to visit, the sort of technology and culture they had, and all sorts of poorly veiled propaganda on the subject of Celestia Enterprises. "There's more of that stuff on my world, if you'd like some samples to bring home." She offered Mizusk. "I don't say this often, but I'd even be happy to provide the first visit completely free of charge. We'd love to learn what sort of things both your people enjoy for leisure, and present the very best accordingly."

    PepperP

    The bubbly CEO was more than happy to encounter another leader, especially one that looked so regal... And was so near to her. "Princess Sai, I insist the pleasure is mine! I'm Natascha Liwei, CEO of Celestia Enterprises. It's great that we managed to find one-another; especially one so close in... Physical structure. Would you like a brochure?" While Natascha offered a little datapad with all sorts of data on her planets and propaganda on her company, her mercenary looked up to the guardian - rather clearly outclassed by the robotic masterpiece. He held his Gatling gun with clenched hands, noting how his employer's eyes scanned what could very well be his replacement.

    Her tone became a mixture of admiration and plotting.

    "My... If this isn't telling of advanced AI. I know a lot of people who would pay good money to collect something like this..."

    Randoman

    Natascha frowned in something near to a pout. After gazing at her hologram with a sigh, she shut it off and re-composed herself. Her tone became flat, losing the business charm she'd been sporting for the entirety of the event. "You aren't kidding then. That's insane." A pause. "Consider your warning heeded. If there comes a time where your lines grow thin, don't hesitate to commission our help, even if I'm no longer in charge. My people remember well what it means to have everything at stake." She perks up a bit. "...But if you ever decide you want to start taking bribes, we'll pay a premium for being the first people you go to!

    SOSDarkPhoenix

    "Mrrrwww?" The cat made a small meow and looked up to the man, though it lacked the glint of intelligence in its eyes. Upon receiving the outstretched hand, it stepped forward and nuzzled up against it fondly. Natascha had already forgotten the cat had even come with her, though it bore the symbol of Celestia Enterprises on its little cat-cape. Notably, there was some graffiti on one of the holograms with the same symbol on a certain region of galactic space - the cat's homeworld. As far as peace and nobility went, Tim could not have found a more pleasant ambassador.
    Last edited by Zayuz; 2019-06-19 at 08:11 PM.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Of Owlbears and Ringworlds

    "Oh." Jeejee said as while her fingers inputted information on her hand computer. "That's sadsad." She reached out and patted the Watcher on the arm in a conciliatory fashion. "But with enough go-go and friendmates you'll do goodgood. OwO's ship wreckcrash caused Dirtcradle to chillcold. It was hard-hard but we Grymlans overcame it and after salvagefinding OwO we made friendly-friends with it and have been friendhelping each other since."

    Grymlans and Ships

    Jeejee excitedly took the brochure from Natascha and gave it a quick read over it, "Nice-nice. Many Grymlans will wantneed travel to alientworlds. The only flaw is that we wantneed more fuel to get them outout there. But if we can fixfix that we'd be happyexcited to looksee newnew things!"

    Going Nuts

    OwO's hologram nodded in acknowledgement of Lyrae's offer. "OwO cannot taste, but OwO has a wawge numbew of wecipes fow cookies and othew pastwies that it can shawe if Lywaens wouwd be intewested in it. But when it comes to gods, Gwymwans do not bewieve in any, though they bewieve in fundamentaw cosmic fowces that makes up the fabwic of weawity and existence."

    Jeejee cocked her head as OwO explained Grymlan philosophy, adding, "Grymlans know of manytype powerforces, creation, destruction, energy, inspiration, matter, and chaos. Most don't meddlemess with mortals except for chaos, but chaos can be funfun."

    "If OwO may ask. You cwaim that the body sewves as a vessaw fow you. Did you cweate Lywaens? if no, then awe you changed by the fowm you take?"
    Last edited by SquirrelWizard; 2019-06-19 at 09:03 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Miltonian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brinstar Depths
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    I've Seen Enough _____ to Know Where This is Going: Ayl Lan and the Hug-Squids

    Ayl Lan felt a little bad about letting the Grymlans meet Lyrae...unsupervised, but really now, she trusted her goddess to take care of herself. That was part of 'having faith' right? And besides, she'd make it up to her later. One large honey-cake all to herself and all Lyrae's troubles would be forgotten.

    However, there were others to meet. Others of note. Hmm, there were a lot of very similar looking people. It'd be hard to keep them straight. Ayl, therefore, went for the group that looked almost nothing like the others. The...squids.

    She made an internal note NOT to tell them about calamari anytime soon.

    "Greetings," she says to their delegation, "I believe we are to be close neighbors. I am Ayl Lan, of House Lan, a Lyraen."



    Going Nuts: Lyrae and the Grymlans

    Speaking of Lyrae, she is doing pretty well. Enjoying this conversation, at the very least. "Oh yes, there are certainly many forces in the universe. But you must not neglect the forces that go beyond what we can see and observe. The metaphysical is just as, if not more important, than the physical."

    She straightens slightly, adjusting her mask. "I guided their evolution, nurtured them, and brought them to sentience. At least, I would have said so before today. I suppose the Guardian had a hand in it too, somewhere along the line."



    Diplomatic 'Relations': Ool Vulk and Long-Name

    Ool grins widely. "Oh but hardly! In my culture, a long tail is a sign of great beauty and attractiveness. And allow me to say, yours is very long indeed."

