New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: You ever lose friends over this hobby? I just did.

Yup. I'm glad to be rid of those people too. Bunch of viper tongued gits in the end. They also tried to steal my books.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah. I wish I could say I left and never looked back, but it still haunts me. I lost a friend I'd known for a long time. It took a while for me to figure it out too. Some of my other friends saw what was happening and tried to get me to quit playing with them, but I thought it was my fault, that if I only I did this one thing or this other thing then they would be cool with me. Looking back on it there were many signs I should have seen, lots of things that I know now were big red flags. It still really bugs me, I'm always paranoid about being screwed over again. It makes it hard to trust other gamers, but it is getting easier, slowly.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wouldn’t say you lost friends so much as you never had them. People desperately, awfully, want to avoid being “not nice”, but they also just don’t like some people. In a form of cowardice we’re all familiar with, they try to make it work and then try to avoid interaction as an easier “nicer” thing than being “mean”.

We’ve all seen it, and perhaps in our less proud moments some of us have done it. The boss who decides to just write a mediocre performance review rather than sit down and explain what needs improving; the “let’s just be friends” break up or rejection; the “buddy” you don’t really like and are relieved when you have an excuse that you can’t hang out - and hey, maybe they’ll get the hint eventually?

And while it is cowardly, the person on the other side was never a good employee/romantic prospect/friend. They just wanted to be. So chances are you didn’t lose a friend - you never had one and they were too cowardly to be “mean” and shoot their own dog, so to speak.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Had this happen a while back to me, but for me it was a big eye-opener to a personality disorder I have (schizoid) and haven't made any friends since.

For a normal person this may be far more of an issue, and it may be a good idea to make friends with people who might seek to hang out with you outside the game, that way you know that the game isn't the only reason you socialize.

I hope you do not remain torn up over this, you will rebound but you should also take this as a lesson and perhaps don't get as attached to people until you are sure that you are actually friends.
    Ugh, I'm such a robot.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa333 View Post
    At the risk of a rant, I just lost my entire gaming group. We've played online for over a year now, and I suddenly found myself kicked from the Dischord chat, and blocked by every person with no word of explanation. I went through every means of communication I had, and finally got in touch with the person I thought was my best friend. And keeping it short and sweet, the group didn't like me when I was quiet, and didn't like it when I voiced my opinion, so....I guess that didn't like me there at all. I'm still shocked. I know we didn't always get along, but I thought of everyone there a friend, and now I know they were complaining about me behind my back for who knows how long. That hurts. I'm left here in tears over people probably laughing at me, and I don't know how to handle that yet. I'm raw, and needed to vent a little.
    First, I am sorry this happened.
    The Internet is full of wonderful - and horrible - people. Just as they are in person.
    And I know of several people - who use D&D - and the internet (whether through Discord, Forums, or Email) to "play D&D" - due to physical and/or mental disabilities. And sometimes, it's not a disability, but simply the person is extremely introverted (I am an introvert, so I get this notion).
    So the idea of "going out and finding a game" in person is not always a readily available option.
    I'm old though - and I've gotten to live and learn a lot of lessons.
    For example, my wife had some co-workers who were simply wonderful people. They've - to my knowledge - never done anything wrong to anyone.
    I think they're wonderful - however, I do not really "click" with them.
    And I am not entirely sure why - and while there were some things in common - I just never felt like I jelled with them.
    Then there's another group of my wife's co-workers that, given the chance, I am more than happy to hang out with them.

So, it may be true - perhaps they disliked you. Perhaps they were evil and sneered at you.
    It could also be as simple as they didn't feel connected with you - no matter how you might have felt.
    Some people can simply be "polite" (or some would say "fake") and put on a smile.
    I did that with my wife's first group - I don't think I was being fake, I was simply being polite.
    So they may have been "polite/fake" - and eventually came to the agreement, that you did not fit well with their group.
    Going to the extreme of blocking you, and not having the courage to speak to you about it - even if it was to say, "Hey, we've enjoyed your time playing with us - but we spoke, and feel like you weren't a right fit for the game. Hoping you find another game with others who can connect with you! Good luck!"

Well, to me that speaks of their character.

While I am sure the entire thing feels like a betrayal and it stings - but as others have said - it doesn't sound like you lost people worth having in your life.

Best wishes!
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

That sucks - but hey, at least it's better than what happened to one of my buddies when he ran a game for a few of his "friends" (and me - ironically, he invited me because he thought I needed something social to do while job hunting).

He had apparently managed to get through four years of college without realizing that one of them was an incredibly sexist jerk. Of course, the other player wanted to force themselves on an NPC, who happened to be an infant (an infant dragon, sure, but still). Needless to say, they aren't "friends" anymore.

That was a pretty awful hour and a half, not going to lie.

EDIT: I hope that I didn't come off as belittling what happened, because man, getting slapped in the face like that is awful.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2019-07-12 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Dialing back my language a bit - forgot I was on a family forum for a moment there.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!