The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Replacement needed for Champions: Return to Arms (PS2)

As you might guess from the title, I'm not a big video game player. My tween daughter enjoys playing my old PS2 dungeon crawl game with me sometimes, but we've sort of played it to death and could use a replacement. I don't really care what game system platform it's on (I can splurge on a new xbox or PS4 or whatever), but I want something that'll interest her and be fun, without getting too explicit in ways which won't be fun for father/daughter play.

That said, can anybody suggest a good current game/system to try out that sort of similar/D&D-like? I looked around a little, and thought maybe "Divinity: Original Sin 2" might work, but it seems like maybe that's only available on an actual computer (not really sure).

I'm looking for:
    -fantasy/D&D type setting
    -character choice/customization ability
    -multiplayer play (in-house, side by side, whatever it's called)
    -no need to connect or go online
    -nothing too sexually suggestive
    -not too difficult for casual gamers

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Replacement needed for Champions: Return to Arms (PS2)

Diablo 3 is the classic of this generation. 4 player local coop, lots and lots of customization, and not overly complicated. It emphasizes on the "gameplay" portion over the "Role-Playing" part, so your character isn't going to be making any multi-choice dialogue options.

You can get it for PS3 or Xbox 360, but it might be worth just getting an upgraded console so it runs a bit smoother and has a bit more longevity.

As far as local-coop games go, D3 is probably the only Triple-A game of the genre that's come out in the last 10 years, and it's still an amazing game. It did a great job in that regards like with its predecessor Diablo 2 (Came out in 2000, was still the best game in the genre until D3 in 2012).

Keep in mind, it's a lot faster-paced than the older games. You have to move around a bit more to dodge attacks, your abilities are flashier and more explosive, so things feel a lot more intense than the older style of "Cast spell, run away".

If you want to keep things on the PS2 level, look into the Baldur's Gate games, which are a lot of fun. Or for more of a Hack-And-Slash gameplay with less plot, look into Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Diablo 3 is the classic of this generation. 4 player local coop, lots and lots of customization, and not overly complicated. It emphasizes on the "gameplay" portion over the "Role-Playing" part, so your character isn't going to be making any multi-choice dialogue options.

If you want to keep things on the PS2 level, look into the Baldur's Gate games, which are a lot of fun. Or for more of a Hack-And-Slash gameplay with less plot, look into Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows.
    Awesome, thank you! I'll look into them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, there's a Lord of the Rings game (War of the North, I think) that plays very much like a dungeon crawler. It's a bit linear and has some (very amusing) sub-par animation, but the characters are fun.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...