New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Alcy chance of getting a map of the Northern Continent?

Like we got for the Western Continent in BRitF and for the Southern Continent in NGDU?
    We even have a detail of the Dwarven lands!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Alcy chance of getting a map of the Northern Continent?

I'd say unlikely. A lot of the early story happened in parts of the Northern Continent, but I don't think Burlew had a map in mind for it. So to make it consistent, he'd have to go back through the first couple books to find any geographic info embedded in the text and then construct a map that doesn't conflict with that. True, he could use the Gazetteer of the Stick (compiled by some foolish fan who has too much time on his hands) and save a lot of time, but it'd still be a lot of work. And there'd be nothing to gain for this work.

He did do something vaguely along these lines when he started a sourcebook for the Stickverse. He abandoned that, although he published what he'd done so far as additional matter in the back of the online Don't Split the Party.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

3. - Top - End - #3

Actually, the notional sourcebook means he might already have that map.

4. - Top - End - #4

Flumph

No it doesn't. It has three maps, but they aren't of the whole Northern Continent. One is the area just north of the Southern Continent map (which is actually a map of just the Cyan Peninsula and nearby lands, BTW). It shows where Greysky City is and area around it. Another is of a land northwest of Cliffport called Uptharnorr which will not be in the story. The third is of the Undescribed Territories, and there's not really much to say about that map.

Anyway, there's a large chunk of land north of Greysky City, including the area around and to the northeast of Cliffport, which is not mapped. There's also a lot of the Southern Continent which is not mapped.

5. - Top - End - #5

Lizardfolk

Probably full of mountains...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

There's a partial map when Bandana's talking about the path they'd take to Firmament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

That's the map of Dwarven lands mentioned in the OP.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I won't be surprised if Rich doesn't want to lock himself out of options before he's done telling the story that takes place on the Northern Continent. Releasing a map now would limit his freedom to tweak things later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Actually finishing a seven-book series of fantasy novels is a better dig at ASOIAF than any in-strip parody could be.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A global map incorporating the maps already published would make a nice Christmas gift. I'd buy one in wall-map size. Also half a dozen place mats and a mouse pad.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

We've also seen the planet from space at least once, though I don't know which continent we were facing at the time.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

The side with the Northern continent:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html

- the Western continent is visible on the left, and matches later maps of it:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree, this would be an awesome idea. All of the maps have been very incomplete or very regional.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #13

To be completely honest, my hope is that once Rich finishes Book 7, he goes back and finishes the sourcebook. We don't need the game rule stuff, we want the fluff. And it'd be mostly text, which would be nice for his drawing hand.

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Linneris View Post
    I won't be surprised if Rich doesn't want to lock himself out of options before he's done telling the story that takes place on the Northern Continent. Releasing a map now would limit his freedom to tweak things later.
    That actually doesn't seem to be an issue for him. The map of the Western Continent came out long before he was done with the action on that continent. We saw the map of the Dwarven lands before almost any action had taken place there. (The exception being Durkon being kicked out of his home years before.) The map of the Cyan Peninsula was around long before he wrote the O-Chul story.

I suspect the real reasons are, as I said upthread, making it consistent would take a lot of work and there would be no payoff. OK, maybe if he finishes the sourcebook and puts it in there, there'd be a payoff. But his plan for that seemed to be to make a number of regional maps rather than a map of the whole continent.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    That actually doesn't seem to be an issue for him. The map of the Western Continent came out long before he was done with the action on that continent. We saw the map of the Dwarven lands before almost any action had taken place there. (The exception being Durkon being kicked out of his home years before.) The map of the Cyan Peninsula was around long before he wrote the O-Chul story.

I suspect the real reasons are, as I said upthread, making it consistent would take a lot of work and there would be no payoff. OK, maybe if he finishes the sourcebook and puts it in there, there'd be a payoff. But his plan for that seemed to be to make a number of regional maps rather than a map of the whole continent.
    Hang on, you keep saying "Cyan Peninsula." What evidence do we have that the map in GDGU isn't actually of the Southern Continent?

16. - Top - End - #16

None. The map is clearly labeled "The Southern Continent".

The Cyan Peninsula is a chunk of land near Azure City.

17. - Top - End - #17

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Hang on, you keep saying "Cyan Peninsula." What evidence do we have that the map in GDGU isn't actually of the Southern Continent?
    I don't have GDGU yet and I was thinking the reference was to the map in the back of W&XPs. That map is just of the Cyan Peninsula. So sorry, I was mistaken on this. Are these two maps different?

Note: it's not that I'm not going to buy GDGU, but I was waiting to order it with the 6th book. Saves on shipping.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have GDGU yet and I was thinking the reference was to the map in the back of W&XPs. That map is just of the Cyan Peninsula. So sorry, I was mistaken on this. Are these two maps different?
    Yes. Azurite Territory is only about one-sixth of the map, and the only land connection is labelled "To Greysky City" so I believe this is the entire Southern Continent (just in case I wanted to doubt the title on the map's legend). Other named areas include the Sunken Valley, the Ghostlands, the Peripheral Frontier, the Realm of the Dragon, and the Raja Kingdom; as well as subregions and/or settlements within each, and surrounding bodies of water.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

OK, thanks. I guess I'll have some additions to the Gazetteer when I get that book.

20. - Top - End - #20

If you don't want to wait, the PDF is available on Gumroad. You can bundle it with the new AMFES.

21. - Top - End - #21

Flumph

I already have the O-Chul story and Therkla-Sangwaan story through being a Kickstarter supporter. AIUI, there's only one other story in GDGU plus some other stuff like the map. I'm not sure that's worth the money for a download. I only got the Digital Edition of DStP because there was no other way to get the additional stuff. I assume the additional stuff will be in the print edition of GDGU. Since I'm on a budget here, I think I'll wait.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

I already have the O-Chul story and Therkla-Sangwaan story through being a Kickstarter supporter. AIUI, there's only one other story in GDGU plus some other stuff like the map. I'm not sure that's worth the money for a download. I only got the Digital Edition of DStP because there was no other way to get the additional stuff. I assume the additional stuff will be in the print edition of GDGU. Since I'm on a budget here, I think I'll wait.
    Actually there's three other stories - Young Lien, the Katos, and Mr Scruffy.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele