New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default To the 9th (Plots)

Note: this thread is meant to be a "Plot Hook" place for Planar Adventuring. Astral, Ethereal, Shadow/fell, Feywild,
    Inner and Upper, Middle, and Lower Outer.

While it might start with Fiends👹 it isn't meant to be limited to them.

Spoiler: Rant
    Show
    I don't Run any of the Sentient Beings (Int and Wis 8+) as Stupid.
    The tropes of Lawful Stupid/Good, Fiendish Morons, and Chao-Idoitic are not used or really tolerated in my games.

Hell/Inferno
    1 Avernus.Bel under Zariel
    2 Dis Dispater
    3 Minauros Mammon
    4 Phlegethos Fierna - Belial
    5 Stygia Levistus
    6 Malbolge Glasya
    7 Maladomini Baalzebul
    8 Cania Mephistopheles
    9 Nessus Asmodeus

Spoiler: Ranks of Devils
    Show

01 Lemer
    02 Nupperibo (cr 2) (Demotion only)
    03 Spined/Spinagon (Legion/Merregon CR 3)

Lesser
    04 Bearded
    05 Imp (v)
    06 Steel/Bueroza CR 6
    07 Chain
    08 Harvester/Falyugon or Pain (cr 7) and Erinyes (Amnizu/Guardian CR 7)
    09 Amnizu (Orthon CR 8)

Greater
    10 Bone/Orthon -> Demoted to Malebrabche
    11 Barbed
    12 Gurlugon/Ice - Demoted to Xerfilstyx
    13 Horned or Pleasure/Brachina (CR 11) (Promoted Erinyes)
    14 Assassin
    15 Paeliryon (Xerfilstyx CR 15)
    16 Pit Fiend
    --------------------
    17 Duke
    18 Archdevil
    19 Archduke
    20 Ruler of Inferno

Ok. Some might not like this, but (IMO) LE as applied in Inferno/Hell is all about the letter of any agreements, written and spoken. All Loopholes will be exploited to maximum effect.
    Only the Genies can compete, here.

Inferno is the Worst Reflection of Mortal Societies.
    Cooperative efforts are more "ingrained habits" than helpful to the community. All "assistance" comes with a Price. So, think the worst combination of para-military structure with an absolute corrupt government bureaucracy.

Finally: Devils prefer to behave 'Like civilized folk'. Which means that violence is either necessary, profitable or unavoidable.

First, this assumes that the DM is already familiar with the Realm Features and Archduke of each Level of Hell.

Also, it seems that all the Lesser Devils can now be found on all the Levels.
    With some types being more common on some Levels.
    Like Ice Devils on Stygia.
    But also found in Cania.

It's going to be hard making this where Hooks can be applied without knowing the number of PCs, their Class/Subclass, and more importantly each PC's
    Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws.
    DMs are encouraged to modify anything to better fit these.

Ok. Let me see:
    Archdukes, Archdevils, and even Pit Fiends can effectively grant Wishes to Mortals that have made a Deal or have signed a Contract with them. Usually in exchange for their Soul, but other "Favors" can be substituted, if included in the original agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I'd like to see some campaign hooks made for Mister Impy (Moloch) made up for DMs to steal.
    For this exercise, I'm going to go with the fact that the only one that knows Moloch's "Imp Curse" is Asmodeus, who can recognize Moloch in that form.

Second, that while Moloch loses a lot of his Archdevil power while being an Imp, he still retains some power even in that form (which sets him apart from the other Imps). As such, he still retains his LR, LA, Wish and Teleport Abilities.

Third: Remember that outside Hell (Inferno!) Moloch is an impressive Archdevil.

Edit
    Everyone knows that the Imp Triptot "works" for Moloch, and will gladly trade Information with him.

The "female" Imp Yaaqu is his most eager informant.

Those Devils that have earned enough Status for a Promotion, but can't get it through their normal Chain of Command, can arrange a meeting with Moloch in Sigil through any Imp.

**Start Point One**
    Moloch visits Sigil often, and is willing to sell information about Hell, and the Archdukes and Archdevils for gold.

The PCs actually seek Moloch out for this information, most likely for "retrieving" someone from Hell.

Moloch will gladly exchange basic information.
    And will offer a Bargain for providing transportation to Hell.

**Start Point Two**
    Use the classic "Gem-Eyed Fiend Statue" (which actually is dedicated to Moloch) as the means to send the PCs to Hell.
    (Most likely to the Sixth Level, and not the First Level, since I allow other Archdevils to override the "no magical shifting between Levels" rule by Asmodeus.)

This immediately alerts Moloch, who will follow the Party into Hell, become an Imp; and offer his services as a guide and adviser.

Moloch will play the part of the "helpful Imp" to the hilt.

I'd also steal a little from the Effreet's playbook, and have him grant Wishes (does not require saying "I wish", and can be implied: "By thunder I could use a magic weapon about now!" With the weapon they are holding {or the next weapon 'found'} becoming a +2 weapon that also does 2d6 thunder damage - Etc) that are made nearby Moloch - and not tell anyone how that happened or that there are "strings" attached.
    (Note: there should be some clue/s to allow the Players to figure out what's going on, though)

Now, this can go quite a few directions.
    1) The Party simply makes their way up the First Level of Hell to maybe "fight" their way out.

2) Moloch leads them directly to Glasya's Palace, and hopes they take her out. He most likely does a vanishing act to avoid going inside.

3) The PCs know the location of a desired Item, and Moloch "helps" along the way.

This can include:
    The Wizard wanting to "acquire" a rare spellbook from the Library of Mephistopheles, preferably while he's "out".

The Warrior wants a magical Sword (or whatever) from the Armory of Bel (or Beal or Archduchess Zariel.)

The Cleric/Druid wants a Holy Relic possessed by the Devils.

The Rogue wants to get into Mammon's Treasure Room...

What are your ideas?
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-23 at 09:45 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

2. - Top - End - #2

Lizardfolk

Default Re: To the 9th

I think it looks really cool!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

3. - Top - End - #3

BlackDragon

Thanks!!

Geryon
    Sigh. Why is this guy a Devil?

His (DMG/MtoF) background sounds too pathetic to even make into a "powerful" Demon.

With some work, I might be able to reforge this guy into a Demon Lord.

So, first get rid of the Minotaurs, that's Baphamut's gig.

Keep the Horn for calling Minions, though.

Ok, so Tauric (who remembers that template?) Human/Snake with Bat Wings and a Scorpion's tail.

Check.

So, various snake-type demon minions with the top being a competitor to the Yuan-ti.
    Need a name for these.

And the Yuan-ti hate Geryon!!

Still has that love of Blood and Carnage, so no problems there.

But, under the masquerade of insanity, lies a calculating mind.

Geryon seeks to cause your Fall by suckering you into a fight in the first place.
    Doesn't matter who wins the fight itself, it's the point that the fight wasn't necessary.

Geryon's Cultists are a strange bunch, both seeking to undermine society and "get snake-y".

Archdevil
    Now, we need to get an actual being worthy of this title

I'm thinking a Bone Devil, here.
    Mostly because of the Scorpion's tail, but also because they look cool.

Tralzog

This Bone Devil's ascension to Archdevil took everyone by surprise, mostly because no one Promoted 'him'. Tralzog slowly gathered power by absorbing fallen foes, as well as Secretly taking over several Devil Cults (but not Archdevil or Archduke) and collecting Souls.

Tralzog commands an army of Bone Devils, which he makes sure are bound to him by contracts.

Seeing an opportunity in Stygia, Tralzog asserted his power and became an Archdevil and moved to remove Levistus, but was foiled in the attempt.

Tralzog is unsure exactly how that happened, but has retreated to gather his Bone Devil followers and plot a new tactic.

Tralzog has figured out that he needs Status, and now seeks to acquire Allies among the other Archdevils and Archdukes.

Thoughts?

