New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

More seriously: then use this thread as a resource to find more anime you want. I asked for recommendations on page 4, and there was a huge number of responses that I'm (kinda) working through (right now, I'm watching Sound Euphonium; it's a bit slow/low-stakes, even for slice-of-life, but with solid characterization, music, and animation).
    Last edited by uncool; 2019-08-21 at 10:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

As someone who doesn't watch JoJo, heres what I gather:
    • These may look like grown men, but they are Like 15
    • People have "Stands" which are like.imaginary friends with superpowers. I'm not sure if they're born with them or develop them, but that's how the combat goes about.
    • Somebody can stop time. In fact, any time there's a trippy time stop effect, it is in actuality a JoJo reference.
    • Dio Brando is the worst.
    • There is... well, was... a dog named Danny.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    More seriously: then use this thread as a resource to find more anime you want. I asked for recommendations on page 4, and there was a huge number of responses that I'm (kinda) working through (right now, I'm watching Sound Euphonium; it's a bit slow/low-stakes, even for slice-of-life, but with solid characterization, music, and animation).
    Indeed, a huge amount of anime is currently available to watch for free, including a large number of high quality older shows, scattered across the various streaming websites. So long as you have a genre in mind it should be easy to find any number of shows of interest.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    • People have "Stands" which are like.imaginary friends with superpowers. I'm not sure if they're born with them or develop them, but that's how the combat goes about.
    • Somebody can stop time. In fact, any time there's a trippy time stop effect, it is in actuality a JoJo reference.
    Also everything is named after western classic rock stuff, but they can't say any of it because copyrights. That's all I got.

I may never watch Jojo ever, and part of the reason - part of it, not all - is that pretty much everybody won't stop talking about it.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Also everything is named after western classic rock stuff, but they can't say any of it because copyrights. That's all I got.

I may never watch Jojo ever, and part of the reason - part of it, not all - is that pretty much everybody won't stop talking about it.
    I pretty much checked out when they had a character literally named R.E.O. Speedwagon.

I've also never been able to take the art style seriously. There's buff, there's ridiculously over-the-top buff, there's Armstrong buff, and then there's Jojo buff.

I realize those sound like shallow reasons, but there's just...something...about the show that I find unsettling. Another show that I've tried to get into a couple of times because of its huge fanbase and it being in my general genre, but for whatever reason it just didn't click.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I've also never been able to take the art style seriously. There's buff, there's ridiculously over-the-top buff, there's Armstrong buff, and then there's Jojo buff.
    And then there's Machio buff (maybe NSFW)

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

I realize those sound like shallow reasons, but there's just...something...about the show that I find unsettling. Another show that I've tried to get into a couple of times because of its huge fanbase and it being in my general genre, but for whatever reason it just didn't click.
    so, same reason I don't like One Piece: all the character designs look creepy to me, nothing clicks, and some of the characters act like aliens wearing human skin?

yeah I can see that, though I personally like Jojos
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-08-22 at 08:47 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean "FotNS is a bit too manly so we de-machoed it by about half?"

Anyone, no muscle man has anything on the Crusher.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Also they're gloriously flamboyant in their absurd fashion designs. Especially Part 3 onwards.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Berserk 359
    Show
    She's finally back.

After 23 years.

Casca's back.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Show
    She's finally back.

After 23 years.

Casca's back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And yet, at the same time... she's still so far away.

Guts being a literal, walking reminder of that nightmare is truly horrifying. He did all of this, all to save her, and... in the end they can't even be in the same room without everything rushing back.

I think the Black Swordsman is going to become a lone wanderer once again.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show
    So the another is starting another series, that should be interesting considering his current schedule slippage.

