The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 451 to 480 of 699
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Obligatory mention: to see Angel Beats without the entertaining silly stuff, but doing the serious parts really well, watch Haibane Renmei.
    I'll be honest - that doesn't sound remotely appealing - to me, at least - when you put it like that.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-09-22 at 08:23 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #452
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ellenate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Kimetsu No Yaiba:
    I'm only on episode 4 and I love it.

    So Kimetsu No Yaiba is the latest hype train victim?

    I see it everywhere and good things are only ever said about it.



    Who organizes these trains?

    where's the love for re zero?


    Is this a sub anime thing? Where people hype up these shows mid season, they fall flat by the end, and people just stop talking about them? Cause when they get dubbed and i get around to them they are usually mediocre at best.


    Loved "attack on titan" though.


    Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, hope you enjoy it!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

  3. - Top - End - #453
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Demon Slayer is a very divisive show in my opinion, with regards to quality. I've seen people talking about it and in terms of characterization, they're basically just reading into utter blank sheets of paper as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing there at all for plot, themes, or characters. But the animation and music is astoundingly good, and I can't deny that.

    For me, that still means nothing. But I understand why others would like it! I do not.

    Also I saw a lot of love for Re: Zero. Back when it was released, which was like what two years ago at this point?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-24 at 04:15 PM.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    So Kimetsu No Yaiba is the latest hype train victim?

    I see it everywhere and good things are only ever said about it.
    It's a Shonen with a modicum of depth as far as the character's morals, which puts it ahead of the pack. Plus the characters are enjoyable and the action is interesting and well animated.

    Just a solid show.



    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Who organizes these trains?

    where's the love for re zero?
    Back in the year it came out? Hype was everywhere for it when it was ongoing.

  5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Man, I'm so over phrases like "hype train victim" and hating on things just because they're popular, or "controversy". I just don't care what problems people have with a show, good things are just good. if people are talking about it, that means it sparked a reaction from people so that they aren't just dead boring robots who work all day and passively let their minds drift into nothing. thats a good thing to me, it means people are thinking.

    let people have their controversy, don't include me in it, I like the show for more than the reasons people dismiss it for, I like my awesome combats, I don't agree about the characters being blank or anything, they're actually pretty human and good, and it reminds me of better anime before all this isekai and harem stuff thats completely bland and uninteresting.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!



  6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    It's a Shonen with a modicum of depth as far as the character's morals, which puts it ahead of the pack. Plus the characters are enjoyable and the action is interesting and well animated.

    Just a solid show.
    Yeah, basically. It's in the "light watching" category I have for stuff that I don't need to think about too hard and isn't likely to be wrenching me about emotionally. At the moment I've got Dr. Stone, Boruto, and A Certain Scientific Accelerator going in that category, and Demon Slayer is the best of those. Dr. Stone is a relaxing watch, but the quality varies wildly from episode to episode. Boruto is basically "Naruto filler: The Show". And Accelerator is an absolutely trashy show which I only watch because Accelerator himself is awesome.

    Most importantly, Demon Slayer passes the most important Shonen test: a likeable main character. Of all the Shonen shows I've ever seen, there's only three others I can think of that qualify for that - Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter X Hunter, and My Hero Academia. And as noted the last time this was discussed, FMA is kind of in its own category here.

  7. - Top - End - #457
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    I mean, in my estimation Demon Slayer is like... bare minimum writing though. The characters are just kinda thin for me, is all. No judgement, just putting my opinion on the series out there.

    @Rodin okay so I LIKE Edward, but I'd be hard pressed to call him LIKABLE, at least at the start of the series. He's an obnoxious brat with super powers and unlimited money. But he's VERY enjoyable a character and he quickly shows why he CAN be likable. But yeah, he's a petty **** at the start of the series. And I love it.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  8. - Top - End - #458
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ellenate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Also I saw a lot of love for Re: Zero. Back when it was released, which was like what two years ago at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Back in the year it came out? Hype was everywhere for it when it was ongoing.

    During the dub release or airing?