Don't be shy, Folks!
    Drop in your Ideas:

Celestials, Fey, more Fiends, other?
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-08 at 11:52 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

It's time to address the Hellfire Engine in the room.

Levistus
    Now that I've replaced the insane Geryon, Levistus needs to be more on the ball to not lose his Archduke Status.

I'm going with a classic trope, and stepping on the toes of both the Demon Lords and Moloch - more than a little.

Possession, at least in part.
    Since Levistus is trapped in Ice, he can't increase his Status, but he can at least maintain (if not increase) his Power by 'Telepathically communicating' with his minions.

Unknown by most (and only suspected by Asmodeus) Levistus actually imparts a portion of his power (and Personality) into a chosen minion, who then transfers it to a mortal vessel.
    Cult members (Tiefling are preferred) are chosen first, but anyone seeking a Deal/Contract with Levistus are also given this 'gift'.

Levistus is directly connected to these "shards" and can even channel his Archduke powers through the vessel, usually granting "Wishes", and creating Warlocks connected to him by the dozen.
    Killing the vessel only returns the "shard" (along with the vessel's Soul) to Levistus.

For the most part, Levistus stays out of the Political Intrigue Game, quite content in letting the other Archdukes think he's "retired".
    But, Levistus is fully engaged in the Mortal World, and seeks out and undermines (even hiring Adventurers to destroy) all other Cults.

As for defending his "position" on Stygia, Levistus will grant his power (similar to a Warlock) without the "shard" - to contractually trusted Minions to lead the rest in this endeavor.
    Note: Personally, I'm going with Levistus floating around the Fifth Level of Inferno in a block of Ice; instead of being "buried in the depths of the Plane."

Levistus keeps only three physical Shards that function like every other "Shard", but are mainly used as a means to maintain contact with his followers.
    Legendary Item. Attunement. Automatically blends into the wearer's skin at chosen Location.
    These are carefully guarded and kept as secret as possible, to the point where even True Seeing won't reveal one.

One of these Shards is "owned" by Lyvaxiz (Lie-vax-iz) - a rather Bold (for an Imp) Individual. Strangely, this Imp isn't after a Promotion (at least not anything less than the Rank of an Assassin Devil, with the added condition of retaining his memories and improved Personality) but will acknowledge and accept Status Points. Lyvaxiz loves using the Shard to Plane Shift to the Mortal World to seek out susceptible Souls.
    Gihiskidin the Deulist's Chasme.
    Hall of The Vanquished

*Replace the Pillar of Geryon
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-13 at 11:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you read Dante's Inferno? It's great for getting ideas for doing hell, since it is the origin of the D&D version for the most part. While it can lead to some very archetypical ideas, it is in itself a fascinating read what with it being a book about hell and such without being a 200 page ramble about depression or the pointlessness of life or anything.

For the snakes, maybe Colubrites? It's a very large group of snakes, and some of the Colubrids are in fact venomous.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-06-28 at 07:40 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Have you read Dante's Inferno?

For the snakes, maybe Colubrites? It's a very large group of snakes, and some of the Colubrids are in fact venomous.
    Snaxier (sn-AX- ier) for the various types of devil snakes.

Kolubrex (KO-lu-brex) = Tauric Snakes (without Wings or Scorpion Tail)

It's been soooo long since I read Dante's.
    Not sure I'll be able to read it again, since reading Novel type books on my phone is hard on my eyes.

If you're interested, go ahead and post your ideas based on Dante's.

Thoughts on Tralzog?

He does know that he needs more Cultists in the Mortal World, and is working on that.

The only remaining Archdevil I'm really interested in is Titivillus.

But, he's mostly your "secret Boss" type.
    He finds it much more convenient to simply maintain the status quo, and slowly gather Power.

And Dispator has become too paranoid to effectively remain an Archduke.
    * We can work on replacing him, either with
    Titivillus, or someone new.*

Bael and Bel are warrior types mostly repeating each other, with maybe some slapstick from Bel.

I'll see if I can get into the remaining Archdukes.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Ok, I found this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronounceable View Post

extra random tidbit that I'll never ever manage to get into an entry at any point ever: Bensozia got zero respect after being crowned Domina Infernus due to being a demon convert, so swore to leave Big A and be demoted to imp if any devil could beat her on the arena. Only one devil took her up on it and only on the day she was expected to give birth. She popped Glasya out during the fight and left her screeching on the ground until she won. Then she tore off the challenger's entrails and fed them to the baby and nobody questioned her empressity again.

Glasya still has the biggest chip of the planes on her shoulder cos she'll never be half as cool as mom.
    The History on Bensozia is nice.

Glasya's "I'm going to be cooler than mom" attitude fits for Daddy's (am NOT!) Little Girl.

Glasya's court members include quite a few (non warrior) Erinyes and their promoted types, Pleasure Devils: who do their best to give Succubi a run for their money. There is no need for a Devil version of Incubi, as any male Archdevil/duke fills that role.

And, yes, I'm keeping the "very few Devil types can reproduce" rule, here.
    I agree with the statement (by member?) about Sex not having an Alignment.

Using it to Temp mortals into doing Evil things to get sex is what Succubi and similar Fiends are up to.
    Pleasure Devils love to motivate Husbands into affairs.

Spoiler: PG 13
    Show
    Sex is usually a lead up to The Bedroom Door - with the classic TV trope of Fade To Black. Use my Alternate Tiefling methods (making a Deal can turn you - or your Descendant/s - into a Fiend) to avoid the sex scene.

Edit:
    Fiendish Codex 2

"Glasya is an articulate Archdevil (now Duchess) with a mocking attitude, who loves to play verbal games with captured Servants of Virtue (self-righteous paladins and corruptible Church Elders) before dispatching them to her torture Chambers. Helpless foes with high Charisma can prolong their lives by feigning openness to her Corrupting sexual advances."

Glasya welcomes all Devils into her Castle, and provides Chambers comfortable for their type, from Pit Fiend to Ice Devil.

Glasya has also "stolen" High Ranked Devils from all the other Archdukes, with consequences yet to be revealed.

Tartach is a well known Court Member, who plots against his former Master: Baalzebul.
    Encountered on Malbolge:
    Giant Spiders, Centipedes, and Wasps.

Paeliryon and Erinyes.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-11-15 at 11:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Default Re: To the 9th (Plots)

Belzebul

Am I the only one annoyed when Game Designers (and companies) "curse" a powerful entity with some Lame Joke?

Like with Belzebul being turned into some Large/Huge Slug with a Devil's head?

Sure, it's a little ironic, but after awhile it just causes him to be overlooked by DMs when thinking about a Fiendish BBEG to Challenge their Players, where they take him seriously.

So, I'm changing the "Curse" for this guy to being a Huge Chasme.
    I think this is far more Hilarious.

Belzebul can use his Archduke powers to transform into Human form, but only for an hour a (mortal) day. Which does not need to be consecutive. He can change the size of his Fly form at will.

Now I know what you're thinking.
    "The Lord of Flies" seems a lame thing to be, for an Archduke. But, think in terms of numbers that put all but the most Legendary Hordes to shame, with Belzebul controlling them in Tactical ways that would make Napoleon green with envy.

Belzebul is the guy folks go to when you want another Town or Farmland destroyed.
    His Cults are both sneakier and better defended than most others.
    And are actually most likely to be found in Dark Caves in remote Areas.

So, here are some of my Ideas:
    I'll most likely be needing help figuring out the CR for these.

Fly Swarm
    CR 4 (?)
    AC 16 HD 6d8+30 HP 70 Fly 50

STR 08 (-1) DEX 18 (+4) CON 20 (+5)
    INT 04 (-3) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 10 (0)

Damage Immunities: Poison, Fire
    Damage Resistances Cold, Lightning, Thunder.
    Condition Immunities poisoned, Fear, prone.
    Senses blindsight 10 ft., darkvision 120 ft.
    Saving Throws Dex +6, Wis +3
    Skills: Perception +3

Anyone within this fifty foot diameter swarm must make a Constitution Save DC 14, or be affected by the Poisoned condition (no poison damage).

If a creature remains within the swarm for an hour, they must make another Constitution Save or receive one level of Exhaustion.

Wylfly
    CR 6 (?)
    Medium Fiend
    AC 12 HD 5d8+10 HP 30
    Bite +3 melee 1d6+1 piercing.
    Multiattack.

STR 10 (+0) DEX 12 (+1) CON 15 (+2)
    INT 08 (-1) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 10 (0)

Damage Immunities: poison, Fire
    Damage Resistances Cold, Thunder, non-magical P/B/S damage.
    Saving Throws Dex +3, Wis +2
    Skills Perception +4
    Languages Infernal, telepathy 120 ft.

Pact Tactics.
    ---------------
    Yeah, and then there's the horseflies the size of an actual horse!

Horxfly
    CR 8 (?)
    Large Fiend.
    AC 15 HD 12d10+12 HP 84 Flight 100 speed 30.
    Bite +8 Hit 2d6 piercing damage.
    Multiattack: bite twice.

STR 15 (+2) DEX 15 (+2) CON 12 (+1)
    INT 08 (-1) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 10 (0)

Damage Immunities: poison, Fire
    Damage Resistances cold, Thunder, non-magical P/B/S damage.
    Saving Throws Dex +5, Wis +5
    Skills Perception +5
    Languages Infernal, telepathy 120 ft.
    -------------
    Houzfly
    CR 14 (?)
    Huge Fiend

HD 30d10+150 HP 330 AC 21

STR 25 (+7) DEX 15 (+2) CON 20 (+5)
    INT 10 (+0) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 06 (-2)

Multiattack: 3 bite +12 melee. 5d10+7 damage.
    10 foot reach.

Legendary Actions
    (1 use) Bite, (1 use) Flyby attack up to 50 feet,
    (2 uses) Thunderwave in a 50 foot cube around it.

Constitution Save DC 17 or 7d10 poison damage, and poisoned for 1 minute.

Above Immunities and Resistances as Devils.
    Immune to Thunder and to non-magical P/S/B.

Sentinel, Mobility, and Alert Feats.

While flying - all ranged attacks have disadvantage.
    Maladomini

Zombie infested City Runes in Decaying Forests.
    Rivers of Sludge everywhere.
    Grenpoli (Town) = ok.

Exploring this Realm is to be constantly surrounded by what might be considered the aftereffects of a major War in a tainted and disease ridden land.
    I'll do some research and see what needs to be done with Beelzebul's stats.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-11-16 at 08:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

I strongly encourage DMs to read both Fiendish Codexs and On Hallowed Ground, for details on how the Various Planes work, and the general behavior of occupants.

For Adventuring Plot ideas, The Codexs and Heavens Warriors, and Devils Deal.

Corruption (pg 30 FC 2) is a great way to go for changing people into "clanks".
    I'll check FC 1 to see if there is anything similar.

For my games: I'm not sure about including the representatives for Evil Deities in either Inferno or the Abyss. Evil doesn't play nice with anyone.

Devil shinagines occur over Unmarked Souls, whenever they appear on the Shelves of the Damned.

Revenge Plots for lost Status can last Generations!!

While it was named, little information for the LE City-state of Kretor was given.

Same for Darkspine, which is somewhere (?) in Hell.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-23 at 04:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlackDragon

I'm on a roll!!

Dispater
    Ok, I'm nixing that Paranoid fool, and replacing him with another Devil that stole his name, but not his appearance.

He appears as a Handsome Blue Tiefling, standing 5'9" tall and slender build, with spiraling horns that spear forward. He has Green Eyes, and Crimson Hair.
    He never yells, and in fact him ceasing to talk is a sign of danger.

This Dogai was promoted secretly by Titivilus, who stole the Old Duke's Power and gave it to him, the Dogai's True Name is kept between them, and never spoken out loud. Calls and Summons to Dispater will cause him to appear normally.
    Spoiler: Name
    Show
    I'm leaving this empty to allow DMs to use their own Name for him, thus never being usable in another DM's Game. Ninja!!

Lilis, The Consort knows he's different, but does not know what Devil type he was before being promoted. She will pay very Greatly for that information.

This Archduke is very much active, and handsomely rewards any Devil (usually Imps) with information on new arrivals in the City, or anywhere on the Dis Level.

Dressed in clothes fit for a noble that flatter his natural colors, he is a smooth talker, and knowledgeable in all kinds of etiquette.
    He is famous for throwing grand dinners.
    And Ambushing participants along with his 30 chosen Dogai Devils.

Dis City

Ok. This place just annoyed me.
    A LOT
    A twisting maze of streets with ever changing buildings?
    Please.

That is FAR too cHaOtic for the Lawful nature of Inferno.

Being trapped in a near endless Maze is patented by The Lady of Pain in Sigil. And only Baphamut can pull off a copy with any real believably. The chances of you figuring out the location of the Exit is very difficult, but not impossible.

So, I'm changing this to be more like it being a huge Sprawled-out City, and all the buildings are only three stories tall and look exactly alike: Grey stonework walls, dull Ash doors, and mirror-like windows in impossibly straight rows on upper floors.

The streets run in straight lines and intersections are "perfect" 90 degree interactions.

All attempts to mark any building, or put up Name Signs for streets, vanish as soon as you walk away, and look back.

The Iron Tower is in the exact center of the City, and The Pleasure Gardens are nearby.

Daytime means sweltering heat, and Nighttime means freezing breezes.

Even Devils with Int and Wis of less than 10 get lost, here. PCs can make a Saving Throw DC 14, choosing either Int or Wis, every hour to not get lost.

There are Countless People (of every imaginable Race) in this City, and the city is active all all hours.

All are absolutely too busy to care about anyone else, though. Getting anyone's attention requires a DC 18 Charisma check, with one of these being added: Persuasion, Deception, or Intimidate.
    Only one attempt per person, should be allowed.

Offers of money (never less than 1,000 gold) or magic items (never less than Uncommon) bypass this. But only for specific information or a certain task, never exceeding an hour. DMs are encouraged to increase the price a LOT for each extra hour.
    The same person the next day, will charge extra.

But, you're most likely to be noticed by one of the Imps wandering these streets.
    Getting their aid is easy (one gold per hour, each) since this allows them to Tempt you, or at least gather information on you to sell to the new "Boss".

Higher rank Devils can be Encountered, the Higher Level the PC or Party, the higher the Rank attracted.

Gangs of people do exist in this City, these are extremely hostile, and they all Stick together with fanatic loyalty.

Keep in mind that the phrase "Concrete Jungle" very much applies in this City.

Murder is as common as copper coins on the Mortal World.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-11-16 at 08:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

Minauros

Mammon
    Ok. Another Serpent-type Devil.
    That also acts more Chaotic (insane+paranoid) than should be allowed, here.

And, I'm kinda tired of super sneaky "backstabbing" Devils. It's supposed to a Surprise/B/gif moment, which means that it's Rare!! Not expected.

So, make this guy a Fiend where half his body is covered in dark green snake scales, complete with a bright blue Snake Eye. The other side is the expected Human (light red skin) appearance and regular Eye with Red Pupil.

Now, the book says that he is scheming to get more Power (or Status) to hopefully impress Glasya again. But, that last part was mostly what I concluded.

This guy is also supposed to be the Ultimate Banker combined with the smoothest Con-man. Money is supposed to be considered the Root of Evil, and he plays on that.

Oh, and his Cultists are NOT interested in becoming any kind of snake.

They are interested in becoming Stupid Rich. But, too lazy to actually be Adventurers.
    Oh, and you're never going to find these people out in some dank cave system.
    The basement of a middle class store or house, much more likely.

Minauros City
    Yet another City?
    Fine
    But, I'm going Byou, here.
    Wooden Structures on Stilts the size of trees, rising out of the (Lightly Forested) Swamp, gathered together close enough to be loosely called a City. Ditch the walls, those were both worthless and pathetic.

