The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Monsters as PC's (IC, 3.P)

You break nearly a dozen boxes and pile the various corpses into a makeshift pyre. The wood burns well, and while the smell is fairly unpleasant, the warmth is welcome, even at a distance.

It is roughly 8 AM, and the bodies mostly burnt when....

A constant screaming and wailing starts coming from what seems like inside the southeast tower. It sounds vaguely humanoid, but no words of any language can be made out. It somewhat blurs together, but easily several sources are present.

Spoiler: OOC Knowledge rolls
    Show
    Ellenallen and Sudu Gileso I both rolled in low 20's on Knowledge(the planes). I bricked Zarakiel's

They are both confident the screaming is not remotely humanoid at all, but an evil extraplanar creature(s).

Though quite disturbing, it becomes apparent the screaming is suspiciously steady. It doesn't really get louder/softer or worse/better.
    The sound would be exceedingly muffled from the door alone (closed, open inwards), but comes out more effectively from the tower roof. From previous aerial scouting, the stairway down doesn't have a door or equivalent preventing entry.

2. - Top - End - #182

MindFlayer

The eerie screaming continues, growing somewhat louder as you approach the tower. Opening the door reveals:

A group of writhing, thorny red stalks as thick as a human and nearly 10' tall. Star-shaped leaves ring the plant around a large, spiny seedpod at its heart. Two bristly vines sprout from either side of the pod. In addition, the dirt floor of the tower in writhing red vines, apparently the source of the screaming.

The northern wall looks to have several humanoid corpses piled up. The more intact and visible ones look dwarven, in partially rotten clothing. There is a stairwell leading up and a basement hatch, barely visible through the writhing vines.

You have the drop on this....thing.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Drop this.

Ellenallen looks... well, her pallor is ashen no matter if she was bitten by a ghoul or not, but she seems more robust once more as she snorts in frustration. Ironically, the centaur is clearly sick of this.

"HELL'S BELLS, WHO PUT ALL THIS SCUM HERE!?!" she asks aloud to the heavens before just firing a big literally screaming bolt of energy at the mass of plant tendrils.

"We might need some of those dwarf corpses to identify later, so don't just burn this room to cinders!"

Spoiler: ooc/rolls
    Show

EB-(1d20+6)[8]

Damage with mortal bane: (4d6)[19]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

"I can try casting a spell. Lets see if I can take him out." Luin declares as he casts his magic missile spell. He guesses that he should be able to worn it down a bit.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d4+2)[5]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the awesome avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zarakiel looks at the writhing vines, then down at his mace.

"Er... I do not believe my weapon of choice will be particularly effective here. Would anyone happen to have a spare sword or axe?"
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

"On my left side!" Ellenallen actually happens to have a spare longsword, picked off some recently dead corpse during the city siege who no longer needed it. She shifts from hoof to hoof, not taking her eyes off the plant monster but it's easily drawn if one needed to take it.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #187

MindFlayer

The bizarre red plant launches an odd looking sphere from its central portion, which explodes into a sport cloud, covering Tark and Zarakiel. Thorny growths begin painfully and horrifyingly growing out of their faces quickly. The cloud also has a redish tinge, which fades very quickly.

The mass of vines lurches upward, and moves towards Tark and Zarakiel. The vines coming from the ground fully retract as it does so, thankfully removing the constant screaming.
    As it moves closer, the two large vines on either side could function as arms. Otherwise, you can't make out much in the way of features, like eyes/head/face.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Tark takes (1d8)[2] damage.
    Zarakiel takes (1d8)[3]

The demonthorn mandrakes actions are: standard action(spore pod), 5' step. Roll20 is accurate. Tark is at 10'/melee reach, Zarakiel can melee with a 5' step.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Tark had spent the last turn relaxing his arms and getting himself ready for a decisive strike of utter brutality. The spores would hit him and sure they'd hurt but his natural regeneration would kill them off soon enough.

Either way, Tark delays until the Mandrake is in Melee Range, before exploding into violence. For a few seconds all anyone can see is Claws and Teeth and Fists.

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show

Everything is delayed until the guy gets up and close.
    Last turn I delayed the swift action for a Bronze Knuckle boost. This turn I use a swift action to get Flash Kick up.
    Full Attack Action with +2d6 from Bronze Knuckle, An extra Kick at -2 and +2d6 and a + 1d6 from Pugilist Stance

Attack Rolls
    (1d20+9)[19]:Claw
    (1d20+9)[22]:Claw
    (1d20+7)[25]:Kick
    (1d20+4)[7]:Bite

Damage Rolls
    (1d10+12)[20]: Claw
    (1d10+8)[13]: Claw
    (1d10+8)[17]: Kick
    (1d10+4)[10]: Bite

Boosts
    (3d6)[8]: Claw
    (3d6)[11]: Claw
    (5d6)[16]: Kick (Pugulist + Bronze Knuckle + Flash Kick)
    (3d6)[16]: Bite
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

9. - Top - End - #189

MindFlayer

The viciously aimed blows hit the plant brutally. Audibly snapping near the center, it very nearly breaks fully in half. From its 'torso', a redish sap-like substance oozes steadly for a bit and then stops.

The corpses along the north wall look to be all dwarven, in various states of decay. None very recent, you estimate a few years to a few decades. The wear nothing but partially rotted clothing, most of which appears to have once been finely crafted. Likely what they were buried in.
    They number 20, stacked fairly neatly in an orderly pile.

The corpses have no possessions themselves. The plant detects as evil but that seems to be fading steadily after death. The only magic is faint, coming from a storage box along the back wall.
    Said box has no lid in sight, but has a fair bit of Onyx (550 gp), A large piece of Jade (100 gp), and a potion. The potion is the only source of magic in the tower. It detects faint transmutation.

It also contains something odd. A fairly large piece, what could be described as a tablet, measuring a very even 2'X2'X4". It is very lightweight (a pound if that), but the coloring is strange. It is faintly metallic, but a solid grey-brown combination that doesn't look natural.
    You are having a difficult time telling if this is stone, metal, or other. It has a fair amount of writing in the Draconic alphabet on one side. This is deeply but finely engraved, both the edges of the square and engraving in perfect condition.
    The alphabet is Draconic (so are 5 common living languages in Faerun), but the words don't match anything any of you are familiar with. This seems very out of place, and puzzling. Detailed examination with detect magic finds nothing.

There is an open set of doors in the floor, unworked dirt but for that surprisingly clean and neat. Light comes in from the narrow spiral stairway up, leading to the roof previously scouted. You are confident you could declare this tower secured.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Luin sighs in relief. "Well, this misión might finally be complete. Does anyone have a way to inform about our success?" Luin wonders about the mysterious words in Draconic. Maybe, he could write them the words down to later investigate more about them.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the awesome avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.