    There was a large patch of time were i was under a rock drawing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Man, I'm so over phrases like "hype train victim"

    Hype is bad... unless you're the one that stands to make a profit.

    Death note, one of the most hyped animes of all time, has one of the worst second seasons in anime. A fact that is usually never mentioned. Even the first season gets pretty boring, but this is all drowned out by it's hype.



    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I just don't care what problems people have with a show, good things are just good.

    The reverse is also true. Bleach has one of the best opening arcs, of any anime i've seen, but that all gets drowned out by what follows it.


    People overreact and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. (which is why i prefer to go into animes largely blind)



    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    it reminds me of better anime before all this isekai and harem stuff thats completely bland and uninteresting.

    Isn't that a hypocritical stance considering you don't like the "hype train victim" phrase. Both make wide sweeping judgments based on generalizations.

    saga of tanya the evil (isekai)
    re:zero (harem)


    Are some of the better, newer (dubbed not counting subbed) shows, that i've watched.


    Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, hope you enjoy it!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

  9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    During the dub release or airing?


    There was a large patch of time were i was under a rock drawing.
    Iunno, I never actually watched it. But there was a while when RE:Zero was inescapable. it's STILL held up in shortlists of the best to come out of the Isekai genre.





    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Hype is bad... unless you're the one that stands to make a profit.

    Death note, one of the most hyped animes of all time, has one of the worst second seasons in anime. A fact that is usually never mentioned. Even the first season gets pretty boring, but this is all drowned out by it's hype.
    This logic doesn't really hold up. Hype is great, it's what keeps people watching. The fact that Death Note gets boring at times is ignored because when it's NOT boring (which is most of the time, even in that inferior bottom 1/3 of the series) it's REALLY not boring.


    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Isn't that a hypocritical stance considering you don't like the "hype train victim" phrase. Both make wide sweeping judgments based on generalizations.

    saga of tanya the evil (isekai)
    re:zero (harem)


    Are some of the better, newer (dubbed not counting subbed) shows, that i've watched.
    The context is a bit different since Isekai and Harem shows tend to quite truly have less effort put into them. The genres as a whole are so prominent because they're cheap to acquire licenses for; the studios that mass produce light novel adaptations tend to SEEK OUT properties that were abject failures, because they can snap up the licenses for peanuts, produce them on the cheap, but still make a profit no matter what. Basically the same scam as low budget schlock horror movies.

    The good ones tend to be, shockingly enough, the ones adapted from source material that was already successful, but they tend to be drowned out somewhat by the deluge of similar yet inferior titles released in the same genre each year.

    Basically "hype train" is a vague and meaningless term for the most part, whereas having a general dislike for those genres is just healthy skepticism based on market realities.

  10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Watched Angel Beats 4-6...

    Spoiler
    Show
    So we get one episode about nrh badseball game (because Japan is as big into it as the stats, of course; I meamn, I don't like any sports perio,d but it would be nice if a show did something different than the usual suspects once in a while, and also for the love of the LICHEMASTER, STOP DOING THE "THERE'S ONLY ONE POINT BETWEEN THEMTHING!!!!!" Ye gods, it's worse than Every River Has A Massive Waterfall. At this point, there is ZERO tension in it, and even when they inverted it, it's no impact.

    Still, the major thing this episode was Hinata (not that one) and whether if they won the game he'd disappeared.

    Second episode is Yurippe's brilliant scheme to give Agnel all zeroes in the test, which is hilarious, and apparently works. And, I liked that there was method in Yurippe's madness; her reasoning being if Angel is a human and not an angel under god's order, this will rattle her. It actually does and she gets expelled from being school President. (Because apparently the NPC teachers aren't programmed with pattern recognition...)

    Yui is apparently now the lead singer for Girls Dead Monster and in an inversion to what I expected given the way they show her character is actually pretty damn good (I do like the music, I have to say. I mean, it's not like, top-tier level, but it's definitely good; mostyl because it's supposed to be pulse-pounding by design, so we don't get Sad Song While Everyone Stares Sadly Into The Middle Distance music (FMA '03, looking at you)).

    Angel even shows upo and trie and fails to gtet a ticket for the super-over-spicy tofu that no-one else likes, because she's clearly after comfort food.

    Third episode is the student vice-president going Mad With Power. Apparently, he's not, in fact, an NPC, just a monstrous little sadist whose been keeping it behind doors.

    We see more of Angel - real name Tachibana. Otonachi feels a bit sorry for her, thinking what they did was kind of a Richard move (I mean, yeah). So he casually mentions that spicy wosits she likes adn if she wants to get some and she is there like a shot (which gets them locked up by Vice-Pres) - she forgot the "don't eat during break" rule. Okay, one the one hand, oh dear, she's cracking, on the other, that's a stupid rule, they were even in the designated eating place.

    Anyway, trapped in the cell with Otonachi, he starts to think that she might not be the bad guy. She apparently made the sonic baade for "self-defense." Suuuuure. No, show, we don't get to gloss over the fact that she literally stabbed Otonachi in the chest within five minutes of their meeting, and the fact he did literally ask for it doesn't [i]really[i] mean that is was not COMPLETELY missing every social cue to actually do it.

    Anyway, Otonachi reasonably points out that if she hadn't done that, he might have joined her side at the beginnong, instead of not unreasonably cementing her as the enemy, because she [i]literally stabbed him to death.[i] Uh, no DUH, Tachibana!

    Tachibana then notes that would never happen, because if anyone joins her side and become model students they get obliterated.

    Um... Yeah, okay, that was a quiet bombshell, weren't it?

    I wasn't quite sure, this episode, if it was going to be shown that all of the "NPC verses PC" talk was nonsense and Yurippe was just misguided, but no, it clearly is a thing. Which was making me beg thre question, if they aren't real, why does anyone bother about hurting them? Which the show answers when Naoi is discovered to have not been obliterated despite being a PC and nominally on Angel's side by beating up all the Normal Students behind closed doors. And then going off on one and maasecreing, then trying to obliterate via hypnonis, the Battle Front, thus proving it's not just he's Doing A For The Evlulz run on an RPG. So, I guess show, touchť.



    The show then hilariously gives him another horribly tragic backstory and they do a redemption thing or appear to be trying to, which is funnier than most of the slapstick comedy. Ahahahahaha, he's a sadist, but his backstory is sad, that makes it all okay! Ah, Angel Beats, never change!

    (Seriously, though, Angel's one line of effectively "oh, I can't have friends because they'd be obliterated" carried way more emotional impact than the entire sob-story at the end there, and we still know less about Tachibana.)





    I keep intending go do more Bleakbane Catches Up With Naruto, but, having finished my Stardew Valley Bleakbane plays and the quest-writing for my 40th, I have stupidly started on another 3.Aotrs overhaul (because I haven't done one of those for a bit...), which entails me copying across every class we use to my 3.A document, updating/upgrading (which is mostly Nicking Stuff Right Out Of PF 1) and adding it to all my lists and documents with necessary tweaks and it exploding ot of proportion1) and I keep finishing too late...



    1"Hey, I'll import the PF version of the Soilkinfe, that's so cool, hang-on, that'll make the classes document way too bloated, let's put all the blade skills and move the rage powers and rogue talents and hexes and paladin specialisations and oracle mytseries and such to a new document, well, I suppose first I ought to port more rage powers and Rogue Talents to the barb and rogue, since I didn't pull many in, ah, heck, I really ought to mwrite-up all the SRD classes I've modifed so we have one proper source for it, ah, might as well do all the classes, well, I've started that, let's finishe those rage powers, wait, that needs a new feat, better add that, wait, thats a new type of combat maneouvre, better add that, and another one and another one, well I've done most of them and now that one is a grapple one and now I have to read both sets of grapple rules in 3.5 and PF and work out oh bollocks, there's no avoiding it is there, I'm going to have to just re-write-up the entire grapple rules, aren't I, right that's done, I can deal with that one rage power, now, hurrah, all done, hey, let's finish ranger next, wait that requires a load more feats to port in and..."

