The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 106
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    As Kat marches off to enact her investigation, Xen looks around for anything else suspicious. It's not like there's a great deal she can do to help out an official guard, alongside a half-orc or not. She goes up to the water's edge and starts a casual stroll, keeping an eye out for nay debris in the shallower waters.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    "Just making sure everything's up to snuff." Kat gives the gnome a friendly nod, making sure he gets a good view of who he's talking to, while doing her best weary, put-upon guard impression, which isn't really an impression. She rummages in her pack and tugs free a rather battered but important-looking leather-bound book and an inkpen, and scratches out a quick line (The book's just her journal, but the grumpy gnome doesn't need to know that.).

    "One of the higher-ups has an imp up his ass about fires. Got the watch doing inspections of 'high risk' properties all across the island. ...Like everyone doesn't know Old Korvosa's a flaming tinderbox." she grumbles conspiratorially. "But since the fishery's already caught fire once, and it's under custodianship, we've got to take it seriously and they want us to make sure it's being looked after properly. Not lookin' to get in your way, just need t'do a couple circuits of the place. Makin' sure you're not storing lamp oil on top of a blackpowder barrel, that sort of thing. Common sense. Enough to make the brass happy."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+3)[15]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[26]

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Kat

    The gnome looks up at Kat for a moment, mouth opening slightly as he squints, then realization crosses his face, and he grins. As far as Kat can tell, it's supposed to be pleasant, but it isn't. "Ah, right! Right. Let me bring you to the front," he says, moving and gesturing for her to follow. "Yargin can talk to ya."

    Assuming she follows, the gnome leads the way off the ramp and around the front of the building, opening the front door to reveal a musty, poorly-lit room. As he steps inside, the floorboards creak noticeably, but he doesn't pay the noise any mind, heading straight for the dusty desk in the middle of the room, from which a soft growl emerges a moment later. The room is bare apart from the desk, though several doors leave it - one on the left, one on the right, and two ahead. It's the right of the two forward doors that the gnome approaches.

    "YARGIN! Get yer trash-eatin' rear out here! We got a 'spection!" The gnome shouts, hammering on the door as a scruffy dog emerges from the desk. The dog looks between the gnome and Kat, baring its teeth at her but keeping its distance.

    After another bout of hammering, the door opens, and a blond human man is revealed, sneering down at the gnome. "You really do need to make noise constantly, don't you? Has it never occurred to you that the reason everyone hates you is because you never stop?" He says, before noticing Kat. "Oh, oh my! My apologies, ma'am," he flashes a smile. "It isn't often we get proper visitors! My name is Yargin."

    Spoiler: Yargin
    Show


    "Yargin, it's a 'spection," the gnome repeats, stepping aside to let the man enter the room but seeming rather displeased.

    "You mean an inspection, you uneducated - "

    "No, a 'spection," the gnome hisses, interrupting the man, who pauses a moment.

    "Ah, of course," he says with a nod, and turns to Kat again. "What is it you're here to, as he says, "'spect"?"

    Xen

    Looking down into the river, Xen spots a fairly continuous stream of bones and scales slowly drifting away from the fishery; closer to the shore, caught along long-saturated pieces of wood and similar junk not worth fishing out, is an odd collection of things. What seems to be the remains of a small leather purse, a hand-long length of filthy rope, a relatively clean piece of embroidered fabric, depicting something that doubtlessly made sense in the past, when it part of a whole design.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Looking at the half-orc guard from a distance, Kamorkas realizes she's about to be invited inside. "I don't like much letting her in all alone..." Reaching into his coat again, he whispers a few arcane words. Only Kat can hear him, very faintly:

    "This way we can talk, even if you go inside. Without being overheard, mind you. You just have to whisper back."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting a Message cantrip. It takes 1 foot of stone or 3 ft of wood to block it, so I'm hopeful she can talk to us even from inside the building. Duration: 20 minutes. It takes a DC25 Percveption check to overhear what's being said.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Kamorkas in Curse of the Crimson Throne | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    "Fair enough. Lead the way." Despite the unpleasant company, Kat follows the gnome inside, trying to keep her "Just doin' my job" mask on over the tension in her gut. This could go wrong in a hurry. Her last act before ducking through the door is to nod to the little voice in her head. "I'll let you know."

