New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: OOTS #1168 - The Discussion Thread

My introduction to wargaming was Avalon Hills Gettysburg. Until the Baton Rouge flood three years ago I still had Tactics II and Third Reich.

We started playing D and D as a small unit tactical game.

So, yeah, I am fine with adversarial games. I like to win, but I would rather lose to a better player than not play.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I'm not concerned about failure being an issue: I'm concerned about inter-player conflict potentially causing issues, issues that my socially-inept ass would be ill-equipped to deal with. I mean, I don't even like games that frame THE DM's role as primarily adversarial in nature: PVP? Forget about it.
    This reminds me of my experiences in Japanese language P&P RPG communities. There's a great deal of aversion to intra-player conflict, even non-violent conflict, embedded in the culture, to the point people would avoid it even when I was deliberately trying to push characters with opposing philosophies towards each other.

Adversarial GMs, on the other hand... actually a friend in the Shadowrun group I've been hanging out in for years has been complaining about his Pathfinder DM being adversarial and metagaming with their enemies.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

So I don't know if this has been pointed out but the specific instructions given to the dominated clan head was " Vote yes on the main proposal and follow any verbal instructions given to you by a vampire".

So if the good guys manage to keep the vampire from talking this could all be solved by Dvalin asking the question in the right way. Like "should i vote to not blow up the world".

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by canpinter View Post
    So I don't know if this has been pointed out but the specific instructions given to the dominated clan head was " Vote yes on the main proposal and follow any verbal instructions given to you by a vampire".

So if the good guys manage to keep the vampire from talking this could all be solved by Dvalin asking the question in the right way. Like "should i vote to not blow up the world".
    They would have to use force to keep her from speaking, and attacking anyone is strictly forbidden.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    They would have to use force to keep her from speaking, and attacking anyone is strictly forbidden.
    They could just distract her while everyone else is voting. Vampires can in fact be distracted like anyone else, and quite easily! If you attack someone from outside and it hits inside the barrier, does it still turn you to stone...?

It'd work, it's just not going to be what will happen.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #396
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    You forget the most powerful force of all - the filibuster.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Not to be confused with the Phylabuster. I'm not sure how it affects the entire field of Taxonomy, but we should just be glad there's no Chordata setting.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Filibustering only works when a supermajority is required in order to proceed. If the rules require only a simple majority, then it is not a useful tactic.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    Filibustering only works when a supermajority is required in order to proceed. If the rules require only a simple majority, then it is not a useful tactic.
    Hank Hill disagrees.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #400

Simplest solution is to pester and annoy the vampire during the endless position speeches that she loses her temper and does something to break the rules, resulting in her being petrified. Then you swing to a reworded question that makes the dominated councilors work for you. Of course, nobody else knows what the terms of their orders are, so you can't game that. And again, it means that the title characters are about as relevant as teats on a boar.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I am betting that Durkon knows the rules and uses them to his advantage rather than finding a workaround.

The workaround will be Hilgyas solution.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by canpinter View Post
    I don't think you need verbal instructions to change your orders on a Dominated victim.

Right. It's telepathic. So if they stopped her from talking in a way that left her able to think, she could change the orders for anyone she had personally dominated. The Sandy-haired one and the Etrarch would have to be made aware of it before they could change up the orders on the ones they dominated though.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

13. - Top - End - #403
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I don't think you need verbal instructions to change your orders on a Dominated victim.

Right. It's telepathic. So if they stopped her from talking in a way that left her able to think, she could change the orders for anyone she had personally dominated. The Sandy-haired one and the Etrarch would have to be made aware of it before they could change up the orders on the ones they dominated though.
    Given the emphasis they put on the fact that talking to Elders to give them new orders wouldn't violate the rules, I wonder if telepathic contact via a domination effect might actually be something the builders of this place took into account (and didn't as they Ex-Arch speculated, leave available as a backdoor for themselves).

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Given the emphasis they put on the fact that talking to Elders to give them new orders wouldn't violate the rules, I wonder if telepathic contact via a domination effect might actually be something the builders of this place took into account (and didn't as they Ex-Arch speculated, leave available as a backdoor for themselves).
    No, I think this is just covering their bases, this allows any vampire to give order to any Elder, just in case rthater than requiring the right vampire for the right dwarf.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Given the source that Zimmerwald quotes says he flunked the botany, linguistics, and zoology portions of the exam, definitely not. And the less said about his tactical knowledge when contrasted with that of a woman entering a religious order, the better.
    I'll get you a cup of cofee at the commisariat. But only if you ever sat agee.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    This reminds me of my experiences in Japanese language P&P RPG communities.
    Do you like Golden Sky Stories? I played it a few months ago and really enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    My introduction to wargaming was Avalon Hills Gettysburg. Until the Baton Rouge flood three years ago I still had Tactics II and Third Reich.
    I think I still have my copy of Tactic II somewhere. Need to check the attic. Have Waterloo and D Day still on the shelf.
    We started playing D&D partly because in our group, getting all seven of us to play at one time was hard with the games we had.
    (And we played 1914 once, the three people on the german side and 4 people on the allied side, and that game took weeks to complete. )
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-07-08 at 02:36 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    (And we played 1914 once, the three people on the german side and 4 people on the allied side, and that game took weeks to complete. )
    The first time that game was played, it was publicized and lots more people were playing and it took a lot longer

-Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #407
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Do you like Golden Sky Stories? I played it a few months ago and really enjoyed it.
    Never had a chance to play it, but I like the idea a lot.
    Last edited by Doctor West; 2019-07-08 at 10:23 PM.