Hmm it's possible Guts might go off on his own and he'll probably try but I think he's grown past that point and he will end up taking another path, I'm not sure if the Skull knight will be the one to talk him round or if he will try and encourage him to go off on his own. Either way I look forward to it.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Also they're gloriously flamboyant in their absurd fashion designs. Especially Part 3 onwards.
    Fun fact: Araki comes up with character designs in large part by looking through Gucci catalogues.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Fortunately for those who aren't big fans of the uber-buff JoJo characters, after Part 3 almost everyone starts looking a bit more natural.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bard's Requiem View Post
    Fortunately for those who aren't big fans of the uber-buff JoJo characters, after Part 3 almost everyone starts looking a bit more natural.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And then there's Jotaro.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Show
    So the another is starting another series, that should be interesting considering his current schedule slippage.

Didn't he already do that with giganto maxia or is there another new series?

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I can slowly put into words why Machikado Mazoku has slowly creeped upwards to become my favorite show of the season. As in, the one I enjoy the most and like thinking about the most. It creeps up on you like that, pretending to be slice of life magical girl parody fluff, but it's so good at being fluffy and funny that it can slip in some heavy implications underneath. Not, like, Madoka Magica heavy - but there are parallels.

Maybe people who've seen Hitoribocchi last season can relate. As funny as Bocchi is, she's extremely lucky that her school appears to be entirely composed of perfectly nice people who take all of her weirdness in stride. That doesn't really bother me, though - as someone who doesn't make friends easily, is low-key afraid of strangers, and has a tendency to go full loner, it's comforting to see her succeed. Makes me think I might, too.

Machikado Mazoku features a deuteragonist who, as far as I can tell, is legitimately lonesome and depressed. As in, she has difficulty expressing emotion, she neglects herself and subsists on junk food, and as far as we can tell has neither relatives nor friends and lives on her own. She still does her job, but she's long since lost the passion for it, and only persists out of a sense of duty, and probably because she doesn't know what else she would do with her life otherwise. But it's okay, you know? Because just like Bocchi, she finally gets to make friends - in a clumsy, humorous fashion, but it's no less heartwarming for it.

I'm not saying it's the best show of the season, but it's the one I'm most likely to immediately rewatch, for sure.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    And then there's Jotaro.
    There's a reason the new Invader Zim movie parodies Jotaro specifically.

The Joestar genes are TOO STRONG. Thankfully for the world they become diluted over the years.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I think I can slowly put into words why Machikado Mazoku has slowly creeped upwards to become my favorite show of the season. As in, the one I enjoy the most and like thinking about the most. It creeps up on you like that, pretending to be slice of life magical girl parody fluff, but it's so good at being fluffy and funny that it can slip in some heavy implications underneath. Not, like, Madoka Magica heavy - but there are parallels.

Maybe people who've seen Hitoribocchi last season can relate. As funny as Bocchi is, she's extremely lucky that her school appears to be entirely composed of perfectly nice people who take all of her weirdness in stride. That doesn't really bother me, though - as someone who doesn't make friends easily, is low-key afraid of strangers, and has a tendency to go full loner, it's comforting to see her succeed. Makes me think I might, too.

Machikado Mazoku features a deuteragonist who, as far as I can tell, is legitimately lonesome and depressed. As in, she has difficulty expressing emotion, she neglects herself and subsists on junk food, and as far as we can tell has neither relatives nor friends and lives on her own. She still does her job, but she's long since lost the passion for it, and only persists out of a sense of duty, and probably because she doesn't know what else she would do with her life otherwise. But it's okay, you know? Because just like Bocchi, she finally gets to make friends - in a clumsy, humorous fashion, but it's no less heartwarming for it.

I'm not saying it's the best show of the season, but it's the one I'm most likely to immediately rewatch, for sure.
    We haven't seen enough of her in her private life unfortunately. The show mostly has focused on Shamiko, so I'm hoping these last few will give us more on our unusually nice magical girl

20. - Top - End - #380

Manga update for series that don't deserve their own threads!

There's a new manga series called "Mission: Yozakura Family" which seems like a decent romance series with some action. It's got some interesting comedy, but the protagonist is good, but otherwise it's just kind of okay.

The Last Saiyuki has finally been cancelled. I didn't notice when but I wanted to announce loudly that it is, so Shonen Jump is safe from having a gross loli bait series for a few months at least.

That's about it.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Watched Children oif the Whales 4-6...

Spoiler
    Show
    The sheer amount of What Even The Hell in the first episode of the three is jaw-dropping.

The council of Elders (actually, mostly this one bloke) is like "hey, the people who attacked us were from our country and banished our ancestors, now they want to kill us, so instead, let's commit mass suicide!"

I.. Don't... EVEN.

This plan, of course utterly fails, because immediately one of the old men in the councol says to Suoh, the chap who sister was killed last time and whom they have elcted mayor "don't listen to them I wanna die!" (Real unanimous, then...) The only reason the plan geys further than that (because Suoh clearly has about as much intention of doing that as I do of taking up ballet-dancing) is because the current captain of Vigilantes (the militia) who has a literal death-wish conks him one the head.

Funnily enough, the little girl in the room tells the protagonist Chakky (that's what the New Best Character, one of the miliatia's delitfuly crazy Miss Ginshu calls him, anyway) and he gets a load of folk to go stop it. The plan is, like, murder the eldritch emotion-eater at the heart of the ship that no-one knew about except for the elders and Lykos. Funnilt enough, after Lykos trhows herself in front ot it, and the ship rocks about after the first volley of arrows, and Chakky explaisn what's going on, all the other Vigiliantes are like "um, yeah, NO," and that's that. The captain is disappointed because he a complete tool and that specific sort of coward that wants to die because "it's too hard to live."

Suoh basically now takes charges and say "we're gonna fight te bad guys and kill ther eldtritch-empotion eating horror and sink their ship, and then maybe we can find someone not in this country but one of the other countries...

FOR THE LOVE OF CRAP, ANIME, I DON'T CARE IF IT'S THE DUB OR THE SUB, FOR THE LOVE OF THE LICHEMASTER, MAKE UP SOME FREAKING COUNTRY NAMES AND STOP SAYING CRAP LIKE "THIS COUNTRY" AND "THAT OTHER COUNTRY!"

It wa funny once in Naruto, where the countries were literally called This and That, but that was, if not an actual joke, something that became one.

Anyway, now they have to train all the children to fight (because all the people obver, like 25 with magic powers get really weak).

The thing that killed me most was Suoh being confused at why the old mayor's attachés just went in and declared themselves his staff regardless of what the council of elders might have said. Dude, I think at the point their LITERAL FIRST SOLUTION was "let's sink the ship and kill everyone" that, just maybe, no-one is going to think their opinion is worth SPIT.

Oh, also the little girl is a twin and has some sort of angel wings and might be the daughter of the eldritch-emotion-eating horror. Except this one on the Mud Whale doens't eat emotions, and the reason for th Mud Whale's banishment was because they WOULDN'T have their emotions eaten.

Ye fracking gods, is DANZO in charge of the empire? seems like his kind of mindless stupidity.

Anway, the litrle girls are probably necromancers, beause she like, summons the dead lass, Sammy, and old mayor from last week to be all cryptic at Chakky. Also, Sammy gives Chakky a ghost-snog and says "I was totally going to hit that," which is I suppose a rather unique experience for what one presmes was his first kiss, and also a rather depressing one, since apparently he felt the same way. Still, closure, I guess?

Oh, and on the eve of battle, Mr Captain dude tells huis wife she better be prepared to kill herself, because he wouldn't want her to leave a corpse that wasn't beautiful. The he walks off, giving no fracks while she falls to her knees crying.

Yeah, I'mma think you ought to have a divorce, duck; sounds like more than enough grounds as it is.

I think my issue with this is going to be it is seems like it is going to be rather hard to wrap this up in another six episodes, it feels like this is sort of the first arc. Sure, they'll knobble the enemy ship in the next episode or two, but that only leaves fou episodes to, like, beat the empire and/or find somewhere to escape to. So might be a bit of wet fart of an ending; we'll see.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-08-27 at 09:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Watched Children oif the Whales 4-6...

