New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: no internet at home: how realistic when having kids

A hoop and a stick was good enough for our ancestors, it is good enough for them!

Seriously now . . . no electronic devices in the kids bedroom after 8:00 PM should do the trick (else no sleep, or less sleep).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    A hoop and a stick was good enough for our ancestors, it is good enough for them!

Seriously now . . . no electronic devices in the kids bedroom after 8:00 PM should do the trick (else no sleep, or less sleep).
    Heck, no electronic devices anywhere after 8:00. The rule for my kids is, no internet after 6:00, although I'd be happy to extend that deadline a bit if I thought they'd do anything more constructive than watch YouTube.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Neither, they figure out ways to do an end run around the rule. People never work so hard than when they're avoiding work.
    This. Not to mention writing in machine code is way too advanced/abstract for most adults let alone kids. Plus you’d need something like punch cards until you could create something digital to actually write the subsequent code in.
    Last edited by Chen; 2019-07-17 at 06:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

My two cents: Anything your kids would gain by preventing their internet use is less than what they'd gain if you taught them responsible internet use.

Though I will note that it's been internationally agreed that children under 12 months old should have extremely little to zero screentime for brain-development's sake