Those without a Swim speed are reduced to half speed. Trees are not spaced close enough to be used as a form of Travel, but are close enough to slow flight to half.
    Forget anything to do with wheels, and even Horses have trouble Traveling anywhere on this Level. Foul-Tempered Large Fiendish Geckos (with nasty teeth) that can both swim and climb, are their replacement.

Swamp
    Keep the Worm.

Add Fiendish Great Crocodiles.

LE Froghemoths that are smart, but rarely talk. Absolutely not interested in money.
    When you can convince one to Negotiate: Rare Information and Souls have full value.

Jangling Hiter
    Ok. This can pass as a very limited version of one of the Prisontowns of Carceri.
    Applies only to Inferno-marked and captured Souls.

I'm changing "Labyrinth" of Truth to "Library".
    Mental mazes are not true Labyrinths.

Phlegethos

I swear, D&D just loves to show how pathetic and self-defeating Devils (and Demons, etc) are in most (let's be honest, Christian) stories.
    The "moral" lesson is that being Evil is never rewarding. Which is fine, for Sunday School.

As I have already posted, putting Moral Lessons into any RPG has always ended in disaster, with me sitting at an empty Table as a result. I keep those "lessons" as subtle as possible in my games.

Now, I like the Trope of a Person being clever enough to beat Devils at their own Game, but also love letting the Players figure out how their Characters do so. Some Metagaming might be needed, which is fine, so long as it doesn't interfere with the fun of the game.

Belial
    Now, I'm changing this guy. While he prefers to let another Archdevil be "The Judges" (currently Zammasira the Cornugon, and Shamane the Paeliryon) at every Infernal Trial, he is the consummate Prosecutor.
    Like having Perry Mason ("According to this Evidence and these Records...") plus Columbo ("Just one more Question") being the annoying guy taking your Defenses apart.

Belial doesn't really have Cultists, per se.
    More like corrupt Judges and similar law enforcement officials paying homage.

Fierna
    Now, like a lot of other hard*** fathers, Belial's daughter is "The Teen Rebel".

Her being the Party Girl of Inferno is fine.
    It's a break in the monotony of hardcore punishments.

But, never forget that Fierna is an Archduchess, and is a Very Clever Girl, if a bit naive when it comes to trusting "friends" like Glasya.
    In the Mortal World, she's the Queen of Gossip. She also doesn't have "organized Cults", just lots of malicious Busybodies.

Fierna has a court filled with the Souls of Criminals and Spies, and she has lots contacts with Assassin Devils.

Hellhounds are abundant on this Level.

Archdevils
    Balan, Bathym, Gaziel, Gaza, (Pit Fiend),
    Zapan, Chamo with Deputy Zaebos.

I don't have any more Cities in Inferno:
    As such Abriymoch is a Town.

I'll keep reading, and posting my Thoughts.

About halfway through Inferno.
    Then I'll work on the Abyss.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-11-15 at 11:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Imagine being thrown into the worst Prison that ever existed, all because someone filed a Lawsuit against you.

And your only hope is either someone filing an Appeal on your behalf, or straight up busting you out!!

Welcome, to Carceri
    Names of prominent Individuals to be added.

Beings of all Alignments can be found here.
    Can you tell the Innocent from the Guilty?

All Armor, Weapons (except daggers), Equipment and material components are taken away.

But, Personal items (even magical) are allowed;
    Rings, Amulets, Jewlery, (Foci) etc.

Think Working Chain Gang with enforced cooperation, here. Liking your team-mates is not required 😈

The (Demodand) Guards are armed with both Longswords and Longbows. Their goal is Capture, as killing is frowned upon, here. The Guards will stabilize downed captives quickly, and return you to your Cell for recovery.

Escaping is Possible:
    Cell = Thieves Tools DC 15
    Block = Stealth DC 17
    Exit = Investigation DC 18
    Manacles = Thieves Tools DC 18. Athletics/Strength DC 20.

Sometimes escape is even encouraged.
    What are you willing to do, and how Low will you go, to achieve Freedom?

I'm thinking that the Dark Wilderness outside is where all the Evil Bipedal Animals end up, unless legally claimed by another Power. (Celestial, Fiend, Fey, or Deity)

Avoiding the Roundup Posse is another worry.

Also - a lot of the Fey love to Hunt here.
    Especially Winter.

Ok, a lot of Mortals think this Demi-Plane has Layers, because this place has every land based terrain, including (Deadly) Plants and (Talking/Evil) Animals - possible, including "Underdark".

But, that's because they don't understand that the different Regions are losely connected to each other by Portals. Crossing into another Region can happen by crossing an invisibile line.

No one knows if there is anyone controlling the Wilderness in this Demi-Plane, and the Jailiers Demodands only control thier own Prison/s.
    Stay tuned….
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-12-19 at 07:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Stygia

Erinyes: Metris, Diorum, Novolar, Baratum

Imps: Balovhomet and Churvodel

Maladomini

Dukes: Baftis (1st Consort), Lilith (2nd),
    Neabaz (Herald of Lies)
    Barbatos (Marshal)

Archdevils (Generals)
    Abigor, Bileth, Zepiar.

Cania

In the spirit of Bounded Accuracy, I'm changing the freezing effect of this Level.

Unless protected, a creature that is not at least Resistant to Cold must make a Constitution Save DC 15 or suffer 4d6 damage and one level of Exhaustion per hour.

Hellcats: Muszeragar, Szagal, Dugabamasze, and K'ugirsu.

Pit Fiends
    Quagrem, Belchard, Buldumech, Guland, Silcharde, and Siphandor.

Dukes:
    Adonides (Steward),
    Barbas (Chamberlain)
    Bele (Justiciar)

Archdevils
    Bifrons, Hutjin, and Nexroth.
    Citidel of Mephistar
    (Town) Kintyre under T'chemox Glacier.
    (Town) Nebulat {Gelugons} on Tuncheth Glacier.

This should wrap up Fiendish Codex 2.

I'll try an keep to one post per Book from now on.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlackDragon

I had to stop trying to read books on my phone.
    It hurts my eyes too much.

Which means that posts here have to wait for those times that I have access to my Tablet.

Abyss

Roles: Assassin, Brute, Corruptor, Manipulator
    Overlord.

Spoiler: Demons
    Show

Subtype: Laimara and Obyrith
    Armanik
    Bar-Lgura
    Broodswarm
    Bulezau
    Chasme
    Dybbuk
    Goristro
    Guecubu
    Lilith
    Mane
    Molydeus
    Nabassu
    Rutterkin
    Sibriex
    Yochlol
    Vrock
    Nalfeshnee

Demon Lords

Note: Each Demon Lord has a Heart Medallion, which is usually given to a worthy Mortal.
    Similar to a Lich's Phylactery, so long as this is not destroyed, that Demon Lord cannot be Permanently killed, even in their own Plane.

Since he's more famous than some actual gods, I think we can let this slide.

DEMOGORGON (demon prince), Demon Prince of Demons
    Domains: science, chaos, evil

e: Also yes, one head is the Demon Prince, the other is the Prince of Demons. It changes randomly.
    Left Head is Aameul with Beguiling Gaze
    Right Head is Hethradiah with Insanity Gaze.

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    I'm not fond of making planar exemplars into gods, especially if you're keeping things like the Great Wheel intact. Demogorgon is the Prince of the Abyss, and the chaos and evil he represents is vaster and more fundamental than any mere Power. If Demogorgon gets deposed, the Abyss will simply find itself a new Prince (presumably whoever deposed him), but there will be no seizing of portfolios or astral corpse or whatever. It's happened before, and it'll happen again. For all the power of the Powers, they are individual actors in a much, much larger brawl between Law and Chaos.
    Orcus
    No real changes.

BAPHOMET (demon prince), Demon Prince of Beasts
    Domains: corruption, violence, weaponry, barbarism, chaos, evil, minotaurs
    (comment)
    While an interesting read, I'm only keeping the fact that positioners dream of becoming Minotaurs. Those that are not deemed Worthy are instead trapped as semi-Sentient Fiendish bovine.

Minotaurs on the Prime Material Plane are actually Mortals. Their not taking **** from anybody applies in full.

Graz'zt
    No real changes.

Geryon. No longer a Devil.

Fraz-Urb'luu hates humans.

Juiblex - Prince of Ooze (Layer 222)
    Increase int, and their goal is to convert every living thing into slimes and oozes.

Obox-ob - Prince of Vermin
    Also increase Int, and seeks to destroy all civilization.

Orcus - Demon Prince of the Undead
    In constant Competition with the Deities of Undeath. Grave Deities seek to destroy Orcus and his minions.

Zuggtmoy - Lady Fungus. (Layer 222)
    Control everyone via mushrooms.

(More?)
    Ok, I'm going to admit it.

Most of the Attitude and Behavior of the major Demon Lords (those that pay attention to Mortals) are covered in Out of the Abyss.

And going through about 45 years of information by myself is daunting.

I'll keep reading (slowly, now) and pondering, and Post, or at least Edit in, any Ideas.

The Modules Heavens Warriors and Devil's Deal are good ideas for Plots, but I would ask you good members to maybe come up with some Names for various Celestials (and Fiends, Fey, etc) to be Quest-qivers for New Plots.

Some Hero/es (Race/Name/Deeds) that need to be rescued from a Fiendish Realm (Carceri?).

The Names of several Innocents that need Assistance, either in the World, or a Fiendish Realm.
    (Baphamut's Maze?)

Going and getting that cheating **** and making sure they get tossed into Inferno or Carceri !!!

A "Sweet Deal" from a Devil for the retreeval (from Mechanus? From the Wanderlands? Or from the Beastlands?) of Escapees (Race/s, Name/s and exact Foul Deeds?) from Cosmic Justice.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-20 at 12:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Hell yea I’m putting in the Blood War, Blood War is the ****. But unlike vanilla, I’m not dumb enough to make it the only thing of importance that ever happens in Planescape that every single thing must inevitably tie back into. It’s big and bad, but not even gonna be the biggest thing in lower planes. Blood War is only massively important to devils (and not even demons) (1)

Back on topic, unlike their goody two shoe counterparts above, the Infernal Hierarchy is a military and not some weakass society of peace and harmony and prosperity. (2) It’s also a pyramid scheme with Big A at the top spot and all the essence/power/strength generated by devils being obedient and resentful goes directly to him. He then distributes it to his archdukes, who’ll then hand out some to their own vassals and miscellaneous archdevils, who’ll do the same in turn so eventually the power will trickle back to the rank and file (which has happened one time in the history of Inferno so it might just happen again any moment now, will say the devil footsoldier confidently).

Speaking of, an archdevil is a “unique” devil whose accomplishments and skill earned it a personal entry in Pact Primeval. These are all those list filling names we can find all over DnD and are above the regular devilish ranks (from imp to cornugon, which I’m kinda keeping). All the named archdukes and dukes and counts and barons and whatevers are archdevils now. The pit fiends got gtfoed, since it’s such an idiotic idea to allow big deal devils to be generic nameless things (and also Inferno is not a pit). (3)
    1 This is very true for my games

2 another truth, but a military backed by a corrupt governmental bureaucracy.

3 Just because Outsiders don’t tell you their Names, doesn't mean it doesn't have one.
    Pit Fiends are the Top of the Infernal Ladder, in regards to Power.
    Dukes, Archdevils, and especially Archdukes have Status (the power of Commanding those below them) on top of Raw Power. While Lower Status Devils can try to command one below their Station, doing so usually requires a written letter of Commandeering or a solid justification for doing so. This system is what separates Devils from Demons.

The Natives of a given Realm/Plane are ‘bound’ there by their Alignment (Beliefs, but mostly Deeds done in Life) and “escaping” actually requires changing that individual's Alignment.
    Unless ‘carried’ by someone able to travel between Realms.

Portals that connect Realms (Demi-Planes) do exist, but most connect to a similar Realm:
    So, going from Inferno to Carceri is more likely than going to Ereshkigal, which is still more likely than getting a direct Portal to the Abyss.

All the Realms have Portals that connect to Cannae, although finding one that goes to Sigil seems random. Only Cannae has Portals to the Astral Plane, which leads to the Mortal World. Sigil somehow bypasses that.

Now, the Blood War (Demon Horde vs Devil Army) happens in it’s own Region of Cannae.
    The fighting on Avernus is actually more semi-sustained Guerrilla fighting, then actual warfare.

Cannae is different then all the other Planes.
    It has unchanging terrain, and obvious borders between Realms.
    Beings of a Region (Like Vikings) are rarely encountered outside it, but it can happen.
    Unlike all the other Spiritual Realms, Cannae doesn’t have any Native Souls/Spirits.

Also, unlike D&D - I’m not neglecting the various Celestials (LG, NG, CG) in all this fighting.
    There’s a reason why it’s called the Moral War.
    These fighting Celestials are found on the fringes of the Blood War.
    Their Job is to make sure the various members remain within the region.
    The different Celestial Factions rarely encounter each other.

Even the War between Summer Fey and Winter Fey happens on Cannae.
    With skirmishes happening within the Feywild, and more rarely - in the Mortal World.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-15 at 03:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

-Flashback-

OMG! It took forever to find decent info on Zariel (MToF) and even that is limited.

She's the shiny new General Archduke.
    Zeal and Fury are fine, but we need to temper that with some Discipline (otherwise she's bound to become a Demon) in order to really keep her here.

Bel is the Tactical Expert, and is simply waiting for Zariel to suffer a defeat big enough to dethrone her.

But, Asmodeus has a Secret Spy:
    (Blank😁) an Archdevil Erinyes that also was a Fallen Angel. (These Erinyes are now very few, since modern Celestials don't make that mistake; with the Souls of LE Warrior Women becoming Erinyes.)
    For now, this Erinyes is Loyal to Asmodeus, but is otherwise friendly towards Zariel.

Zariel's Cult is geared to granting fighting skills and enhanced Abilities to Warriors, at the low cost of becoming an Eternal Warrior in Avernus. Anyone can become either a (Zariel) Tiefling or a (Zariel) Fiend Warlock with seemingly little effort, or cost. (Bogo?)
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-27 at 12:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Pale Night - Obyrith - Another Mystery Lady.
    I’ll need lots of time to really think of what to do with this one.

Pazuzu - Obyrith - loves to Tempt and Corrupt Paladins.

Zuggtmoy - Lady Fungus. (Layer 222)
    Control everyone via mushrooms.

The Obyriths: The Pre-Ancient History doesn’t really help me.
    Also there are no stats for these, I’m not going to bother much with them.
    Unnamed and mysterious things remain Lost.

Loumaras - Incorporeal Demons possessing Mortals is an interesting Concept.
    Maybe someday I will get around to stat-ing some out,

Quite a few of the Factions in the FC 1 are great for Plots.
    (Do some research!!!)

I’m strongly thinking of increasing the Intelligence and Wisdom Scores for all the Demons (except maybe Larva) to not less than Average (10). Otherwise, the very unstable and destructive nature of the Abyss itself would destroy them.

Another thing, while a Demon Lord/Prince can promote Larva (or any Demon) to any type of Demon (especially anything they control or are fond of), promotions within the Abyss are nowhere near as predictable as Inferno; and upon the death of any Demon anywhere in the Abyss causes another one (not always the same Type) to spawn within an hour.

I'll look at Daemons/Yugoloths next.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Yugoloths

Altraloth: Yugoloths who have made pacts with night hags to become unique and powerful creatures, resented as traitors by the rest of their kind. An altraloth sometimes fits a given theme, such as Death, Pestilence, War, and Famine.

Arcanaloth (or arcanadaemon, /ɑːrˈkćnədeɪmən/ ar-KAN-ə-day-mən): Jackal-headed scribes, record-keepers, negotiators, and deal-makers of the yugoloths.

Baernaloth: The ancient progenitors of all other yugoloths.

Canoloth: Doglike scouts and skirmishers.

Corruptor of Fate: Stealthy and cunning manipulators of luck, they often become assassins.

Dergholoth: Serve as infantry and rank-and-file mercenaries. Dergholoths have round bodies with five arms and three legs with insect-like heads.

Echinoloth: Rear echelons of the yugoloth armies, these fiends combine features of a starfish and squid into an unlovely whole.

Gacholoth: Ebony-skinned, four-legged infiltrators and saboteurs.

Hydroloth: Froglike elite forces used for amphibious attacks and ambushes.

Marraenoloth: (or charonadaemon, /kəˈrɒnədeɪmən/ kə-RON-ə-day-mən):
    Skeletal ferrymen on the River Styx.

Mezzoloth: Insectile footsoldiers of the yugoloth armies.

Oinoloth: There is only ever one oinoloth in existence, and he rules in the Grey Waste of Hades from the Wasting Tower.
    (Changed for my games)

Piscoloth: Lobsterlike, Carrion Crawler-headed sergeants and overseers of the yugoloth armies.

Nycaloth: Green, gargoyle-like elite cavalry of the yugoloth armies.

Skeroloth: Dregs of the yugoloth armies.
    Ultroloth: Cruel officers of the yugoloth armies.

Ultroloth: Cruel officers of the yugoloth armies.
    Voor: Tentacled, hulking brutes used as guardians, protectors, bodyguards, and enforcers. Greater versions are known as dreadful lashers.

Yagnoloth: Minor lords with one mighty arm.

Guardian Yugoloths
    These are very easy to Summon.

These creatures, the guardian yugoloths were created by the yugoloths as lesser servants for their mortal allies, and to serve in their stead when powerful wizards call upon them for favors. They are found in least, lesser, and greater varieties.

Battleloths
    These creatures take the shapes of various weapons:

Arrow Battleloth: The weakest of the battleloths; often serve as spies.

Axe Battleloth: Recklessly brave combatants.

Crossbow Battleloth: The most sought-after battleloths due to their versatility.

Pick Battleloth: Vicious, predatory yugoloths that feed on the blood of living creatures.

Spiked Chain Battleloth: Aggressive hunters that hunt down other battleloths for sport.

Sword Battleloth: Independent and wily, and hard bargainers, they demand conquests, glory, and loot.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-26 at 01:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Wikipedia

Celestials
    Get ready for some changes, folks.

Just as I'm taking away some of the (crippling) Flaws from Fiends, I'm adding some (hopefully believable) Flaws to the various Celestials.
    It's like Kirk said: everybody is Human.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    I had intended that they were all Subraces of Celestials (LG, NG, and CG), just like Fiends have three Subraces (LE, NE, and CE) - Just a reminding Note, I don't have TN Exemplars, and no real TN Deities. (Those TN that do exist are Cosmic Powers, and not involved in the Alignment War, and don't gran't Power to anyone.)
    Spoiler: Angels
    Show

Astral Deva These angels watch over lesser beings from the heavens and, in turn, are symbols of sentry and looked upon as messengers. Although avoiding combat whenever possible, Deva loves to strike down evil with a passion, preferring blunt weapons such as maces over blades and piercing weapons.

Planetar angels are legendary warriors and guardians, serving as captains and commanding legions of celestials to war with anything that would threaten the destruction of the cosmos. Like all other celestials, they will attack fiends and demons before anything else, and prefer to mix their vast array of heavenly magic with their mighty greatswords and massive charges.

Solar When the mightiest of the demons, the most hell-bent destructor fiends and the servants of evil deities themselves crawl from the pits of Creation to challenge good, the Solar angels will always be among the defenders. Solar angels are the elite fighting force of justice in the planes, and when not fighting evil, they are in the direct service of the good deities. Solar also featured as the only published epic stat figurine for the lawful good faction in the Blood War set. The Solar's stat card featured extremely high attack power and speed, along with his trademark "slaying arrow" which is able to immediately destroy any creature with 100 health points or less. He was only rivaled by the Pit Fiend in that set

"Angels can be of any good alignment, and can live in any of the Upper Planes instead of being limited to just one."

Nope. Lawful Good.
    While willing to serve dedicated LG Deities, they can leave at any time.

Deva tend to become a bit too focused on smiting Evil.
    Their passion is the greatest reason they Fall.

Planatar are cautious leaders, and this can mean that Evil can gain a strong foothold.

Solar are a bit too impassionate, and focused only on the Greater Good, failing to remember that all members are needed to make the Group.

Spoiler: Archons
    Show

Hammer Archon - Hammer archons strive to root evil out of its hiding places within the earth.

Hound Archon - Canine-headed defenders of the innocent and the helpless against evil.

Justice Archon - Menacing angels resembling radiant warriors clad in bright full plate, wielding glowing greatswords. They consider themselves the purest champions of justice in Celestia. While they do not attack without provocation, they are easily incensed by the mere sight or suspicion of evil.

Lantern Archon - Floating balls of light that give what assistance they can.

Owl Archon - Airborne scouts, messengers, spies, infantry, and protectors of lesser celestial creatures.

Sword Archon - Enforcers of the heavenly laws, its forearms can transform into holy flaming longswords.

Throne Archon - Commanders of the cities of Celestia and the judges of the Heavens, occasionally tasking themselves with meting out justice to the particularly vile or corrupt.

Tome Archon - Prior to changes in the 3.5 BoED these appeared as humanoids with arms and feathered wings protruding from their back. They have very hawk-like heads. They are aloof and dignified creatures who possess powerful intellect, magic, and physical might. There are only seven of these beings, one residing on each of Celestia's layers. They record all things that happen in the Heavens with passionless accuracy and total indifference. As of the 'Book of Exalted Deeds' the nomenclature of Tome Archons was ignored and their descriptions changed.

Trumpet Archon - Celestial messengers and heralds with considerable martial skills.

Warden Archon - Guardians of the gates of the Seven Heavens, and observers of the affairs of the Material Plane.

Word Archon - Using the power of truenames; they ensure such words inspire the good-hearted everywhere.

Neutral Good. Their Flaw is: The fight never ends.
    Burnout is their biggest problem.

Now, I need to change the name of either Celestial or Elemental Archons. (Researching)
    Elemental Havokz (?)

Spoiler: Eladrins
    Show

Coure - Spritelike eladrins that serve more powerful beings as messengers and scouts.

Bralani - Wild and feral eladrins that can assume the shape of a whirlwind or zephyr of dust, snow, or sand.

Firre - Red-haired elven eladrins that protect works of art and the artists who create them.

Ghaele - Knights-errant of the celestials who quietly muster resistance and offer guidance to any of good heart.

Noviere - an aquatic eladrin that dwells on Ossa, the second layer of Arborea.

Shiere - serve and protect Arborea as the noble knights of the eladrin.

Shiradi - battle for freedom across the planes, helping the oppressed, deceived, and less fortunate.

Tulani - The ancient faerie lords of the eladrin, who roam seeking peace, beauty, and solitude.

D&D just loves to change and reuse old words.
    Since these are now Fey Elf PCs, I need another Chaotic Good Exemplar.

Spoiler: Guardinals
    Show

Cervidal – Satyrlike guardinals that form the bulk of any guardinal army.

Equinal – Horselike guardinal; strong, boisterous, and generally good-natured champions of good.

Leonal – Lion-headed guardinal with martial prowess.

Lupinal – Half-human, half-wolf guardinals constantly on the prowl for evil intrusions.

Musteval – Ferretlike guardinal that serve greater celestials as spies, and messengers to humanoid heroes.

Ursinal – Bearlike guardinal; the scholars and philosophers, advisors to the leonals and record-keepers of Elysium

Here are the New CG Exemplars.
    Most likely not found in Elysium.
    Makes a lot more sense (to me) that these would be the "Lords" of the Wanderlands.

For Boss Types: See Name Those Monsters in Roleplaying.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-26 at 01:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

Modrons

Unless I'm Running for a group of Kids, I don't have a use for "cute" Outsiders.

So, I'm very much changing these to be like Advanced (Eberron) Warforged plus Transformers.
    Usually into ordinary objects: Armor, Shields, Weapons, chests, chairs, tables, desks, wagons, etc.

Like Warforged, these constructs tend to obtain Personalities. Which is viewed as a Flaw by Primus, and he orders Memory Wipes often, with little real effect. The Modron March is still a thing, but more actually return.

If I think of anything else to add, I'll edit it in.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Well, Folks, it looks like I've reached the end of the Planar Express.

This Thread staying Alive Depends on if there's any new posts expressing interest in something specific.

Spoiler: Astral Plane
    Show

Bodies of (almost literally) dead Deities don't normally float in the Silver Sea.
    Normally, their former Realm drifts into the Astral as a Lost Demi-Plane and the Deity's body merges with it.
    It is not known (by any Being) if a Dead Deity can be brought back to Life.

The Githyanki have managed to find a Divine Stone Corpse in the Astral, although no one knows how, or why the body has not 'vanished'. Some speculate that the Lich Queen is siphoning power off it, but no one can confirm that, or - if true - figure out how.

One thing I'm changing right away, it the old stance that this plane drains the Memories of a person when they die. It's stupid, and only an excuse to not let Players continue playing the Spirit of their Dead Character. And ignores the point of the old Ghostwalk book.

Souls without Memories are just the Planar equivalent of coins. Especially in the Lower Realms.
    But even the Good Guys want those Souls to remember who thy were, so that Skills and Powers earned are not lost in the Afterlife.

Sure, the longer a Soul stays in any Outer Plane, the more disconnected to the Living World they become.

That said, anyone eaten by an Illithid, an Astral Dreadnought, or an Astral Dragon does arrive on the Plane of their living Alignment without any Memories.

Spoiler: Ethereal Plane
    Show

This plane is mostly just a connection between the Mortal World and the Inner Planes.
    As such, Souls are beyond rare here. People confuse Ghosts being incorporeal as meaning they are Ethereal. They aren't, they are between Material and Astral.

Elementals that die on the Material return to the Ethereal, where they need to find their way Home to recover.

Phase Spiders and similar beings are very much Alive.

Spoiler: Shadow Plane
    Show

Sages simply cannot explain this Plane. Something between Astral and Ethereal; creatures both Living and Undead (Physical and Incorporeal) can be found here.
    Dying within the Shadow Plane has unexpected results.

Reposted.
    Spoiler: Feywild
    Show

I actually have this as a huge Demi-Plane in the Astral Plane, with close connections to the "Nature" parts of the Prime Material Plane.

The Archfey rule parts of the Feywild, and can't prevent (but can repel and expel) incursions from any of the others.

For the Fae: I like to use a lot of the things from Jim Butcher with some additions of my own.
    (I'll eventually get around to the Fomor.
    Most likey trade Slaad (except not Xenomorphic) for them. Much cooler)

There are three Rulers in each Court:
    Princesses: Aurora of Summer and Meave of Winter: the least powerful, but closest to the Mortal World. Still Tier 3 powers, so watch your step.

Queens: Titania of Summer, and Mab of Winter.
    These are the movers of their respective Realms.
    While able to change things in their respective Realms, these are almost always temporary.
    They are more than a match for Tier 4.

The Mothers live together and are mysterious beyond belief: and only the God/s of Nature outrank these two, and if they work together maybe not even then. They can actually Permanently change the "Laws" of the Feywild itself.
    "What's this Tier thing you keep talking about?"

I also have Oberon's Court.
    Prince Kierran is Oberon's grandson.

Cernunnos The Master of the Wild Hunt and King of "The Wild".

I need to work on
    Spring and Autumn. These don't have Courts, and their Rulers are Princess level.

While there are Mortals that worship the Archfey, this does not grant them any real powers, and does not increase the power of the Archfey.

Spoiler: Shadowfell
    Show

Personally, I prefer the Plane of Shadow, and both Ravenloft and the Shadowfell are Demi-Planes in it.

(Click Arrow)

RAVEN QUEEN (lesser goddess), Queen of Ravens, Kingsbane, Fate’s Plaything, Tug of Skulls, Red Mariner, Survivor of the Depths, Mysterious Mistress
    Domains: fate, darkness, defiance, redemption, ravens, fear, pain, dusk, cold, shadar-kai
    Ok, I like this version a little better than the "official" story in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Drop the Deity/Domains. In my games: She's the most known and easily accessible Hexblade Patron, focused on destroying all Undead.
    (The weapon is the physical representation of the Pact {even for Chain and Tome} and acts like a link to the Patron)

I'll keep the first three titles, and the last title is what she (indirectly) tells Mortals.
    (But, I really prefer to have the Lady of Pain in Sigil, as the only Mystery Lady.)

But there are actually quite a few Beings that know RQ's story, and will tell you for a Price.
    Solars, Archfey, Archdukes, Arcanaloths, and Deities of both Knowledge and Secrets.

TL; Fallen Elven Deity that is no longer has any connections to the Elven People.
    Mortal worship will not return her to Deity status.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-24 at 06:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

Not - Quite - Dead.....

I suppose that any specific Subtype can exist, but limited to their (Lord's, if they have one) Region.

Fiendish Codex 1: Simpering and pitiful, the mane is the lowest of the low,
    a feeble tanar’ri formed directly from the soul of an evil creature sent to the Abyss.
    * Dretch are next up.

Larvae are Devil versions

And I don't recall one for NE types.

While researching for this:
    Celestial is the term for all types, with each Subtype named as I have listed: Angels, etc

For Fey Courts: Correct.
    Seelie are Summer and CG - Individuals can be NG
    Unseelie are Winter and CE - Individuals can be NE

Except the Queens, which are Lawful.
    (Just don't make one mad at you, since the
    Queens can make the Law, as long as it doesn't directly oppose the Mothers.)

Direct servants of the Queens tend to be Lawful.

The two Princesses can choose Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic, but still restricted to Good/Evil, as per their Court. (Yes, a Mortal can become a Princess, and doesn't start out with that restriction)

And the "Fey can't lie" rule is enforced by the Mothers. Which no-one can figure out their Alignments beyond Summer = Good and Winter = Bad (usually).

Non-insane CN for "Wild" Fey.
    "Wild" Rulers are typically NG or NE.
    (Truly CN leaders are quickly replaced)

NG for Spring and NE for Autumn.
    Same rules as Court Princesses.

The Formar are typically CE, though Individuals do differ.
    Pixies, Sprites, Nixies, Grigg, and Spriggin (more?) are considered free-ranging "Wild" Fey.
    As always - Individuals can be any Alignment - although if they stay that way too long, they usually end up in the Court that applies.

I found this:
    Demons: The Rod of Seven Parts boxed set (1996), in "Book IV: Monsters", featured statistics for Miska the Wolf-Spider and the Queen of Chaos, along with the spyder-fiends: the kakkuu, the lycosidilith, the phisarazu, the raklupis, and the spithriku. The spyder-fiends later appeared in Monstrous Compendium Annual Four (1998), along with the uridezu (rat-fiend) lesser tanar'ri.

I'll keep looking.

I think that I've covered most everything, so unless someone posts with Comments, Suggestions, Questions, Etc.
    If I think of something to add, I'll just edit that in.

I'll most likely just let this thread die and become information people can look up in the Archive.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-05 at 01:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

Moving things around. Figured this belonged here, more than Ancient Realms.

(Non-imprisoned Evil Titans and Deities Named here, have their own Demi-planes that are strongly connected to Carceri)

(Note: I decided to move the Demi-plane Caceri to Ereshkigal. Caceri itself is neither Chaotic enough to go into the Abyss or Lawful enough to go into Inferno, but is still evil enough to drop into here.)

Scattered throughout Caceri are Prisons, either Huge Building of Stone and Steel, with level after level of Cells, or Large Camps that don’t need Walls, or even Fences. These Guards love hunting you down!!

This Realm has six “layers”contained inside each other in a similar manner to the shells of a matryoshka doll. Each layer consists of a series of orbs floating in an infinite black void.

Light is provided by the orbs only; as one progresses through the layer, the light diminishes, and the orbs are separated by larger and larger distances.

The Bastion of Lost Hope, a fortress controlled by the Revolutionary League, can be found on Carceri.

Skullrot, an asylum run on behalf of the Demon Lord Graz'zt by his lich-fiend lieutenant, Dark Myrakul, may also be found on Carceri.

The fallen Celestial Adimarchus is currently imprisoned in Skullrot, exiled from his role as Demon Lord of the 507th Layer of the Abyss, Occipitus.

First
    Othrys, consists of a war-ravaged landscape of swamps and stagnant rivers crossed only by spotted ranges of mountains.

Several Greek Titans live on Othrys in the realm of Mount Othrys.

Furthermore, (Japanese) Raiden maintains his Palace of Thunder on Othrys.
    God of Thunder, Patron of Fletchers, is a greater god. He and his worshippers are true Lawful neutral.
    Fletchers among his followers may in the course of their lifetime make ten exceptional arrows which will become arrows of slaying mortals; however, only the god himself will know which arrows they are.

Second
    Cathrys (also called The Crimson Jungle), is a layer of thick jungles and open plains of razored grass.

Talona's realm, the Palace of Poison Tears (Demiplane), can be found on Cathrys, as can The Steading, the realm of hill giant deity Grolantor. (Demiplane)

Third
    Minethys, is a parched layer of crimson glowing sand and biting, desiccating sandstorms.

Notable locations on Minethys include Coeus' Temple, dedicated to the Titan of the same name;

The Mausoleum of Pain of the dragon god Faluzure (Demiplane)
    Karontor's Rack of Injustice; is the Giant deity of deformity, hatred, and beasts.
    His symbol is the head of a winter wolf.

Trickster's Delight, the realm of the naga deity Parrafaire. (Demiplane)

[center]Fourth[center]
    Colothys, consists of jagged, unforgiving mountains and sudden chasms with little flat ground to find refuge.

Crius' Temple, dedicated to the Titan of the same name, can be found here.

Ellaniath, the realm of the drow deity Vhaeraun, his home realm was called Ellaniath, the whereabouts of which were unknown as the Masked Lord wiped the memories of any visitor.

and The Land of the Hunt, realm of the god Malar.
    (Has his own Demi-plane, connected to both Caceri and the Beastlands.)

Fifth
    Porphatys, is a cold layer dominated by a shallow, acidic ocean, cut only by sand bars and drifts of semi-solid acid snow.

Oceanus' Temple, dedicated to the Titan of the same name.

Sixth
    Agathys, consists of a single orb of black ice alone in the void, almost completely devoid of light and sound, with only the shifting and breaking of ice and the slow, crushing agony of petitioners frozen in it being heard.

Apomps' Three-Sided Palace, realm of the demodand (gehreleth) lord Apomps

The god Nerull from the World of Greyhawk setting also makes his home on Agathys.
    (Nope! Demiplane)

Fauna

Tarterian dragon
    Breath weapon: Line of disruptive force, cone of will-sapping gas
    Terrain: Tarterian Depths of Carceri
    Alignment: Neutral Evil or Chaotic Evil
    Current Source: (3.5) Draconomicon pg 189

Vaath
    Gautiere
    Titans (nopes)
    Gehreleth (Demodand)

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

Here is my attempt to convert for Rogue from 3x into 5e

Gatecrasher

Bonus Language: At 3rd A gatecrasher gains a free language commonly spoken on other planes. Such languages include Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal, and Primordial (Aquan, Auran, Ignan, and Terran). The DM may expand this list to fit the cosmology of the campaign. Additional bonus languages are gained at 4th, 7th, and 10th levels.

Open Portal: At 3rd level, a gatecrasher's understanding of planar forces extends to the workings of magic portals, such that they may detect a Portal as if it was a Secret Door, and force Portals open without the correct device, spell, or key. The gatecrasher makes an Intelligence (Investigate) check to locate a Portal; and then makes a Thieves Tools check using their Intelligence modifier instead of Dexterity modifier.
    Opening a portal takes 1 round of work and a successful check. It is a full-round action. The portal remains open for 1d10 rounds afterward.

Portals typically have the following DCs:
    Typical Keyed Portal 15
    Sealed Portal 20
    Unique Portal 30

Planar Survival: At 9th level, a gatecrasher becomes attuned to the nature of the planes he visits and personally immune to their natural planar effects. The gatecrasher is immune to the "normal" fires of the Elemental Plane of Fire, but fire-based attack forms and unusually fiery areas there still affect him. Because this extraordinary ability is the result of attuning himself to a particular plane, the gatecrasher remains vulnerable to the same sort of damage in other planes where that attack form is not part of the natural order. Fires on other planes, including the Material Plane, affect him normally.

Comprehension: Upon reaching 9th level The gatecrasher gains Advantage when searching for - or disabling locks.

Scramble Portal: At 9th level, a gatecrasher gains the ability to scramble a portal usable three times a day. Anyone attempting to use a Scrambled Portal must make an Intelligence Save taking 32 (8d6) Psychic Damage on a failed save, and half as much on a success. In addition, the Person has a chance to be shifted into a random Plane. Use the Teleport Error Chart as an example.

Advanced Comprehension: Upon reaching 13th level The gatecrasher gains Advantage when searching for - or disabling magic locks.

Planar Dampening: A 13th-level gatecrasher can emit a field that suppresses spells and spell-like abilities within a 30-foot radius that access other planes. The gatecrasher can activate planar dampening three times per day. It lasts for 1 minute. Existing spells and spell-like abilities are unaffected; a gatecrasher can't end a foe's astral projection just by moving nearby. But spells cast after the gatecrasher emits the planar dampening field are affected: An opponent within 30 feet couldn't escape the gatecrasher with a dimension door spell or get reinforcements with a summon monster spell, for example.
    The gatecrasher's planar dampening ability affects the following spells and spell-like abilities: astral projection, banishment, blink, commune, contact other plane, dimension door, dismissal, ethereal jaunt, etherealness, gate, interplanar message, Leomund's secret chest, make manifest, mass manifest, maze, Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion, plane shift, reality maelstrom, rope trick, teleport, teleportation circle, teleport without error, and vanish. Furthermore, summoning and calling spells can only reach creatures from the same plane, and spells from the shadow subschool only work on the Plane of Shadow. The banishment effects of blasphemy, dictum, holy word, and word of chaos are suppressed, although the spells otherwise function normally.

Plane Shift: At 17th level, a gatecrasher may move from plane to plane twice per day as a spell-like ability.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-10-28 at 01:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

New Demon (replacing Succubi)

Lilin (female)/Lilu (Male)

https://non-aliencreatures.fandom.co...file=Lilin.png

http://www.netipedia.com/index.php/Lilin

Need some more research. Removing the Child stealing.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Bit of a late comment but it might be helpful, I did an adventure recently where I cast a Glasya cultist as the villain in an "Evil Witch" sort of vein. Anyway I got a lot of fun using the necrotic cyst line of spells, re-flavoured as a prophane gift from Glasya. They alow for some neat RP (Necrotic Scrying proved very helpful in explaining how she had the entire town under her thumb) and, well, they are unholy tumours, they fit her so well.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Evil DM Mark3
    Bit of a late comment but it might be helpful
    It's never too late, really.
    If this Thread 'Dies', just send me a PM.

That's an interesting idea, might use that in a game.

And thanks for posting!!!
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-11-19 at 08:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

something to read and ponder
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/677-...e-lower-planes
    Edits will happen - here....