    Yah-hah. It's a big project.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-09-24 at 06:54 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

    This logic doesn't really hold up. Hype is great, it's what keeps people watching. The fact that Death Note gets boring at times is ignored because when it's NOT boring (which is most of the time, even in that inferior bottom 1/3 of the series) it's REALLY not boring.

    The context is a bit different since Isekai and Harem shows tend to quite truly have less effort put into them. The genres as a whole are so prominent because they're cheap to acquire licenses for; the studios that mass produce light novel adaptations tend to SEEK OUT properties that were abject failures, because they can snap up the licenses for peanuts, produce them on the cheap, but still make a profit no matter what. Basically the same scam as low budget schlock horror movies.

    The good ones tend to be, shockingly enough, the ones adapted from source material that was already successful, but they tend to be drowned out somewhat by the deluge of similar yet inferior titles released in the same genre each year.

    Basically "hype train" is a vague and meaningless term for the most part, whereas having a general dislike for those genres is just healthy skepticism based on market realities.
    Pretty much.

    my only complaint with Death Note is that we didn't get more shows like it. just two masterminds being masterminds against one another, with no combat action heroes in the mix, just pure back and forth scheme against scheme, but with different set ups to switch it up. just more absolute xanatos fests where you don't know what cool/ridiculous/whatever scheme they're going to pull out next.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!



  12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ellenate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Iunno, I never actually watched it. But there was a while when RE:Zero was inescapable. it's STILL held up in shortlists of the best to come out of the Isekai genre.

    that show had so many great moments.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I usually hate when animes do, the whole sad sack mc thing, but it was so well done.



    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    This logic doesn't really hold up. Hype is great, it's what keeps people watching.

    Hype doesn't keep you watching a show, you should already know it's good, you're watching it.


    Hype is when your excited for the unknown.


    You can't hype something that is know.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The fact that Death Note gets boring at times is ignored because when it's NOT boring (which is most of the time, even in that inferior bottom 1/3 of the series) it's REALLY not boring.

    The second season was BORING all the way through though. 1/4 of the show isn't boring with the remaining 3/4...

    The first season is only good for the first few episodes and the moment kira gets his memories back. the middle is rough (the false allegation arc?) i remember these corporate guys had the notebook. kira's mind got wiped. the only good part was the car ride with his dad and misa. the end was also pretty anticlimactic to.


    Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, hope you enjoy it!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

  13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Hype doesn't keep you watching a show, you should already know it's good, you're watching it.


    Hype is when your excited for the unknown.


    You can't hype something that is know.
    That is literally not what that word means. Neither in the dictionary sense nor the colloquial senseis it used that way.





    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    The second season was BORING all the way through though. 1/4 of the show isn't boring with the remaining 3/4...

    The first season is only good for the first few episodes and the moment kira gets his memories back. the middle is rough (the false allegation arc?) i remember these corporate guys had the notebook. kira's mind got wiped. the only good part was the car ride with his dad and misa. the end was also pretty anticlimactic to.
    This is opinion, not fact.

  14. - Top - End - #464
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ellenate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    That is literally not what that word means. Neither in the dictionary sense nor the colloquial senseis it used that way.

    I'd advise you not to use, the dictionary you're referring to here, for anything serious.



    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    This is opinion, not fact.

    As oppose to everything else i say? I mean, I'm honored that you hold such a high regards, but you have to take me off that pedestal. It's not healthy.


    Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, hope you enjoy it!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

  15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    I'd advise you not to use, the dictionary you're referring to here, for anything serious.
    ...Merriam Webster?



    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    As oppose to everything else i say? I mean, I'm honored that you hold such a high regards, but you have to take me off that pedestal. It's not healthy.
    The point is you're stating it as fact to support some argument about "hype" being bad somehow.

  16. - Top - End - #466
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ellenate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    hype verb (2)
    hyped; hyping

    Definition of hype (Entry 3 of 5)

    transitive verb
    1 : put on, deceive
    2 : to promote or publicize extravagantly hyping this fall's TV lineup


    Personally-

    I'd just let it go, if i were you...


    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The point is you're stating it as fact to support some argument about "hype" being bad somehow.

    So what you're saying is that, your ego can't take an opinion, without perceiving it as an attack? Cause that's what it's feeling like right now.


    Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, hope you enjoy it!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

  17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Also I saw a lot of love for Re: Zero. Back when it was released, which was like what two years ago at this point?
    When is this coming back? I hear a resurrection has been scheduled.

    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    The reverse is also true. Bleach has one of the best opening arcs, of any anime i've seen, but that all gets drowned out by what follows it.
    Does that have anything to do with hype? Also, Iím not sure Bleach gets bad so much because it was just bad...it just goes on and on doing the same thing again and again and more and more drawn out....its like trying to find a new way to be Dragon Ball Z.





    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    saga of tanya the evil (isekai)
    re:zero (harem)


    Are some of the better, newer (dubbed not counting subbed) shows, that i've watched.
    Re:Zero is definitely more isekai than harem but, like most isekai shows these days, it seems fall under a blended ďisekai-haremĒ theme.

    What about Tanyaís own influences? Is harem in the mix?

    I havenít seen enough to say, but Iím guessing its heavily influenced by the current popular harem-isekai trends even if the relationship of a murderous little girl and her subordinate cannot exactly fall into harem essentials. She definitely has that isekai OP protagonist thing going on.

    Iím thinking its something like ďOverlordĒ where you take whatís going on with Isekai lately and twist it around.

    Thatís the one thing Re:Zero scrupulously avoids. Subaru gift is simply to come back when dead. That itself makes it more a sober and dark deconstruction of the genre than anything else..

    If I found some way to mention Konosuba weíd have the full Isekai Quartet.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2019-09-24 at 09:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  18. - Top - End - #468
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Personally-
    -you shouldn't cherry pick the definition on a page directly linked to, if you want anyone to think you're not intentionally omitting it because it doesn't back your point up. Because

    Quote Originally Posted by The part of the definition Ellenate didn't quote
    hype verb (1)
    hyped; hyping
    Definition of hype (Entry 2 of 5)
    transitive verb

    1: STIMULATE, ENLIVEN óusually used with up
    hyping herself up for the game
    2: INCREASE
    Which does line up with Rynjin's usage.

  19. - Top - End - #469
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    The Saga of Tanya the Evil sucks for reasons that should be evident.

    I'll be honest, eeeveryone I know who likes Death Note is like "but the second half kinda sucks except for a few moments" so that's very not true. Also it's not even that bad it's just kinda okay compared to the rest of an otherwise really good series.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  20. - Top - End - #470
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ellenate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    You really have a thing for me don't you...


    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Does that have anything to do with hype?

    "The reverse"
    Last edited by ellenate; 2019-09-24 at 10:23 PM.


    Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, hope you enjoy it!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

  21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Does that have anything to do with hype? Also, Iím not sure Bleach gets bad so much because it was just bad...it just goes on and on doing the same thing again and again and more and more drawn out....its like trying to find a new way to be Dragon Ball Z.
    At least Dragon Ball Z has personality and humor, and actual color. Bleach is a bunch of people in white and black, running across most white and black and grey backgrounds, all being serious and everything being dreadfully minimalist. it just didn't have any color or heart to it. its like a hollow version (no pun intended) of other shonen anime.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!



  22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    -you shouldn't cherry pick the definition on a page directly linked to, if you want anyone to think you're not intentionally omitting it because it doesn't back your point up. Because



    Which does line up with Rynjin's usage.
    It's not even a matter of cherrypicking, it's relying on people forgetting what they wrote, apparently.

    Literally nothing in those definitions, even the one they quoted, backs up this assertion:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellenate
    Hype doesn't keep you watching a show, you should already know it's good, you're watching it.


    Hype is when your excited for the unknown.