    Kat smirks at the back and forth between the pair. Yargin was no more pleasant, but at least he was pretending. While they yell at each other, she murmurs "Yargin's here, all right. Got a big guard dog inside too."

    "Ah, fire 'spection. Like I told your friend, one of the big hats got it in his head to send the watch 'round to look over properties that might be at risk. Got us combing the whole island. Anything to look like he's doing something, I suppose."

    "Well, the fishery's on the list, on account of what happened with the storehouse. Don't mean to cause you any headaches, I'll be quick about it. Just need to do a run of the place, make sure there's nothing terribly dangerous, keeping yourselves safe. May I?"

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Xen plucks the purse out of the water for a little look-see at what's inside. With gloves on, naturally.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Astaria nods in agreement at Kamorkas' comment. She didn't like that Kat was going in alone, but unless things went sideways, there wasn't much she could do without getting in the way or tipping someone off. She looks at Kamorkas curiously as he casts his spell, but doesn't say anything.

    "Hopefully she'll be able to signal us if something happens inside...

    We didn't really plan this through, did we? Ah, well, at least we know what to improve for the next step I suppose."

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Kat

    Yargin nods at Kat's explanation, but frowns as she finishes. He steeples his fingers in front of himself. The gnome looks like he's smelled something foul.

    "I'm afraid there must be a mistake," Yargin says. "You see, there was an inspection just two days ago, regarding the same matter."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kat can tell that Yargin is lying.


    Xen

    The purse has clearly been torn open, with roughly half remaining. The inside is mangled, as if it had been sliced multiple times, with bits of fabric torn open in a way that suggests the purse once held some sort of hidden pocket or similar, which was then destroyed and emptied.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Kat frowns in confusion and turns to write a note in her book. As she does, she whispers "Hit a wall. Tryin' to lie to keep me out. Got something they want hidden. Get on up closer to the building." Turning back, she perks up with a big grin. "Really? Well, that's a long walk for nothing. Happens more than I'd care for, but I'm not going to complain about my job bein' done for me. Who was it who did the inspection, do you remember? They'll tan my hide and make someone else come out if I can't at least point them to the right paperwork..."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bluff: 1d20+3[/roll]

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    "We didn't", Kamorkas replies. "It's not like I've ever done this kind of thing before..." He grins apologetically. He goes to call on Xen, "Found anything?" Just then, he's interrupted by Kat's urgent whisper.

    "Uh-oh. Looks like she's going to need help soon. Let's get closer, hopefully they're busy with her and won't take note..." As he walks towards the old fishery at a purposefully unhurried pace, he messages back: "Got it. Moving now."
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Kamorkas in Curse of the Crimson Throne | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Astaria nods as she moves to follow Kamorkas. "Well, that didn't take long at all." she says with a soft chuckle.

    Despite her attitude, she's wary of the situation, keeping her eyes on the books and crannies of streets, feeling slightly paranoid as she watches for observers.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Xen tosses the purse back into the water and wordlessly follows Kamorkas. If something is about to go down, she hopes that Kat is smart enough to not get herself cornered inside.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Kat

    "Oh, the inspector, that was..." Yargin trails off, and the gnome steps forwards.

    "Rhenzig. Stoneknuckle," he says. The dog tenses up at the first, and 'Stoneknuckle' results in a growl, as the gnome points to Kat. "Git 'er!"

    "So much for subtlety," Yargin sighs, reaching into a coat pocket as the dog lunges forwards, getting to the chair and unleashing what's doubtless the opening to a chorus of barks, loud enough to be heard by the others approaching from outside.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well, that was one slim margin - you folks won initiative with an average of 14.25 vs 14! So, you're up!



    (Quick explanation - the red line is the rickety wooden rail around the edge of the ramp. The thin stone-looking things are walls, even though the fishery is made of wood.)
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Kat's hackles go up as soon as the dog rises, and she reacts quickly, if mostly on instinct, stepping back and giving the door a hefty kick. "I made all that up whole cloth, Yargin. You're not half as clever as you think you are, and I ain't alone. You oughta give up, save yourselves the mischief. And you, mutt, hush." Her big polearm was an awkward fit for the little office, but it did give her the reach to swing over the desk and try to give the dog a good thwack.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Five-foot step toward the door.
    Free because of BAB: Draw lucerne hammer.
    Move: Open the door.
    Standard: Attack vs the dog: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d12+3)[5] bashing
    Last edited by Miss_Adventure; 2019-07-12 at 03:14 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Xen darts into action, her tail grasping her wand as she does so. A few flicks and she's surrounded by an invisible barrier, just in time for her to burst through the now-open door and join Kat in facing the trio of bastards.

    "Surprise," she deadpans, as she readies her fists.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    "That's it! Can't say I'm surprised." Kamorkas's black braid twitches, the tip hovering unnaturally in the air as the excitement of danger makes his skin crawl. He hustles to the door, surveying the scene with half-closed eyes. "You! Stop it! Leave her alone! I'm sure a nap will do you a lot of good..." He focuses for a second, his piercing gaze never leaving the man who appears to be the thug leader, and his clothes' musky smell becomes a little stronger suddenly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to the door, behind Kat.
    Slumber Hex on Yargin, Will DC16 or fall asleep for 2 rounds.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-07-12 at 09:11 PM.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Kamorkas in Curse of the Crimson Throne | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Astaria follows the others to the door, drawing her bow and nocking an arrow as she moves. She glances inside, but with all the clutter and bodies crammed inside makes no effort to even draw the bow.

    "Hmm... I think I may need wait this one out."

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    As the group joins the fray, Kat's attack strikes the dog, leaving it barely standing. Yargin's eyes drift closed for a moment, but he quickly snaps out of it, seeming just as alert as before.

    Yargin pulls a wand from his coat, aiming it at Kamorkas. "Let's see if this does you any good!" He declares, giving the wand a swish...and nothing happens. As he shakes it wildly, spewing profanity at it and everyone else present, the gnome shrieks his own invectives, aimed primarily at Kat.

    "Bloo, get 'er! I'll hack miss guardsie up for ya t'eat later!" The gnome growls, and the dog dashes forwards at Xen, jaws closing wildly but only on thin air. The gnome retreats out of Kat's reach, pulling a kukri from his belt and advancing again, ending up in front of Yargin.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Your moves again!

    Yargin saved against the spell, the dog took damage, the dog missed as it tried to attack Xen. The gnome used a Withdraw action to avoid taking an AoO while moving out of Kat's reach.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Xen punches the stupid dog.

    (1d20+6)[13] (1d6+4)[8]
    (1d20+6)[7] (1d6+2)[4]
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2019-07-13 at 03:33 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Astaria moves forward a bit to where she has a better view of what's going on inside, but after seeing Yargin try to use the wand, she decides the time for caution has passed. This time she actually draws the arrow, firing it at Yargin.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Moving forward 10ft and left 5 feet to be within 30ft for Point-Blank Shot, and with minimal cover for Yargin.
    Attack - (1d20+8)[14], Damage - (1d8+1)[5].

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    The gnome's retreat had been too quick for her to react, but for the moment, he was stuck, backed up against Yargin. Kat held her ground, trying to shield Kamorkas from whatever nastiness Yargin was trying to conjure, and lunging forward to impale the gnome on the long spike that topped her hammer. "Try me, pipsqueak!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage: [1d12+3[/roll] Rolled in the OOC. Result of 14 piercing.
    Last edited by Miss_Adventure; 2019-07-13 at 05:39 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    "Don't you think your luck is running out?" Kamorkas snarls at Yargin. The tip of his braid points at his opponent in an eerie, upsetting manner..

    Spoiler
    Show
    No move. Evil Eye hex over Yargin, -2 to AC for 8 rounds, or 1 round if he makes a DC16 Will wave.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Kamorkas in Curse of the Crimson Throne | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Xen swiftly finishes off the dog, while Kat's weapon stabs into the gnome, who lets out a loud shriek and spray of curses.

    Yargin sneers at Kamorkas. "Luck? I hardly need...luck," he says, though a shudder goes through him, his movements growing clumsier just in time for Astaria's arrow to strike him in the shoulder. He raises the wand again, flourishing it at Astaria with naked rage...only for nothing to happen. "NO!" He shouts, swearing and hurling the wand to the floor before pulling out a crossbow to use in its stead. The gnome advances under Kat's reach, but his hasty swipe does nothing but slide off her armor.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Partial cover was going to save Yargin from that arrow, but the -2 AC from Evil Eye cancelled it out and he got hit. The blue bar above him is the number of rounds left on the AC debuff. Not that I expect him to live for 7 more rounds, but you know.


    Updated combat map.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2019-07-16 at 07:22 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Ayumi flicks some blood off of her fist and darts across the room, hopping over the corpse of the dog and using the chair as a stepping stone to deliver a leaping knee to the cornered Yargin.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Charge (Dragon Style)
    Nonlethal unarmed attack: (1d20+8)[25] (1d6+6)[12]
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2019-07-16 at 07:31 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    "Suit y'self. But if you ask me, the only way you're not going to need a heck of a lot of luck is if you surrender", is Kamorkas' reply. "Now... How about... you?" he adds, locking gaze with the gnome, as the braid now points menacingly at the smaller enemy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, it worked beautifully! Let's go for more.
    No move. Evil Eye hex over the gnome, -2 to AC for 8 rounds, or 1 round if he makes a DC16 Will wave.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Kamorkas in Curse of the Crimson Throne | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Fully aware that she was going to get shanked in the kidneys if she stayed in close with the gnome, Kat slides backwards and takes another swing at the tenacious foe, this time twisting the hammer so he'd get a flat crack across the jaw and not a spike through the skull. "The dog was the smartest person in this room. Stand down, last chance!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Standard: Attack the gnome.
    Attack, Non-lethal: (1d20+2)[20]
    Damage: (1d12+3)[11], bashing

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Xen's charge ends with Yargin collapsing, her knee sending him tumbling into the wall and then to the floor. The gnome is stopped mid-swear by Kat's strike, falling onto his face as quiet descends on the room.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Eyy, first fight won!

    Everyone gets 235 XP from that.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    And just like that, the fight is over. Kamorkas suddenly realizes he's in a sweat and out of breath, even though there was barely time for any exertion on his part. Phew.

    He looks at the fallen opponents, makes an appreciative face. "Looks like those cards of Zellara's, they ain't lying. You gals are the right ones to be with, on this crazy idea. I dunno what he was trying to do with his wand, a good thing he couldn't pull it off... And you got them alive, too! We gonna have questions for these guys..."
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Kamorkas in Curse of the Crimson Throne | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Xen wordlessly sets about securing the two unconscious fellows with bindings made of their own clothing. She searches them as she does so.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crimson Throne's Curse [IC]

    Binding the unconscious men is easy enough, and their belongings sorted through without further issue. The following emerges from the search:

    • Yargin's dropped wand, slender and made of light-colored wood, with what looks like burn marks around the tip.
    • Three vials of acid (helpfully kept in a small pouch labelled 'acid')
    • A stone with a symbol carved onto it; Astaria recognizes it as the dwarven symbol for 'thunder'
    • A light crossbow, with ten bolts
    • A trio of keys - one brass, two iron (one iron key on Yargin, one on the gnome)
    • A garnet amulet
    • Twenty-five gold pieces (total)
    • A finely-made kukri
    • A small box of various one-use items that make disguising oneself easier (Disguise Kit)
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •