New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Can't actually bring up the majority of it's issues due to board rules, but it's theme song is called "Jingoistic Jungle" so that should help direct you to my problems {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

Going into it, that's what it felt like it was going to be, but the parallels seem to be pushed more by fans than the actual narrative.

Spoiler
    Show
    it spends a majority of its time commenting on war/religion than anything else
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-28 at 11:36 PM. Reason: scrub the quote

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Can't actually bring up the majority of it's issues due to board rules, but it's theme song is called "Jingoistic Jungle" so that should help direct you to my problems {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}.
    ...by calling it explicitly Jingoistic, it sounds more like a criticism than a celebration. Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-28 at 11:36 PM. Reason: scrub the quote

3. - Top - End - #483
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    ...by calling it explicitly Jingoistic, it sounds more like a criticism than a celebration. Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
    The people who Tanya feels like it's made for would be proud to be called that. And slight error, it's just Jingo Jungle, but the message is the same.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Orc in the Playground

The people who Tanya feels like it's made for would be proud to be called that. And slight error, it's just Jingo Jungle, but the message is the same.
    ...this sounds like a circular argument to me. "The theme song is made for German {Scrubbed}, which we know because, since the anime is made for German {Scrubbed}, they would take Jingo as a good thing."

As a note: I haven't seen a single episode of it; I've barely seen any advertising for it, and I have no clue about it beyond "It's a German {Scrubbed} isekai-via-reincarnation" (and I got the explicitly German part from your posts). I have no clue whether you're right. But I really don't think you've made your case.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-28 at 11:39 PM. Reason: clean up

5. - Top - End - #485

And I'm talking some experience of interacting with fans of the show, and can't actually say more to defend my point due to forum rules. So that'll be the end of the conversation.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

The show isn't called "Tanya the Role Model." The Japanese title meanwhile, translates to something like "The War Chronicles of a Young Girl" which seems to emphasize the negative side of war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

And I'm talking some experience of interacting with fans of the show, and can't actually say more to defend my point due to forum rules. So that'll be the end of the conversation.
    Okay, "experience of interacting with fans of the show" and a bag of chips is worth about as much as a bag of chips. There are tons of worthwhile shows that have idiot fans. TV Tropes has an article about the phenomenon called Misaimed Fandom.

The show is firmly anti-war. It's made very clear that the faux-historic 1920s fantasy world was designed (literally, by an amoral god-like antagonist) to be Tanya's personal hell. She's trying to survive by being a good officer and rising through the ranks of the Empire military until she can secure a cushy desk job, an endeavour that is doomed to fail as she is taken advantage of by her arrogant, power-crazed and incompetent superiors. Also, Tanya is probably not German (she has an Eastern European name, and prior to her reincarnation, she was a Japanese corporate manager) and definitely not a {Scrubbed}. Not even arguably, she just isn't. She cultivates the persona of the child prodigy model soldier for the Empire, but it's a fabrication - in truth, she's an amoral, sociopathic {Scrubbed}who despises war not because of the cruelties it inflicts on the populace, but because it's inefficient - a waste of perfectly good resources.

So far I honestly have seen no evidence that you've watched the show at all. In which case a conversation about it would indeed be pointless to the extreme.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-28 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clean up
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

8. - Top - End - #488

I haven't watched the show, no, but I've talked with people who have who see it entirely different from you. I realize misaimed fandom is a thing and all that, but from the description you provided the show honestly feels kinda miserable and exactly like the show I heard. Faking it or not, she's still doing bad guy **** and her only argument against it is "it's inefficient", and after faking it so long the question becomes "are you really faking it or not". Tanya's not a character you want to root for at all, and I don't see anything of value in this.

Maybe I'll watch the show myself to have a more informed opinion of it, but I don't really care that much.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't watched the show, no, but I've talked with people who have who see it entirely different from you. I realize misaimed fandom is a thing and all that, but from the description you provided the show honestly feels kinda miserable and exactly like the show I heard. Faking it or not, she's still doing bad guy **** and her only argument against it is "it's inefficient", and after faking it so long the question becomes "are you really faking it or not". Tanya's not a character you want to root for at all, and I don't see anything of value in this.

Maybe I'll watch the show myself to have a more informed opinion of it, but I don't really care that much.
    I'd recommend giving it a watch, I didn't know much about it aside from the name and the term {Scrubbed}' going into the anime but I couldn't put it down once I started watching.

Its got a few decent jokes but you get a lot of the same appeal in watching Tanya that people say they get when they watch Light Yagami, in my experience. Especially considering that if you had to boil the show down to an almost meaningless short description you'd probably get..

'An HR guy who is extremely rationale and effecient but uncaring about people gets shoved in front of a train for being an ass, but a godlike being intervenes and questions his lack of faith in humanity. To teach him about piety, 'god' sends him into a magical {Scrubbed} but she is determined to remain an atheist and keep to her own 'values' no matter the morals to prove 'god' wrong'.

That and other characters are generally cheerworthy, including the assistant and oddly enough the first 'enemy' that challenges her. Its also a fun twist in that Tanya's 'OP abilities' are very much out of her hands which is a fun twist. I never got as much joy out of seeing the phrase 'God Wills' as I did in Saga when the main character realizes she's now signed up for a dangerous experimental weapon program after she was so very ardently avoiding it.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-11-28 at 11:45 PM. Reason: clean up
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd certainly recommend you watch the show - if you want to continue posting about how much it sucks and still retain some measure of credibility.

You don't have to, of course. (What would be the point, now that you've already made up your mind? It's clearly not your cup of tea.) I haven't seen Death Note, don't have an informed opinion on Death Note - so I never comment on Death Note. It's quite doable.

11. - Top - End - #491

Eh, that's fair. I'd also like to apologize for my general behavior, been feeling kinda sick today. It doesn't help that literally last night I heard someone say they intended to use the show for "recruitment purposes" which also just, really keys me off. Exploiting young kids with negative media always puts me on edge and I'm letting it get the worst of me.

EDIT: I'm at an impasse regarding that sort of behavior, Sif. On the one hand it is always good to be informed so your opinion can hold more merit. But then that's such a dodgy thing in the first place, that opinions hold "more merit" just because they've seen something, and I mean if something sets off all your red flags you can be pretty sure that watching it will just be an exercise in hurting yourself. But that doesn't necessarily mean you should completely sever yourself from conversation.

All I can do is put in my two cents, because everything's subjective, and people are free to disagree on the perfectly fair grounds that I've never seen it. I just feel like I don't have to because it sounds like the exact series I thought it was. So watching it would be redundant beyond check marking the box of some other person. I don't really owe anyone that.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-25 at 02:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

So is this Tanya show about a proper Evil protagonist or is it just Doing That One Thing They Always Do again?

13. - Top - End - #493

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So is this Tanya show about a proper Evil protagonist or is it just Doing That One Thing They Always Do again?
    That's super vague so I have no real idea.

All I know is that Tanya has no remorse, kills people ruthlessly, and has only one goal in war: winning. Nothing else matters because Logic and Rationality is better than dumb emotions.

So probably the One Thing They Always Do again, if I'm understanding it right.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, that's fair. I'd also like to apologize for my general behavior, been feeling kinda sick today. It doesn't help that literally last night I heard someone say they intended to use the show for "recruitment purposes" which also just, really keys me off. Exploiting young kids with negative media always puts me on edge and I'm letting it get the worst of me.

EDIT: I'm at an impasse regarding that sort of behavior, Sif. On the one hand it is always good to be informed so your opinion can hold more merit. But then that's such a dodgy thing in the first place, that opinions hold "more merit" just because they've seen something, and I mean if something sets off all your red flags you can be pretty sure that watching it will just be an exercise in hurting yourself. But that doesn't necessarily mean you should completely sever yourself from conversation.

All I can do is put in my two cents, because everything's subjective, and people are free to disagree on the perfectly fair grounds that I've never seen it. I just feel like I don't have to because it sounds like the exact series I thought it was. So watching it would be redundant beyond check marking the box of some other person. I don't really owe anyone that.
    To be perfectly frank, I think the people saying they intend to use the show for 'recruitment purposes' haven't watched the show either.

As for the other bit, I generally take the stance of staying out of a topic if I haven't seen it or watched it because well...if its a criticism, then it very much has less merit because I haven't actually seen what I'm critiquing, I'm going on a synopsis or what I've heard about the media in question and you just lose so much nuance and context when you do that. However, if I feel strongly on a subject and feel the need to interject, I just try to make it clear 'hey, I haven't read/watched this, but this is how I feel based on what I've heard' so people get my stance without assuming I'm speaking from a position of having actually viewed/read something.

