The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Looking for players, 18th level, 3.5, Sandbox

So, after some thinking, I believe I'm gonna go for None, Herald of the Revolution. Here's his fluff!

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    Nickname: "None, the Herald of the Revolution"

Spoiler: Questionare
    Show
    What emotion best describes your character? Zeal: he should do anything for his purpose. And yet, maybe there are lines he's not able to cross (betraying, for instance, his family)

What emotion does your character evoke in others? To his family, Eos is a loving husband and father, a cheerful man who brings warm bread and tells jokes. To the aristocrats and the authorities of Garnata, he's a monster without a face or a name, a being with the blood of millions in his hands. The downtrodden of Garnata are a bit more divided: some think him a liberator and feel hopeful about him. Others fear him more than they fear their masters.

What does your character need most? Allies that will join him in throwing off the Emir's government. The means to kill Suzeramis. The means to protect his family. His drugs.

What is your character’s goal in life? The Revolution: liberating Garnata from the Emir. He probably would like to retreat then, but... what happens when the death of the powerful does not mean the end of exploitation?

How does your character believe this goal can be accomplished? Through subterfuge and betrayal, punctuated by bursts of absolute violence. It may not be pretty, but neither are their enemies.

Where did your character come from? He was born in a distant land to family he does not remember. His mother sold him into slavery as soon as his true race became apparent. He was used as an entertainment and, as he aged, a courtesan. He learnt to bite his tongue, to wait his time, to control the hatred, even if it seemed to burn from within.

When did you grow up? Falling in love with his partner, another slave to a small noble that came to "visit" the brothel where Eos was kept. Conversing with him allowed Eos to start thinking beyond the walls of his enslavement and imagine a different future. It would still take years for him to learn the basics of alchemy, to distill the poison, to escape. More years would pass still for him to liberate his partner, create a life for both, ensure their safety, articulate his feelings into the idea of the Revolution, give birth to his two daughters or perform his first "act of terrorism"... But it all started with those first few conversations.

What values does your character hold?
    Values: Patience, zeal, the poor of Garnata: he believes in waiting for your moment and in attacking without hesitation when it comes. He believes the poor deserved to be freed from the monsters that take them,
    Abhors: Wealth, vanity, the rich and authorities of Garnata: money means nothing, and one must never let oneself be flattered into obedience, for those are the seductions of unfair power structures.

How does your character dress? His dress varies almost as much as his face. With his family, common clothes of white and grey, with the soft veils that protect one from Garnata's sun. Outside, it depends. Does he need to be a beggar, covered in dirt and wearing rags? Does he instead appear as a noblewoman, her hair high and her fingers glimmering with gold? Between magic and his natural talent, he can be "None"... Or "Everyone".

What are your character’s means? He has access to a surprising amount of wealth, all of it "reapropriated for the Revolution" from the hands of "aristocratic parasites". That said, he lives without projecting or enjoying much of this wealth, preferring much rather to keep his family safe by ensuring they have enough to be comfortable but not so much that they may be a target.

What are your character’s personal tastes?
    Likes: Warm flatbread, cold beverages (often experimental), playing charades with his children, attending the funerals of nobles that fell to his "actions".
    Dislikes: the monuments and palaces of Garnata, the music of the qanun (it was common in the brothel, though his partner likes and plays the instrument, and Eos endures it), the color blue (associated in Garnata with royalty and the Azure Society)

What are your character’s opinions?
    "The rich latch onto the poor, the powerful suck the blood of the weak. Those who have want to retain and to bloat themselves, feasting while others die. No aristocrat is innocent, even if they haven't actively wounded anyone. "
    "The poor are fearful, but they must be liberated. Even if they are comfortable, even if they prefer a peaceful and difficult existence to the utopia that may be born through fire. Not all know what's good for them, but I do. "
    "The spellcasters of Garnata are tools of the powerful, one of the few ways people manage to raise in society. They disgust me: they sell their class, their families and their people, seduced by the comforts of being the Emir's lapdogs."

What is your character’s comfort zone?
    His home and family are his main source of comfort.
    Second comes using his drugs. While it is not ideal, they help him be more powerful... and very often, more relaxed.

Who has had the biggest impact on your character’s life?
    His partner, Tariq, whose appearance made him wish to be somewhere and someone else.
    His former owner, now long dead, who offered him as an object of pleasure or entertainment.
    His parents, unknown to him, who sold him away as soon as his true race became apparent.
    His changeling or doppelganger parent, who created him and never sought him out.

What are some of your character’s unexpected quirks?
    Cannot swim and is afraid of water.
    Has never seen the snow and, in fact, has barely travelled outside of Garnata.
    He's a surprisingly bad cook, though he still tries (unsuccesfully) to perform for his family.
    Despite all his zeal and dedication, he is also an addict.

What kind of story does your character belong in?
    It's a story of political intrigue and violence in a arabian-nights inspired city state. The themes of zeal, sacrifice and means vs. ends are essential. There will be nobles, arcane police, allies who are taken back by his choices, troubles and deaths.

What role does your character fill? Resourceful spellcaster, intriguer, utility toolbox.

What should the other players know about your character? That he can be violent and yet does not appreciate violence for itself. That he definitely does not work within the "social order". That he is a fanatic.

What is your play style? I like inmersion, description and interaction. I like using magic creatively, and do not care about strict rule interpretation.

How do you want your character to die? I see him failing, either because he cannot defeat the powerful aristocrats of Garnata or because his Revolution only leads to more destruction and oppresion. Maybe he'd have the consolation of having ensured his family's safety... Maybe not.

Sacred Vow: the Revolution
    Nemesis: The Azure Society of Weavers, led by Suzeramis the Magnificent
    (Mechanically, Suzeramis is a Sorcerer/Incantatrix/Halruaan Elder/Archmage, specialized in counterspelling, dispelling and crazy high CL shennanigans via Circle Magic)
    Liability 1: His family: partner (Tariq) and two daughters (Dunyazad and Sherezad).
    Liability 2: Drug use. I want to fluff much of his magic (and specially his chameleon feature granting +6 to a stat) as caused by his use of alchemical substances. He deals with its most debilitating aspects via magic (restoration and the like), but cannot keep it at bay forever. Too long without it may destroy him.
    Liability 3: His hatred of the Emir. While he tries to be patient and bide his time, he has put so much hatred in the leader of Garnata that were he to be in a weak spot, Eos might risk everything. Thankfully, the authorities don't want to risk the Emir either... But this could change.

And now to the questions. I ask them mostly because I don't know exactly what to aim for nor what to do with the 5 pre-chameleon levels... And am considering everything from 5 different classes to 5 levels in Binder...

1- Is Circle magic (the feat, Ghostwalk's more limited version) allowed?
    2- Southern Magician: how does it interact with Divine Metamagic? And with Master spellthief?
    3- Tenebrous: how does his ability interact with the feat Extra Turning and/or Divine Metamagic? (I may have to just give him a level of Cleric otherwise)
    4- Nightstick limit?
    5- Should I take Exalted feats granted by the Wonderworker and just refluff them as more neutral?
    Last edited by Don nadie; 2019-06-29 at 06:16 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    That was my initial thought too. I am not sure, though. And I may just keep it as a normal shovel and skip the weapon usage. My character is a wizard/cleric/mystic theurge, so he probably won't require a weapon in any case. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I may still use it as a backup, especially if I use Divine Power to make him a decent fighter stand-in when needed.
    shovel, tool - look at the improvised weapons rule, I think that is your answer

@anyone, that leadership (bonus feat given correct?) does it follow all of the normal rules for cohort and followers

3. - Top - End - #123

RedWizardGuy

That is a good idea. I just took a look, though, and those have a 50% chance of breaking whenever you do damage with them. I was thinking of enchanting my shovel with the Holy ability, to suit the character. So it will probably have to mimic a normal weapon. The ability's nature is more important than the damage, so I don't mind so much as to whether it has the 1d4 damage of an improvised weapon. I might leave that up to Bel, though. They can decide if it should be 1d4, or if it can duplicate an existing weapon and, if so, which one. Thanks for the idea, though. It did give me a base idea of what a normal shovel might do.

4. - Top - End - #124

HalflingRangerGuy

So I have more questions. First let me submit my flaws for approval and ask for a Dragon magazine feat:

Flaws:
    - Lightweight (Dragon Magazine #328): After have being born in a dirt poor village and having to steal to survive from a very young age, this samurai never really recovered from severe malnutrition.
    (He is easier to bull rush, grapple, overrun or trip and he doesn't get the +2 to charge everybody else gets. There is no weight or strength behind his charging blade, only technique)
    - Code Of Arms (Dragon Magazine #324): A battle is, or at least should be, a test of skill between two weapon masters. He also has a harder time against those who attack without the use of a sword or their body.

I was also wondering if I could get the Keen Intellect feat from Dragon Magazine #318? It's quite a strong feat so I totally get it if you say, it just fits so well I had to ask

Secondly I was wondering if I could make a slight rewrite to grey elves. I specifically want to change two things:
    - I want to speed up their child hood and have them reach adulthood at 20 like Half-elves rather than at 110. Middle Age would still be at 175 though, giving them a very long prime.
    - I want it to be possible for full grey-elves to be born to half-elf parents.

The reason for these changes are that I want the society around my character to be based heavily around the Jade Phoenix Mage Lore. I'm specifically thinking about the part how there were originally 13 of them and now there are never more or less than 13, if one dies he or she gets reborn immediately. The idea is that like a millenia or so ago this japan-esque society was under grave threat by a demon or something. 13 Elf Warrior's rose up and defeated him in a clash so epic that it seperated the society from the main land and all but one of them died in the process. Their deaths permanetly changed this society, which was already almost entirely half-elf or human and made them ever so slightly more elf like. The big differences between half-elves and elves is that elves live longer and need less rest. Basically: Elves have more life-energy (or phoenix energy or chi) than half elves. Occasionally a full elf will be born to two half-elves (as if both parents had passed on the recessive elf-gene) and whenever a new Jade Phoenix Mage is born it will be as one of the rare full elves of the society.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been looking at the Artisan Craftsman feat from Dragon Magazine #358. Will you allow it?

6. - Top - End - #126

RedWizardGuy

Question for Bel, though other opinions are also welcome. My character concept has developed quite nicely so far. My idea is that my character had a close friend who rose to power alongside him. They were inseparable. The two of them, my character a cleric/wizard, and him a warrior, decided they would seek godhood together. After much research and adventuring, they performed the final ceremony that would turn them both into demigods. At the key moment, his friend stabbed him, performing the blood sacrifice that was needed to turn him into a dark god.

My query regards my characters status after being raised from the dead. One option is that he rises to normal humanity again, but is now a saint to reflect the divinity that he partly gained from his part in the completed ritual, as well as his devotion to fighting his old friend, now a demigod of the undead.