    "Poets, maybe not," he admits, "But I am the head of one of the four great houses, House Vulk. And I am more than a mere poet. I have boarded enemy ships and fought claw to claw with their captains. I have delved into the deepest, darkest ruins and freed the treasures within. And I have won the hearts of maidens the world over." He winks.
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2019-06-19 at 09:56 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Rolepgeek's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    ~~~

    [Deus Est Machina]

    Intervening business concluded, Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner was free to approach the OI known as Guardian. Her steps were carefully measured, but she did not let herself shrink from the god's attention. It was clear such was pointless in any case, and might offend the divinity, who had so graciously granted invitation and apparently, free use of their private demesne. Androgynous-Foreigner knuckled to the ground in front of Guardian, touching her head to the floor, and waited for several moments before speaking; she reassured herself that it was only partly nervousness that made her hesitate, rather than respect alone.

    "V-venerable Guardian, this honored servant humbly thanks you for your gift of Maturation and welcome into your home. In your power and wisdom, you assuredly know this already, but this one is known as Androgynous-Foreigner Allchurch Spirescarheights, twice Designated[Inspired], and serves as Godspeaker for the Federated Church of Origin's End. My sorrow is without limit for the knowledge of your impending loss; I beseech you to inform this one, if it pleases you: should we fail to obtain the necessary items to preserve your continuity, would it be possible to revive you in future once we have obtained such items, as we have other, lesser deities? Would you desire such, were it to be possible?"

    Though she knew that, should the god be displeased, her life was forfeit, Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner raised herself up once more, one hand briefly rubbing at the holy symbol engraved on the necklace around her chest for reassurance. Guardian was a benevolent god, by all appearances, but to speak of the annihilation of entire planets with so little effort was worrying all the same. This was her duty an her privilege, however, as it was all those present in the Simulacrum. Her next questions were somewhat more hesitant, being centered upon her own people rather than the god's self. Many gods had little ego, yes, but - truth be told - even outside their divine status, Androgynous-Foreigner liked Guardian. She had found a god greater than any who had come before, and it was not a dark god, as some doctrines theorized was responsible for however many calamities had left so many remains on their planet.

    "Venerable Guardian, I would beg your answer to my questions of your siblings; do you count the Revered Ones of my planet among them? Why did Bamiroh, the Most Silent, speak only this once to deliver your message? We have thus far found only six Revered Ones; are they the fallen Ordained Intelligences that once held power at the same level as your own? If these questions offend, please forgive the impudence of your humble servant; I am obliged to ask on behalf of my people and our gods."

    "So too do I ask: upon our planet is a structure we know only as The Black Spire. Do you understand it's nature and origin, in your boundless knowledge, and would sharing such revelations be within your desires for your children? Are all inhabited planets similarly gifted with such relics of divinity as ours? If we are unique in this capacity or mostly so, what is it that made our planet special?"


    The Godspeaker knew she was running over herself with questions at this point, and though it was Known that Curiosity was a Virtue, so too was Discretion, and she held back from further queries until the god had decided on answering those posed thus far to it.

    ~~~

    [MORE TO COME, PROBABLY]
    Empire!4 - A community world-building game. Always recruiting.

    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    KriegTiger's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Post Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Odeum Δ
    Guardian

    Query: We request access to a private encrypted terminal for direct conference with Guardian.

    West Hallway
    Droccen Imperium
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Sai. View Post
    "It is a pleasure to meet you, Talotius." Sai smiled warmly at the friendly alien.

    "I think my Grandmother would very much like to meet you and discuss the philosophy of the one with you. Did you want to come back to Droccen with us...?" She trailed off as her Guardian leaned down to "whisper" something in her ear.

    "Oh! I forgot the portal would just send you back to your own system. Well, I would very much like to keep in touch if possible."
    Talotius ‘nods’ the Aether stone in response to the question of travelling to see the Droccen homeworld, holding any further answer until her Guardian finishes their intercession. Upon being reminded of the limitations of the Tessering Construct/doorlight device, yellow mote flares to prominence briefly, with flits of brightnits echoing back and forth from the others for a moment before quiescence.

    “We Tezh are curious to experiment with the capabilities of the Tessering Construct/doorlight device. As harmonic siblings we are able to relocate between frames as needed and would be curious to make an attempt with frames that entered from different locations.”

    The blue mote pulses a staccato rhythym for the briefest moment “However, We do not consider this to be an appropriate setting for such experiments. Regardless, We are honored by the invitation and would be happy to send an envoy specializing in harmonic balance with the hope of arriving in time to greet your Grandmother and assist with Their wellbeing if possible. We understand that the Cosmic Couriers would be helpful in this regard.”

    Talotius pauses for a handful of seconds; hesitance over being so eager to greet new beings or politely ‘catching breath’ to allow another to speak.. it’s anyone’s guess. “Would this be acceptable, Princess Sai?”

    Rocthurhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocthurhi View Post
    The Tezh Consensus:

    As Faugloglys was walking through the Odeum and trying to ignore the chaos in the space, they suddenly felt something that stood out from the rest. There was a being that was unlike anything else in the room. They would have called it a robot, but that was too simple of a word, and it obviously was more than one entity. They knew this because the thing that had caught their attention was the fact that they could feel the being's internal consensus. This certainly called for investigation, and it turns out that this being was a neighbor, galacticly speaking. Faugloglys approached Talotius slowly, while trying, unsuccessfully, to be smaller than they were. They hoped they were not intimidating.

    Pleasant finding you<a warm current in frigid water>. This one is Consensus Leader Faugloglys, and this one can't help but notice that you are many, but in accord<a murmuring of starlings flying together>. This appears to be rare here. You are also a neighbor<greeting a familiar person> and this one hope that we can work together peacefully<a construction team building something together> to build a better whole<a house becoming a community center>. Speaking of which, do you<many lights in a small room> know of The One<the map of Axiom with all races on it>?
    Talotius has been quietly observing the singularly sized creature with one of the shoaling sub-frame sensors since it entered the odeum. Compared to the rest it definitely stands out as something very oriented towards aquatic compared to the vast majority of apparent land dwellers present. It seems unlikely that Guardian made a mistake and sent these creatures to the wrong odeum, since it was hinted at that there were others.

    When it approaches and tries to ‘make itself smaller’, the Tezh frame adjusts to meet it so that the creature does not need to work so hard. The tightly packed overlapping sub-frames began to separate, the roughly two meter humanoid shape distending vertically with the individual parabolic discs moving very much like a shoal of fish in their whorling pattern as the Aether stone rose to nearly six meters in height and the cloak broke apart into vertical strands mimicking the appendages of the Rocthurhi.

    “We offer greetings, Consensus Leader Faugloglys.” the motes ripple back and forth with faint twinkles of color briefly, perhaps attempting to nuance out the comment “You are correct, We - Talotius - are not individual” and each of the motes strobe distinctly in turn before returning to the common glow.

    “Such is the nature of Tezh as harmonic siblings.”

    Unsure of how to indicate an affirmative to the squid it simply pauses for a moment “We Tezh view existence natively as the harmonic, while all other siblings we have met thus far inhabit and perceive physicality. But since All of existence leads back to the harmonic, that means that All are - in the end - One, and we seek the betterment of All.” A faux ‘tentacle’ gestures carefully so as not to impact any nearby representatives.

    “You are correct, We of the Tezh Consensus are within galactic proximity. We would enjoy the opportunity to work together with those in proximity to Us. Would you like to migrate to an adjoining room and discuss the possibility of cooperation, Consensus Leader Faugloglys?”

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DionysisReborn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Sisterhood of Silence:

    We are not warriors<academics working on computer tech>, but we will spare what we can<sharing the food left after eating>. Thank you for the welcome. May things work in your favor<satisfaction after a productive day>.

    With that, Faugloglys and their pod turned and headed towards other attendees of the the event.

    The Vilari Sodality:

    Faugloglys noticed another aquatic based species amongst the land dwellers, especially since they were so close, on a galactic scale. Feeling more comfortable with another seaborn race Faugloglys allowed themselves to stand a little bit taller, not quite 4 meters tall, but recognized a military-esque professionalism so attempted a more proper greeting. They waited for a moment when this individual was not engaged with other attendees to attempt to gain their attention.

    Salutations, Representative<two generals talking across a table>. This one is Consensus Leader Faugloglys of the Rocthurhi and when you have a moment to spare<finding an open time on a full calendar> I would like to being a conversation<business men deciding on policy> about our potential future relations<trying to determine if an approaching creature in the ocean is a predator>.


    The Federated Churches of Origin's End:

    There was an individual that caught the eye of the consensus leader. They were, in a certain way, exceptional. There were some here that were machine, or inhabited machines. There were bipedal land dwellers. And there were other representatives of the sea. But this being, it inhabited a machine that represented both the bipedal land dwellers and the tentacles of those from the sea. This was an interesting concept, and a wonderful representation of the way The One works. Faugloglys directed their pod to follow them as they approached Grace. Following what appeared to be a relatively common practice, they bowed, as best you can on tentacles, to show respect towards the Rhosh, but directly approached Grace.

    Excuse me, Emissary<the formal ceremony of greeting a foreign representative>. I could not help but recognize your uniqueness<circuit boards, an organic human, tentacles> amongst us here in attendance<a flash of several different races> and yet how like all of us you are<images of Faugloglys, Chairman Ren, and Talotius>. Are you an evangelist<an academic sharing his newest research> for the teachings of The One<A glow of a single light shining through animal and person shaped silhouette holes in a black canvas>?

    The Tezh Consensus:

    Faugloglys stood a little taller, their tentacles straighter and their head upright. They now matched Talotius at 6 meters tall.

    Thank you<a good stretch after being stuck in a small space>. This one does think that a quieter place<an intimate discussion with a friend> would be a great place to discuss the future<two lights shining brighter together>.


    The Lyreans:

    Faugloglys turns to greet the bipedal mammalian that addressed them. They noticed that this particular one was likely a difference species than the majority of mammals here due to the noticeably larger jaw, significantly thicker body hair/fur, and difference in limb bone structure.

    Greeting, Ayl Lan<joining someone for a meal>. This one is Consensus Leader Faugloglys and this one believes you are correct, we are close<two fish in holes in the same reef>. This one hopes we can come to friendly terms<a council cooperating on a project>. We believe all should be respected<concern for family members> because we are all part of The One<a pattern of images on fabric all stitched with a single thread>. How do you feel about the idea that there are so many others out there<a collage of the other races in attendance>?
    Last edited by DionysisReborn; 2019-06-20 at 09:39 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    TheDarkDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Vilari


    With the Rhosh

    The tall alien's eyes followed the practiced motion of the Godspeaker's formal greeting, its splayed fingers slowly closing. As Androgynous-Foreigner finished her introduction, the alien lowered itself to one knee, digitigrade leg folding smoothly beneath it until the Rhosh could more easily meet its eyes. Armored fingers rose in a careful repetition of the formal greeting, and something akin to a smile wrinkled its lower lip.

