Guidance
    Light
    Magic Stone
    Mending
    Resistance
    Shillelagh
    Shocking Grasp
    Spare the Dying

As far as I'm aware, even a chainlock with Voice of the Chain Master still requires you to be within 100 feet to cast touch spells through your familiar. I was curious if I could find any cantrips with interesting synergy with familiars. Shocking Grasp is the obvious one, but most of the situations where you'd use it you could just use a ranged cantrip to do the same or better damage, or for Chainlocks you can do similar damage with the imp's sting attack. Spare the Dying and Resistance at a range are also interesting, but not greatly so. You can give your familiar its own Shillelagh, but again, either your familiar can't attack or it already has a superior attack. You can cast Mending or Light on something without getting too close to it, which could have some niche utility.

What are some things we can do with these cantrips and a familiar (particularly a chainlock familiar, though I don't think it makes much of a difference)? Are there any leveled spells that are just amazing to cast through your familiar?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Familiars and touch spells: all cantrips with a range of touch

Cure wounds is good if you want to keep out of slap range but still want adequately heal your team during fights.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bestow curse is a biggie at my tables.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds, Enhance Ability (not100% sure on the range of that, I believe it's Touch). Revivify might be Touch, as well. That last one could help you get to a downed ally sooner.

Of course, most of the spells there that would be nice to have a Familiar for are on the Cleric's list..

If you want a exhaustive list, you'd have to check every spell with the range of Touch, and pick which would be 'better' if you could be outside of butt-slapping range to cast.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you aren't giving Shocking Grasp the credit it deserves, especially at higher levels when you are fighting casters. If you land a shocking grasp on someone, they have suddenly lost their ability to counterspell. That can be amazing when you are fighting against a high level caster.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Here's one I used once: The barbarian was charging into some dangerous situation, and didn't herself have an exit strategy. So I had my familiar ride on her shoulders. When the situation got too hot, I cast Invisibility on her through my familiar.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Really looking forward to getting Plane Shift in a couple levels. Hey, you want to pet this cute little kitty cat?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I think you aren't giving Shocking Grasp the credit it deserves, especially at higher levels when you are fighting casters. If you land a shocking grasp on someone, they have suddenly lost their ability to counterspell. That can be amazing when you are fighting against a high level caster.
    Ooooh nice! Also no Shield or Hellish Rebuke

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Magic Stone on reaction, movement to distribute to minions so that you’re not all clumped together and vulnerable.

10. - Top - End - #10

Shillelagh wouldn't work with a familiar as it requires you to hold the stick

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Warding Bond. This gives you resistance to damage and a bonus to saves and AC. Of course, this require you to make the little guy into an HP battery with other spells/abilities.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Shillelagh wouldn't work with a familiar as it requires you to hold the stick
    I think the clause in Find Familiar where it says you treat the Familiar as the caster of the spell should cover this, just as it covers "a creature you touch gains a number of hitpoints..." or "Lightning springs from your hand to deliver a shock to a creature you try to touch."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The issue, though, is that even if the familiar can cast Shillelagh, the effect is a big stick that has combat bonuses when it's wielded by a housecat or spider or whatever. I don't think that even any of the Pact of the Chain familiars would be able to effectively wield a Shillelagh.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

14. - Top - End - #14

The wording of Shillelagh is clear:

"The wood of a club or quarterstaff you are holding is imbued with nature’s power."

It's subtle, but precise. *you* have to hold the stick. You can cast the spell through your familiar on the stick, but you still need to hold the stick

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    The wording of Shillelagh is clear:

"The wood of a club or quarterstaff you are holding is imbued with nature’s power."

It's subtle, but precise. *you* have to hold the stick. You can cast the spell through your familiar on the stick, but you still need to hold the stick
    Similarly, the wording of shocking grasp says "Lightning springs from your hand to deliver a shock to a creature you try to touch." The only way any spell functions with Find Familiar is if you treat the familiar as "you". Thankfully the Find Familiar spell says "when you Cast a Spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell." So since the familiar is treated as the caster for the purposes of delivering the spell, it's safe to treat it as "you" for the purposes of holding the club or staff in question.