The other option is that he was raised as a necropolitan, since the sacrifice meant that he wasn’t able to return to true life. If I take that, I will probably add the evolved undead template one time, to again reflect his increased power from the ritual

My character feels disgraced and betrayed by his old friend, and can no longer bear to be seen as a glorious champion, since he unwittingly causes the creation of a dark god. He now works as a simple gravedigger, burying the dead and ensuring his enemy cannot raise them again.

Bel, which of this two options do you think would suit your game better? I am torn between the two ideas, and both are unusual enough that I thought I would seek guidance. The saint is a more typical hero, but an exalted character is difficult to run in an actual game.

7. - Top - End - #127

Question for Bel, though other opinions are also welcome. My character concept has developed quite nicely so far. My idea is that my character had a close friend who rose to power alongside him. They were inseparable. The two of them, my character a cleric/wizard, and him a warrior, decided they would seek godhood together. After much research and adventuring, they performed the final ceremony that would turn them both into demigods. At the key moment, his friend stabbed him, performing the blood sacrifice that was needed to turn him into a dark god.

My query regards my characters status after being raised from the dead. One option is that he rises to normal humanity again, but is now a saint to reflect the divinity that he partly gained from his part in the completed ritual, as well as his devotion to fighting his old friend, now a demigod of the undead.

The other option is that he was raised as a necropolitan, since the sacrifice meant that he wasn’t able to return to true life. If I take that, I will probably add the evolved undead template one time, to again reflect his increased power from the ritual

My character feels disgraced and betrayed by his old friend, and can no longer bear to be seen as a glorious champion, since he unwittingly causes the creation of a dark god. He now works as a simple gravedigger, burying the dead and ensuring his enemy cannot raise them again.

Bel, which of this two options do you think would suit your game better? I am torn between the two ideas, and both are unusual enough that I thought I would seek guidance. The saint is a more typical hero, but an exalted character is difficult to run in an actual game.
    Although I can't comment on which you should play, I will mention that he has already approved the Saint template for me, with the following:

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Saint is fine, but you would be held to the standards of Exalted, which is basically, 'What would Jesus do' in every aspect of your life, and if you fail, then you lose your abiltiies, if you are cool with that, then sure.
    So presumably he is prepared to work with exalted characters

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Lack of support for my crossbreeder character probably means I'll need to come up with a new concept, sadly. Not sure at all what I want to build. Maybe a Sha'ir for an Arabian flavored caster. Idk.
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2019-06-29 at 12:10 PM.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

9. - Top - End - #129

RedWizardGuy

I did see the saint was approved. It suits one character concept I have perfectly. But it would is also fairly restrictive. I can do it, of course. I have even played an Apostle of Peace in a game. But I am not sure if the saint or the other character build would work better for the game. Plus, I don’t want to step on your toes.

10. - Top - End - #130

I did see the saint was approved. It suits one character concept I have perfectly. But it would is also fairly restrictive. I can do it, of course. I have even played an Apostle of Peace in a game. But I am not sure if the saint or the other character build would work better for the game. Plus, I don’t want to step on your toes.
    Don't worry about stepping on my toes. It looks like our concepts are pretty different, but even if they weren't, build-what-you-want still applies.

I'm playing an old druidic/psionic hermit, who watches over an ancient forest as well as the villages on the forest's edges. I don't think we'd overlap too much.

11. - Top - End - #131

RedWizardGuy

Doesn’t sound like much overlap. Sounds like you have a great concept. I have never seen a psion/druid before.

12. - Top - End - #132

Doesn’t sound like much overlap. Sounds like you have a great concept. I have never seen a psion/druid before.
    Yeah, Bel let me make a psionic variant of Arcane Hierophant, so I get to advance my wild shape and companion as well as my manifesting and casting. I feel like psionics represents that isolated contemplation thing really well, and druid kind of builds on top of it really nicely.

There is a Psionic/Divine class already in existence - Psychic Theurge - but it doesn't improve wild shape or animal companion, which would kinda suck.

You might be wondering if Psion+Druid would be super broken, and it might be, but for one thing: I've never played a druid or psion before. Which means that I've got no idea what I'm doing, and I'm reading like 13 handbooks to try and figure this out. But it's fun so far, so it's good.

13. - Top - End - #133

RedWizardGuy

I am running with a theurge as well. Mine is a standard Mystic Theurge though. And I am like you, working my way through a number of handbooks too. I am not good at optimisation, so they provide great advice on how to keep up.

14. - Top - End - #134

Pure divine caster, and I'm thinking of rolling pure support so I don't accidentally CoDzilla

Also for paradox26, since it looks like you were killed and raised, but have a massive goal that you need to achieve, I might take a look at Risen Martyr since you don't get the undead weaknesses as well as a built-in plot hook for why you are adventuring.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

15. - Top - End - #135

RedWizardGuy

I have always wanted to try the Risen Martyr. Problem with it is that I don’t know if we will level up. If we do, my character may end up just dying at a level up. I will take another look at it though. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-06-29 at 12:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Got some house chores to do, but I'll post some replies today. Some great questions, and I'm loving the concepts that being created here.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've been dancing around, but I'm having trouble finding a race&template combination with a good intelligence bonus that actually fits the concept I'm trying to work with for less than LA 3. Is there any chance that we could drop spellwarped back down to LA 2 if it just came with the ability modifiers and nat armor? Cut the spell resistance and the temporary bonuses associated with it. Can cut the natural armor too if that makes a difference. It still wouldn't be perfect, but it would be close enough for me to work with.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-06-29 at 01:59 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

18. - Top - End - #138

RedWizardGuy

Just had an idea. My concept can remain the same, but I am not wedded to the cleric class. So I was thinking that I could build a wizard/shadowcaster/noctumancer, with the shadow template to provide healing. The minor change to my background would be that my character’s friend was a cleric, and when he betrayed my character he became a god of the burning sun, like the one from Netheril in FR. my character was a wizard, but was raised as a shadow and shadowcaster to reflect having the light taken from his soul by his sacrifice.

