New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Do non-European descended countries call the planets by their Latin name?

So i know that other ancient cultures have their own words for the planetes that went across the sky. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, etc.. All have their own local names. I am not sure how much they are still in use.

But when it comes to refering not to the dot in the sky, but the actual astronomical planet (I know, they are the same, but the application is different). Like, does the Chinese Space Agency talk about Mars, or 火星 (Huǒxīng)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Do non-European descended countries call the planets by their Latin name?

Can't say I'm from a non-European descended bit of the world, (we had to kick out another European descended people out before settling here) but...Wouldn't the actual language they are speaking at the time matter? I mean, if it is a paper meant for global distribution English stands a good chance of being used, while if one guy is chatting to another guy I'd imagine they'd use their native language. So I imagine a lot of it would be determined by the language used at the time? Or do scientists flip flop as needed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Do non-European descended countries call the planets by their Latin name?

I know that when pilots are talking to air traffic controllers, they use english even none of the people involved or the countries they live in use english as the native language. It's just a lot easier to have one language when dealing with international issues, and english wound up being it.

I'd imagine that similarly, chinese astronomers would have reason to talk to indian, russian, german, etc. astronomers, and everybody agreeing on "mars" would be the easiest all around.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    It's just a lot easier to have one language when dealing with international issues, and english wound up being it.
    It's also a lot safer, especially when there are rules in place that everyone knows and follows. For example, no air traffic controller will ever use the word "takeoff" when talking to a plane's crew unless he is actually giving them clearance to take off--for all other purposes he will use the word "departure" instead, e.g. "Flight XYZ, are you ready for departure?". They learned that from accidents caused by pilots misunderstanding and assuming they had clearance to go when they did not.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

The easiest way to answer would be through Wikipedia. For example, the Greeks use modern Greek names for the planets (which means that Mercury is called Ermes, and Jupiter is called Dias, the modern Greek name for Zeus).

Of course, Greek is European. If I search for Jupiter in Vietnamese, I get Sao Mộc. Europa, however, is called Europa (vệ tinh). In Kiswahili, Jupiter is "Mshtarii (pia M****eri, Mushtarii au Mshatira[1], kutokana na Kiarabu "المشتري" al-mshtari; na hata Jupita kutokana na Kiingereza Jupiter[2])"

I frankly have no idea about space agencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Can't say I'm from a non-European descended bit of the world, (we had to kick out another European descended people out before settling here) but...Wouldn't the actual language they are speaking at the time matter? I mean, if it is a paper meant for global distribution English stands a good chance of being used, while if one guy is chatting to another guy I'd imagine they'd use their native language. So I imagine a lot of it would be determined by the language used at the time? Or do scientists flip flop as needed?
    This is what I think as well. Over here we have our own words for the days of the week and the celestial bodies; we use the English names when speaking English and the Malay names when speaking Malay. It never even occurred to me that it might work any other way.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    however, is called Europa (vệ tinh)

vệ tinh means natural satellite, like Earth's natural satellite is the moon.
    tinh (星) means celestial object, but it's not a word on its own.

In Vietnamese, each syllable is separated by a space regardless if it is part of a polysyllabic word or not.
    Last edited by HouseRules; 2019-06-24 at 04:17 PM.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character