Spoiler
    Show
    The sheer amount of What Even The Hell in the first episode of the three is jaw-dropping.

The council of Elders (actually, mostly this one bloke) is like "hey, the people who attacked us were from our country and banished our ancestors, now they want to kill us, so instead, let's commit mass suicide!"

I.. Don't... EVEN.

This plan, of course utterly fails, because immediately one of the old men in the councol says to Suoh, the chap who sister was killed last time and whom they have elcted mayor "don't listen to them I wanna die!" (Real unanimous, then...) The only reason the plan geys further than that (because Suoh clearly has about as much intention of doing that as I do of taking up ballet-dancing) is because the current captain of Vigilantes (the militia) who has a literal death-wish conks him one the head.

Funnily enough, the little girl in the room tells the protagonist Chakky (that's what the New Best Character, one of the miliatia's delitfuly crazy Miss Ginshu calls him, anyway) and he gets a load of folk to go stop it. The plan is, like, murder the eldritch emotion-eater at the heart of the ship that no-one knew about except for the elders and Lykos. Funnilt enough, after Lykos trhows herself in front ot it, and the ship rocks about after the first volley of arrows, and Chakky explaisn what's going on, all the other Vigiliantes are like "um, yeah, NO," and that's that. The captain is disappointed because he a complete tool and that specific sort of coward that wants to die because "it's too hard to live."

Suoh basically now takes charges and say "we're gonna fight te bad guys and kill ther eldtritch-empotion eating horror and sink their ship, and then maybe we can find someone not in this country but one of the other countries...

FOR THE LOVE OF CRAP, ANIME, I DON'T CARE IF IT'S THE DUB OR THE SUB, FOR THE LOVE OF THE LICHEMASTER, MAKE UP SOME FREAKING COUNTRY NAMES AND STOP SAYING CRAP LIKE "THIS COUNTRY" AND "THAT OTHER COUNTRY!"

It wa funny once in Naruto, where the countries were literally called This and That, but that was, if not an actual joke, something that became one.

Anyway, now they have to train all the children to fight (because all the people obver, like 25 with magic powers get really weak).

The thing that killed me most was Suoh being confused at why the old mayor's attachés just went in and declared themselves his staff regardless of what the council of elders might have said. Dude, I think at the point their LITERAL FIRST SOLUTION was "let's sink the ship and kill everyone" that, just maybe, no-one is going to think their opinion is worth SPIT.

Oh, also the little girl is a twin and has some sort of angel wings and might be the daughter of the eldritch-emotion-eating horror. Except this one on the Mud Whale doens't eat emotions, and the reason for th Mud Whale's banishment was because they WOULDN'T have their emotions eaten.

Ye fracking gods, is DANZO in charge of the empire? seems like his kind of mindless stupidity.

Anway, the litrle girls are probably necromancers, beause she like, summons the dead lass, Sammy, and old mayor from last week to be all cryptic at Chakky. Also, Sammy gives Chakky a ghost-snog and says "I was totally going to hit that," which is I suppose a rather unique experience for what one presmes was his first kiss, and also a rather depressing one, since apparently he felt the same way. Still, closure, I guess?

Oh, and on the eve of battle, Mr Captain dude tells huis wife she better be prepared to kill herself, because he wouldn't want her to leave a corpse that wasn't beautiful. The he walks off, giving no fracks while she falls to her knees crying.

Yeah, I'mma think you ought to have a divorce, duck; sounds like more than enough grounds as it is.

I think my issue with this is going to be it is seems like it is going to be rather hard to wrap this up in another six episodes, it feels like this is sort of the first arc. Sure, they'll knobble the enemy ship in the next episode or two, but that only leaves fou episodes to, like, beat the empire and/or find somewhere to escape to. So might be a bit of wet fart of an ending; we'll see.
    didn't finish it but i can tell you it brought any positive reviews its gotten.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Im not sure you saw the Beastars trailer but it,s supposed to be on Netflix in October...