This character would be more unique than the others I was suggesting, since no one seems to be using shadow material.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

So I'm gonna make a Sha'ir, which is fine, just not sure what to best use to develop it. Strait Sha'ir is flavorful, but a lot of the abilities have little to no mechanical use, outside of just spellcasting. Calling up genies and making an inferior version of an existing magic item...kind of a ho-hum progression. PrCing is the obvious direction, but I'm uncertain where to go. Sand Shaper might work, as it ties in to the theme and would make for a cool concept, though admittedly I know that sand shaper is somewhat....problematic. Eldritch knight or some other gish prc could go as well, playing up the Arabian Knight angle a touch.

Nothing else immediately comes to mind, so if someone has suggestions that'd be great.

EDIT: Any way I can get a little rebalancing on the Sha'ir, similar to the tweeks included in the opening post?
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2019-06-29 at 04:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Cool! No big deal, didn't take too terribly long.

Alright, work on the old hermit shall commence!

If I forfeit the age bonuses, can I also forfeit the penalties? I wanna make an old dude, but I don't want to deal with those stat penalties. I know they'll go away while I'm wild shaped, but I don't want my frail old man to be that frail.

Also, what levels is level adjustment from a template bought off? If it's LA +2, do I just buy it off at 6th and 9th like normal, losing 16000 XP?

Edit: how do the VoP ability score enhancements work with skills? Since it's kinda like a permanent bonus, but also is an enhancement bonus?
    You can refluff whatever you want. (so age is fine)
    Correct, you'd lose 16k, which drops you to 17th
    Skills receive bonuses from high stats, regardless of where the bonus comes from,

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Hmmm... I'm not sure whenever or not I want to go for an Obi-Wan/Anakin duo for my character and their Cohort, or if I want to just use the Jedi as a base and go from there? And even then, I'm not entirely sure how I would make Anakin in the first place?

Obi-Wan himself is pretty clear. Tashalatora Psychic Warrior/Slayer for a mix of high BAB and Psychic Powers, likely picking up Robliar's Gambit and Stormguard Warrior if I can (which probably means I need to make a 1 level dip in Warblade... probably going to pick up Iron Heart Surge tbh), to turn attacks against me into offensive attacks during my own turn... probably going down the Dancing with Shadows/Combat Expertise route in order to have a high AC? ... Bel, can we make Improved Combat Expertise just part of Combat Expertise? It makes zero sense that Combat Expertise is capped at 5, while Power Attack can scale indefinitely.

Anakin, on the other hand, I'm not sure how to do? He's about a lot of raw power and less finesse, so I was wondering if going Tashalatora Psion or Tashalatora Wilder might work instead? Probably a Wilder actually, Wild Surge is very much in his favour, and a Wilder gets 3/4's BAB, so he can probably go Slayer as well. Same BAB amount, weaker defences, but far superior offensive power due to a higher level of powers he has access to. So yeah. Tashalatora Wilder seems like a perfect fit for Anakin. Going into Slayer same as Obi.

Here's hoping I can use the Temple Sword and that Improved Combat Expertise is mixed into Combat Expertise, it really helps flesh out the characters... and is there any suggestions for abilities and feats that might help make Obi-Wan and Anakin even more distinct in this game?

Edit: Just remembered the Mediant Prestige Class existed... that's perfect for a Jedi Consular, and gives better Gish power than a straight Psion as well, bah.
    Yes, Improved combat expertise can become Combat expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    So this looks interesting and going with the apparent theme of everyone making mentor types; I have an idea

An old cleric, wise and mighty; however he is not the hero of this story, he is simply the one who has to wander the world and *find* the Hero, and the prophecies surrounding who the Chosen One would be are conflicting: One says that he shall be the lowest of the low, yet exalted in spirit; potentially a beggar, criminal, or outcast. Another says that the Gods will grant him upon the world with grand favor and wealth, perhaps he will be a king or a warlord. Perhaps it isn't a he, or a human, perhaps it is an animal! (Although the prophecy that the Chosen One is a wombat has been brought forth to be deemed non-canonical in the scriptures and the Prophet Vammano has been declared a heretic).

His power and fame come from the fact that he is always in the middle of wild adventures trying to find some ancient weapon or suit of armor that the Chosen One *might* have to use, or fighting alongside celestials rescuing a powerful soul from Hell that might be the warrior of light that they need. His cohort would be his current best bet for a potential hero.

So we have this old Cleric, wandering the world, trying his best to find the hero that will banish some nightmarish evil that will conquer everything, while having hardly a clue what he's looking for, while keeping an eye out for those who would want to serve the darkness and kill the Chosen One before they fulfill their duty.

A cross between Master Roshi and Phil from Hercules, he focuses mostly on Divination and buff spells, but is more than capable to fight off monsters and demons if they get in the way of finding a true champion; after all, you need to test out that blade to see if it is actually the Blade of the Exalted Champion, or just a +2 holy longsword!
    This is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Oops, sorry

Oh, if that's the case, I'm not sure how great of an idea merging my cohort with my animal companion would be. Having it run off to do its own stuff would be less than ideal. Need it to protect the frail old man.

Do things like animal companions get feats every other level like PCs do, or do they still use regular feat progression?

Also, due to a combination of Psionic Hierophant's psicrystal/companion mashup feature and exalted companion, my companion will have an Intelligence of 9, but will still be a valid companion. Does any weirdness arise from that?

Are web enhancements like Mind's Eye allowed?

Requesting flaws:

Love for Nature, Dragon 324: DC 12 will save to attack any animal, plant, or vermin. Action is lost on failure. We might want to increase that DC so I don't auto-pass it.

Curious, Dragon 328: -2 Spot and Listen, -2 Initiative
    Animal companions receive feats like everyone else when they progress
    Love of Nature will be changed to have a scaling DC, so 14+1/2 level
    Curious is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    Ariel Payne Diaz

Ariel Soul was the name given to a certain Warforged following the end of the great war. This name was given by a small band of adventurers who befriended the construct while hunting a lich king of some renown. Ariel was quick to join them and they found much success in the years it took to destroy it's unholy followers and eventually crush the phylactery of the undead liege lord.
    Sadly, the victory was a hollow one. The now perished had locked it's entire keep within a powerful sphere of force. Thomas Payne was the first to die of starvation. Matilda Diaz was forced to eat the only thing available, their friend Payne. She eventually died of asphyxiation.
    Ariel chose to remember their lives and sacrifices by taking their names. It had learned to identify as feminine in it's time with them and find it's new name very pleasant. Ariel Payne Diaz.

Ariel spent the next decade studying the texts and tomes collected by the lich. In that time, she also altered the generic design of her body to better reflect her feminine persona.
    When the sphere of force finally wore off, Ariel was grateful to depart. And she was ready for a new beginning. One of the books she'd read told of a ritual, the Rite of Rebirth. The idea of sacrificing her nearly eternal life was a scary thing. But the sacrifices her companions had made to defeat a monster influenced her decision. She was reborn.

Even now, of you look closely, you might make out some of the many names etched onto her mithral flesh. The names of heroes.
    Thomas Payne, Master of Magicks
    Matilda Diaz, the Beautiful Brawler
    Etragor, the Farmer who faced a Horde
    And so on.

@BelGareth
    Extra Spell. How are we using that? Can I use it to snag spells that aren't on my spell list?
    We can do that, but +1 spell level of normal slot.

I have a very unusual question for people who may have some ideas. My character is likely going to carry a shovel with him, and I want that to be his primary weapon. Can anyone think of an equivalent weapon that it could be considered to be for stats purposes? I am not even sure if it would be considered bludgeoning, for the flat side, or slashing for the edge.
    I'm fine with a glamored (D219) to just make it look like a shovel.
    Or an enhanced shovel with weapon properties, probably be a maul or a club.

Quote Originally Posted by Don nadie View Post
    So, after some thinking, I believe I'm gonna go for None, Herald of the Revolution. Here's his fluff!

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    Nickname: "None, the Herald of the Revolution"

Spoiler: Questionare
    Show
    What emotion best describes your character? Zeal: he should do anything for his purpose. And yet, maybe there are lines he's not able to cross (betraying, for instance, his family)

What emotion does your character evoke in others? To his family, Eos is a loving husband and father, a cheerful man who brings warm bread and tells jokes. To the aristocrats and the authorities of Garnata, he's a monster without a face or a name, a being with the blood of millions in his hands. The downtrodden of Garnata are a bit more divided: some think him a liberator and feel hopeful about him. Others fear him more than they fear their masters.

What does your character need most? Allies that will join him in throwing off the Emir's government. The means to kill Suzeramis. The means to protect his family. His drugs.

What is your character’s goal in life? The Revolution: liberating Garnata from the Emir. He probably would like to retreat then, but... what happens when the death of the powerful does not mean the end of exploitation?

How does your character believe this goal can be accomplished? Through subterfuge and betrayal, punctuated by bursts of absolute violence. It may not be pretty, but neither are their enemies.

Where did your character come from? He was born in a distant land to family he does not remember. His mother sold him into slavery as soon as his true race became apparent. He was used as an entertainment and, as he aged, a courtesan. He learnt to bite his tongue, to wait his time, to control the hatred, even if it seemed to burn from within.

When did you grow up? Falling in love with his partner, another slave to a small noble that came to "visit" the brothel where Eos was kept. Conversing with him allowed Eos to start thinking beyond the walls of his enslavement and imagine a different future. It would still take years for him to learn the basics of alchemy, to distill the poison, to escape. More years would pass still for him to liberate his partner, create a life for both, ensure their safety, articulate his feelings into the idea of the Revolution, give birth to his two daughters or perform his first "act of terrorism"... But it all started with those first few conversations.

What values does your character hold?
    Values: Patience, zeal, the poor of Garnata: he believes in waiting for your moment and in attacking without hesitation when it comes. He believes the poor deserved to be freed from the monsters that take them,
    Abhors: Wealth, vanity, the rich and authorities of Garnata: money means nothing, and one must never let oneself be flattered into obedience, for those are the seductions of unfair power structures.

How does your character dress? His dress varies almost as much as his face. With his family, common clothes of white and grey, with the soft veils that protect one from Garnata's sun. Outside, it depends. Does he need to be a beggar, covered in dirt and wearing rags? Does he instead appear as a noblewoman, her hair high and her fingers glimmering with gold? Between magic and his natural talent, he can be "None"... Or "Everyone".

What are your character’s means? He has access to a surprising amount of wealth, all of it "reapropriated for the Revolution" from the hands of "aristocratic parasites". That said, he lives without projecting or enjoying much of this wealth, preferring much rather to keep his family safe by ensuring they have enough to be comfortable but not so much that they may be a target.

What are your character’s personal tastes?
    Likes: Warm flatbread, cold beverages (often experimental), playing charades with his children, attending the funerals of nobles that fell to his "actions".
    Dislikes: the monuments and palaces of Garnata, the music of the qanun (it was common in the brothel, though his partner likes and plays the instrument, and Eos endures it), the color blue (associated in Garnata with royalty and the Azure Society)

What are your character’s opinions?
    "The rich latch onto the poor, the powerful suck the blood of the weak. Those who have want to retain and to bloat themselves, feasting while others die. No aristocrat is innocent, even if they haven't actively wounded anyone. "
    "The poor are fearful, but they must be liberated. Even if they are comfortable, even if they prefer a peaceful and difficult existence to the utopia that may be born through fire. Not all know what's good for them, but I do. "
    "The spellcasters of Garnata are tools of the powerful, one of the few ways people manage to raise in society. They disgust me: they sell their class, their families and their people, seduced by the comforts of being the Emir's lapdogs."

What is your character’s comfort zone?
    His home and family are his main source of comfort.
    Second comes using his drugs. While it is not ideal, they help him be more powerful... and very often, more relaxed.

Who has had the biggest impact on your character’s life?
    His partner, Tariq, whose appearance made him wish to be somewhere and someone else.
    His former owner, now long dead, who offered him as an object of pleasure or entertainment.
    His parents, unknown to him, who sold him away as soon as his true race became apparent.
    His changeling or doppelganger parent, who created him and never sought him out.

What are some of your character’s unexpected quirks?
    Cannot swim and is afraid of water.
    Has never seen the snow and, in fact, has barely travelled outside of Garnata.
    He's a surprisingly bad cook, though he still tries (unsuccesfully) to perform for his family.
    Despite all his zeal and dedication, he is also an addict.

What kind of story does your character belong in?
    It's a story of political intrigue and violence in a arabian-nights inspired city state. The themes of zeal, sacrifice and means vs. ends are essential. There will be nobles, arcane police, allies who are taken back by his choices, troubles and deaths.

What role does your character fill? Resourceful spellcaster, intriguer, utility toolbox.

What should the other players know about your character? That he can be violent and yet does not appreciate violence for itself. That he definitely does not work within the "social order". That he is a fanatic.

What is your play style? I like inmersion, description and interaction. I like using magic creatively, and do not care about strict rule interpretation.

How do you want your character to die? I see him failing, either because he cannot defeat the powerful aristocrats of Garnata or because his Revolution only leads to more destruction and oppresion. Maybe he'd have the consolation of having ensured his family's safety... Maybe not.

Sacred Vow: the Revolution
    Nemesis: The Azure Society of Weavers, led by Suzeramis the Magnificent
    (Mechanically, Suzeramis is a Sorcerer/Incantatrix/Halruaan Elder/Archmage, specialized in counterspelling, dispelling and crazy high CL shennanigans via Circle Magic)
    Liability 1: His family: partner (Tariq) and two daughters (Dunyazad and Sherezad).
    Liability 2: Drug use. I want to fluff much of his magic (and specially his chameleon feature granting +6 to a stat) as caused by his use of alchemical substances. He deals with its most debilitating aspects via magic (restoration and the like), but cannot keep it at bay forever. Too long without it may destroy him.
    Liability 3: His hatred of the Emir. While he tries to be patient and bide his time, he has put so much hatred in the leader of Garnata that were he to be in a weak spot, Eos might risk everything. Thankfully, the authorities don't want to risk the Emir either... But this could change.

And now to the questions. I ask them mostly because I don't know exactly what to aim for nor what to do with the 5 pre-chameleon levels... And am considering everything from 5 different classes to 5 levels in Binder...

1- Is Circle magic (the feat, Ghostwalk's more limited version) allowed?
    2- Southern Magician: how does it interact with Divine Metamagic? And with Master spellthief?
    3- Tenebrous: how does his ability interact with the feat Extra Turning and/or Divine Metamagic? (I may have to just give him a level of Cleric otherwise)
    4- Nightstick limit?
    5- Should I take Exalted feats granted by the Wonderworker and just refluff them as more neutral?
    Not familiar with the ghostwalk version, but the other one is. But comes with the difficulty of getting people to participate.
    If you have divine metamagic, it would work with it. Not sure what you mean about Master spellthief?
    It would allow both to work, as long as he was bound
    sure

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    shovel, tool - look at the improvised weapons rule, I think that is your answer

@anyone, that leadership (bonus feat given correct?) does it follow all of the normal rules for cohort and followers
    normal as in what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    So I have more questions. First let me submit my flaws for approval and ask for a Dragon magazine feat:

Flaws:
    - Lightweight (Dragon Magazine #328): After have being born in a dirt poor village and having to steal to survive from a very young age, this samurai never really recovered from severe malnutrition.
    (He is easier to bull rush, grapple, overrun or trip and he doesn't get the +2 to charge everybody else gets. There is no weight or strength behind his charging blade, only technique)
    - Code Of Arms (Dragon Magazine #324): A battle is, or at least should be, a test of skill between two weapon masters. He also has a harder time against those who attack without the use of a sword or their body.

I was also wondering if I could get the Keen Intellect feat from Dragon Magazine #318? It's quite a strong feat so I totally get it if you say, it just fits so well I had to ask

Secondly I was wondering if I could make a slight rewrite to grey elves. I specifically want to change two things:
    - I want to speed up their child hood and have them reach adulthood at 20 like Half-elves rather than at 110. Middle Age would still be at 175 though, giving them a very long prime.
    - I want it to be possible for full grey-elves to be born to half-elf parents.

The reason for these changes are that I want the society around my character to be based heavily around the Jade Phoenix Mage Lore. I'm specifically thinking about the part how there were originally 13 of them and now there are never more or less than 13, if one dies he or she gets reborn immediately. The idea is that like a millenia or so ago this japan-esque society was under grave threat by a demon or something. 13 Elf Warrior's rose up and defeated him in a clash so epic that it seperated the society from the main land and all but one of them died in the process. Their deaths permanetly changed this society, which was already almost entirely half-elf or human and made them ever so slightly more elf like. The big differences between half-elves and elves is that elves live longer and need less rest. Basically: Elves have more life-energy (or phoenix energy or chi) than half elves. Occasionally a full elf will be born to two half-elves (as if both parents had passed on the recessive elf-gene) and whenever a new Jade Phoenix Mage is born it will be as one of the rare full elves of the society.
    keen intellect is fine.
    both flaws are fine.
    Gray elves refluff is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Taelas View Post
    I've been looking at the Artisan Craftsman feat from Dragon Magazine #358. Will you allow it?
    Sure
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

1st, it reads weird that your characters just suddenly decided to become gods. Also, why would he become a saint if he was sacrificed unwillingly? He was murdered, not offered willingly....
    I would go the necropolitan, as the other doesn't make sense, and also sets you up for a redemption arc.

I have always wanted to try the Risen Martyr. Problem with it is that I don’t know if we will level up. If we do, my character may end up just dying at a level up. I will take another look at it though. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'd be game to modify that limitation, or work around it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Lack of support for my crossbreeder character probably means I'll need to come up with a new concept, sadly. Not sure at all what I want to build. Maybe a Sha'ir for an Arabian flavored caster. Idk.
    I'd be fine with say template stacking on current creatures, spellwarped comes to mind. Also, refluffing things, and as was bought up psuedo template.
    Or we could come up with our own mechanics, depending on what you wanted to do with them of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    I've been dancing around, but I'm having trouble finding a race&template combination with a good intelligence bonus that actually fits the concept I'm trying to work with for less than LA 3. Is there any chance that we could drop spellwarped back down to LA 2 if it just came with the ability modifiers and nat armor? Cut the spell resistance and the temporary bonuses associated with it. Can cut the natural armor too if that makes a difference. It still wouldn't be perfect, but it would be close enough for me to work with.
    Why do any at all, you're not required to take a template/race.
    no to modifying spellwarped.

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    So I'm gonna make a Sha'ir, which is fine, just not sure what to best use to develop it. Strait Sha'ir is flavorful, but a lot of the abilities have little to no mechanical use, outside of just spellcasting. Calling up genies and making an inferior version of an existing magic item...kind of a ho-hum progression. PrCing is the obvious direction, but I'm uncertain where to go. Sand Shaper might work, as it ties in to the theme and would make for a cool concept, though admittedly I know that sand shaper is somewhat....problematic. Eldritch knight or some other gish prc could go as well, playing up the Arabian Knight angle a touch.

Nothing else immediately comes to mind, so if someone has suggestions that'd be great.

EDIT: Any way I can get a little rebalancing on the Sha'ir, similar to the tweeks included in the opening post?
    Not familiar with it enough to suggest changes like that. I'm open to suggestions.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

22. - Top - End - #142

You can refluff whatever you want. (so age is fine)
    Correct, you'd lose 16k, which drops you to 17th
    Skills receive bonuses from high stats, regardless of where the bonus comes from,
    oops, I should've been more specific. I intended to mean the number of skill points we get, whether the enhancement bonus applied, since it can't be taken away like an enhancement bonus from an item could be.

Animal companions receive feats like everyone else when they progress
    Love of Nature will be changed to have a scaling DC, so 14+1/2 level
    Curious is fine.
    We might want to make the DC even higher than that. That'd be a DC 22 save right now, and my will save bonus is +22

I should link my sheets:

The Hermit

And his friend

23. - Top - End - #143

... Actually, come to think of it, I have a third question: Can the Monk's Decisive Strike count as a full-attack action, please? Then there is the Dragon Magazine Flaws. Can I have Individualist from #329 and Honorable Challenge from #324?
    I am highly amused that my second question got answered, but my third question somehow got missed as well.

Maybe I should have used Bold or Italics to catch Bel's attention?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Not familiar with it enough to suggest changes like that. I'm open to suggestions.
    Alright, then I shall suggest! Here are the class features of the Sha'ir, and my suggested changes.
    Spoiler: Class Features
    Show

• *Recognize Genie Works: The Sha'ir can spot a magic item or magical effect that was made by a genie, provided they make a DC 20 Knowledge (The Planes) check. They get a bonus on this check equal to their class level. Suggested change: This is so situational I cannot immagine it ever coming up. I'd leave the base effect just for flavor, and expand the bonus to knowledge the planes checks to just apply to any use of the skill.

*Elemental Protection: Resistance to Acid, Electricity, Fire & Cold 2, DR 2/- vs creatures with an elemental subtype, and +2 to saves against spells with an elemental subtype. These bonuses increase by +2 when applied to creatures with the elemental type matching the Sha'ir gen familiar. Suggested Change: Maybe make the effects scale with level? The are pretty minor, so its not a huge matter.

*Call Jani: Once per day, call a Janni once per day as per Lesser planar ally. You still need to pay the XP cost and bargin with the Janni as normal. Suggested Change: Drop or reduce the cost to use. I shouldn't have to pay money and XP to use a class feature.

*Elemental Travel: Plane shift to and from the elemental planes or the material plane. Scales with level but by 18th level its use is at will. No changes needed.

*Call Genie: As Call Jani, but summoning a Djinn, Efreet, Dao, Or Myriad. Suggested Changes: Probably the same. Obviously calling creatures that can grant Wishes shouldn't actually let me use them to grant wishes.

*Craft Genie Prison: Gain Craft Wonderous Item, but only for crafting Iron Flask, and those flasks can only be used for capturing Genie's. Suggested Changes: Lord have mercy this ability is dumb. Flavorful, but dumb. IDK how to best fix it, given that its the closest thing the class has to a capston (its gained at level 13, but after that the only feature is increased uses per day of the elemental travel). No idea where to set the balance point, other than it should still be used to let me put genies in lamps.

Anyone else who wants to weigh in is welcome to. As a last comment, I'm planning to just go streight Sha'ir 18 so there's no PrC stuff or anything to worry about. The class is a decent spellcaster, but given its lack of support due to being pretty obscure, it doesn't really keep pace with other primary casters, at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2019-06-29 at 06:32 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

We can do that, but +1 spell level of normal slot.
    Normally, it's an extra Spell of a level one less than the highest level available to the caster. Does your ruling negate that restriction?
    My Homebrew
    Gravesoul
    Tower Guard

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I am highly amused that my second question got answered, but my third question somehow got missed as well.

Maybe I should have used Bold or Italics to catch Bel's attention?
    Flaws are fine

Edit: dang. No to decisive strike full round
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-06-29 at 07:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

27. - Top - End - #147

Is planar touchstone allowed? How would it work with VoP, since you would've needed an item worth more than 100gp to get the feat?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Hey Bel,

I think my question about Vow of Poverty was missed. I wanted to know if there was any support for sword and shield combat that I'm missing and if not, whether or not we could add some. The first thing to come to mind is a value split between the force armor and the shield? End result would be a higher AC total, representative of the more defensive combat style, while not being a straight buff. That's a pretty rough suggestion and I'm all ears for other ideas.

29. - Top - End - #149

Flaws are fine

Edit: dang. No to decisive strike full round
    Damn, guess I'll have to rely on Hustle then for movement.

Either way, this is going to be a close run thing... 9 feats from leveling up, 4-1 from VoP, then 2 from Flaws for 14 feats. Apprentice (Entertainer) for Diplomacy and Perform as class skills, Track for Slayer, Monastic Training and Tashalatora. Combat Expertise. Path of Shadows and Dance if the Shadows. Combat Reflexes, Robliars Gambit, Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior...

Man, I am so glad for the Pathfinder feats, this would be hell otherwise! Even then, this is a tight-run build that is heavily MAD...

30. - Top - End - #150

Ok, got a proper write up for my character concept now. Still gotta do backstory and the questionnaire, but this should give you an idea of what he's all about.

Spoiler: Concept Write Up
    Show
    There is a forest, nearly as old as time itself. At the heart of the forest lie trees with trunks as wide as houses, and between them stride animals the size of wagons. The undergrowth is an astonishing array of colorful flowers, highlighted by the rays of sun that filter through the canopy.

And at the very center of this forest, in one of the few clearings, sits a small hut.

Created from fallen branches, leaves, and collected stones, it sits beside a small brook. Aside from the babbling of the brook, the clearing is quiet, and unnaturally calm. The chirping of birds fades away within a few steps of the treeline, and even rain seems to land softly on the ground.

Within the hut resides a man seemingly as ancient as the forest itself, evidenced by deep wrinkles and fragile-looking limbs. Despite this, there is the hint of a playful smile perpetually across his face, and warm, youthful eyes are juxtaposed against his elderly exterior.

He has occupied the hut for longer than any can remember, quietly watching over the forest, and the numerous villages that skirt the edges of the immense forest. When the ill come to his doorstep, his magic wards off disease and poison, healing body and mind. When danger threatens the village folk, or trophy hunters find their way to the forest, he appears with a kind smile and soft voice, discussing with them the error of their ways, offering them a chance for redemption.

But there come times where they scoff at the old man. That they do not need redemption, or that they have done no wrong. They brush aside his efforts to help them, despite his pleadings and warnings. And at these times, with a heavy heart, the old man brings the powers of the forest to bear. As his companion - a dire tiger whose fur twinkles with a strange light - comes to his side, and as the plants all around them begin to writhe, they realize their mistake.

This character is very much a 'violence is a last resort' type character. He believes that most everything is capable of redemption, and will act accordingly. I won't take anything like Vow of Nonviolence or Vow of Peace, but even so, he's not going to be doing much damage or killing unless absolutely necessary. Spell wise, expect more support stuff than anything else.

His Sacred Vow will be to nature as a whole. His hooks will be his home forest, the villages that exist at its edges, and the last one will be his cohort.

At the moment, I'm not sure whether his cohort will somehow be mashed together with his animal companion(if that's even possible) or if it'll be a student/successor. The plan was originally the former, but with what Bel said about cohorts having their own lives and such, I don't really want my companion running off on me, as it is one of my primary defenses.

For nemesis, I'm torn between two ideas: 1. A regular BBEG, who could be a defiler or maybe some kind of super-poacher - victory in this case would be getting him to change his ways. Or 2. Something that is totally unredeemable. A mindless(perhaps literally mechanically mindless) thing of destruction which just rampages endlessly. Would probably be some kind of aberration from the Far Realms with a never ending hunger type deal.

Currently leaning towards 2, but input/ideas are welcome.

Speaking of our nemesis, are we allowed to come up with fully new creatures with unique abilities, or would you rather we use existing creatures/abilities?
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-06-29 at 08:57 PM.