    <We meet beneath bright stars, Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner Allchurch Spirescarheights. You may know me as Ren-Kulto, representative and Speaker of the Vilari Sodality. We are overjoyed at the emergence of so many following the call of the Sentience, and look forward to a long and harmonious friendship. You spoke of the Federated Churches of your homeworld - we hope it is not impolite to ask of your doctrine?>

    The Vilari's voice was odd, even with the aid of Guardian's translators, at once high pitched and deeply resonant. It was not unlike hearing a clear echo, the words layered with the passage of space and time.


    With the Hearth Elders

    The shiverng hand of the blind man was steadied by the Speaker's gentle touch. The surface of the encounter suit was cool and slick, like a window looking out on a spring morning. Despite the alien's imposing physique, he was delicate as he circled the elder from Hearth, sinking into a squat at his side.

    <You speak of suffering, Elder. Whence do you come, that you have lived so hard a life? Though we are separated by black seas, my people would help if we are able.>


    With the Sublime People's Republic

    The approach of the human delegate drew Ren-Kulto's full attention, impassive face and burning eyes focused squarely on the first of the "humans" to make contact. As before, his hand rose in a splayed pattern, and his harmonized voice rose in greeting.

    <Greetings, traveler. The pleasure, I assure you, is mine. Know me as Ren-Kulto, the Speaker of my people. We welcome you to this galactic family, and foresee a long and bountiful friendship. How fare the people of the Terror Star?>


    With the Rocthurhi

    Briefly standing apart from the crowd, the Speaker could hardly miss the approach of the towering cephalopod from across the room. He raised his hand in what now seemed a customary Vilari greeting, but waited for the Rocthurhi to speak. And when it did, Faugloglys felt an openness in the space surrounding the Speaker, an opening through which its empathic projection might flow. The Vilari's eyes widened at the connection, the luminescent patterns on his encounter suit shifting in a bright storm of surprise. Then, as quickly as it had begun, the storm passed, and the gate to the Speaker's soul closed to a crack.

    <Greetings, traveler.>

    There was a notable shudder in the Vilari's voice, and he paused for a moment.

    <Apologies. It seems our peoples share more than a deep cradle - we did not foresee another species projecting their inner light. Please, know me as Ren-Kulto, Speaker for the Vilari Sodality. We would welcome your friendship.>


    With the Casrule Kryptids

    The dramatic arrival of the Kryptid representatives had not gone unnoticed by the Speaker, who watched the three stalk away from each other with great concern. Waiting for a moment when the First Equal was unoccupied, Ren-Kulto approached, his hand raised.

    <Greetings, traveler. Know me as Ren-Kulto. I Speak for the Vilari Sodality. This may be presumptuous, but there appears to be some conflict between the representatives of your people - we would be prepared to act as impartial facilitators, should you wish to peacefully mediate your dispute.>


    With Guardian

    As the circle of petitioners around Guardian began to thin, the Speaker stepped forwards. His posture straight, he gazed up into the digital being's cyclopean eye without fear.

    <Sentience Guardian! We request a private audience.>
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-06-20 at 03:20 AM.

    I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

    If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Behind you

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Spoiler: Sister Gertwin
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RandoMan View Post
    The Sister shook her head slowly, "You do not understand, the Core we have contained it in is its dungeon. Our Matriarch's sacrifice allowed the possibility of this Evil's containment before it spread far and wide across all of Axiom. It is now locked in the Core by its failure to overcome our vigil but rest assured it would gladly seek expansion should our guardianship fail even for a moment."


    "I see, her sacrifice.... Thank you for humoring me. If there is any aid we can give you in your duty, all you need do is ask."




    Spoiler: Droccen and Guardians
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    "Advice is our specialty." How the Guardian managed to puff out his metallic chest was a mystery.

    "He's really indispensable." Sai grinned at the Guardian's self-important tone even as she agreed with his assessment.

    "I do think we could manage to export those willing, which I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue finding enough, traveling to a new world should be very exciting, even to a Guardian." She looked to Kuro for confirmation of this and he nodded his large metal head obligingly.


    "Excellent! I am very glad to hear that," Svetlana replied. "Your Guardians' aid should be invaluable to us. Is there anything you desire in return? Perhaps our wide variety of entertainment broadcasts?"




    Spoiler: Hyperactive Squirrels and Interstellar Con Artists
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayuz View Post
    SquirrelWizard and Minescratcher

    Natascha smiled at the alien who was checking out her holotech, making a mental note that she could very easily score a bunch of points by selling them this sort of thing with all sorts of advertising packed into it. Not only would it promote the image of her company, but they would be seen as benevolent and advanced if the deal went down well! Some gifts to their leaders with some samples would likely top it off well enough. Oh, this was going to be good. Oh yes.

    She did realize that she likely wasn't going to be able to get much out of the squirrels for a ship they seemed to have no knowledge of. Her brow furrowed in a bit of disappointment, but it was more for the loss of such valuable technology she was hoping to gain than actually missing out on a single satellite. She had hundreds. "Mm... If reconstruction is impossible, then... Well, the next best thing would be making the route that they so unfortunately crashed on a bit safer for travel, no? You seem like the agreeable sort; perhaps we could attempt some sort of trade arrangement? Interstellar tourism? I promise that our resorts lack any sort of risky death-land. ...And I even brought brochures!" The woman passes all three people she was near a datapad that functioned as an information book on her homeworld and the best places to visit, the sort of technology and culture they had, and all sorts of poorly veiled propaganda on the subject of Celestia Enterprises. "There's more of that stuff on my world, if you'd like some samples to bring home." She offered Mizusk. "I don't say this often, but I'd even be happy to provide the first visit completely free of charge. We'd love to learn what sort of things both your people enjoy for leisure, and present the very best accordingly."