I kinda wonder how it will go... I dont think there is a lot of cartoon/anime with lots of blood or "intimate proximity" on Netflix. I hope theyw ills tay close to the manga at least.

Is there other Beastars fan here? I was wondering what kind of roleplaying system we should make a roleplay out of this setting. For those who dont know Beastars, its like a more "realistic" and " mature" version of Zootopia

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I kinda wonder how it will go... I dont think there is a lot of cartoon/anime with lots of blood or "intimate proximity" on Netflix. I hope theyw ills tay close to the manga at least.
    Netflix put out a new Baki the Grappler series; if it's willing to publish that, pretty much anything short of Violence Jack is fair game.

25. - Top - End - #385

Im not sure you saw the Beastars trailer but it,s supposed to be on Netflix in October...

Is there other Beastars fan here? I was wondering what kind of roleplaying system we should make a roleplay out of this setting. For those who dont know Beastars, its like a more "realistic" and " mature" version of Zootopia
    There are in fact many cartoons and such like that on Netflix. There's basically no rules.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    There are in fact many cartoons and such like that on Netflix. There's basically no rules.
    Then I'll need to look at my computer screen a bit better once Im at home. Do a proper research.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just read up to the sloth tattooist chapter, more realistic really needs the "". It is grittier but has loads of nonsense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    him losing his bite strength and getting much stronger other muscles with his not eating meat training, him supercharging by eating that guys foot (also how stupid was that character wise? "lets hide here" "no i will go out and fight him" "then take my foot to power up" you know he didn't have to go out fight him, he could have just said he would rather not fight than do that. Not just going to the police about the bear was already stupid though.), the sloth answering with a multi hour delay but then in real time instead of speaking slowely and him being right there at the right time…
    The manga doesn't really give a **** about making sense .

Entertaining read though.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Watched season one of Amanchu, and it's now second on my favorite iyashikei, next to Yuru Camp. Very aesthetically pleasing, as it should. Great trio of main characters in Pikari, Teko, and the teacher. Can get very emotional at times, as well as good humor. All the things add together for just a super relaxing time. Surprisingly little diving for a show about diving, but the payoff was worth it.

Probably gonna break before watching season 2, because the first half of Carole & Tuesday dropped on Netflix. Three episodes in and it's been pretty good. Clearly a show that was made for western styles. One of those shows where you look around the environment to catch everything. I'm not sure the significance of it taking place on Mars yet, but it doesn't really matter. Also really nice to hear Jeannie Tirado again. I didn't like Grancrest War enough to watch it all, so this is the first time I've heard her since... wow, ReLIFE's OVA? I miss her being in Texas.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-08-30 at 04:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389

All I know about Carole and Tuesday is that it takes place in Cowboy Bebop's universe, and the Mermaids.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I just read up to the sloth tattooist chapter, more realistic really needs the "". It is grittier but has loads of nonsense. The manga doesn't really give a **** about making sense .

Entertaining read though.
    Ok, good point... Ok, its more realistic in the sense that eating meat/proteein is still a need for predators to stay healthy for exemple.

Also, Its proven that if a prredator isnt eating enough meat, its teeth will fall appart. I saw a fun video that explained that technically, Simba in Lion King could have survive adulthood by eating enough termites to satisfy his need for proteins and nutriments. HOWEVER, he would have lose all his teeth and his bite would have become innefective against Scar.

Im guessing the author explored this aspect of a carnivor losing its bite power if he doesnt eat enough meat.

And yes, there is some aspect that doesnt made total sense in the manga. But as you said, its a entertaining read and Legosis is such a entertaining/interessing weirdo. Also, it's fun in the aspect of exploring species unique traits. There is a chapter about hens can take pride in laying eggs for predator's compsumption as a side job for exemple.

EDIT:

Spoiler: Melon's Weakness - My theory
    Show
    I think Melon's weakness is his lack of taste. So poisonning him could work.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-08-30 at 02:21 PM.