New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default High Republic II: Rising Stars and Falling Storms

Sup folks.

Theoriginal thread didn't get that much traction, but it's too old to revive and I still want to talk about this, so here we are.

Light of the Jedi was okay, while I strongly disliked Into the Dark. Recently I got Rising Storm out of my local library, and I felt like inflicting my opinions on the public, as we all know this forum doesn't talk about Star Wars enough. So, without further ado,

Spoiler: Rising Storm, full spoilers
    Show

Spoiler: Republic Fair
    Show

The writing has taken a big step up from the previous instalments, but the premise is fairly flimsy. Basically the Chancellor is throwing a giant exhibition about how great the Republic is. The Nihil object to this.

They don't know the Nihil still exist in force, but even in peacetime things like the Chancellor's teenage son wandering off with a pretty local boy seem unlikely. It feels like there'd be a dedicated guard assigned to follow him around.

There are also a bunch of floating islands that house exhibits. And, by the way, one of the exhibits involves some of the most dangerous apex predators in the galaxy. Some of them inevitably get loose.

There's a subplot about trying to get a message out to call for help through Nihil jamming, but it's also established that the whole event is broadcast live to the galaxy. If every feed suddenly cuts from the Olympics during the opening ceremony, the world is going to know something is wrong.

The Chancellor also has two giant lions that she brings everywhere as pets and bodyguards, which sounds like a diplomatic incident waiting to happen (Oops, we accidentally ate the Toydarian ambassador) but it works out.

Spoiler: Jedi and Nihil
    Show

The Nihil attack with a giant cloud of gas that may be poisonous but in other times are just fog. While that does make sense, one of the standard novice Jedi exercises is fighting blind (I'm not just going by the movies there, in this book Bell mentions it.)

If Avar Criss is there she can pinpoint and co-ordinate everyone through the Force, but she's off fighting the Nihil so they can't co-ordinate until comm traffic comes back.

The Nihil are basically always horribly disadvantaged in battle against Jedi, but they actually do a fairly good job accommodating for this, being big, drugged up, numbers,and taking advantage of Jedi willingness to accept surrenders.

The scheming among the Nihil leaders is more engaging for me because there's back and forth, Marchion Ro tries and fails to kill one of his subordinates twice. He's not actually brilliant in a fight and he knows it, so has to do a lot of scheming and tricks.

He does, however, get hold of something called The Leveler, which goes pointedly undescribed except for that it has claws, and a camera grafted into its back. Marchion can control it with a mystery glowing rod, and it appears to be able to turn Force sensitives to dust somehow and sever their connection to the Force.

There's also a mystery machine prototype that disables energy weapons that get near it, including lightsabres. In this book an inventor tries to sell it to the Republic Senator agitating for a standing army, assuming that he is plotting against the Jedi.

Senator: Wait, so you're trying to sell me, an official that wants to strengthen Republic defences, a tool to undermine the Republic's defences? Also, that is a radioactive biohazard!

Inventor: Let me show you how it works. (Has bodyguard draw weapon)

(Senator's bodyguard draws weapon)

(Three Jedi crash through the ceiling)

Presumably, the Nihil eventually get hold of the thing.

Meanwhile, the Drengir are offhandedly mentioned to be consuming entire worlds. We follow 6-8 different protagonists, primarily Jedi as the Nihil attack the Republic Fair.

Stellan Gios is the most interesting lead, as from everyone else's perspective he is slightly disrespected even by his best friends, most people think he loves the limelight, but then we get his perspective and it turns out he more or less hates his assignment as basically the Jedi PR guy, but since it has to be done he'll do his best.

Ty Yorrick is another of those 'not a Jedi on a technicality' types, her primary distinguishing feature is that she's rude. Via a mental link she gets a glimpse of someone's ex lover, and comments on how hot they are. That's immediately unlikeable for me.

Bell Zettifer's Master is believed dead but captive by the Nihil, so he has been assigned to someone else, together with his Charhound Ember (basically Growlithe, or fire breathing dog if you don't get the reference)

Spoiler: Overall
    Show

Writing is pretty good, but it's hard to work with this premise. The Leveller seems cheap to me, but we'll see what they do with it going forward.
    Seems like there may be a little bit of tug of war between the authors, the big slogan for LOTJ was 'We are all the Republic' in this one it is 'For Light and Life'. Characterisations drift a bit, naturally enough, but
    I think some of these authors are more 'the Jedi need to be fixed' than others.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thumbs down Re: High Republic II: Rising Stars and Falling Storms

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    this forum doesn't talk about Star Wars enough.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-24 at 05:50 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: High Republic II: Rising Stars and Falling Storms

So Old Republic retconned now?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: High Republic II: Rising Stars and Falling Storms

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    So Old Republic retconned now?
    Like just about everything else in the EU pre-Disney, yes. But technically, unless directly contradicted it still exists in a nebulous quasi-canon state (High Republic takes place a couple of centuries before the prequels, Old Republic was about 3000 years earlier), and current authors can take stuff from it for their own works.

However, there is a remake of the original Knights of the Old Republic game supposedly in the works that would presumably be nu-canon.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2022-01-24 at 07:23 PM.