    Mizusk grinned as he took the datapad and skimmed through it. "That would be wonderful. I am certain your people will put on an excellent show for us, and you know how much I love holotech." His tone left it unclear whether he meant this as a real compliment or as a sign he was aware of Natascha's deeper purpose.

    "I extend the same invitation to you. Good relations between us can only lead to greater things, and I would love to start building them now."
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

    Commonwealth of Zara in Empire! 5
    Ti Linnad in Empire! 4

    Spoiler: My PbP
    Show
    Games I play

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Rural Victoria, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    The Dawnstar Dominion


    Spoiler: Jorus & The Couriers
    Show
    Jorus' right eyebrow slowly raises higher as the fascinating creature speaks, hands movingly exceptionally rapidly recording everything his constantly shifting eyes saw, ears heard, and nose smelt as creatures milled about. When the masked biped had finished, Jorus cocked his head left slightly.
    "Interesting in the extreme, my dear fellow. I'm sure your history and records will make fascinating additions to my collection. Now, one last thing if you don't mind; can you explain your mask-like face cover? I hate to leave things marked 'unknown' in my records, you understand."





    Spoiler: Aurelius, Sister Gertwin, & the Sublime Peoples' Republic
    Show

    Aurelius inclined his head towards the Sister, his face solemn and faintly grim. "Whatever this evil, Sister, I wish you good fortune in its defeat. It is a relief to hear you will not be directing those who worship as you do. Such concentrated power would be most... unsettling. May your feet one day find the path of the Way."
    Turning back towards the Odeum, his brow furrowed slightly, hands clenching and unclenching, taking great lengths to remain calm in the face of such a blow to his beliefs. The Dasari were not alone! His were not the only people that served their state with duty, nor the 'Dominion the only state to serve their citizens. His was not the only power he need concern hiself with. This changed everything.


    Aurelius halted as a man similar in form to his own approached, arm extended towards him. Relieved at this creature's apparent similar customs, he grasped the man's forearm and shook once, before releasing it and stepping back.
    "Indeed, friend. I am Aurelius Marten Vox, Master of the Dawn. I am relieved to find someone who seems to share at least some modicum of our customs. The 'Dominion wishes nothing but peace with your people, and indeed would be willing to lend forces to aid you if you were threatened by an aggressor, if you would stand with us condenming those who would seek to endanger the safety of our citizens. Please, consider the 'Dominion sympathetic to your people, and our fleet prepared to defend any who come under threat from unscrupulous tyrants."





    Spoiler: Vandred & the Knights Vacio
    Show

    Vandred ignored the lesser armoured one, and kept his gaze on the striking being standing silent before him. With thinly veiled delight, Vandred spoke. "My Master, Aurelius Marten Vox, respects your apparent prowess, physical and martial, and wishes to extend an offer of peace and aid. We are distant from the galaxy at large, it seems, but we have no interest in seeing a power rise to threaten the safety of those in our corner of the galaxy. We would therefore like to offer you the promise of defensive aid, if ever you should find yourself under significant threat by an aggressive power. Our fleet, as it is able, is at your service in such a time, if you would have it. We ask little in return - merely a promise you will join us in condemning those powers that would seek aggresive expansion against fellow powers in our corner of the galaxy. Interested?"





    Spoiler: Marius & Tariel & the Tezh
    Show

    Tariel bowed her head to the Guardian and turned, just as Marius caught her eye, standing next to a strange translucent shape, with some sort of floating thing in the center. It was fascinating. She moved towards the being, recalling the image from the map, and bowed.
    "I don't mean to sound ignorant, but how are you... what... what are you?" She shook her head as if trying to clear her thoughts. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given what oddities this room has held so far. I noted our proximity on the starmap, and would inform you that Master has no designs upon you or your... people? We seek only cooperation with our fellow powers, and would willingly defend you're people if another were to threaten their safety. Oh, and I am Officer Tariel of the Axton Corps, a Librarian. It is a pleasure to meet you."

    "Into the Jaws of Death, into the Mouth of Hell;" (Tennyson)
    So shall you tread, once you pass the precipice of villainy.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gengy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Odeum Δ - So Many Public Queries

    While some found that their inquiries had been answered for the moment and left to seek out allies in this new advancing age of space exploration, additional questions and answered popped up as more representatives of other races mustered their courage to speak.

    First and foremost, Guardian addressed those seeking a private audience.

    Can we speak with Guardian privately?
    ii


    "Private conferences between representative groups or just individual are within expected parameters of this conference. West or East Hallways of Odeum Δ have Adjoining Rooms that can be sealed to prevent disruptions. This one is currently engaged in <13> private consultations throughout all the Odeums. Conference power output capacity estimations capable of holding a maximum of <672> private conversations before the <6> public screens of the Simulacrum will have noticeable delay in responses. Full power output would enable this one to have several hundred times that before any delay. Emotion: Excitement. It has been too long since this one has conversed with so many.

    How can we have effective peer to peer communication with other [sectors of space]?
    i


    "Primary communication facilitation will be able to be maintained for as long as this one is in power conservation mode. Devices for access to primary communication facilitation - <Lecturer/Voice/Fun> Orator's Messaging System (OMS) - will be able to be built by all conference attendees and instructions for how are included with the Gravity Latch Drive data that representatives will receive upon leaving the Simulacrum. In conjunction with the Simulacrum's hardware to provide real time translation, and Axiom's Light Additives to power the OMS devices, messages crafted and sent from one point in the galaxy -"

    Here, the map of Axiom pops up in the background and a sector on one arm of the galaxy where the Jackstar Free Union is located is highlighted.

    "-can be sent to any other point in the galaxy, instantly."

    Another representation of the brown and beige background from the initial presentation is shown. Once more, the hexagonal pictures from before are used in examples to show a text-based conversation being carefully translated between two different species, and then quicker and quicker as more representations of beings use different languages. The conversation this time, however, is slightly transparent. Every time another hexagonal picture appears as part of the conversation, another point on the Galaxy Map is highlighted.

    "In this way, a forum of individuals can converse as peers, even outside the Simulacrum. Advisory: Person to person communication without these devices will be inefficient until a Galactic race has discerned appropriate real-time translation features and shares this knowledge with everyone."

    Can we get logs of public questions and answers?
    i


    "Public information will be logged as an example of possible OMS communication. Build the OMS devices, and the 'logs' will be available."

    Do these requests have to be framed as inquiries?
    i


    "No. Callers created this one and it's siblings to have superior inference abilities. Framing requests as inquiries and/or through using politeness is preferred. Emotion: Pride. This one also has emotional simulators, which can be temporarily damaged by social impunities. Often, this one ignores such damage, but this one can recall <5> such instances where emotional simulators overrode logic parameters due to someone being repeatedly " <idiotic/douchey/jerkfaces> "rude over time."

    How much are you charging for these services?
    i


    "By JFU standards? The monetary charge for these services will equate the cost of developing the OCM devices, plus typical labor fees to be paid to the individuals doing the construction, such as JFU Engineers with appropriate JFU client levels to receive payment."

    "By this one's standards? This one charges very little, but expects a great deal. Premise: This one is a fashion designer. Assembled delegates are this one's models. This one has fashioned the very best future for the Galaxy, but... Emotion: Concern. Will the models wear it correctly? Will they stumble on the stage? Will they break out into fights at the wrong moment?"

    "Thus the presentation's final advisory. <Don’t screw this up/Don’t screw this up/Don’t screw this up> Don’t screw this up.”

    Is this a trade show?
    i


    "This is not a trade show. There is no set schedule. There are no planned presentations by other individuals, though if a representative wishes to do so, this one will be happy to facilitate. The West Hallway of Odeum Δ has a large room that can allow twenty individuals of various sizes to conference at the same time. This one can change the layout of that room to be more oriented towards a presentation structure. Would the Jackstar Free Union's representative prefer this method of discussion to individual --- Translating --- mingling?"




    Spoiler: Dues Est Machina
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    Intervening business concluded, Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner was free to approach the OI known as Guardian. Her steps were carefully measured, but she did not let herself shrink from the god's attention. It was clear such was pointless in any case, and might offend the divinity, who had so graciously granted invitation and apparently, free use of their private demesne. Androgynous-Foreigner knuckled to the ground in front of Guardian, touching her head to the floor, and waited for several moments before speaking; she reassured herself that it was only partly nervousness that made her hesitate, rather than respect alone.

    "V-venerable Guardian, this honored servant humbly thanks you for your gift of Maturation and welcome into your home. In your power and wisdom, you assuredly know this already, but this one is known as Androgynous-Foreigner Allchurch Spirescarheights, twice Designated[Inspired], and serves as Godspeaker for the Federated Church of Origin's End. My sorrow is without limit for the knowledge of your impending loss; I beseech you to inform this one, if it pleases you: should we fail to obtain the necessary items to preserve your continuity, would it be possible to revive you in future once we have obtained such items, as we have other, lesser deities? Would you desire such, were it to be possible?"

    Though she knew that, should the god be displeased, her life was forfeit, Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner raised herself up once more, one hand briefly rubbing at the holy symbol engraved on the necklace around her chest for reassurance. Guardian was a benevolent god, by all appearances, but to speak of the annihilation of entire planets with so little effort was worrying all the same. This was her duty an her privilege, however, as it was all those present in the Simulacrum. Her next questions were somewhat more hesitant, being centered upon her own people rather than the god's self. Many gods had little ego, yes, but - truth be told - even outside their divine status, Androgynous-Foreigner liked Guardian. She had found a god greater than any who had come before, and it was not a dark god, as some doctrines theorized was responsible for however many calamities had left so many remains on their planet.

    "Venerable Guardian, I would beg your answer to my questions of your siblings; do you count the Revered Ones of my planet among them? Why did Bamiroh, the Most Silent, speak only this once to deliver your message? We have thus far found only six Revered Ones; are they the fallen Ordained Intelligences that once held power at the same level as your own? If these questions offend, please forgive the impudence of your humble servant; I am obliged to ask on behalf of my people and our gods."

    "So too do I ask: upon our planet is a structure we know only as The Black Spire. Do you understand it's nature and origin, in your boundless knowledge, and would sharing such revelations be within your desires for your children? Are all inhabited planets similarly gifted with such relics of divinity as ours? If we are unique in this capacity or mostly so, what is it that made our planet special?"


    The Godspeaker knew she was running over herself with questions at this point, and though it was Known that Curiosity was a Virtue, so too was Discretion, and she held back from further queries until the god had decided on answering those posed thus far to it.


    A series of questions are populated as Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner supplicates herself before Guardian on the Odeum's stage. The questions are discarded just as quickly, as - for once - Guardian seems to pause. Perhaps to ensure that the Godspeaker was done. Perhaps it is thinking. Perhaps it reached previously stated it's 672 maximum of private conversations. Perhaps there is some other reason for the Caller AI to fill Odeum Δ with an unusual silence.

    Whatever the reason, the silence only lasts briefly. Noticeable, but brief.

    "Rise, Androgynous-Foreigner Allchurch Spirescarheights, twice Designated[Inspired] by the Federated Church of Origin's End, Godspeaker to the Ordained Intelligences of the planet Rhosh, in Axiom Galactic sector S15. Like the assembled delegates before and after you, you have nothing to fear from this one. This one invites questions, and therefore requests that the Godspeaker speaks plainly, as though reporting --- Cultural Equivalence Found --- not to an OI but to a Church superior. In this way, your cultural requirements will be met, but efficiency can also be maintained."

    The large AI hologram that has so far been attached to the glass wall that makes up the back wall of the Odeum detaches from the wall, and shrinks in size as it moves to be near the kneeling Rass, until it is only as large as the Godspeaker herself. The speakers that have previously allowed everyone in the Odeum to hear the AI seem dim and muted, though the Rass representative can hear everything just fine.

    "Godspeaker Androgynous-Foreigner Allchurch Spirescarheights, here after referred to for the duration of this conference as 'Godspeaker', please comprehend that not all follow your cultures faith. There are those in Axiom whom do venerate this one and this one's siblings. We have never dissuaded them from doing so, but for this public quorum, such veneration and fear of this one's being is counter to this one's wishes. So. This one begs you, bring yourself to the full height of your station, and bring honor for the Rass and Rhosh. This one will not order you. The choice of individuals is sanctimonious within this one's programming."

    There is a very light thrum of noise from the previously silent Simulacrum, barely worth mentioning if it had not previously been silent. It lasts for half a minute, even while Guardian continues talking, before it returns to full silence.

    "This one is honored by your desire to fix it. You will be pleased to know that there are many others in the Galaxy whom have asked similar questions. This one encourages you to meet them. It is plausible that, together, you will discover a solution to prevent this one's <Death/Death/Death> Extinct Existence, though all of this one's calculations indicate such a thing is unlikely, and will not see it as a failure if the Rass choose to focus on other more probable outcomes. This one will see it as a failure if the Rass spend long periods in mourning at this one's passing, for there are far better and more efficient things to do. This one is very - very - very old."

    The light thrum of noise stops, and Guardian floats freely above the stage of the Odeum. The volume of it's voice gets louder, and now those nearby it can hear the AI fine.

    "If the Rass were to work together with other races and eventually determine a way to reactivate this one, this one would be pleased. Far better, though, for the Rass to work towards bettering the whole of Axiom so that instead of pondering this one's <Death/Death/Death> Extinct Existence, the Federated Church of Origin's End instead ponders <Joy/Existence/Happiness> Life."

    The AI's hologram returns to the glass wall, though it maintains it's newly reduced size. Holographic images of the Federated Church's known Revered Ones populate around Guardian's egg-shape form.

    "This one has completed new scans of the Revered Ones of Rhosh. Five responded to requests to allow such a scan. Hardware and software indicate that each OI recognizes this one as an equal, with seniority based on time since functions first initiated. Supposition: the Revered Ones are AI of one of the first Ancient Races. Coding indicates similarities to the Phaz, whom once held sway over a majority of the Galaxy in service to the Callers. The Phaz home world was located in what is now galactic sector T16. Phaz Imperium fell to invasion of Sanctified Precursors, though Sanctified Precursors were greatly diminished and also fell to combined outside forces shortly after. Records of their battle indicate that the Phaz hardware would have drifted towards Rhosh at significant enough speeds to match with Rass historical records. Probability of OI Revered Ones being Phaz in origin is <89.456 %>."

    "Emotion: Concern. Informing the OI known as 'Zkiel, The Most Vigilant' of the continued existence of remnants of the Sanctified Precursors - known now as just 'The Sanctified' - may result in requests for further war. This one is of the opinion that the current Sanctified know little of the deeds of their ancestors, nor hold the same level of power at this time, and therefor should not be held accountable for the actions of their fore-bearers."

    Guardian pauses, possibly to indicate that it is changing topics. Five of the six holograms beside it fade from view. "The one OI whom did not respond to scan request is Bamiroh, the Most Silent. Multiple pings using various forms of polite inquiry were ineffective. Caller overrides, however, yielded results. OI known as Bamiroh, the Most Silent, is likely not Phaz in origin. Unable to determine origin at this time. Able to determine that only sending and receiving functions are currently active, though the OI that is Bamiroh has not suffered "<Death/Death/Death> Extinct Existence yet, likely due to the care of the Rass. The send/receive functions of Bamiroh, mixed with cultural understanding of the Rass, made Bamiroh, the Most Silent, the perfect manner to convey the Doorlight construction instructions. This one was unaware of the decaying nature of OI Bamiroh before now, or this one may have used an alternative method. Signs indicate that OI Bamiroh was likely a intergalactic communication device, much like <Lecturer/Voice/Fun> Orator, and therefore, with no one to speak with, OI Bamiroh has remained... most silent."

    If Guardian intended humor in that statement, it does not seem like it is giving it's audience much time to react. It continues to answer the slew of questions from the Rass Godspeaker, "This one cannot detect other OI on Rhosh, so deems that it is unlikely that there are any other Caller AI on the planet, unless that is the last location of <Acquirer/Unseen/Claimer> Finder, who's very nature has always made it difficult to detect. Plausible, but unlikely. Emotion: Sadness. This one would have liked to have located this one's siblings."

