The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for players, 18th level, 3.5, Sandbox

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    I'm aiming for small answers. I literally can't do long ones. It's a weird block I suffer from. Hell, part of why I like pbp is that it pushes me to challenge that block.

Case in point: I'm trying to figure out how to explain it through written word. Can't do it. But if I made a voice recording I'd be just fine.
    Same, dude. I can improvise a presentation on the spot better than I can write one with a week's preparation.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

As I continue to relentlessly theorycraft, I have some questions for our DM. Full disclosure, not all of these questions are for the same concept.

1) Is the Magic-Blooded template okay? I know that I have played it for you in the past, so I hope that turnaround is fair play here.

2) Would it be possible to make the Arcane Focus of the Chameleon class Cha based instead of Int based? It would actually be a step down, mechanics wise, but it fits my concept so much better.

3) Can I ignore the [Exalted] tag on the Words of Creation feat? It should be easy to fluff tapping into the power of creation without being beholden to playing a Good character.

4) Could I make a version of the Slippers of Battledancing (DMG II, Cha to attack / damage) that applies to 2H melee and/or ranged weapons?
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Ironfang Invasion (DM)
    - Darkest Dusk (Whisper)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Huh. I'm stuck on the fluff-stuff.
    The Couriers Guild outta cover hooks well enough, I suppose.
    Things like personality I prefer to learn as I play a character. I let them tell me about who they are through gameplay. I don't know that this questionairre is going to work for me very well at all.
    And designing a CR23 threat? ...I don't think I'm going to be able to move forward with this game. My apologies.
    My Homebrew
    Gravesoul
    Tower Guard

4. - Top - End - #244

Huh. I'm stuck on the fluff-stuff.
    The Couriers Guild outta cover hooks well enough, I suppose.
    Things like personality I prefer to learn as I play a character. I let them tell me about who they are through gameplay. I don't know that this questionairre is going to work for me very well at all.
    And designing a CR23 threat? ...I don't think I'm going to be able to move forward with this game. My apologies.
    You don't have to design your nemesis. You give Bel a concept and he stats it, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm aiming for small answers. I literally can't do long ones. It's a weird block I suffer from. Hell, part of why I like pbp is that it pushes me to challenge that block.

Case in point: I'm trying to figure out how to explain it through written word. Can't do it. But if I made a voice recording I'd be just fine.
    I totally sympathize with this point, I feel the same way often when building pbp characters, and trying to express my ideas in writing.

I've had a build in mind for this game for a week, and I like the mechanics, and some of the story I'm writing in my head. I will see if I have some time over the holiday weekend to put it down on paper, though there are so many applicants already.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

GM I went back and checked multi-pages and I am not finding this answered

Do you wan the 20 question answers on the sheet?

Spoiler: Answers to 20 questions
    Show

1:resentment
    2:impress friends, scare enemies
    3:freindship, security
    4:to govern over large amount of land
    5:money & power
    6:from near Diamond Lake, parents died while still young,educated by the conclave, do not trust men,do not love men,honor a pact
    7:was responsable for self at 16
    8:honor,trust,love - opposed to religion in her face, being wronged/tricked, being called tiny
    9:normal daily attire dress or blouse and skirt & well groomed, on adventure explorers outfit and armor grooming as able
    10: money, employment, skill, courage, adventures
    11: an cool autmn day, a light rain, cloudless night
    12:rich folk are rude, poor folk are rude, religous zelots are rude
    13:a nice quite walk
    14:a big man, dressed like priest, captured left the area and presumed to have killed parents
    15:unexpected she is a bit chaotic, talent in singing, trival fey knowledge
    16:any story, interacts with a goal driven group, inhabits just about anywhere, not knowing what happened to parents
    17:artillary caster, item crafter, utility caster
    18:not a group leader, but has opinions that might be useful
    19:descriptive details are usefull to understnad the suraoundings but not always needed
    20:a glorious battle saving another - old age would be nice
    21:she is chaotic and likely to threaten back or possibly run and hide

Nemesis
    Titan MM1 p242 CR 21
    male, dressed like a priest if possible

Dawn should be complete
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-07-04 at 01:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247

HalflingRangerGuy

Not sure if this is a general question or one specific to this campaign. That is to say, I couldn't find a clear rule on it so I'm not sure if there is one and I just couldn't find one or if there isn't one and so it needs a rulling:

How many items can you actually combine into one slot, and how much does that cost? Assume you have items A, B & C (A being the most expensive, C being the least expansive) who all want to take up the same slot. I know I can two of them and it would cost A + B*1.5 but could I have all three of them? And would it cost A + B*1.5 + C*1.5 or would adding the third effect be more expensive than the second one?
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    Not sure if this is a general question or one specific to this campaign. That is to say, I couldn't find a clear rule on it so I'm not sure if there is one and I just couldn't find one or if there isn't one and so it needs a rulling:

How many items can you actually combine into one slot, and how much does that cost? Assume you have items A, B & C (A being the most expensive, C being the least expansive) who all want to take up the same slot. I know I can two of them and it would cost A + B*1.5 but could I have all three of them? And would it cost A + B*1.5 + C*1.5 or would adding the third effect be more expensive than the second one?
    Unless Bel rules otherwise, you can stack as many items as you want into one slot, with the price being A+B*1.5+C*1.5. However, I also very vaguely recall that there is a price point at which an item becomes an Epic item. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what that price point is, if it indeed exists.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Unless Bel rules otherwise, you can stack as many items as you want into one slot, with the price being A+B*1.5+C*1.5. However, I also very vaguely recall that there is a price point at which an item becomes an Epic item. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what that price point is, if it indeed exists.
    There is, objects exceeding 200,000 go in price go epic, at which point their price jumps by a factor of 10 for being epic.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hey, Bel. Can we remove the Lawful requirement for the Meditant? I really like the class, fluff-wise, but the concept I'm making leans pretty Chaotic. If you'd rather the alignment restriction stay, I can tweak a few things to make it work, so it's not a huge deal. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JBarca; 2019-07-04 at 08:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    That is the question-
    Whether 'tis more noble in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of Tucker's Kobolds
    Or to take arms against a Sea of Mooks
    And by casting Protection from Arrows, end them?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

The cost is 1.5 times the cost of the added power, unless the existing item is less expensive than the added power, in which case you add half the cost of the existing item. This is true no matter how many items you combine. (Though common effects can be added at no additional cost.)

12. - Top - End - #252

WhiteWizardGirl

Here is a completed application. I might do a bit of equipment tweaking, but everything else is finished up.

Cassiah Meadows
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”
    - Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Spoiler: Snippet
    Show
    A brief scene to get the 'vibe' of the character, mechanically and thematically.

A single woman crouched in the shadows of a boulder, but under a full moon. She sat there for a while, listening to the chatter of nearby slavers and quietly slid crossbow bolts into the extradimenional space that existed around each one. Something about one of them cheating at a game of cards. Another commenting lustfully on one of the people they had chained up. It didn't matter. The ones speaking were all already dead. In a few seconds they would realize it.
    Cassiah pulled a blindfold of truedarkness over her eyes. She felt her sense of touch start to reach to everyone around her as her touchsight extended. Eyes lie. I need to feel, not see. Case and point...
    She reached her mind out across the void of space until she felt the presence of the others. She considered her own presence, how it would appear in their minds, and snuffed it out like a candle. Then she stood. With a crossbow in each hand, she walked casually over to the cage of prisoners. "Don't say anything. Help is here. Cover the little one's eyes."
    She continued on to the campfire, standing in front of the flame and leveled a crossbow at one of the slaver's heads. It's as if she was a ghost, or invisible. But of course she wasn't: The prisoners watched her take the scene as clear as day. Cassiah took a breath to steady herself, then spoke out loud, mostly to herself.
    "Three by the fire. Second one is going to run. Two by the horses. Forty foot shot: difficult, but not too bad. Woman by the tent is looking at a spellbook, so she has to go quickly. The seller and the contractor are cowards, so they can be last. A priest by her, he won't matter. Okay Cassiah, let's go." She leveled the other crossbow at the head of a second man by the fire and rested her fingers on the triggers.
    The thrum of two shots fired broke the near silence, along with the sound of two skulls breaking. The third man stumbled back in shock, but Cassiah was already on the move. She slid a few inches above the ground to tent as the two people there started to jump to. Before they could stand, they're punched through with bolts of their own, and crumpled to the ground motionless. The two slavers by the horses picked up weapons. Cassiah dove out of the way of the third man by fire as he looses an arrow, landed on her feet from a somersault and sent two more bolts flying towards the men by the horses. Before they've even met their mark she whipped around, shoved her crossbow into the mans chest and pulled the trigger. She can feel the two people behind her drop to the ground at the same time as the one in front, and knew with some satisfaction they're dead. In the distance she felt the contractor sprinting away from the camp: too far away for a clean shot, but he's not that fast. She skated across the ground, and sent a bolt from her right hand flying towards him. That just left --
    "Don't shoot!" The seller. Somehow he had grabbed the child from the cage and was holding him over the fire. "I swear to the gods I'll drop him, even if you kill me."
    Cassiah's mind started racing, counting paces out along the ground. The water buckets were close, and looked full. "I don't care if you drop him," she retorted "The fire is the problem." The seller glares, a bit confused, as if saying yes, that's the point, idiot woman. But she didn't give him the chance to say anything, let alone insult her. Another twitch from her finger sent a quarrel into his heart. But he was, at least, honest in death: his fingers let go and the kid started to fall.
    Cassiah's heart beat faster and as if in response time seemed to slow to a crawling pace (as per Temporal Acceleration). The child fell through the air like molasses, but he wouldn't have to fall far before he got burned. Cassiah dropped her guns and sprinted towards the fire, sliding to halt and scattering embers that sprayed - or rather, slowly floated - into the air. She grabbed the water bucket closest to her and threw its contents onto the fire. But of course, the water behaved the same and slowly drifted towards the flames. She thought for a second as the child, seller, and water all mad their slow way towards the ground. Wait, the seller, perfect! She grabbed the dead man by the shoulders and yanked him down, wincing as the flames burned her arms. With her pulling him down he fell faster: fast enough. She shoved his body down under the child and atop the flames of the campfire, and took a deep breath.
    The pace of the world resumed with a sizzle, a splash, and a thud as the child hit the sellers body and rolled off to safety. Cassiah's hands shook as she rolled the slaver's body off the fire: no one needed to smell burning bodies tonight. Then she lifted the blindfold and sat down, catching her breath. She felt that familiar tingle in her mind: a Sending from her friend. Of course he had been watching.
    "That was well done. Two down, four to go. Next group is three miles south."

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Cassiah wears her auburn hair long, a bit below shoulder length, though it curls gently just below the bottom of her head. When in some kind of dangerous situation, she usually pulls it back in a single braid has a tendency to fiddle with the end. You can tell a lot about her from her solid, dark brown eyes: they're precisely controlled, as if everywhere Cassiah looks is with some purpose and attentiveness. It's quite comforting when they're focused on you, as if there's nothing more important to her than whatever they're looking at. Still, if you pay attention long enough, you will see there's a bit of weariness to her gaze, as if her eyes hold more experience than someone her age should. She has a pretty, round, expressive face. She doesn't much see point in controlling and masking emotions, so whatever she is feeling is usually plainly visible.
    She has a rather small frame for a human, but distinctly feminine. She moves with the clear coordination of someone who is acutely aware of her body language at all times, and exudes a sense of self control. Her arms and legs aren't as muscled as many - such as herself - who fight for a living. Instead, they are long and dexterous. Her hands are often anxiously occupied tapping out a tune, playing with a coin, or any other subconscious behavior to keep them busy.
    When out adventuring, Cassiah wears a black and purple cloth on her forehead over her hair, preferring only to pull it down over her eyes when needed. On the inside stitching is the small symbol of Seleed, which would be a red flag for anyone who identified it. Her armor is really little more than a close fitting purple shirt and black pants. It's not hard to see they are quite nice and well maintained, if not exactly ornate. A subtle but elaborate lace pattern travels down the sides and arms of the outfit, indicating that though they aren't as gaudy as something a noble might wear, they're about as expensive. At her hips rest two light crossbows, which are works of art in and of themselves. Each have a burnished silver hilt, while the crystalline structure of one is a deep red and the other a brown so dark it's almost black. Graceful runework shows they are clearly magical, and it's apparent they are meant to be worn as a pair.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Cassiah is, first and foremost, a passionate creature. To her, any and all emotions are meant to be expressed: it is the most honest and direct way of knowing someone else's heart and soul. She sees little reason to lie unless, and values the same in others. Because of this she can forgive and forget heated arguments quickly, and conversely finds those who hide and close off their emotions endlessly irritating. This is just a bit hypocritical: she is loath to talk about details of her own life, though she would argue that there is a difference. She could be described as hotheaded, with her gut reactions often leading her into trouble.
    Cassie is proud of who she is, even though she'd rather pretend her flaws don't exist, and considers herself among the genuinely good people in the world. She sees a potential in most everyone, and has perhaps an altogether too positive opinion. Her fondness for humanity in general (and other races) guides her to good morals: she opposes those who spread misery or who take advantage of others for their own gain. To a lesser degree, she sees laws as a crutch for doing what is right. She doesn't mind following the rules laid out when it makes sense to do so and won't rail against them needlessly, but doesn't see them as good or even necessarily useful constructs.
    Above all, the thing that drives Cassiah is a need for companionship. Her hesitancy to share much of herself combined with frequently moving from place to place means that although she can draw people in easily, she has a hard time making them stay. The transience of most people in her life mean she values lasting relationships greatly, and will go out of her way to protect and care for friends. Though she only counts people among her friends sparingly, she is a phenomenally loyal ally to have.

Spoiler: Questionnaire
    Show
    What emotion best describes your character?
    Confusion. Or in a less literal sense, Wandering. Cassiah is adrift from taking on one villain to the next, and sometimes the direct nature of a problem is the only thing that keeps her going. The Librarian realizes this, and doesn't exactly have a solution. He's a bit afraid of what happens when she runs out of problems to solve.
    Similarly, Cassiah's mind is as wandering as her feet. Conflict helps her focus, but that focus is easily lost, and in quiet nights and early mornings her mind can drift back to other years, older memories.

What emotion does your character evoke in others?
    Trust. If nothing else, Cassiah seems honest and direct with her thoughts, at least when they're lucid. She may disagree or have strange opinions of the world, but her word is her bond.

What does your character need the most?
    What Cassiah most needs is certainty in the events of her life. Most of her perceived life was constructed for her, and she still half-expects that she will wake up some day and the past few years will have all been another dream. It's difficult but not impossible, as there are parts of life that Seleed never bothered to emulate.

What is your character's goal in life?
    Cassiah's current goal is to wipe out Seleed, and rescue her friend Nikko, if there is anything left of him to rescue any more. While it will put her at ease for a time, she needs more than that to truly be happy. She cannot stomach crime and lies and injustice, and may well spend the rest of her life fighting those that make it a way of life.

How does your character believe this goal can be accomplished?
    By blood and bolts. Her view of the world is somewhat ignorant, in that she rarely sees the consequences of her actions: a threat removed is a problem resolved.

---

Where did your character come from?
    Cassiah was born in a city named Gedery, but that had little bearing on her life. More than the place, the one person she remembers from that time of her life is Nikko. She still feels guilt for not stopping to rescue him as she escaped. But her escape was narrow enough as it was.

When did your character grow up?
    Cassiah grew up physically and skillfully in Seleed, but they taught her no more emotional maturity than she needed to do her job. Much of her 'growing up' was done on the road, hunting down those she disapproves of. She's seen all sorts of people - good, bad, and inbetween - so she is uniquely lacking reflex to judge folks based on anything other than what they do. That's good and bad: she's ready to give anyone a chance, but it's astonishingly easy to lie to her.

What values does your character hold?
    Cassiah holds personal freedom over other ideals. She spend a huge portion of her life in situations where subservience to a pecking order or a specific person was normal and expected, and she sees much of the world around her as no different than the one that was constructed for her. The yolk of slavery must be removed, whatever the cost.
    Beyond such a lofty goal, Cassiah holds to the bonds she makes with people the way a sailor would cling to the mast in a storm. The value of others can't be overstated, and sometimes is the only thing tethering her to the world and preventing her from just... walking off in the middle of the night with no plan and no destination.

How does your character dress?
    Practically, and for the road. Her armor is really little more than a close fitting purple shirt and black pants with a bit of padding for protection. However it's not hard to see they are quite nice and well maintained, if not exactly ornate. A subtle but elaborate lace pattern travels down the sides and arms of the outfit, indicating that though they aren't as gaudy as something a noble might wear, they're about as expensive. She wears a long, unadorned leather coat over it that looks faded with much wear. She wears her auburn hair long, a bit below shoulder length. It curls gently just below the bottom of her head. When in some kind of dangerous situation, she usually pulls it back in a single braid and tends to fiddle with the end.

What are your character's means?
    Cassiah enjoys the nice things in life, and the spoils of her work ensure she can always afford that. But she can't stomach actual opulence for too long, and being in one place for too long makes her anxious. A lot of times she lives day to day: she has few folks she is in regular contact with, but she tends not to form lasting connections with the average person.

---

What are your character's personal tastes?
    Cassiah likes the sounds of the sea: both the waves crashing around a boat, and the birds chattering away. She enjoys thunderstorms: the flash of lightening and the roll of thunder, the way it feels in your chest as if the thunder is shaking you to the ground. She even likes the rain that comes with it.
    She likes summertime fruit and the smell of lilacs, the crunch of boots on dry autumn leaves, and a tall mixed drink.
    Cassiah gets cold easily, and doesn't deal well with snow or biting wind. Loud and cacophonous noises stress her out, as does tight spaces and pressing crowds.

What are your character's opinions?
    Cassiah believes that people should be allowed the freedom to choose what to do with their lives. Those that stifle that - through violence, oppression, or control - need to be stopped. She believes it's the obligation of a community to help their less fortunate members. She doesn't see wealth or power as an evil, as long as it's being used to further this goal.
    She was raised to be a killer, and can do so without a second thought. She is a bit shortsighted in believing that she is usually right, so she sees no reason not to act as judge, jury, and executioner if need be. She values life though, and won't kill simply because it's more convenient.
    She has little views on religion: she isn't ignorant to them, but it was never made important in her time at Seleed. Part of her envies religious folks though, for the inner peace they can obtain through their faith.

What is your character's comfort zone?
    Cassiah is an active person, and to be relaxed, she needs to be physically doing something. It can be something as involved as dancing, or as simple as playing catch, knitting, or palming a coin. her slew of nervous ticks are small, subconscious motions to help soothe her. Even something as chaotic as a fight can be comforting in the right situations. Inaction or restraint can quickly make her anxious. She prefers a quiet country road or campfire to a crowded tavern, but you can't get the same company out of a city.

Who has had the biggest impact on you character's life?
    Hannah. She constructed the vast majority of Cassiah's memories, and Cassiah was privy to many of the psion's thoughts and emotions. Cassiah would be quick to label her as an enemy, but... the truth is much more complicated. Over the years Hannah has come to love Cassiah as a younger sister, and Cassiah feels similarly. There is significant animosity between them (mostly coming from Cassiah), yet because of their long psychic connection they may understand each other better than anyone else in the world. Hannah is supposed to be finding and bringing Cassiah back to Seleed, but she's not sure if she has the heart. Cassiah has sworn to hunt her down, but when the time comes she's not convinced she'll pull the trigger.

What are some of your character's unexpected quirks?
    Cassiah's a deft hand at knitting. She picked it up on someone's recommendation when they realized she had trouble sitting still. It has its uses, not the least of which is calming her restlessness. If somehow her life quieted down and her skills weren't needed any more, she could maybe see making a living off of it.
    She is great at talking to kids, and can remember stories almost word for word.
    On the flip side, Cassiah is a horrendous cook, and nearly burned someone's house down when she tried. She's mildly allergic to cats, but loves dogs. She's not afraid of much, but on that list is tight spaces (especially underground), snakes, and needles.

---

What kind of story does your character belong in?
    Cassiah's story is fraught with uncertainty and second guessing. Even the villain she knows best isn't one she could easily bring herself to fight. Her story works to show how erratic and complicated our emotions can be. A simple thing is made complicated, a logical conclusion is clouded behind poor judgement. The Librarian purports to have all the answers, but is mostly just taking life the next most sensible step at the time. And all the while Sel'Aied plots his moves and plays each of them - Cassiah, Hannah, and the Librarian - like a game of chess.

What role does your character fill?
    Cassiah is an active member in combat, unafraid to jump into the fray. She is deadly when the situation is in her favor, but can struggle to manipulate it to her advantage. Likewise, she can't take too many hits, and can't easily recuperate after doing so. She's a good ambushes, and with a bit of luck is unparalleled at remaining undetected. She lacks the earth shattering power of other casters at our level, however. All of her powers augment herself in some way, or occasionally stop opponents from doing certain things.

What should the other players know about your character?
    At the start, other people are a bit unlikely to know much about Cassiah, though if they follow up on rumors, they might notice that she matches descriptions for something of a roaming folk hero. She doesn't hide who she is and her weapons are fairly unique so news of her deeds tends to spread, especially by thankful common folk.
    It's not hard to tell that there's something 'off' about Cassiah, and observant folks might pick up on this after a few conversations. But it's not obvious, and she's unlikely to start sharing without a solid foundation of trust, and a very good reason.
    It's unlikely, but possible, that other players might know about Seleed. They would probably know that one of their contracts escaped a few months ago, because Farrik is unlikely to shut up about it. Cassiah matches a lot of descriptions for that person, and there's a sizable reward for tips on her whereabouts.

What is your play style?
    There's lots of things in D&D that I enjoy, but I tend to be a fan of larger interpersonal scenes, especially where the DM has introduced some element that makes characters react differently than they normally would (a conflict of interest, a lie exposed, etc). If the action-hero nature of Cassiah wasn't enough of a giveaway, I'm also a fan of big colorful action scenes.
    I'm not too concerned about the DM abiding by the letter of the rules, as long as it creates a good story. (IE, things with no save are fine by me if it creates something interesting in the story.)

How do you want your character to die?
    I'm tempted to say that Cassiah dies in some big action scene drowning in a sea of mooks. And that's certainly how she thinks she'll die. But I think it would be interesting if she somehow survives it, and finally does the thing she's bad at: she becomes certain and secure in her reality, and eventually content. It would be nice if she overcomes everything, and eventually dies surrounded by children and grandchildren.
    But also this is 3.5 at level 18. There's a good chance we'll die a lot.

Spoiler: Vow, Hooks, Nemesis
    Show
    Vow: Freedom. Cassiah has spent far too long under the control and imprisonment of others, and vows never to let that happen to someone else as long as she lives. It need not be physical control, though that is the most obvious and heinous. She similarly can't abide by social manipulation that binds people against their will. She makes a small exception for criminals that trespass on the freedom of others.

Liabilities: The Librarian - Cassiah's closest friend nowadays, even though they've never met. Their secret alliance has become a friendship, and they depend on each other a sense. Certainly if Cassiah got news that something dangerous was happening to the secretive man, she would drop everything and help him.
    Hannah Winters - The psion that directly worked on changing Cassiah for years. Cassiah's feelings are conflicted about her. On one hand, she is the face Cassiah knows for an organization that invaded and manipulated her mind for over a decade. On the other hand... it's impossible for that much psychic contact to not go both ways: Cassiah knows more about the psion than either of them realize, and Hannah knows her like a book. It's impossibly to truly hate someone you know that well, when you know their motivations and their mind.
    Nikko - Cassiah's friend from childhood. He was captured at the same time she was, and presumably was subject to his own brand of tailoring. Cassiah feels endlessly guilty that she couldn't break him out as well. It's been decades since they've seen each other, but seeing him again, in any respect, would be huge.

Nemesis: Seleed, a massively wealthy and powerful organization that prefers to cling to the shadows. It's notable members include:
    Hannah Winters - She's not any sort of official, but since she is an engineer to the subjects they produce she is decently trusted, and quite powerful. Since she knows Cassiah the best, she was tasked to find her and bring her back in if possible.
    Marin Albrekt - One of the heads of Seleed. He is more actively involved in the direct well-being of the organization. So while he is not as directly involved in bringing Cassiah in, he is supremely motivated, and controls a large swath of people to assist him.
    Sel-Aied - An ancient unbodied, and the namesake for Seleed. For decades he has been feeding on the psychic energies of people that Seleed manipulates, and been growing stronger for it. He bides his time in the shadows, watching the worlds events play out and planning how he can bring the known world to kneel before him.
    *Oliver Farrik - A fat, short tempered nobleman for whom Cassiah was commissioned. She left before they could finish changing her mind to feeling beholden to the man, but she didn't escape it completely. She still has strange conflicts when it comes to him that she can't explain.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Havent' heard from Bel in a while, hope we didn't lose him.
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Havent' heard from Bel in a while, hope we didn't lose him.
    He's been off for the last couple days. Today is his last day off, so we'll likely see an increase in activity soon

Also reminds me that I super need to finish this character. Really want to play him
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-07 at 03:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

RedWizardGuy

Yes, he put a note at the bottom of his sig that he would be away from 3rd to the 7th.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Aeric
    Show
    Aeric
    Male Lawful Neutral Human Fighter, Level 18, Init +15, HP 291/291, Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)
    AC 42, Touch 26, Flat-footed 36, Fort +21, Ref +16, Will +18, Base Attack Bonus +18/+13/+8/+3
    +2 eager bastard sword/+2 warning parrying bastard sword +27/+27/+27/+22/+22/+17/+17/+12 (1d10+21/1d10+16, 17-20/x2)
    +3 glamered segmented reinforced full mithral plate of nimbleness, +3 animated heavy mithral shield (+14 Armor, +6 Shield, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect, +2 Natural, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 30, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Condition None

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Aeric is the only son of the only daughter of a duke. His mother was very young when he was born - only fifteen - and did not marry Aeric's father, a noble only a year or so older than her, who fled the country once he learned she had become pregnant. Aeric was raised as the heir presumptive, getting a comprehensive education, which his mother also sat in on. She married when Aeric was 9, and gave birth to his twin half-sisters a year later.
    Civil war broke out in the kingdom, and Aeric fought in those wars as a common soldier, declining to lead men into battle. His father returned at the head of an army that invaded the kingdom while the civil war raged, though Aeric did not know of his identity at the time. The invasion was instigated by devillish influences, though the ultimate goal of the devils involved are as yet unknown. Aeric, who had left his home and sought to identify the invasion force, learned of the devils' involvement. He succeeded in seeking out one of the devils involved while delving into the upper layes of the Abyss: the erinyes Isaeah. One of Aeric's companions on the venture, a mage well-versed in fiends, had advised that while devils always spoke the truth, they could twist the meaning of any sentence to mean almost the opposite. Aeric believes strongly in honesty, and he could not help but begrudgingly admire this approach to evil. When they confronted one another, all of Aeric's companions had perished to the fiends, including the mage, and Aeric faced her on his own. To his surprise, she did not offer combat, but instead talked openly of the conspiracy to invade his homeland, including the details of Aeric's father. She offered him a deal: if he were to take her back to the prime material with her, she would serve as him in whatever manner he deemed appropriate. The erinyes was inhumanly beautiful, and Aeric could not help but be tempted to accept the clear offer of seduction. He resisted in the end, however. Instead, he somewhat flippantly offered a different deal: Help him defeat his father and rescue his homeland, and he would help her to the prime material -- as long as she promised to not act against his best interest, and to not defile or kill the innocent. He expected her to disagree -- after all, what would she do on the prime material but tempt innocents into damnation? -- but to his surprise, she instantly agreed, with a very fiendish grin. As her first act of assistance, she arranged for several grafts for him, explaining how they would help make him a better warrior. She also warned him of the dangers of them, but turned it into stroking his ego when she expressed her certainty that he would resist its influence. Aeric, who had seen how his companions died in the Abyss, was eventually persuaded. He accepted two grafts: one that gave him wings, and one that bolstered his overall health. Then he kept up his side of the deal, and brought Isaeah out of the Abyss. Now he is looking for a way to defeat his father, unite his kingdom under one ruler, and protect the people as best he is able.

20 Questions

I have a considerably more in-depth version of his background... but it was getting a bit long, so I condensed it. (It's also not quite finished.)

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Is there still room for another application? I just read the first post, I will go on reading the rest but wanted to express my interest first.
    Act well before thinking!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

I'm here, I'll comb through posts for questions today and catch up.

Yes, it is still open
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    Bel,
    My character has changed a little. I am still going with the necropolitan, but I am now not a theurge, instead I am a cleric/runecaster/divine disciple. My question is, how does the runecasting work in regards to pregame crafting? I had planned for spending about half of pregame wealth on my runes, though I wasn't building any magical items other than that. Will I still be restricted to the 25% of wealth on crafting them? Because I can always just craft them once the game starts, by holding onto some of my starting wealth, if necessary. I don't think they take long to craft.
    Thats fine with me. Runes are important to runecasters.

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    I too have started in on my sheet. There hasn't been a ton of time on my end to do much in the way of writing out fluff, but I'm starting to collect notes here and there to flesh out the bare bones of the concept I posted earlier. In the meantime, here is the beginnings of my sheet for Francesca di Corvina, the Hellbroker of Vama and the head of Baatorian Steel Solutions (here to meet all of your weapons needs today! ).

Just a disclaimer: I am making this character assuming the 25% WBL rule is in place. In lieu of fully calculating the crafting costs, I just paid 75% of the price for my character's magic items (which is entirely plausible when considering the Mercantile Background feat). I will also be picking up Landlord and statting out a base of operations using the guidelines in the Stronghold Builder's Guide. I plan to do this because A) strongholds are super fun, and I like to draw and B) at high levels, a floating plane shifting fortress base is pretty awesome and totally within budget for Francesca. At the moment, the plan is to build this stronghold as part corporate headquarters, part magical laboratory, and part home base.

I really like this character idea, and I hope to be able to play it according to these rules. That said, if Bel or other players really don't feel comfortable with it, that's okay too. I have a backup idea or two that I could pull out of my back pocket if need be.
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Working on my alchemist, got some mechanics questions for Bel.

Spoiler: Alchemistry 101
    Show

1. Master Alchemist Gains the ability Brew, which will let me create up to 4 potions per day. Alchemist Savant has Efficient Creation, which lets me make 2 potions per day. Do these stack so I can craft up to 6 potions per day?They stack

2. Related to the above, both of the abilities from the two alchemy PrC's still have the limitation "totaling no more than 1,000 gp market value in one day (an 8-hour period)". I don't think that was properly thought out given the pricing methods given. A potion costs 50 x Spell level x Caster level to make. We are 18th level, so going by the formula, I can make a maximum of one 1st level potion per day before capping out that 1000 gp limit (50 x 18 th caster level x 1st level spell = 900 gp). Can I please, please, please drop or modify the crafting per day limit, as it literally kills the entire concept if I can't actually mass produce my potions, given that is the one thing I'm trying to be good at. Heck, I will spend feat slots if needed. For reference, Master Alchemist lets me make 9th level spells into potions, which would have a market price of 8,100 GP, so the upper limit on crafting per day I would need to fully pup out my top-shelf elixers would need to be 50,000 gp per day at start of game (assuming that the answer to question 1 above was yes and I can make 6 potions per day: 6 potions x 9th level x 18 caster level x 50 gp = 48,600 gp per day).
    we can use the PF rules for item creation, which would allow you to craft potions below 1k in 8 hours, so 3 a day. To wit, a dwrven forge can allow your bypass this limitation, i believe they are in Races of stone? You could also not put all your cl into the potions?

3. Alchemist Savant gain the ability to create spellvials, which are essentially potions as throwable weapons (10ft range) that trigger their spell effect wherever they hit. Spellvials are limited to 3rd level spells, which is the maximum level a potion for an alchemist savant can normally be. Master alchemist raises my potions up to 9th level spells, so does that also raise the level of spell for a spellvial to 9th level, or do spellvials remain capped at 3rd level spells? Note: Spellvials count as potions for the purposes of crafting, and cost 50% more than the equivalent potion does.
    Sure

4. What are your thoughts on creating custom spells? I imagine the answer is no, but I only wished to ask for the sake of completeness. The spells I have in mind are entirely for flavor, as I want to be able to make and sell potions that do things like 'make you more attractive' or 'remove gray hair and wrinkles', 'permanently change your hair color'. Things with no real impact, mechanically, but which would be big sellers on the open market to any vain noble. I think it would be hilarious to be known as the merchent who can sell elixers of enhanced endowment. Some of these are probably minor enough to just be made as alchemical items rather than magical potions, so that could also swing. I could be the first alchemist to develop a contraceptive pill, and instantly corner the market!
    that could be fun, but most of those could probably be accomplished with a little bit of creativity on the current spells. Like an extended/permanencied/persisted Prestidigitation for example

See bold replies

As a side note, while this character is very un-optimized, I think they'll still be fine in the group. Despite being a specialist in a fairly poor discipline, they remain an 18th level arcane spell-caster, so that should be sufficient to keep pace with the party.

WIP Sheet for Jazzabink Threewicket, Master Alchemist
    Hell.
    I spent most of yesterday handling the questionnaire. Even got some flak from the wifey about it. Nearly had it complete. Kept saving throughout my work.
    I come back to it to finish up.

Nothing has saved there.
    I'm not pleased.
    I'm sorry!
    Maybe try roleplaying the character as an interviewee answering the questions?

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    As I continue to relentlessly theorycraft, I have some questions for our DM. Full disclosure, not all of these questions are for the same concept.

1) Is the Magic-Blooded template okay? I know that I have played it for you in the past, so I hope that turnaround is fair play here.
    sure

2) Would it be possible to make the Arcane Focus of the Chameleon class Cha based instead of Int based? It would actually be a step down, mechanics wise, but it fits my concept so much better.
    yup

3) Can I ignore the [Exalted] tag on the Words of Creation feat? It should be easy to fluff tapping into the power of creation without being beholden to playing a Good character.
    Nope

4) Could I make a version of the Slippers of Battledancing (DMG II, Cha to attack / damage) that applies to 2H melee and/or ranged weapons?
    Sure
    Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    GM I went back and checked multi-pages and I am not finding this answered

Do you wan the 20 question answers on the sheet?

Nemesis
    Titan MM1 p242 CR 21
    male, dressed like a priest if possible

Dawn should be complete
    On your sheet, or the post from El'the Ellie is a great example. Also, you will need to fill out those answers a little more thoroughly.

As people have answered, as much as you want, the most expensive component stays the same, and each additionally component is +50% cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    Hey, Bel. Can we remove the Lawful requirement for the Meditant? I really like the class, fluff-wise, but the concept I'm making leans pretty Chaotic. If you'd rather the alignment restriction stay, I can tweak a few things to make it work, so it's not a huge deal. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
    Absolutely
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've updated the sheet for Darius. The previously raised mechanical issues have been corrected.

Wanted to double check on the Share Soulmeld feat, would that also share the benefits of Chakra Binds and Essentia investment with the familiar? I don't think that got answered previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quick question. Since force effects now block teleportation, does the Feat Burrowing Power no longer work to bypass force effects?
    That is the question-

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Looking at all the characters already in line for this game I have given up trying to find a singular concept.

I started working on G'Rash a VOP Draconic Dragonborn Goliath Bronze Dragon Shaman, focusing on his breath weapon and melee combat.
    Back story will come when I know if I can include all of my ideas.
    Last edited by Simba; 2019-07-10 at 03:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263

@belgrath

would you allow me have corrupted template for la +2

24. - Top - End - #264

Alright, I think all I have left is description, personality, maybe a couple items, and a question or two for the background.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have a few questions to BelGareth:

- Can I take Goliath Great Hammer proficiency for free as a Goliath or do I need a feat for that?
    - With VoP, we get 3 SLAs at will that have to be spells level 1-3. There are some extremely strong choices for this, like Wraithstrike for example. Can we chose from any one list or do we have to stick to one for all SLAs? Does this practically translate into permanent effects?

Thank God I need no equipment so I am working on background stuff now. :)
    Last edited by Simba; 2019-07-11 at 06:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post
    - Can I take Goliath Great Hammer proficiency for free as a Goliath or do I need a feat for that?
    This question is not for me of course but doesn't becoming a Dragonborn mean losing most racial traits including bonus feats and free weapon proficiency? Meaning that, even if a Goliath gets the proficiency for free, a Dragonborn Goliath still wouldn't have it (the same way a Dragonborn Elf loses its weapon proficiencies)?
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This question is not for me of course but doesn't becoming a Dragonborn mean losing most racial traits including bonus feats and free weapon proficiency? Meaning that, even if a Goliath gets the proficiency for free, a Dragonborn Goliath still wouldn't have it (the same way a Dragonborn Elf loses its weapon proficiencies)?
    Yes, that sounds reasonable. I removed all the other racial traits except for powerful build, but forgot about that. So I will have to burn a feat to use a nice weapon. EWP here I come!
    Thank you for answering my question.

28. - Top - End - #268

WhiteWizardGirl

Adding a table of applicants, mostly because I'm curious whose who.

Player Character Concept Classes
    Simba G'Rash Dragon Warrior Bronze Dragon Shaman Goliath
    Taelas Aeric Noble knight connected to Hell Human Fighter
    El'the Ellie Cassiah Meadows Psionically trained gunslinger with a bone to pick Human Wilder/Shadowmind/Elocator
    samduke Dawn Quixote Wandering fey warlock Petal Warlock/Hellfire Warlock
    NineOfSpades Jazzabink Threewicket Gnome Alchemist Gnome Wizard/Achemist Savant/Master Alchemist
    3SecondCultist Francesca di Corvina Demon Summoner Human Archivist/Paragon/Malconvoker
    Xanyo Eteri Vogel Air Mage Raptoran Sha'ir/Skypledged
    LairdMaon Ariel Beast Guild Leader of Warforged Warforged Dragonborn Totemist
    Aegis013 Darius Vex Tribal Witch Doctor Azurin Incarnate/Druid/Totemist/Necrocarnate
    Daishain Gauldir Psionic Dragonborn Hero Elven Dragonborn Erudite/Constructor/PK Champion
    A.A.King Anjin Yayősu Elven Shinobi-style warrior Elven Rogue/Monk/Swordsage/Assassin/Jade Phoenix Mage
    Quantumphear Zykon Elven Necromancer Elven Wizard/Binder/Anima
    Biffoniacus_Furiou Gaston Lemont Psionic Cleric-Knight Human Cleric/Ardent/Divine Oracle/Psychic Theurge/Sacred Exorcist/Contemplative
    Stevesciguy The Hermit Saintly Psychic Druid Saint Druid/Psion/Psionic Hierphant
    Cygnia Macallan Archivist turned wandering bard Human Archivist/Bard/Arcane Dilettante
    Janwin Ebenekker Misunderstood Necromancer Human Dread Necromancer/Pale Master
    Ragnarok'n'Roll Brother Bart Priestly Barabarian Dragonborn Barbarian

If you're missing, or want me to link/summarize your character in a different way, please feel free to fix it yourself and repost the table.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Adding myself, since I have a mostly complete sheet. Working on background stuff now.

Player Character Concept Classes
    Simba G'Rash Dragon Warrior Bronze Dragon Shaman Goliath
    Taelas Aeric Noble knight connected to Hell Human Fighter
    El'the Ellie Cassiah Meadows Psionically trained gunslinger with a bone to pick Human Wilder/Shadowmind/Elocator
    samduke Dawn Quixote Wandering fey warlock Petal Warlock/Hellfire Warlock
    NineOfSpades Jazzabink Threewicket Gnome Alchemist Gnome Wizard/Achemist Savant/Master Alchemist
    3SecondCultist Francesca di Corvina Demon Summoner Human Archivist/Paragon/Malconvoker
    Xanyo Eteri Vogel Air Mage Raptoran Sha'ir/Skypledged
    LairdMaon Ariel Beast Guild Leader of Warforged Warforged Dragonborn Totemist
    Aegis013 Darius Vex Tribal Witch Doctor Azurin Incarnate/Druid/Totemist/Necrocarnate
    Daishain Gauldir Psionic Dragonborn Hero Elven Dragonborn Erudite/Constructor/PK Champion
    A.A.King Anjin Yayősu Elven Shinobi-style warrior Elven Rogue/Monk/Swordsage/Assassin/Jade Phoenix Mage
    Quantumphear Zykon Elven Necromancer Elven Wizard/Binder/Anima
    Biffoniacus_Furiou Gaston Lemont Psionic Cleric-Knight Human Cleric/Ardent/Divine Oracle/Psychic Theurge/Sacred Exorcist/Contemplative
    Stevesciguy The Hermit Saintly Psychic Druid Saint Druid/Psion/Psionic Hierphant
    Cygnia Macallan Archivist turned wandering bard Human Archivist/Bard/Arcane Dilettante
    Janwin Ebenekker Misunderstood Necromancer Human Dread Necromancer/Pale Master
    Ragnarok'n'Roll Brother Bart Priestly Barabarian Dragonborn Barbarian
    JBarca Firuz Inburq, The Al'awsu Wandering Mentor Human Psion/Meditant
    Last edited by JBarca; 2019-07-11 at 03:49 PM.
    That is the question-

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, that looks like a great amount. Recruitment is closed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord