1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Total War

Never Played

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Well, if your armies are good enough to conquer your enemies right now, your economy will stabilize on its own when you start conquering more lands during realm divide. If you don't already have them, I highly suggest taking the trade nodes on the left side of the map. Add multiple trade ships on them, there is a slight diminishing return, but you can easily have five or six ship on a trade node and still make bank.
    That is something I've been attempting. I've laid claim to at least two of them, the problem is that the Yamana clan, who've been a thorn in my side since I unified Kyushu, have about a dozen fleets they use to harrass my trade routes and blockade my ports, so in the end I barely benefit from them.

That's actually the primary source of my economic woes and the reason I've steadily been going up southern Honshu rather than moving to Shikoku as I'd originally planned, because the Yamana keep throwing stacks of samurai at me and they always seem to have one more town so they're never fully eliminated as a problem. I'm dreading when I have to challenge the Uesugi. They've come to dominate northern Honshu!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2019-07-17 at 12:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Hmm, you'll need to scrounge up the money to make a stronger navy, then. Realm Divide involves your rivals sending full stack armies by sailing ships around your territories so they can hit softer targets. If you can't stop enemy navies right now, you're likely to get overwhelmed from behind by everyone at the same time. Even an easily defensible island like Kyushu is not going to help you in that case.
    My other suggestion is to turn military buildings into economy buildings.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, you'll need to scrounge up the money to make a stronger navy, then. Realm Divide involves your rivals sending full stack armies by sailing ships around your territories so they can hit softer targets. If you can't stop enemy navies right now, you're likely to get overwhelmed from behind by everyone at the same time. Even an easily defensible island like Kyushu is not going to help you in that case.
    My other suggestion is to turn military buildings into economy buildings.
    To clarify, I DO have a pair of strong navies (each one consisting of 2 Sengoku Bune, 4 Medium Bune and 4 Bow Kobaya). It's just that they're currently baby-sitting the trade ships at the nodes I have, since I'm worried the Yamana will just target those next, or the Wako Pirates will. Would you recommend sending those navies to drive off the Yamana fleets and then build some more ships at the newly freed ports to beef up the trade fleets so they can protect themselves?

And I do want to build up more economic buildings, especially in towns like Iwate and Bungo, but what worries me about that is how much time it will take to build up the koku to afford those buildings, combined with the build times and the waiting for technologies to complete, especially since some of those technologies will take 10 turns or more to complete. Since it's already 1574, I'm worried that waiting will cause me to run out the clock to 1600 and I'll lose. I think I have about 104 turns left at this point.

Have I played myself into a corner here? Would it be easier for me to just restart my attempt since I spent so much time waiting to research Gunpowder Mastery to get the Advanced Firearms achievement?

Thank you again for the advice, I didn't realize just how rusty at this game I was!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    To clarify, I DO have a pair of strong navies (each one consisting of 2 Sengoku Bune, 4 Medium Bune and 4 Bow Kobaya). It's just that they're currently baby-sitting the trade ships at the nodes I have, since I'm worried the Yamana will just target those next, or the Wako Pirates will. Would you recommend sending those navies to drive off the Yamana fleets and then build some more ships at the newly freed ports to beef up the trade fleets so they can protect themselves?

And I do want to build up more economic buildings, especially in towns like Iwate and Bungo, but what worries me about that is how much time it will take to build up the koku to afford those buildings, combined with the build times and the waiting for technologies to complete, especially since some of those technologies will take 10 turns or more to complete. Since it's already 1574, I'm worried that waiting will cause me to run out the clock to 1600 and I'll lose. I think I have about 104 turns left at this point.

Have I played myself into a corner here? Would it be easier for me to just restart my attempt since I spent so much time waiting to research Gunpowder Mastery to get the Advanced Firearms achievement?

Thank you again for the advice, I didn't realize just how rusty at this game I was!
    I think you'd do better kicking the Yamana out of the trade routes. For what it's worth, the ships have to come from somewhere, so as long as you can find the port raiding ships come from, you can make a defensive line to make sure you can intercept them when they get in your territory. Removing them from play entirely will ensure they can't raid anymore as well (it will trigger Realm Divide, of course). As for the pirates, although they can spawn anywhere, they rarely have large navies, so when they do appear, you can just train a few ships and chase them away. Hell, with five trade ships per node, you can potentially make their attacks on your trade ships costly enough that you can then retake the ships they stole from you. The important thing is to make sure you've got fleets that can watch for sea invasions along the coastline, and leaving the Yamana around will just make that harder.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Could I remove the Yamana without conquering them, by using my missionaries to start Christian revolts in their lands?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2019-07-17 at 06:04 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Could I remove the Yamana without conquering them, by using my missionaries to start Christian revolts in their lands?
    Probably, yes, but that could also take quite a while. When left in a single province, the AI usually has a single full-stack army, and they won't fall to a rebellion.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Probably, yes, but that could also take quite a while. When left in a single province, the AI usually has a single full-stack army, and they won't fall to a rebellion.
    Thanks again!

Some other random questions, if you don't mind: Generally how fast SHOULD I expand before nearing Realm Divide? I ask because I'm at about 114 turns approximately right now, and I'm wondering if I waited too long to get to this point by trying to get the Advanced Firearms achievement, and should have been at this point earlier.

What's the point of that "Autumn" cutscene? Is it supposed to be a motivator to get me going or something? I worry that, again, I should have been at this point BEFORE that cutscene triggered. It certainly made me panic and try to start conquering.

Would it be better for me to just field normal trade ships instead of Nanban ones? I'm starting to think that despite their power, they're just too expensive to maintain in fleets.

And would it be better to build military improvement buildings (Encampments and their upgrades) that MATCH the supplementary building in the province (Armories and Armorers, Hunting Lodges and Master Bowmakers) or ones that are different (Armories and Weaponsmiths, Armories and Master Bowmakers)? The Shimazu Heavy Gunners require an Armory and Gunsmith to recruit, but I don't think I can build both an Armory AND a Hunting Lodge in the same castle.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2019-07-17 at 06:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I honestly couldn't tell you how fast you should expand. There's an easy argument that the faster you expand, the less powerful your enemies will be, so you will have an easier time conquering them individually when the time comes, but I hate rushing like that. The biggest problem will be managing to keep control of the provinces you conquer from now on, but after Realm Divide, you shouldn't hesitate to create vassals. They'll control their lands, and they won't be subject to Realm Divide penalties. They give you tribute every turn as well, and can be traded with, so you'll get plenty of money from them.

I don,t think the autumn cutscene has a special significance, except that it happens when you start some festival, I don't remember which.

I've never played Christian, so I couldn't tell you the difference between normal and Nanban ships. I assume that Nanban ships are more heavily protected compared to normal trade ships, so if they go in a dangerous area, they could hold their own better. Potentially a good thing to use against the Yamana's raiders.

I highly suggest making improvement buildings that match any buildings already in the province. That's how you make the best specialized units.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Well, good news bad news time. Good news is, sending my fleets to mop up Yamana raiders did wonders for my economy! The bad news is that while I did that, the Uesugi took Kyoto and have been declared Shogun. I suppose my options are either to trigger Realm Divide and hope for the best, or just start the campaign from scratch and do things better this time around?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I didn't even know AI factions could become shogun. XD

I don't think this affects your plans at all, though. Realm Divide won't happen any differently than if the original faction was still shogun. Hell, maybe it'll prevent free armies from spawning for the Uesugi when Realm Divide starts.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so just keep doing what I'm doing right now (keeping the Yamana at bay on land and sea while I research more tech and build two more mid-game tier armies, one for joining my current main army as it marches up Honshu to Kyoto and the second one for defending against attacks behind my lines)?

Spoiler: Here's what I mean by mid-game tier army
    Show
    1 General's Bodyguard
    2 Naginata Samurai
    8 Shimazu Katana Samurai
    5 Bow Samurai
    4 Yari Cavalry

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I personally suggest keeping lower-tier units of Ashigaru to defend your territories. They'll cost less in upkeep, and unless the enemy army is full of elite samurai, they can handle most kind of enemies you'll face. Particularly in castles, where their low morale will not be an issue.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

So, this is the second time I've seen you reference having empty turns while you're waiting for something to happen. In general that's a pretty bad idea in any kind of game. The turns you're doing nothing your enemies are getting an advantage. Even if you can't achieve your goals immediately you should be doing something productive in every turn. You should never just sit and wait because your opponents sure aren't.