    You can't hype something that is know.

  23. - Top - End - #473
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    You really have a thing for me don't you...





    "The reverse"
    Not particularly no, we're just both fans of similar media. Two ships passing in the waves, taking potshots at each other but like, on friendly terms.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ellenate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    It's not even a matter of cherrypicking, it's relying on people forgetting what they wrote, apparently.

    Literally nothing in those definitions, even the one they quoted, backs up this assertion:

    Don't let my number one fan, hype you into thinking you have ground here.


    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Not particularly no, we're just both fans of similar media. Two ships passing in the waves, taking potshots at each other but like, on friendly terms.
    "Two ships passing in the waves" sounds dreamy.


    Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, hope you enjoy it!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

  25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Silfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Esslingen, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The Saga of Tanya the Evil sucks for reasons that should be evident.
    There are shows so universally panned that "It sucks" is a non-controversial stance and could even be treated as self-evident, but Tanya the Evil is generally well rated and reviewed. I honestly wouldn't even know to guess what you're talking about - I had a great time with the show.

    What sucks about it so much that it should be obvious?
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-09-25 at 04:56 AM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

  26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    At least Dragon Ball Z has personality and humor, and actual color. Bleach is a bunch of people in white and black, running across most white and black and grey backgrounds, all being serious and everything being dreadfully minimalist. it just didn't have any color or heart to it. its like a hollow version (no pun intended) of other shonen anime.
    I personally rate Bleach higher than DBZ (not talking about Super here, have never seen it because I can't find a dub anywhere and I can't stand how Goku sounds in Japanese). Both had plots that became pretty pointless after a while, so that leaves us with the fights.

    DBZ fights drag. Everyone has the same core power set and individual special moves (like Krillin's Kienzan) rarely make the difference in a fight or get used in a clever way. This eventually means you just have people beating each other up with fists and energy blasts over and over again, with breaks while everyone stands around powering up. As an example of how bad this gets, take the Cell games. Gohan's fight with Cell alone takes 14 episodes to conclude.

    The fights in Bleach are all very varied and most of them are pretty interesting. As is typical for many shonen heroes, Ichigo's fights are the least interesting. However, the cast for Bleach is freaking HUGE and the show goes out of its way to have a ton of minor villains so everybody gets a fight. People use their specials creatively, like Hachi sealing Barragan in a cube NOT because he expects the seal to hold but so Soi Fon's stinger missile explosion is contained and undodgeable. And even they aren't being used creatively, it's generally because we're seeing the move for the first time since the cast is so big.

    Having taken a shot at DBZ's fight lengths, it's only fair to address Bleach's problem in that regard - Aizen. Any time Aizen is on screen, the show grinds to a halt. He spends forever casually swatting minor characters and monologuing about how great he is. Once the fight that matters starts, it's over in like...two episodes. Maybe three.

    At the end of the day, the difference between the shows is rewatchability. I often go back and rewatch individual fights in Bleach, fast forwarding whenever plot happens or whenever the terribly unfunny "comic relief" characters are on screen. If I want to watch DBZ fights...I go watch DBZ abridged instead. The fights are faster, punchier, and have some darn good comedy to boot.

  27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I personally rate Bleach higher than DBZ (not talking about Super here, have never seen it because I can't find a dub anywhere and I can't stand how Goku sounds in Japanese). Both had plots that became pretty pointless after a while, so that leaves us with the fights.

    ...At the end of the day, the difference between the shows is rewatchability. I often go back and rewatch individual fights in Bleach, fast forwarding whenever plot happens or whenever the terribly unfunny "comic relief" characters are on screen. If I want to watch DBZ fights...I go watch DBZ abridged instead. The fights are faster, punchier, and have some darn good comedy to boot.
    I think your taste is unusual if you go back to Bleach to rewatch the fights again and again...and recall Iím the guy that said Bleach didnít get bad so much as go on too long.

    There is DB Kai. The dub for Super is finishing its broadcast. The manga is still ongoing. Thereís a lot of options for Dragonball these days.

    I donít understand your explanation for why you canít stand the Japanese. Its not like Gokuís voice changed since original Dragonball
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  28. - Top - End - #478
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    I really liked the early fights in Bleach, a lot more than most fights in DBZ. Goku vs Vegeta on their first go around was probably the best fight the series had when I was watching it. Kai might have fixed others. But up and into the Rukia fight, I actually really liked Bleach. If it had ended there, I'd probably have said it was good for Shonen. No One Piece, but better than a lot of other Shonen on the market. Kubo just didn't know how to end it.

    Since there doesn't seem to be enough interest to generate its own thread or keep it going. I've continued to read Eden's Zero, Mashima's latest series. I haven't really been keeping 100% invested. I haven't read every chapter and that's probably...a good thing...but what interest I am keeping is enough to keep me reading from time to time. It took about a hundred chapters for Rave Master and Fairy Tail to lose me however, and Eden's Zero is only sixty-ish chapters in. So plenty of time to disappoint.

    Fire Force is another manga that I started and just now peeked back into. I love the art style Ohkubo uses. All the thick lines and blockyness and shark teeth, and it's even more refined from Soul Eater. I just can't gel with his storytelling. If it's not madness it's just boring psuedophilosophy and humor that doesn't land for me.

  29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I think your taste is unusual if you go back to Bleach to rewatch the fights again and again...and recall Iím the guy that said Bleach didnít get bad so much as go on too long.

    There is DB Kai. The dub for Super is finishing its broadcast. The manga is still ongoing. Thereís a lot of options for Dragonball these days.

    I donít understand your explanation for why you canít stand the Japanese. Its not like Gokuís voice changed since original Dragonball
    I've never seen Kai available as a dub, either. I dunno what the deal is with the streaming licensing for that IP, but I've straight up never seen it outside of Super being available as a sub. I think the original DBZ was also around as a sub for a little while too. Netflix has the movies (which are decently fun), but outside of that it's just...not there.

    I haven't had cable in over 10 years, so broadcast isn't an option.

    As for re-watching fights, it's not just Bleach I do that for. I go back through and re-watch the fights of most shonen anime - they generally have good music, cool effects, and are just a fun thing to have on as "turn brain off and relax" material. The plot stuff I'll only watch the first time through, unless it's exceptionally good like FMA.

    As to Goku's voice....yeeeaaaaahhh. I don't mind having a female seiyuu do both the kid and adult voices when they can convincingly pull it off. I remain incredibly impressed by Junko Takeuchi being able to do Kid Naruto, Teenager Naruto, AND Adult Naruto. They all sound a little bit different, they all sound male, and the voices move down-register as he gets older. It's an amazing achievement.

    Goku though? He sounds like a little girl. Maybe I could have gotten over it if I'd been watching from Dragonball in subtitles, but having watched it dubbed for years it just doesn't sound right. It's also part of a broader problem with watching shows dubbed first. In my re-watch of Inuyasha I've had to slip into subtitles on an episode or two when Youtube doesn't have the dubbed version, and the problem is much the same. Richard Ian Cox just is Inuyasha to me, so while the overall quality of the voice acting is sure to be better in Japanese I just need to see it dubbed.

    The only show that I'm really happy watching in either language is Slayers. I typically watch the first season in Japanese, as the original English voice actors for Zelgadis and Amelia are just terrible. Once Crispin Freeman and Veronica Taylor join the cast I switch back over to English. From Try onwards, I swap back to Japanese because that's the language I originally watched them in.

  30. - Top - End - #480
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

    Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    There are shows so universally panned that "It sucks" is a non-controversial stance and could even be treated as self-evident, but Tanya the Evil is generally well rated and reviewed. I honestly wouldn't even know to guess what you're talking about - I had a great time with the show.

    What sucks about it so much that it should be obvious?
    Can't actually bring up the majority of it's issues due to board rules, but it's theme song is called "Jingoistic Jungle" so that should help direct you to my problems with The Saga of Tanya the German Nationalist.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •