New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Unseen Naturalist Build

I got an idea for a character who would go into dungeons not to plunder, but just to record the ecology of the creatures inside. What abilities would be good for this?

I figure they need to stay undetected, so Pass Without Trace would help. Maybe Gloom Stalker levels? Any ways to hide from tremorsense or foil false appearance?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Unseen Naturalist Build

There are several ways you could go about this.
    1) Stealth: pass without a trace, invisibility, wildshape, meld into stone, stone shape, teleports (good if you can also grab true seeing)
    2) Safety: Arcane eye, scrying, clairvoyance
    3) Blend in: Disguise self, alter self, tongues, wildshape
    4) Negotiate: Charm person, suggestion, etc
    Hacks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Grasslands Land Druid covers most of what you'll need, with Pass Without Trace and Invisibility. You might want to grab Nondetection from somewhere, while you're at it (Deep Gnome + Feat), and you'd have a class fit the narrative...narratively!
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-19 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

You might enjoy the Goblin Hazard Druid. Making it a Moon Druid could also help; they can quite literally be a fly on the wall, or glide through the ground, or various other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't reccomend playing this unless the entire party is on board to not kill monsters and take their loot in a game of D&D. Because when a normal party finishes walking through the dungeon your character will have little ecology to right about unless you are a necromancer.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teaguethebean View Post
    I don't reccomend playing this unless the entire party is on board to not kill monsters and take their loot in a game of D&D. Because when a normal party finishes walking through the dungeon your character will have little ecology to right about unless you are a necromancer.
    We don't know what the rest of the party is doing, could be that everyone is on board, I could easily see players agreeing to this concept. And if they are, it would help to know what they are. If you have, for instance, another druid or wizard, we might need to start suggesting other options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I've had a similiar idea as well. My plan was to create a druid that had clositered scholar (or sage) background. I like the idea of a non-traditional druid. A naturalist just seemed like a perfect fit.

Druids in particular have wild shape, which I can see being a great asset for naturalists. So I recommend the druidic path.

Rangers also work. And in a pinch shadow monks and trickery domain clerics might give you what you want, since all of these classes have access to Pass Without Trace.