AOTRS: Depends, what is That One Thing They Always Do? Because Tanya makes excuses for her behavior but the setting does not. Hell, the anime opens with her ordering some people who slighted her to a front line fort she knows is going to be shelled because of actions she hasn't committed yet because they made fun of her and also happened to be in the way of her career advancement. Her assistant is understandably freaked out by this once she figures it out.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2019-09-25 at 03:29 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

That's super vague so I have no real idea.

All I know is that Tanya has no remorse, kills people ruthlessly, and has only one goal in war: winning. Nothing else matters because Logic and Rationality is better than dumb emotions.

So probably the One Thing They Always Do again, if I'm understanding it right.
    So "she"'s Sousuke from Full Metal Panic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I've never seen Kai available as a dub, either. I dunno what the deal is with the streaming licensing for that IP, but I've straight up never seen it outside of Super being available as a sub. I think the original DBZ was also around as a sub for a little while too. Netflix has the movies (which are decently fun), but outside of that it's just...not there.

I haven't had cable in over 10 years, so broadcast isn't an option.

As for re-watching fights, it's not just Bleach I do that for. I go back through and re-watch the fights of most shonen anime - they generally have good music, cool effects, and are just a fun thing to have on as "turn brain off and relax" material. The plot stuff I'll only watch the first time through, unless it's exceptionally good like FMA.

As to Goku's voice....yeeeaaaaahhh. I don't mind having a female seiyuu do both the kid and adult voices when they can convincingly pull it off. I remain incredibly impressed by Junko Takeuchi being able to do Kid Naruto, Teenager Naruto, AND Adult Naruto. They all sound a little bit different, they all sound male, and the voices move down-register as he gets older. It's an amazing achievement.

Goku though? He sounds like a little girl. Maybe I could have gotten over it if I'd been watching from Dragonball in subtitles, but having watched it dubbed for years it just doesn't sound right. It's also part of a broader problem with watching shows dubbed first. In my re-watch of Inuyasha I've had to slip into subtitles on an episode or two when Youtube doesn't have the dubbed version, and the problem is much the same. Richard Ian Cox just is Inuyasha to me, so while the overall quality of the voice acting is sure to be better in Japanese I just need to see it dubbed.

The only show that I'm really happy watching in either language is Slayers. I typically watch the first season in Japanese, as the original English voice actors for Zelgadis and Amelia are just terrible. Once Crispin Freeman and Veronica Taylor join the cast I switch back over to English. From Try onwards, I swap back to Japanese because that's the language I originally watched them in.
    If you're in the U.S., Canada, and I think a couple other place, Funimation's site has all of DBZ, and I think they're releasing Super in chunks, and they just wrapped up the dub. Kai is weird, only seeing it available on Adult Swim (and you need a cable subscription to watch anything on their site anyway).

For me, I loved DBZ when I was a kid, but when I got more into anime recently, I found similar shows that just did everything better. I would say I enjoy Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia, and even Black Clover more, simply due to the fact they don't feel so repetitive. I haven't seen Super yet, and I don't plan to, but I've seen a couple clips, and it looks like it still has the same problems as Z did.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-09-25 at 04:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

I also have no idea what "That One Thing They Always Do" means, but as for the actual question - there's no doubt that Tanya's evil. Lawful Evil - and strangely enough for a leader of men who has overseen dozens of victorious and bloody engagements: a pacifist. She considers war to be a gross waste of human resources. (So while she kills without remorse - she's also fiercely protective of her own men. After all, she spent considerable time and effort training them which would go to waste if they died.)

So, her goal isn't to win the war. Her goal is to survive the war, i.e. still have all her limbs attached to her body by the time the war ends. Ideally without having to bow and scrape to the insane amoral god-like being that is behind her being reincarnated into a war-torn hellhole. At one point she decides her best odds of survival lie in trying to win the war - but that doesn't necessarily stay that way.

EDIT: As far as comparisons to Sousuke Sagara go - one big difference is that Sousuke isn't evil. I'd guess he's quintessential Lawful Neutral.

Tanya also is much, much less of an automaton. She gets pretty emotional, actually - a part of her at least seems to actively enjoy killing. Or maybe it's outsmarting her enemies that she enjoys? She also openly and passionately expresses hate when things don't go her way, or whenever she suspects the influence of "Being X", the god-like being that is responsible for her being part of the war in the first place. The only thing that's automaton-like about her is her meticulously correct military bearing when in the presence of her superiors - though even then there are signs of barely suppressed rage, from time to time.

In short - she's not anything like Sousuke.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-09-25 at 04:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #497

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    So "she"'s Sousuke from Full Metal Panic?

If you're in the U.S., Canada, and I think a couple other place, Funimation's site has all of DBZ, and I think they're releasing Super in chunks, and they just wrapped up the dub. Kai is weird, only seeing it available on Adult Swim (and you need a cable subscription to watch anything on their site anyway).

For me, I loved DBZ when I was a kid, but when I got more into anime recently, I found similar shows that just did everything better. I would say I enjoy Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia, and even Black Clover more, simply due to the fact they don't feel so repetitive. I haven't seen Super yet, and I don't plan to, but I've seen a couple clips, and it looks like it still has the same problems as Z did.
    Haven't seen Full Metal Panic so no idea. Also, no need to put air quotes around it. She is a girl. Her past life in an alternate world which shares all her memories with her was a guy, but she is a girl in series. Just because someone is hateful and stupid doesn't mean you shouldn't treat them with the common courtesy of gendering them correctly.

I'm shocked as how you could find Fairy Tail non-repetitive, but then I remember all the shlocky nonsense it had going on and like yeah, no you're right. As bad as it was it was always fresh.

EDIT: Not to be contratian but from what I've read she's NOT a saint to her own men. They're just resources. She doesn't waste them because they're resources, but they're just pieces to her. Her two main guys questioned her a little and she sent them to the rear squad and didn't care when they died (in the manga anyway, I've read the anime does it differently. The light novel this is all based on is also pretty different, and far more clearly sarcastic in what it does).
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-25 at 04:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm in the UK, and checking Funimation's site from here their library is extremely limited and does not contain Dragonball Anything. The UK's anime selection in general kinda sucks. I just bought the DVDs for A Certain Scientific Railgun because I was tired of not being able to find that show since I moved. I'm sure I could buy the DVDs for Super as well, but I'm not prepared to do that for a show I haven't seen.

I still wish I could watch Black Clover - what little I saw of it had both an interesting premise and interesting characters, but the main character TALKS LIKE THIS THE WHOLE TIME. I made it about 4 or 5 episodes before I just couldn't take it any more.

As for DBZ, I remember the first time I met smoenoe who was actually into anime instead of just watching Toonami like I was. I said I liked anime, she asked what shows, I said DBZ, and she said "No, I meant REAL anime".

Still feels a bit harsh and reductive, but I also can't really argue the point when you compare Z to its contemporaries in other genres.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: Not to be contratian but from what I've read she's NOT a saint to her own men. They're just resources. She doesn't waste them because they're resources, but they're just pieces to her. Her two main guys questioned her a little and she sent them to the rear squad and didn't care when they died (in the manga anyway, I've read the anime does it differently. The light novel this is all based on is also pretty different, and far more clearly sarcastic in what it does).
    To be frank the light novel, manga, and anime all do things differently from one another. Some in pretty significant ways from what I've heard.

That said, she values her own men but not for the reasons one would assume. A lot of time, care, and training went into creating the best meatshields she could ask for to keep her safe. She's not going to let them get their lives thrown away because that's a waste, they'd be very difficult to replace, and she does care about at least one of them. At least a little.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Haven't seen Full Metal Panic so no idea. Also, no need to put air quotes around it. She is a girl. Her past life in an alternate world which shares all her memories with her was a guy, but she is a girl in series. Just because someone is hateful and stupid doesn't mean you shouldn't treat them with the common courtesy of gendering them correctly.
    Is it misgendering them if they still think of themselves as a man? By my understanding of the series they were turned into a little girl as part of the punishment, and they still generally think of themselves as a middle aged salary man.

Gender =/= sex and all that.

21. - Top - End - #501

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Is it misgendering them if they still think of themselves as a man? By my understanding of the series they were turned into a little girl as part of the punishment, and they still generally think of themselves as a middle aged salary man.

Gender =/= sex and all that.
    That I don't know the answer for, actually. From my own reading everyone considers her as just a girl.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-25 at 05:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

That I don't know the answer for, actually. From my own reading everyone considers her as just a girl.
    Everyone knows her as a girl in the fantasy world because that's what she was born and raised as. Only Tanya knows about her prior life and while she doesn't LIKE being a girl she kind of just has to accept that's what he has become because there's no real way of fixing it.

