New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Editing posts in dead threads (over 45 days)

I recently had occasion to pull up some of my old posts, looking for something I'd tossed out years ago. I saw some typographical errors and a few places where a link would have been useful, or a reference was stale. I was about to casually correct some of those, but it occurred to me that this might count as resurrecting a dead thread.

Does editing a post in a thread over 45 days idle count as thread necromancy, or is that restricted to replying to the post? Not knowing how the site software works, I don't know if that would suddenly make the thread show up on everybody's "recent updates" view and lead to a bunch of replies. Contrariwise, the edits make the thread more useful if someone searches it up and finds it. I'm looking for what makes the site work best, mmm'kay guys?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Editing posts in dead threads (over 45 days)

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisBean View Post
    I recently had occasion to pull up some of my old posts, looking for something I'd tossed out years ago. I saw some typographical errors and a few places where a link would have been useful, or a reference was stale. I was about to casually correct some of those, but it occurred to me that this might count as resurrecting a dead thread.

Does editing a post in a thread over 45 days idle count as thread necromancy, or is that restricted to replying to the post? Not knowing how the site software works, I don't know if that would suddenly make the thread show up on everybody's "recent updates" view and lead to a bunch of replies. Contrariwise, the edits make the thread more useful if someone searches it up and finds it. I'm looking for what makes the site work best, mmm'kay guys?
    Editing posts does not count as thread necromancy, to the best of my non-Mod knowledge. It is easy to test by editing a more recent post (say, from last week), and noting it does not cause the thread it is in to jump to the top of the thread list.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Editing posts does not count as thread necromancy, to the best of my non-Mod knowledge. It is easy to test by editing a more recent post (say, from last week), and noting it does not cause the thread it is in to jump to the top of the thread list.

Grey Wolf
    Meaning no offense, I'm going to wait on a mod to chime in. I'd like my Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card in my wallet. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I didn't even consider that this might count as thread necromancy... I edit posts in dead threads all the time! Guess I'd better subscribe to this one.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Sufficiently old threads, when edited, cannot be edited to include code.

Bold, Italics, and all that other jazz will just show up like [B]Bold[/B], [I]Italics[/I], instead of how it normally does.

I learned that when I tried to update the preset tables for 5th edition.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: By the letter of the rule, editing an existing post doesn't qualify as thread necromancy. It also doesn't seem to be against the spirit of the rule; it doesn't revive the thread, bring it back to the top, invite any new readership or replies extending the discussion impermissibly.

It seems like an odd thing to do, though. At best, interested parties notice your edit but no one comments on it. I suppose it's possible no one notices at all, in which case you're just using the Forum as somewhat precarious storage for your work. Or, your edit is noticed, commented on, and then the thread gets locked, limiting your ability to edit in the future.

I guess don't overdo it, and it should be fine? #getoutofjailfreemaybe
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2019-06-26 at 11:19 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex