New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Advice: Wishes, Time Travel, Simulacrum, oh my

Okay, I have a situation with a player. She was petrified by a Beholder while under the observation of an Efreet. She was "cloned" (returned from El-Plane-Fire with a new body) in the scrying pool which the Beholder was guarding and returned to the world without her possessions.

They brought her statue back to the high-level wizard. When the statue was restored, "she" attempted to escape; the party webbed "her" and knocked "her" out. Yada yada yada, TPK, the wizard Magic Jars into "her" to get a young, fresh body and goes about his business.

Then, to make a very long story short, they traveled back in time to the Beholder cave again.

They brought her statue back to the high-level wizard, but got sidetracked and haven't been back to restore "her".

MY QUESTION is much more about "what's fair" than "what's possible."

The wizard could easily restore the body, restrain it and magic jar it. He may even leave most of her possessions (the gear on her original body which she very much wants back) behind before leaving. (The wizard has an objective which is thousands of miles away which a disguise would help)

So, am I being "fair" if the next time they make it back to the wizard, he's absconded with the character's original body? The wizard is NOT evil, just eccentric.

EXTRA CREDIT:
    If I *don't* do the above, if they make it back to the wizard and restore the statue, what should I make "her" do? After all, "she" is the original body; I've specifically mentioned the character's current body lacks scars and birthmarks. Efreet shenanigans can really work out in any way: duplicated souls, (more) time travel, etc. etc. Let's brainstorm this sucker!
    Last edited by mujadaddy; 2019-06-24 at 12:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Advice: Wishes, Time Travel, Simulacrum, oh my

If the wizard isn't evil, I wouldn't have him steal your player's original body. A "which one of us is real" arc seems like it would be much more fun.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

They get back to the wizard cave and the wizard is gone, with a time suspended "healed her". Did he heal her then clone the body for a disguise? Making a 3 way which one is real arc.

Or maybe he healed the original body with Poly any instead of stone to flesh, and now the original "her" doesn't look like "her" anymore...

Or instead of magic jar into her he straight up switched bodies, and the original "her" is the wizard?

Or entering the cave of the wizard triggers a time jump back to the Beginning of the Beholder fight, and it keeps looping until she Isn't turned to stone during the fight, but the Beholder will continue to target her with that each time they reset to the fight.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErdrickOfAliaha View Post
    A "which one of us is real" arc seems like it would be much more fun.
    Yeah, the TPK happened basically the same day, so we didn't have an opportunity to explore that. The "magic jar" scene was really just an Epilogue for the party after the TPK.

Quote Originally Posted by ErdrickOfAliaha View Post
    They get back to the wizard cave and the wizard is gone,
    Combining all these might work:

Wizard doesn't magic jar, he mind swaps, then feebleminds and suspended animations his old body before leaving town. And he leaves a few dead simulacrum corpses of the PC along his trail.