So 'she' is accurate.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'm in the UK, and checking Funimation's site from here their library is extremely limited and does not contain Dragonball Anything. The UK's anime selection in general kinda sucks. I just bought the DVDs for A Certain Scientific Railgun because I was tired of not being able to find that show since I moved. I'm sure I could buy the DVDs for Super as well, but I'm not prepared to do that for a show I haven't seen.

I still wish I could watch Black Clover - what little I saw of it had both an interesting premise and interesting characters, but the main character TALKS LIKE THIS THE WHOLE TIME. I made it about 4 or 5 episodes before I just couldn't take it any more.

As for DBZ, I remember the first time I met smoenoe who was actually into anime instead of just watching Toonami like I was. I said I liked anime, she asked what shows, I said DBZ, and she said "No, I meant REAL anime".

Still feels a bit harsh and reductive, but I also can't really argue the point when you compare Z to its contemporaries in other genres.
    Asta gets better, and yeah, Dallas Reid is a lot more tolerable than the Japanese VA. The weird part is, Yuno is the more annoying character. He's an overly cocky little twit that is mean to everyone. At times I wonder, if he really did become the wizard king, would he be a tyrant? He just has that kind of personality. I love Noelle's arc, being a sort of outcast from royalty and slumming it up with the other degens (also I absolutely love Jill Harris). Ian Sinclair is amazing as always, and he makes Magna fun. Lately though, the show has really been "big main story" focused, so we haven't seen a lot of good characterization. But we're almost at 100 episodes, so it was bound to happen.

With all the new stuff Funimation is doing in partnership with Sony, it's entirely possible we'll see more dubbed stuff outside North America.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2019-09-25 at 06:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #504

He just has that kind of personality. .
    The fact that you were able to scrape even the thinnest personality off Yuno's blank slate ****ing face is commendable. Black clover is... a hell of a series in that it's highs are brilliant and surrounded by a sea of "hey did you know this series was made by Kishimoto's brother? It shows!" melange.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

The fact that you were able to scrape even the thinnest personality off Yuno's blank slate ****ing face is commendable. Black clover is... a hell of a series in that it's highs are brilliant and surrounded by a sea of "hey did you know this series was made by Kishimoto's brother? It shows!" melange.
    Eh? Black Clover isn't made by Kishimoto's brother. That was O-Parts Hunter/666 Satan.

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Eh? Black Clover isn't made by Kishimoto's brother. That was O-Parts Hunter/666 Satan.
    I coulda sworn it was. My bad.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

I recall watching Tanya the Evil, but it couldn't really hold my interest and I had to watch something else before bothering to finish it. One thing I do remember is whispers about whether Tanya is just a girl and not, for example, a demon that crawled out of the depths of hell that just wears a young girl's skin.

In lighter fare, I've tried to limit watching Black Clover to what's dubbed, and one great moment that made it feel worth watching (of many moments that make me wonder) was when Magna, Asta, and Noelle are on their first mission and defending the town. Noelle basically gets swept up in the shonen spirit and says something wonderfully cliche, so I thought, "Yeah. It's gonna be one of those shows where everybody gets into it." Noelle basically wins the manliness competition for the adventure right there.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

And that's it for the last show I was waiting on, Cop Craft. It actually ended on a really strong note.

But dang... Life's been difficult for Shouji Gatoh in the post-Kyoto-Animation era. Both Invisible Victory and Cop Craft had some ridiculous and obvious production issues. I hardly need to mention the clip shows. In Cop Craft's case, obvious animation shortcuts or straight-up reused footage to stall for time. Not everything that was there was awful, of course. I think Millipensee has decent staff ... but they clearly didn't have the time or budget to do better. (By the way, I just found out that Studio XEBEC, which did Invisible Victory in 2018, folded earlier this year. Color me unsurprised.)

There's a really funny moment in an early episode where you can see a car driving up an upward sloped road. It's clear they only had a sprite of the car from a singular angle, so when it went over the top, they did this. No money to properly animate a car model - but just barely enough money to pay for a few frames of two characters inexplicably reeling from the impact of their car performing a 30 mph wheelie and crashing back down onto the road. It's like the studio knew it was in over its head and felt it might as well have a little fun at its own expense.

It's actually a really enjoyable buddy cop show if you can get over that. It's much like the first Full Metal Panic in that it can do both serious conflict and be really funny, depending on what the context of that day's episode is, and if it had gotten the kind of production values that Gonzo, let alone KyoAni, would be capable of (and did provide for the early Full Metal Panic shows, including Fumoffu), it would have been a really solid candidate for Anime of the Season. The animation undermines many of the action sequences in a painful way, but they do decently enough with the humor, much of which relies on the character writing and VA performances.

So, here's the shows of the season that I've seen, put in order of personal enjoyment:

1. Machikado Mazoku
    2. Maidens of the Savage Season
    3. Kanata no Astra
    4. Joushikousei wa Mudazukai

Up to here I would categorically recommend all of those shows. I think they're great and you might like them if you're at all into the genre they belong to. (The only show airing this season that I would categorically recommend to anyone is Vinland Saga, which I feel has the potential to be, like, FMA level good. The source material is damn strong, and there are no obvious missteps with the adaptation. In a way, it's the true number 1, but because it's not done yet, it's not on the list.)

5. Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2
    6. Cop Craft
    7. Magical Sempai
    8. Dumbbell nan Kilo Moteru?

I enjoyed all of these a lot, too, mind you. Takagi-san's watchability is almost completely rooted in the voice acting. Rie Takahashi is a master of her craft, and the chemistry is palpable. You also get the sense that the anime studio didn't phone that one in - they go the extra mile to actually make it work on the levels that anime adds over the manga source material - I'd go as far as to say that if the adaptation continues into a third season, there's not much reason to bother with the manga at all.

Magical Sempai and Dumbbell were extremely easy on the eye and the soul. Dumbbell probably had the better material - but the fitness infotainment dragged it out, whereas Magical Sempai took its 12 minute runtime, fired off a barrage of magic-related gags and fanservice shots, then cleared the stage before it had a chance to go stale.

Dropped shows include UchiMusume (because I found out it was wife husbandry, which coincided with an episode that turned so awful I had to turn it off minutes in), the dual-wielding Mom show (which I watched one episode of because it was suggested to me it might be legitimately funny, and concluded that it wasn't quite funny enough to make for up for its everything else), and Granbelm (which was kind of the opposite of Cop Craft - production values were awesome, but the premise and characters turned me off instantly).

I haven't finished Carole & Tuesday yet and can't adequately rank it. It has some beautiful episodes, some really funny ones, and some that are fairly forgettable. I don't particularly enjoy the overarching politics part of the plot. It's the kind of show that I do like... but am not in a rush to watch immediately, you know? It's not "ugh, well, I got this far into it, I should probably finish it" awful, like Slime Isekai was, of course. Just not as joyful to watch as my seasonal favorites.

Oh, and I also watched something else from a much earlier season: Outbreak Company. I was actually kind of impressed with it. It's not by any means a brilliant show and it goes deep on some tropey nonsense, but it has decent enough characters. Something to fill the gap until the Konosuba movie becomes available - it has a similar vibe. I kind of wish the elf maid waifu was a little less... waifu-ey. I'm not sure I'm expressing it right, but you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-09-30 at 06:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Oh, and I also watched something else from a much earlier season: Outbreak Company. I was actually kind of impressed with it. It's not by any means a brilliant show and it goes deep on some tropey nonsense, but it has decent enough characters. Something to fill the gap until the Konosuba movie becomes available - it has a similar vibe. I kind of wish the elf maid waifu was a little less... waifu-ey. I'm not sure I'm expressing it right, but you'll see what I mean.
    I saw that recommendation from Mother's Basement as well . The show's ability to walk right up to the line of ridiculousness without crossing it was impressive. Using anime and manga to score a cultural victory over a another country is crazy, but teaching a population to read and write only your language is... a thing that actually happened, more than once, and was not nice.

I feel like Cop Craft would have been better if side plot episodes weren't frequently stupid and unfunny.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-09-30 at 09:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510

I should do a better job of keeping track of what anime is out in a season so I can actually like, try them out.

I watched the first episode of Cop Craft with a friend, almost entirely to make a "still better than Bright" joke. It was... alright but also eh at the same time, if that makes sense.

Astra of course was amazing, though apparently there's stuff missing from it that the manga had in that excluding feels weird, from what I've read. Need to read the manga to be sure myself.

Fire Force, which isn't done yet, is... decidedly mediocre.

Demon Girl Next Door (Machikado Mazoku) was kickin' rad I loved it so much!

And that's all I watched of new anime this season.