The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unraveling Tapestries OOC: Initial Conditions

Stveje, could you say some words about how you're imagining handling Spirits, Twilight, and the Shadow in this game? Since I'm making a Spirit-focused Thyrsus, I'm planning to do a lot in this area and want to have some understanding of how it works, especially as I start to build a sheet and select spells. I'm thinking about this mechanically in terms of building a character, but also what those mechanics say about the setting and how I should approach problem-solving.

Here are a bunch of questions related to the various spells that a Thyrsus gets, not all of which you need to actually answer: Should I expect to have to actively fight spirits and take the rote for being able to punch them really well? Should I expect to be able to summon spirits and have them aid me or be willing to talk and bargain or will they be hostile unless I specifically compel them with magic? If I focus on being able to gather and transfer essence, will that be effective to befriend or bribe spirits and resolve their problems? Should I expect to deal often with spirits possessing people or things, either beneficially or harmfully? Do I need powers that allow accessing and crossing into the Shadow or will most spirits be in the normal world (either possessing stuff or floating around mostly invisibly in Twilight)? Should I expect to need to repair weak areas of the Gauntlet or to weaken overly strong areas to be able to work? Will we need to physically enter the Shadow (I have the option of being able to open portals to/from there as a starting character, but I'm undecided if I want to really push dimension hopping from my end right out of the gate)?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Shadow Name: Jayden Mavel
    Past: The Tower
    Present: The Wheel of Fortune

Identity is an expression of will. Being a person takes effort. Forcing the world to acknowledge your presence is a hostile, aggressive action. A choice. Not essential.

Sometimes she exerts that identity, and it's like being hit with a truck. She comes back in all her glory, fire and force and sound! But just as soon afterwards she discards it and sinks into a calm nothingness. She's burned away everything she ever was, all sense of I, her desire to be strong, be loved, to be right. Now her values are changed. She isn't sure if she's broken of if she's finally seeing that the world extends out beyond her eyes. So she wants nothing but that which she decides she should want - and those decisions are themselves suspicious.

She's easy to influence. She adaptively takes on the characteristics and values of the people around her, experimenting with identity and immersing herself in other peoples worldview without seeking to overpower them. She gambles a lot too, even though she's terrible at it. It's the opposite of strength; fighting in an arena where clarity is weakness and honesty is defeat and loss carves away things you didn't need.

She is with the Mysterium because of a deeply inflicted humility. Who was she to claim she knows anything, let alone about magic?

Spoiler
    Show

Strength 2
    Dexterity 2
    Stamina 2

Intelligence 3
    Wits 2
    Resolve 2

Presence 5
    Manipulation 1
    Composure 3

Skills
    Academics
    Computer 1
    Craft 1
    Investigation 1
    Medicine
    Occult 4
    Politics
    Science 1

Athletics 1
    Brawl 1 (+1 Foreplay)
    Drive 1 (+1 Drunk)
    Firearms
    Larceny
    Stealth 1
    Survival
    Weaponry

Animal Ken
    Empathy 1
    Expression 5
    Intimidation 2 (+1 She'll Do It, She's Crazy)
    Persuasion 1
    Socialize 1
    Streetwise
    Subterfuge 1

Derived
    Size: 5
    Health: 7/7
    Speed: 9
    Willpower: 5/5
    Initiative: 4
    Defense: 4

Virtue: Visionary
    Vice: Masochist

Gnosis 1

Merits:
    High Speech 1 (Free) - Her mind always thought this way somehow.
    Mysterium Status 1 (Free) - She doesn't believe anyone has the answers any more.
    Egregore 1 - She's never felt as real as when she submerges herself in someone else's magic.
    Fluent High Speech 3 - She has a hard time speaking in human sometimes.
    You may converse at length in High Speech. When using High Speech for a Social Action against Mages and Supernal Entities gain +2 bonus to Persuasion and Intimidation rolls as well as not reducing Expression rolls to a chance die. Decrease the Successes needed to summon a supernal entity by 2 if participating in a Summoning. From SoS
    Fame 3 - Still gets radio airtime. Her cover of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon was the #1 album of 2011. Generally regarded to be in a deep midlife crisis.
    Striking Looks 1 - She looks more tired than she used to.
    Resources 2 - A lot is tied up in divorce proceedings and breach-of-contract lawsuits, and more has gone to gambling.

Arcana:
    Space 2
    Mind 3
    Forces 1

Rotes:
    Psychic Domination (Mind, Expression)
    Tune In (Forces, Expression)
    Enhance Skill (Mind, Expression)

Magical Tools:
    The Tarot:
    The Tarot isn't a mechanism for determining the future, it is a machine for excising the self. The slow shuffling of cards, the quiet that comes with allowing them to do the thinking, letting them set the tone and music - it's a way to remove oneself from the process. Cutting away layers of thoughts and willpower and considering perspectives she never would have otherwise.

Liquor Bottles:
    Each one tells a story, each one has a memory. She goes through them with a barkeeper's eye and can always pick the right drink for the right situation.

Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-08-25 at 11:58 PM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Stveje, could you say some words about how you're imagining handling Spirits, Twilight, and the Shadow in this game? Since I'm making a Spirit-focused Thyrsus, I'm planning to do a lot in this area and want to have some understanding of how it works, especially as I start to build a sheet and select spells. I'm thinking about this mechanically in terms of building a character, but also what those mechanics say about the setting and how I should approach problem-solving.
    Short answer: I try to follow your leads. What do you want to do? That's my Golden Rule.

There will be a multitude of spirits to play with, with all the variety that I feel spirits ought to have. That's about all I know. You've voiced an interest in dealing with spirits, so spirits you shall have :)

You haven't yet told me how you wish to deal with spirits, and that's not a problem. Some of it you'll tell me with your stats choices, some will be discovered in play.

I aim not to create situations where only one strategy is valid, even if I thought that was remotely possible in a Mage game. I mean, if I come up with some clever scene where I think you're going to do some variation of A, B, then C, you're totally going to do ᚠ,ᚢ, and ᚦ and make me look dumb.

Should I expect to have to actively fight spirits and take the rote for being able to punch them really well?
    If you make a character who can punch spirits into the next century, I will throw lots of angry spirits at you and make you punch away to your heart's content.

If you make a wimpy character, I may still throw the occasional angry spirit at you, but with the expectation that you'll probably deal with it in a non-punchy way. Or that you'll very occasionally have to fight for your life, perhaps, rather than dramatically One-Punch them.

Should I expect to be able to summon spirits and have them aid me or be willing to talk and bargain or will they be hostile unless I specifically compel them with magic?
    If you wish to summon spirits and have them aid you, go for it!

Some will be happy to talk or bargain, some will be more reticent or even hostile at first, all depends on their nature.

If I focus on being able to gather and transfer essence, will that be effective to befriend or bribe spirits and resolve their problems?
    Certainly. Some will be more ready to accept gifts and bribes, others will be more suspicious or reserved about it.

Should I expect to deal often with spirits possessing people or things, either beneficially or harmfully?
    I don't know if you'll have to deal with it often, unless you want, but with the sheer amount of spirits around, I expect they'll be possessing stuff all the time and all over the place.

Do I need powers that allow accessing and crossing into the Shadow or will most spirits be in the normal world (either possessing stuff or floating around mostly invisibly in Twilight)?
    Will we need to physically enter the Shadow (I have the option of being able to open portals to/from there as a starting character, but I'm undecided if I want to really push dimension hopping from my end right out of the gate)?
    It may come in handy at one point or another, no doubt, but if you don't specialize in it or actively seek it out then it probably just won't be that big a thing. Again, I try to follow your lead.

I only know that the Abyss and the Astral will be important to the story, if nothing else then as Lore; the Shadow may turn out to be important too, if you make it important or really want it to play a role, otherwise it probably won't be a big thing.

Should I expect to need to repair weak areas of the Gauntlet or to weaken overly strong areas to be able to work?
    Same. Pick the powers you like, and do what you think will be most fun for you, and I'll do my best to throw that sort of stuff at you.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    I only know that the Abyss and the Astral will be important to the story, if nothing else then as Lore; the Shadow may turn out to be important too, if you make it important or really want it to play a role, otherwise it probably won't be a big thing.
    Tell me about your plans for the Astral! I wound up taking Mind over Space because it opened the door to goetia, but it also puts me more into sync with the Astral planes so ideas you have regarding it are highly relevant to me.

N.B. I have extremely developed and clear ideas for how the Mage cosmology works within my own understanding but I will generally not push any of them unless explicitly asked; I'm generally more curious as to how your ideas function.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Name: Clover.
    Shadow Name: The Witch of the Two Streets.
    Deadname: 404 content not found, try a different timestream?
    Academic Ability: Ordinary.
    Athletic Ability: Above Average.
    Blood Type: O.
    Favorite Food: Seafood Udon.
    Animal: Fox.
    Tarot Card: Clover is the Queen of Cups. The Witch of the Two Streets is the Moon.

Virtue: Nurturing.
    Vice: Impish.
    Aspirations: TBD
    Obsession: TBD

Path: Acanthus.
    Order: Silver Ladder.
    Nimbus: A Portentous Air. Nimbus Tilt: -1 Composure.
    Arcanum: Fate 3, Time 2, Life 1.
    Dedicated Tool: Tarot Deck (Mirror).
    Other Tools: Silver Knife (Weapon), Old Teacup (Cup), Silver Dollar (Coin).
    Rotes: Exceptional Luck (Persuasion), Heightened Senses (Empathy), Speak With Beasts (Empathy).
    Praxis: Serendipity.

Attributes
    Strength 2 Dexterity 2 Stamina 2
    Presence 2 Manipulation 4 Composure 3
    Intelligence 2 Wits 3 Resolve 2

Skills
    Craft 3 (Repair +1), Investigation 3, Occult 2.
    Empathy 3, Intimidation 2 (Leave My Gardens +1), Persuasion 4 (Life Advice +1), Streetwise 2.
    Athletics 2, Brawl 2.

Merits
    Dream 2
    Striking Looks 2
    Shadow Name 2
    Trained Observer 1
    Hallow 1
    Safe Place/Sanctum 1/1
    (Free: Order 1, High Speech 1)

Aesthetics

Commonly Found:

(As Clover, often by day)
    - "thinking with her eyes closed" in the shade
    - taking a break from work to chat with someone or have a drink
    - telling someone's fortune, often by giving them a card reading or reading their palm
    - on her knees among the flowers, busy with the duties of gardening
    - having a "one-sided" conversation with an animal

(As the Witch of the Two Streets, often by night)
    - beating the bounds
    - considering someone's fate or physically following its path, then taking decisive action
    - filling a sketchbook with her studies and notes on a Mystery
    - "weeding" unwanted influences from her gardens
    - nonchalantly fixing something for someone at three in the morning

Clover's Aesthetics
    Draw her eyes as always closed!
    Cute little fangs!
    Mixes practical gardening clothes with garish, colorful tank-tops and graphic tees. Fanny pack! Big floppy sun hat! Thick gloves! Bright red hair messy and loose; whenever she tries to pin it up, it always ends up a mess as soon as the camera leaves her, even if it's just for a beat.
    Half-asleep all the time; apologetic little yawns and spacey demeanor.
    Usually has a half-open bottle of hard lemonade to share, stashed away somewhere nearby.
    Broke(tm); usually has just enough to buy a round, and that's it. Goes dumpster diving and buys her clothes second-or-third-hand, cheerfully. May actually "live" in a back room at the shrine.

The Witch of the Two Streets' Aesthetics
    Eyes open but hooded/in shadow, ranging from amused and playful to disdainful and scary. Usually the former, though!
    Draw her yaeba as a little scarier/more like actual fangs!
    Big fur collar on her big black biker jacket, black leggings, silver belt with a silver knife, and big gaudy silver hoop earrings. Hair up in a ponytail, bangs behaving and severe. Major "Brie Larson in Scott Pilgrim" energies. Wears a classy black hat.
    Awake. Very awake. Even when it's the middle of the night. "Took a nap earlier."
    Usually has a travel-sized sketchbook to hand, full of practice sketches and warm-ups and Fate Matrixes (which look like tangled, color-coded mazes).
    Does her best to come across as numinous, absolutely self-assured, and playful as long as you're not on her "weeding" list. More likely to give you an ominous warning and then watch from a safe distance as your fortune collapses around your ears if she wants you to stay out of her gardens.

(Ported from CMWGE, but still useful for me as an anchor point!)
    Arc Color: Purple (Shepherd) Arc. "Shepherd Arcs teach you to guard things, guide things, and wake powers in things. They're about taking care of others."
    Emotion XP: (overacted) shiver of numinous terror or awe. "Wonder, terror, or mystery enough to draw the players for a moment into the illusion that there truly is a Witch who watches over the Two Streets."
    Chibi-Quest: "Gardener of the Two Streets." Once per scene, earn 1 XP towards this quest by commenting, "hands in the dirt," usually either gleefully or ruefully. You don't have to sigh and murmur "yare yare" to yourself beforehand, but it can't hurt!

Music
    Your Name: Dusk Till Dawn nails the joyful transgression of Clover, and the lyrics work well as a love song for the Two Streets. "you'll never be alone, I'll be with you from dusk till dawn. I'll hold you when things go wrong, I'll be with you from dusk till dawn, I'll be with you from dusk till dawn -- baby, I'm right here!"
    Tear You Up was a major inspiration for the dangerous edge of the Witch of the Two Streets. "I will only say this once, off you go, sparing you what you reap from what you sow; I am my lady's first line of defense, and I just can't let you through. You intrude at my loved ones' expense, so what am I to do?"
    Good Morning is not just sung by a fantastic trans gal, but acted as my first point of inspiration for the character. "Getting out of my head, I know I just can't start the day like this; the waking world is not what it should be! Within a hurting mind, there's nothing else to find but reflections of life found only in dream..."
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-07-05 at 05:48 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Tell me about your plans for the Astral! I wound up taking Mind over Space because it opened the door to goetia, but it also puts me more into sync with the Astral planes so ideas you have regarding it are highly relevant to me.

N.B. I have extremely developed and clear ideas for how the Mage cosmology works within my own understanding but I will generally not push any of them unless explicitly asked; I'm generally more curious as to how your ideas function.
    There are some things I'd rather let you [l]earn IC, I think, so without getting too deep into some of my thoughts: one of my own biggest realizations is perhaps best illustrated by a journey.

You lay down to sleep, to dream. You enter the Astral, specifically your own dreams. This is the closest, most familiar layer to you personally, after all.

You descend deeper down through the Astral, from your own dreams to the dreams of Humanity.

You descend deeper still, from the dreams of Humanity to the dreams of the World.

If you continue descending, you reach, eventually, the shores of the Abyss, and across that blackness is the Supernal, its Watchtowers shining across. Could you in theory descend into the Abyss, just like you descended deeper into the other layers of dreaming, and emerge deeper than deep, into the Supernal? You can't, of course ... or such a feat would be epic and utterly Mad indeed, and the outcome not at all certain but probably horribly deadly, but conceptually it makes sense.

The realization that the Abyss and the Supernal are, in a way, extensions of the Astral - of dreams - is a point I think about.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Name: Rebecca Steiner
    Shadow Name: Hayabusa

Awakening: The wild, the journey, the anima mundi and the ecstatic wind, freedom, return by choice
    Outlook: Mediator, negotiator, problem-solver, wants to just let it all go and fly
    Look: Long dark hair - Runner's body - tall - loose shirts and short dresses or pants - impatient eyes
    Animal: Falcon
    Tarot: Idiotic superstition, come pet something fluffy and then take a walk instead of sitting around with dumb cards.

Virtue: Duty
    Vice: Wild Abandon
    Aspirations: 1) Find somebody with a Spirit problem 2) Intervene in someone or something else's problem 3) ??
    Obsessions: 1) Learn about Changelings and how they work with Spirit.

Path: Thyrsus
    Order: Mysterium
    Nimbus: Blood racing. -1 Wits
    Tools: Bird's talon (Weapon, Dedicated), Smartphone (mirror), cut wood charm (staff), Waterskin (cup)

Mage Core
    Gnosis: 1
    Arcana: Spirit 3, Life 2, Prime 1
    Wisdom: 7
    Praxes: Pierce deception
    Rotes:
    Sacred Geometry (Survival)
    Spirit Summon (Persuasion)
    Place of Power (Survival)

Attributes
    Physical Mental Social
    Strength 3 Intelligence 2 Presence 2
    Dexterity 2 Wits 2 Manipulation 2
    Stamina 3 Resolve 3 Composure 3

Skills
    Physical Mental Social
    Athletics 1 Academics 1 Animal Ken 1 (city animals) +1
    Brawl 5 Computer 2 (profiling +1) Intimidation 2
    Survival 5 Occult 1 Persuasion 3 (gifts and favors +1)
    Politics 1 Streetwise 1

Derived Traits
    Spoiler: From Gnosis
    Show
    Mana: 8/10 1 per turn
    Yantras: 2
    Paradox: 1
    Ritual: 3 hours
    Combined spells: 1

Size: 5
    Health: 8 (1 bashing)
    Speed: 10
    Willpower:3/6
    Initiative: 5
    Defense: 7

Spoiler: Conditions
    Show

Seen the light: like mystery commands from changeling might. Resolves if I foil a whisper.

Merits
    1 Defensive Combat (brawl): Use brawl to calculate your defense
    2 Mysterium status
    1 High Speech
    1 Egregore: combined spellcasting without the penalty and add automatic success, if everybody involved has this merit
    4 Familiar
    Spoiler: Rushing Heartbeat, spirit of Thrill
    Show

Rushing Heartbeat appears in the form of a great bird of prey, much larger than any real hawk or falcon, and it maintains itself in constant motion, often swooping in and out of great dives.
    Rank 2
    Species factor: 10
    size: 4
    essence 15/15
    Power 4
    Finesse 4
    Resistance 1
    Corpus: 5
    Willpower: 5/5
    Defense: 4
    Speed: 18
    Ban: Rushing Heartbeat must engage in a chase or hunt once a month or lose all willpower
    Bane: Birdcages or immobilizing traps
    Influence2: Strengthen or Manipulate Thrill
    Manifestation: Familiar (no essence bleed, freely use other manifestations, share senses, sympathetic casting, mana/essence conversion at cost 1)
    Numina: Drain (can steal essence or willpower from material beings), Pathfinder (1 essence, can know the fastest route to any destination. Contested by safe place), Speed (2 or 4 essence to double or triple speed)
    Loose in Twilight
    Sometimes likes to fetter to predatory animals or to weapons and athletic tools

Sanctum/Safe Space 1/1 (totals 2/2 with Raz as of drafting)
    Striking Looks 1 (one wonders if spirits are impacted by looks)
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-10-11 at 12:52 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Some words on spirit

I see most normal spirits as instinctual and somewhat feral. Their initial response is guarded hostility, but they won't immediately jump for the throat if you're not threatening them and you don't look like a target yourself (think, like, the advice for how to handle coyotes or wolves). Spirits that have showed up outside of the Shadow are always bleeding essence unless they get someone or something to attach themselves to, so they tend to be protective of their territory or feeling a little desperate if they're loose. But, this also means they're totally open to bribes. Give a normal spirit even a single essence and you've just bought it time and satiated it, so now you're awesome. Ask it for help and offer it one more essence than whatever it's help will cost it and it sees that as coming out ahead. Gifts and favors in exchange for service in most cases. If nothing else is going on, the spirit rarely has a reason to refuse this kind of exchange, it's always in its self interest to gain resources. Spirits can also be threatened: if you steal their essence, hurt their corpus, or intimidate them in a way that shows you can do those things, they will obey you out of self-preservation instinct and will stop fighting before they're destroyed if given the opportunity. Absent exchange or threat, the spirit acts according to its instincts and can often be guided with minimal or no magic if the desired action can be made to line up with the spirit's nature. Solving problems with simple rogue spirits tends to be about fixing something in the material world that has set them off in some way (like a spirit of a park being threatened with having it paved over). Spirits of higher rank (3+, maybe the top tier of the rank 2s) are more intelligent and have a more complex agenda including ruling groups of lesser spirits, but they're also more distant and rarely even want to be crossing the gauntlet. If summoned, they need bargaining unless the magic is strong enough to compel them.

I think spirits become an issue for mortals and a point of interest for Mages in two major ways. The first is the "natural" way where there is an area for some reason where the gauntlet is weak, leading spirits to reach across or materialize across and start causing trouble for mortals as they seek out resources. This is often a locus or at least a week gauntlet spot, which can happen in remote areas or specific weak spots within cities, or be caused by events such as murders or extreme emotional highs happening repeatedly in the same place. The second is when spirits end up in the world to serve the agenda of somebody else, like another mage, a werewolf, some other supernatural goings on, where the spirit's presence and causing problems indicates some broader agenda related to the spirit's master. As a PC, I can of course also seek out power and trouble by summoning spirits myself or crossing the gauntlet to consult with them.

If you look at the rotes I took and the general options available by having that third dot of spirit, I'd say I'm looking particularly for that first "natural" sort of problem. I'm sure there are other spirit mages out there to deal with, but as an opening matter, I'm interested in having places in the world that are unstable and where Hayabusa can be called on by concerned people to deal with strange happenings and possessions, repair the gauntlet, and make peace. I'm also potentially interested in the reverse issue, where it might benefit Hayabusa to weaken the gauntlet or summon spirits into the world, perhaps as part of deals with stronger spirits or as a way to deal with other types of problems (e.g., perhaps a place with troubled people actually benefits from being opened to surrounding spirits that influence the resonance there, or having a specific spirit come and hunt a harmful spirit. Say hi to my familiar at this point). But either way, my request is to have places of spirit significance feature in the narrative here where appropriate.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

9. - Top - End - #39

Will post the IC sometime Tuesday or thereabouts.

Is there a reason you've all chosen a tarot card? I also note both Jayden and Clover have the Tarot as a dedicated tool, both Mirrors if I'm not mistaken? Surely there are no coincidences here.

Speaking of tools. My personal take on tools is that the tools can be concepts, but your dedicated tool must be a thing: something you can potentially lose or otherwise be forced to replace, since there are rules for that in the book. If your tools are concepts, then your dedicated tool is a particular instance of one of those concepts.

So for example if your Mirror is the Tarot as a concept, then your dedicated tool could be a particular deck of tarot cards or some other representation of the concept, but it can't be the concept itself.

You can do Aspirations and Obsessions now, or as they come to you, whatever works best for you.

I'm going to be awarding XP in bulk whenever there's a time skip or other major shift in the story. Feel free to make a note of things you think should earn you some points, and mention them when we do the tally.

Thanqol
    +1 Occult for being in an Order.

SoS stands for?

Virtue, Vice, Skill Specialties, Praxis, Nimbus? No rush, just reminding you.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

10. - Top - End - #40

Will post the IC sometime Tuesday or thereabouts.

Is there a reason you've all chosen a tarot card? I also note both Jayden and Clover have the Tarot as a dedicated tool, both Mirrors if I'm not mistaken? Surely there are no coincidences here.
    It's critical to Jayden's symbolism, not because of the tarot itself so much as it is a randomization tool.

Did you know that people are atrocious at randomization? You get a person and tell them 'type letters randomly into your keyboard'. A simple computer program can predict which letters you'll hit with 80% accuracy. Even the guy who wrote the program and knew how it worked wasn't able to get it to below 60%. This was theorized to be the reason why lots of cultures independently developed divination techniques - they're primitive randomizers. Your opponent can't predict you'll always attack the left flank or raid Hanzaberg if you're basing your decisions off cow intestines.

So for Jayden, reading the Tarot or playing any sort of card game is about forcing herself to subordinate her will to meaningless chance. It's not the Acanthus thing where you get the right card to help you accomplish your end and read the future; it's a Mastigos thing where your own decision making intellect is compromised so you need to scourge it from the equation.

Speaking of tools. My personal take on tools is that the tools can be concepts, but your dedicated tool must be a thing: something you can potentially lose or otherwise be forced to replace, since there are rules for that in the book. If your tools are concepts, then your dedicated tool is a particular instance of one of those concepts.

So for example if your Mirror is the Tarot as a concept, then your dedicated tool could be a particular deck of tarot cards or some other representation of the concept, but it can't be the concept itself.
    *Nod nod* Entirely fair. I'm planning on doing a bit more on tools but brain is a little dead and I need to play with the symbolisms a bit. I think the dedicated tool is the first deck of cards she lost money playing against, which she took home after the game.

You can do Aspirations and Obsessions now, or as they come to you, whatever works best for you.

I'm going to be awarding XP in bulk whenever there's a time skip or other major shift in the story. Feel free to make a note of things you think should earn you some points, and mention them when we do the tally.
    I generally don't like doing aspirations. I think the Obsession is important, I'd phrase it as something like 'Discover what winning really is'. She wants to know what utopia looks like before she starts working to get there.

Thanqol
    +1 Occult for being in an Order.

SoS stands for?

Virtue, Vice, Skill Specialties, Praxis, Nimbus? No rush, just reminding you.
    Thanks for the reminders - man it's been a hot minute since I've done a Mage sheet. SoS is signs of sorcery, a 2E splatbook. I didn't read it, I just pulled the merit off the WoD wiki.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-07-07 at 06:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

I’ll note that I did read Signs of Sorcery and can provide details whenever necessary.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

The mage core book has a tarot card associated with each path to help provide symbolism. They’re all very vague, but do broadly associate with certain themes that differ from one another. My response in my character sheet was to include it as a bit of a joke since Rebecca doesn’t care for it at all, but both other characters have it as a chosen image for themselves.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #43

It's critical to Jayden's symbolism, not because of the tarot itself so much as it is a randomization tool.

Did you know that people are atrocious at randomization? You get a person and tell them 'type letters randomly into your keyboard'. A simple computer program can predict which letters you'll hit with 80% accuracy. Even the guy who wrote the program and knew how it worked wasn't able to get it to below 60%. This was theorized to be the reason why lots of cultures independently developed divination techniques - they're primitive randomizers. Your opponent can't predict you'll always attack the left flank or raid Hanzaberg if you're basing your decisions off cow intestines.
    And then they invented psychology so they could predict how someone looking at a bunch of steaming cow guts would interpret them?

Randomness is a fascinating topic indeed. It's funny that a computer program can tell you whether something is random, but it can't produce true randomness itself. That's why you have true random number generators based on things like atmospheric noise, atomic decay, and the heat produced by the CPU.

Also, I love when you see people posting supposedly cryptic codes on conspiracy theory sites or wherever, and you can prove it's just them mashing their keyboards because people have certain ways they do that - mashing their keyboards - which is almost personally unique, as well as not random at all.

So for Jayden, reading the Tarot or playing any sort of card game is about forcing herself to subordinate her will to meaningless chance. It's not the Acanthus thing where you get the right card to help you accomplish your end and read the future; it's a Mastigos thing where your own decision making intellect is compromised so you need to scourge it from the equation.
    Makes excellent sense.

I generally don't like doing aspirations. I think the Obsession is important, I'd phrase it as something like 'Discover what winning really is'. She wants to know what utopia looks like before she starts working to get there.
    Since we're not going to do the nitty-gritty of beats (unless you really want that), they're not essential. I think of them as another way for you to tell me what you're interested in. If you have Aspirations, I'll do my best to keep them in mind when I'm looking for something to throw your way, otherwise I'll just do my best to think of things I think you'll have fun with. That's all.

Thanks for the reminders - man it's been a hot minute since I've done a Mage sheet. SoS is signs of sorcery, a 2E splatbook. I didn't read it, I just pulled the merit off the WoD wiki.
    Okie dokie

The mage core book has a tarot card associated with each path to help provide symbolism. They’re all very vague, but do broadly associate with certain themes that differ from one another. My response in my character sheet was to include it as a bit of a joke since Rebecca doesn’t care for it at all, but both other characters have it as a chosen image for themselves.
    I'm inclined to see it as a sign that the Tarot is somehow significant to your cabal and/or the story.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

14. - Top - End - #44

IC thread is live!

I'll be doing a lot of these news pieces now and then. You are free to follow up on any one of them or ignore them as you please. Some of them may turn out to be significant, or connected, others may just be background noise or flavor. I won't tell you which, of course, and I welcome wild speculation at all times :)

I ... think there was something else I needed to remember, but of course it escapes me now. Ah well.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

My favorite Swords card is the Nine of Swords, a.k.a. “oh my god why did I buy so many swords”

(That’s a lie, the Three of Swords is the one closest to my heart, pun unintended.)
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Since we're not going to do the nitty-gritty of beats (unless you really want that), they're not essential. I think of them as another way for you to tell me what you're interested in. If you have Aspirations, I'll do my best to keep them in mind when I'm looking for something to throw your way, otherwise I'll just do my best to think of things I think you'll have fun with. That's all.
    Same. The two I wrote are not actually things I aspire to do, they're problems I hope the character has thrown at them.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

What I think is what will happen here is that I’ll end up using my godly Persuade, and presumably will go out and walk until I happen upon the person who needs to be talked to and/or needs advice on how to live their life that they’re willing to take from a very memorable and slightly unreal woman at two in the morning[1]. Does that sound right to you?

[1]: The Witch’s native genre is a Haruki Murakami novel, tbh
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-07-10 at 01:37 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    What I think is what will happen here is that I’ll end up using my godly Persuade, and presumably will go out and walk until I happen upon the person who needs to be talked to and/or needs advice on how to live their life that they’re willing to take from a very memorable and slightly unreal woman at two in the morning[1]. Does that sound right to you?

[1]: The Witch’s native genre is a Haruki Murakami novel, tbh
    Sure. Go for it.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure. Go for it.
    By “go for it” it sounds like I get to make up my own person to approach, is that correct? If so, that’s cool, I’m just warning you that you’ll have to roll with my punches.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    By “go for it” it sounds like I get to make up my own person to approach, is that correct? If so, that’s cool, I’m just warning you that you’ll have to roll with my punches.
    Punch, and I'll roll I know who the cards refer to, but who points you to them could be anyone. When I say "go for it" I mean roll the dice, and if you want to tell me who you go to, that's cool, if not, I'll tell you who you find. Either way is fine with me
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

21. - Top - End - #51

As a little note, Sassolino's position is in keeping with the Silver Ladder's thought. The Silver Ladder's tenant, The Awakened are one nation, applies to the Seers too - the Seers are criminals, traitors and counterrevolutionaries but the Ladder views conflict with the Seers as a civil conflict - a policing action or a guerrilla insurgency depending on their relative strength. It's not a war of annihilation for the Ladder in the same way as it is for the Free Council.

This little theological difference was a big focus for Mage Noir which discussed Awakening politics following WW2 in the context of the magical version of Operation Paperclip, and it soured FC/Silver Ladder politics for a generation.

(I like the conflict, it is a good one)

Incidentally it might be making my posts a bit tricky to read, but Jayden is very specifically not thinking in terms of 'I' or using her own name in her inner dialogue; she's always referring to her thoughts as a distancing 'she' deliberately. It's part of her larger effort to always put herself in the context of other people and not assert her own mind unless it's extremely deliberate; things will change when she comes to doing that.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Just want to flag that while the life 1 spell can scan for broader categories of life, you typically specify what you're looking for (like "humans" or "owls") specifically so stuff like molds, fungus, and the assorted microscopic stuff doesn't ping for you and overload the spell with an answer of "yes, life everywhere."

I don't know what might be weird though, so I'll go roll the dice.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #53

As a little note, Sassolino's position is in keeping with the Silver Ladder's thought. The Silver Ladder's tenant, The Awakened are one nation, applies to the Seers too - the Seers are criminals, traitors and counterrevolutionaries but the Ladder views conflict with the Seers as a civil conflict - a policing action or a guerrilla insurgency depending on their relative strength. It's not a war of annihilation for the Ladder in the same way as it is for the Free Council.

This little theological difference was a big focus for Mage Noir which discussed Awakening politics following WW2 in the context of the magical version of Operation Paperclip, and it soured FC/Silver Ladder politics for a generation.

(I like the conflict, it is a good one)
    Yeah, but there's a crucial conflict which inevitably comes up even if a théarch were to hear her out: the Seers believe you must bow and serve the Exarchs, and the whole hierarchy below them but above you. The Ladder would climb up into Heaven and kick the bastards out if they could.

Sassolino's sect believes that the Awakened are one Family, that the Oracles either don't exist or aren't rebels at all, but they're still Seers even if the rest of the Seers would deny it. Being Family to a Seer means respecting your Elders, serving the Family ... all the way up to your Heavenly Fathers, the Exarchs. So when a Seer says, "let's all be family," it maybe sounds nice at first, until you realize they're talking about the Mafia and they want to recruit you as lowly goons.

The Inclusionists are mentioned on p. 116 of the Seers of the Throne book.

Just want to flag that while the life 1 spell can scan for broader categories of life, you typically specify what you're looking for (like "humans" or "owls") specifically so stuff like molds, fungus, and the assorted microscopic stuff doesn't ping for you and overload the spell with an answer of "yes, life everywhere."
    I know. It was just a note that there's all this other life, which is probably just the usual stuff. You don't have to look for vermin to know that some of the great, teeming life you see in there is probably mice and rats.

If you stare at a picture of a house trying to find Waldo, you still see the house, even if you're ignoring the details. You know it has windows even if you're not counting them and noting down their colors. And you would probably know if the house had no windows, even without checking. Likewise, Hayabusa would know if this house had none of the usual life, even though she's looking for people.

There could be a bear in there. She wouldn't expect to find a bear, so she's not looking specifically for bears. I could still ask you for a reflexive perception check to see if she happens to notice it among the noise - if she happens to notice a bear hiding in the picture of the house while she's looking for Waldo - but otherwise she'd just assume its pattern is part of the usual life you expect in a house.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

24. - Top - End - #54

Yeah, but there's a crucial conflict which inevitably comes up even if a théarch were to hear her out: the Seers believe you must bow and serve the Exarchs, and the whole hierarchy below them but above you. The Ladder would climb up into Heaven and kick the bastards out if they could.

Sassolino's sect believes that the Awakened are one Family, that the Oracles either don't exist or aren't rebels at all, but they're still Seers even if the rest of the Seers would deny it. Being Family to a Seer means respecting your Elders, serving the Family ... all the way up to your Heavenly Fathers, the Exarchs. So when a Seer says, "let's all be family," it maybe sounds nice at first, until you realize they're talking about the Mafia and they want to recruit you as lowly goons.

The Inclusionists are mentioned on p. 116 of the Seers of the Throne book.
    Ooooo, super cool stuff. Yesssss.

25. - Top - End - #55

Ooooo, super cool stuff. Yesssss.
    And if Sassolino seems disrespectful of her biological mother and father, that's missing an important detail: she is the head of that family. Her mother is a Sleeper, her father a Sleepwalker. She sees her obligation as a Mage the same way any daughter has an obligation to her infirm, old parents: to look after their best interests, as they can't be expected to do so themselves.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Since Raz posted after me, somebody will sort out where that text message goes. The mundane answer is that it winds up on Clover's old computer that she'll check later instead of to a phone. The more interesting answer is that Jayden acts as a supernal answering service and routes all our calls. But I'm open to suggestions.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

27. - Top - End - #57

Since Raz posted after me, somebody will sort out where that text message goes. The mundane answer is that it winds up on Clover's old computer that she'll check later instead of to a phone. The more interesting answer is that Jayden acts as a supernal answering service and routes all our calls. But I'm open to suggestions.
    I have something in mind

Anyway, quick question, Rushing Heart is not invisible to spirits, right? It's only you, if I read you right
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I have something in mind

Anyway, quick question, Rushing Heart is not invisible to spirits, right? It's only you, if I read you right
    We share a sympathy of “self” so I think he could be invisible. I was debating leaving him outside, so I’d say to narrate with whatever result will actually let Hayabusa approach the changeling. She would know if bringing in a higher rank Spirit without hiding it would cause all the small local spirits to scatter or otherwise react in a way that would give her away.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #59

We share a sympathy of “self” so I think he could be invisible. I was debating leaving him outside, so I’d say to narrate with whatever result will actually let Hayabusa approach the changeling. She would know if bringing in a higher rank Spirit without hiding it would cause all the small local spirits to scatter or otherwise react in a way that would give her away.
    Good point. There's certainly nothing stopping you from just casting the spell on your familiar, so I'll assume you do that.

I do want to point out that being invisible to spirits won't prevent you from being seen with mundane eyes, nor creaking floor boards giving you away. It won't stop you from approaching the changeling, but I've assumed she knows you're coming. If you want to make a stealth roll, there's still time, but it would be against 3 successes.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Good point. There's certainly nothing stopping you from just casting the spell on your familiar, so I'll assume you do that.

I do want to point out that being invisible to spirits won't prevent you from being seen with mundane eyes, nor creaking floor boards giving you away. It won't stop you from approaching the changeling, but I've assumed she knows you're coming. If you want to make a stealth roll, there's still time, but it would be against 3 successes.
    I’m untrained, so that’s not even possible to beat. The point hopefully is that Hayabusa isn’t hiding herself, but she also isn’t giving herself away when she’s still really distant. I’m sure the changeling knows when she’s right outside the room it’s in.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes