New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Remote Irish Island, Good Internet

So evidently the remote Irish island of Arranmore is asking people to come live there, now that they have broadband. I must say I am tempted. Is anyone else intrigued? Does anyone have any words of warning or encouragement?
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/remot...175000851.html
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Remote Irish Island, Good Internet

Funny you should ask, these are questions I actually kinda work with, and it's a major concern for the organisation I work for. I've even given a presentation about it for a Island Cooperation Something or Other organisation I don't care to name because I don't feel like I need peopel here to be able to find me.

It's been tried and it doesn't work. Not in of itself. Unfortunately the window where speed was a good enough reason to move was probably 20 years ago. To paraphrase one of my points, high speed Internet isn't a Strength today, not having it is a Weakness (if you care for SWOT analysis).

About 10 years ago a number of remote islands here did the same, they started their own fibre company because noone was interested in getting good connections out there.

It doesn't drive immigration. More pressing concerns are: do you got a job there, are there enough services (shops, food, education, entertainment, civic services, other kids to play with), is it a community/lifestyle that works for you.

That last one is the deal breaker really. Note how one guy interviewd in the article said the key word "moving home". I like to say you need to be "island ready"*. Thing is it's hard to imagine just how small such a place can become, and fast. You can't go to a MacDonalds, you can't catch the premiere of the next Avenger movie because the cinema is a boatride away at inconvenient times, the library is only open at certain times, you cover all the biketrails in a week tops.

My "boss" wouldn't like me being this candid, so please don't tell him I spilled the beans.

*part outdoorsman, part hermit, part MacGuyver

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, "the local talent includes graphic designers, game developers, app developers, photographers, plus a host of artisan craftspeople". All this in a population of less than 500, mark you.

Pretty clearly when they say "open for business", they're looking for someone to employ all these people. From which I infer, there are currently zero decent indoor jobs to be had on the island.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    So, "the local talent includes graphic designers, game developers, app developers, photographers, plus a host of artisan craftspeople". All this in a population of less than 500, mark you.
    It's not as crazy as it seems. "Islanders" can be quite creative (you have to be, and places like that tend to breed entreprenurs), I know places much smaller with similar numbers. I would expect these to be younger ppl educated elsehwere working wholly or partly from the island. Some of those titles are probably the same person too.

Pretty clearly when they say "open for business", they're looking for someone to employ all these people. From which I infer, there are currently zero decent indoor jobs to be had on the island.
    I think you are maybe taking that bit too far. I don't think they were implying they have a Silicon Valley out there.

I would expect the people mentioned to be selfemployed.

Places like that don't directly suffer from lack of jobs per se, but often more the lack the right people to fill gaps. At least one case I know e.g. an island was looking for 1 family with a child, because then another could move there and the school coulda stayed open. Instead now the school is "officially" closed and that hurdle to get families to move out just became a lot bigger because you can't say "yeah we got a school" but have to say "yes IF you move here we'll have a school".
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-06-19 at 05:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I like to say you need to be "island ready"*. Thing is it's hard to imagine just how small such a place can become, and fast. You can't go to a MacDonalds, you can't catch the premiere of the next Avenger movie because the cinema is a boatride away at inconvenient times, the library is only open at certain times, you cover all the biketrails in a week tops.

*part outdoorsman, part hermit, part MacGuyver
    That sounds delightful! My only issue (well, I do have a few others, but let's ignore them) is that there's no benefit to moving there over any other part of Ireland, or the UK, or the US where I'm sure it'd be even easier for me. There's no offers of money like Vermont, there's no offers of housing like Detroit, it's just "hey what about here instead of not-here?"
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Pretty clearly when they say "open for business", they're looking for someone to employ all these people.
    Not employers, per se. All of those jobs are services, so I'd infer what they're looking for are clients, who might want to take advantage of the services available now that they are better connected.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It sort of sounds like there's a coworking-ish pitch on a community level to be made here. Come here if you're digitally self employed and want island living, and there's enough people with relevant skillsets around that if you need subcontractors and/or a few employees down the line they will be available. I'm sure that the funds are kind of limited for a 500 people island but add in a few financial incentives and I could see people moving there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think you will find that what they want are people who will bring income to the island. Subsistence farming really doesn't attract many people who live in (or connected to) western culture, and the island's local industries will not be able to expand much (limited space) to bring money in any other way. By getting a decent internet connection the island can support a community whose main income is off-island, thus bringing money in (to pay those who already live there for they more traditional services) and to increase demand (thus lowering import costs) for staples and luxuries not produced on-island.

All that said, they need people who can adapt to life on island (for all the reasons mentioned above) which makes attracting people non-trivial.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

That sounds delightful! My only issue (well, I do have a few others, but let's ignore them) is that there's no benefit to moving there over any other part of Ireland, or the UK, or the US where I'm sure it'd be even easier for me. There's no offers of money like Vermont, there's no offers of housing like Detroit, it's just "hey what about here instead of not-here?"
    It's such a nice place to live they don't have to...

I would point out people who move somewhere because they get paid are probably not gonna be longterm investments. It's a bit like the phonecompanies giving incentives to moving customers, do they not realise those people will then move on again for the next offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post

All that said, they need people who can adapt to life on island (for all the reasons mentioned above) which makes attracting people non-trivial.
    Looking on their homepage they are inundated with requests so guess publicity works.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It's such a nice place to live they don't have to...

I would point out people who move somewhere because they get paid are probably not gonna be longterm investments. It's a bit like the phonecompanies giving incentives to moving customers, do they not realise those people will then move on again for the next offer.
    To be fair, moving where you live is a significantly larger change than switching phone carriers.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I assume the pitch regarding the employment isn't them looking for an employer or clients, but to promote an artistic community. None of the jobs stated can't be done remotely, and many are often freelancers that can take jobs over the internet. I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to start a modern-day artist commune, because I assume that would be the sort of people who could find work there, be okay with not seeing the last movie, and be the sort that would seem interesting to invite to dinner.

I'm just surprised they want Americans because people usually want us to leave.

To be fair, moving where you live is a significantly larger change than switching phone carriers.
    Depends on how good the customer service is and how hard they are trying to get you to upgrade to a package with cable. I don't even own a television, dammit, stop trying to sell me cable!

My family still gets notices regarding garbage services for my grandfather who died over 15 years ago. Yeah, I don't think he's in great need of knowing how to save the environment anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am intrigued. Too bad there's this whole thing call the Atlantic Ocean standing in my way. But aside from that sign me up. I mean how difficult is it to cross? Aqua Man does it all the time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

...It doesn't drive immigration. More pressing concerns are: do you got a job there, are there enough services (shops, food, education, entertainment, civic services, other kids to play with), is it a community/lifestyle that works for you.

That last one is the deal breaker really. Note how one guy interviewd in the article said the key word "moving home". I like to say you need to be "island ready"*. Thing is it's hard to imagine just how small such a place can become, and fast. You can't go to a MacDonalds, you can't catch the premiere of the next Avenger movie because the cinema is a boatride away at inconvenient times, the library is only open at certain times, you cover all the biketrails in a week tops...
    Island Fever is a real thing. It's less of a problem in the Tropics where you don't plan to move from your hammock & rum induced stupor all day.

However, north-west of Ireland? I imagine it would be great.. IF you are a brooding poet with furrowed brow who stops in the pub to escape the gathering storm of your tortured soul or a heart-broken woman who stands on the shore searching the horizon for her lost love...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    However, north-west of Ireland? I imagine it would be great.. IF you are a brooding poet with furrowed brow who stops in the pub to escape the gathering storm of your tortured soul or a heart-broken woman who stands on the shore searching the horizon for her lost love...
    Or you just don't go outside a lot. Which you have to admit probably does have a bit of overlap with people on the internet a lot...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.