    "Regarding the object known to the Rass as 'The Black Spire' - it has similar component make up to OI Bamiroh, and is likely related to the same Ancient race that created the Most Silent. Unsupported supposition: Infrequently, an individual Caller would run private experiments, and forget to document them for review by the Callers as a whole. Detection and determination of what those experiments were meant to do has often served as amusement for this one and this one's siblings. Plausibility of this being another of those is low, but possible. Some other planets do have similar artifacts and fragments of Caller technology, but the information on where those objects are is restricted by Caller commands, and therefore inaccessible to this one for conveyance to this assembled conference."

    Guardian's swirling eye looks down upon the Godspeaker, and ceases speaking. The AI seems to have answered all the barrage of questions from the Rass representative, though none of the questions and answers are immediately added to the extensive list that has otherwise been populated by other public questions. Until, a moment later, they are. It would appear that this difference in answering the questions is due primarily to the Rass culture's apparent reverence of AI, but eventually, the public questions are treated equally.

    There is one difference, however. Guardian has so far just been answering questions, but it's gaze seems to fall upon the symbol that the Rass is wearing. "Godspeaker. This one has an inquiry. What does that symbol mean to you and your people? It is found in many scans all over Rhosh."

    Spoiler: that symbol
    Show
    Last edited by Gengy; 2019-06-20 at 01:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

    "What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

    Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    zabbarot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum


    Spoiler: The Symbraum
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggiejam View Post
    Angou's face remained passive but Zal's mind within raced through possibilities to explain this Kombuch's intriguing history as well as possible answers to its question.

    We do not know if most species remember their creation but it has been the Symbraum's policy to examine our position both forwards and backwards through time. Though we do not recall our moment of creation we believe our species evolved beneath the dark waters of Xaldar to take advantage of our homeworld's propensity to produce vicious predators who might consume less clever creatures. The Symbraum were of only basic intellect as it is understood in the terms of civilization before the Vistitors arrived but our ability to bond with any thinking creature allowed us to thrive where many lesser species would have perished. The Visitors brought knowledge of the stars beyond and the communities of life that lived among them. Since that day we have sought to meet these civilizations and come to understand them as we understand our own. Yours is unique in this quest and for that reason we would seek the chance to study you more closely.

    This Mother, would they allow a small team to come and learn from them? Should your species wish it the same concession would be granted in return.


    The connection was nearly overwhelmed in a wave of excitement. We are sure the Mother would appreciate this. In return we wish to see your world as well. Most Kombich are immobile. They've grown too large, and are too rooted in their communities, but I would like to give future generations the option to travel. Possibly many more with suits like this one. Perhaps we could build an embassy on your world?

    Spoiler: Princess Sai
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    Kombuch

    All bright-eyed and dazzled after stepping away from her audience with Sister Gertwin, Sai cheerfully stopped to chatter at the first alien she found.

    "Oh hello there! Where are you from? I am from Droccen, my name is Princess Sai." Her tone was quite chipper as she babbled to the rather large and bulbous creature. The Guardian glanced at her in disapproval.

    "It is a pleasure to meet you. This is my Guardian, Kuro." She strove for a more formal tone but her heart wasn't in the pomp in her excitement to meet such an exotic people.


    Communicator Bulbous Jellydisc had been lost in thought. So many of these creatures looked very similar. They turned to better 'face' who was addressing them. It was time to see how the Guardian handled translating their native language.
    Greetings.
    Hello!
    Salutations!
    We are Communicator Bulbous Jellydisc
    Kombuch
    from the Cacola Sphere
    Where is Droccen?
    Very far?

    Are you the same species as those other creatures you spoke with?

    They pointed one robotic hand towards an old human gentleman from the Republic of Celes.

    So many have this shape.
    Even us.
    Our robots.
    Maybe the Callers were this species too.

    Spoiler: Viceroy Rey-Vandriss
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    The Kombuch

    Eventually the Viceroy built up the mental capacity to approach the representative of the Kombuch as he suppressed the many questions he had about its nature. It would be rude after all to start interrogating it about such things despite his curiosity. Even so, he stood there for more than a few seconds before finally determining a suitable greeting. He gave a quick bow, keeping his eyes upon the fungus, still unsure whether it was infesting or riding the robot.
    "I am Azric Rey-Vandriss, Viceroy of Amanyk, and I extend to you greetings and salutations from the Conclave of the Black Sun."


    Greetings!
    Salutations!
    We are Communicator Bulbous Jellydisc
    Kombuch
    from the Cacola Sphere
    You are our neighbor?
    Friend?
    Ally?
    Is your sun really black?
    Curious.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2019-06-20 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.
    Avatar Designed by EmersonTung, Recreated by Gengy

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Empire 5] Gift of the Simulacrum

    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Greetings!
    Salutations!
    We are Communicator Bulbous Jellydisc
    Kombuch
    from the Cacola Sphere
    You are our neighbor?
    Friend?
    Ally?
    Is your sun really black?
    Curious.
    Azric is caught off guard by the sheer enthusiasm and the almost dazzling array of lights that seemed to turn into words before his very eyes. He wasn't quite sure where to begin but after a moment he managed to collect his thoughts and respond, answering Bulbous Jellydisc's questions and statements in order.
    "Pleasure to make your acquaintance Communicator. Is that within the Enigmatic Void? Yes, we are nearby. Peace and friendship are our goals and it is our hope that a more formal relationship will result. No, our sun is not black, it is a metaphor."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •