The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Unraveling Tapestries OOC: Initial Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Iím untrained, so thatís not even possible to beat. The point hopefully is that Hayabusa isnít hiding herself, but she also isnít giving herself away when sheís still really distant. Iím sure the changeling knows when sheís right outside the room itís in.
    Dex is 2, untrained penalty is -1, so that's a single die (not a chance die). Not impossible, you'd just have to roll 10, 10, 10 or spend Willpower. But I get your point
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

2. - Top - End - #62

Ugh. Why do some posts always taken ten times as long to write as other posts? I keep thinking this is crap, but so be it, it'll have to do.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

3. - Top - End - #63

Will have a post up in the morning. Had hoped tonight, but the blasted heat has my brain barely operating, sorry.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Will have a post up in the morning. Had hoped tonight, but the blasted heat has my brain barely operating, sorry.
    No worries! Mage especially is such a big concept space, so taking time on posts is fine. From my end this isnít a game where I will always post right away either. Sometimes you need to sleep in a plan. But, I am very intrigued by this game and look forward to what comes next.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.Ē
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #65

No worries! Mage especially is such a big concept space, so taking time on posts is fine. From my end this isnít a game where I will always post right away either. Sometimes you need to sleep in a plan. But, I am very intrigued by this game and look forward to what comes next.
    Thanks :) I do intend to try posting a little more actively, since I only have the one game now, but you're right, it does sometimes require a bit more thought. Which the heat isn't helping with
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Hum! Is there a chance of pulling over to pick up poor lilí Mayvel panhandling at the side of the road, or does our driver not take requests?
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Hum! Is there a chance of pulling over to pick up poor lilí Mayvel panhandling at the side of the road, or does our driver not take requests?
    There's always a chance You'll get there slightly later (right when things go down as opposed to a few seconds before), unless you have some Timey-Wimey in mind as well. But sure, you can ask to stop and pick her up, if you want.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

There's always a chance You'll get there slightly later (right when things go down as opposed to a few seconds before), unless you have some Timey-Wimey in mind as well. But sure, you can ask to stop and pick her up, if you want.
    Worth. Letís roll, Jayden.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

I believe I'm waiting on Raz?
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

I like how Jayden thinks that the Witch has a clue as to whatís going on
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

I like how Jayden thinks that the Witch has a clue as to whatís going on
    Mages are equally cryptic when they know things as when they don't.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

12. - Top - End - #72

Anarion, did you picture Hayabusa jumping into the pit to kick the spirit, or did you intend it differently? Not that I want to dissuade you from jumping into a deep, black pit to kick the living ... uh, daylights out of a nightmare spirit, just want to make sure

Edit: And thanks to this, I just learned that there's apparently a distinction between a "drop kick" (dropping a ball and kicking it as it falls) and a "dropkick" (jumping to kick someone with both feet). The wonders of random Wikipedia look-ups
    Last edited by stveje; 2019-07-30 at 01:38 AM.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Anarion, did you picture Hayabusa jumping into the pit to kick the spirit, or did you intend it differently? Not that I want to dissuade you from jumping into a deep, black pit to kick the living ... uh, daylights out of a nightmare spirit, just want to make sure

Edit: And thanks to this, I just learned that there's apparently a distinction between a "drop kick" (dropping a ball and kicking it as it falls) and a "dropkick" (jumping to kick someone with both feet). The wonders of random Wikipedia look-ups
    Iím game to jump into the pit unless the result is obviously stupid and crippling. But like, proving myself to the changeling and going all out to knock out the spirit is the goal here.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.Ē

14. - Top - End - #74

Opting to wait on Anarion to finish setting the scene before posting.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Opting to wait on Anarion to finish setting the scene before posting.
    Will roll some D10s soon. Note that Hayabusa is deaf until I get time to fix that.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #76

Oh dang, sorry for the delay, I have had a hell of a week. I'll post here soon.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, also, if I do have a bit of time walking through the basement before Hayabusa reaches the owl tree, I think life 2 could appropriately remove a deafened tilt (there's no spell listed for specifically removing tilts, but it seems about the same to me as removing a disease or intentionally controlling other body functions like metabolism and breathing, both of which are life 2). So, would it be okay to just do that if there's no time pressure?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh dang, sorry for the delay, I have had a hell of a week. I'll post here soon.
    Hell-weeks happen. Hope all is back to not-hell for you.

Oh, also, if I do have a bit of time walking through the basement before Hayabusa reaches the owl tree, I think life 2 could appropriately remove a deafened tilt (there's no spell listed for specifically removing tilts, but it seems about the same to me as removing a disease or intentionally controlling other body functions like metabolism and breathing, both of which are life 2). So, would it be okay to just do that if there's no time pressure?
    The tilt ends on its own after a few minutes, so by the time you make your way out of the tunnels sounds about right. And since I never said it did actual damage, I guess it doesn't require something like Knit to heal it ... if you want to hasten things a bit.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

19. - Top - End - #79

Cool, I didn't know you could do that with Space 2, but it's literally the example they give
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

20. - Top - End - #80

Cool, I didn't know you could do that with Space 2, but it's literally the example they give
    Space 2: Everywhere's a drive-thru.

21. - Top - End - #81

I love how there's this thing that can happen to Mages sometimes, where someone's being weird and poetic and cryptic and it's impossible to tell if they're being mysterious and wise or if they randomly blundered into the situation off the back of a hunch and fate spell.

22. - Top - End - #82

I somehow missed completely that Jayden has Forces. I might have given you a bit more for free, had I known. Ah well, my apologies
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

My apologies for the radio silence; Iím having trouble finding my footing here.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

I'll be a bit busy this weekend, but I'll have a post up sometime today.

My apologies for the radio silence; Iím having trouble finding my footing here.
    What can I do to help? Anything I can clarify, or are you looking for something specific to happen? If you just don't have anything to say right this moment, I was going to post in response to Jayden anyway, but if it's something more general, I'd like to figure out what I can do different to help you.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

stveje, where can I officially buy the album for that owl song you linked? I want it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #86

stveje, where can I officially buy the album for that owl song you linked? I want it.
    I have no idea, tbh. I just stumbled on the video and loved both the song and the image. I think it's this singer, but I can't tell which album the song is on. I think kokia.com is her official page, although I honestly don't know, what with not speaking Japanese
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I have no idea, tbh. I just stumbled on the video and loved both the song and the image. I think it's this singer, but I can't tell which album the song is on. I think kokia.com is her official page, although I honestly don't know, what with not speaking Japanese
    You would think my speaking Japanese would help, but what I've gathered is that this is some kind of side project she has and it isn't on any of her official albums, but was instead released under its own branding somehow. It has this site set up for it. But that site only previews it. Then if you from there, you can find individual physical products that appear to be CDs...maybe? But most of them are sold out, they're only priced in yen, and I can't figure out what you're actually getting if you order one.

I take this all to mean she doesn't want my money very badly.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

What can I do to help? Anything I can clarify, or are you looking for something specific to happen? If you just don't have anything to say right this moment, I was going to post in response to Jayden anyway, but if it's something more general, I'd like to figure out what I can do different to help you.
    The characterís voice isnít congealing properly, and as usual I have no clue what to do once Iím actually playing Mage. Itís all puzzles! And I am bad at mechanical ďhow can you cleverly use these powersĒ games. Iíll have more coherent thoughts in a hot minute once Iím recovered from English Camp.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

The characterís voice isnít congealing properly, and as usual I have no clue what to do once Iím actually playing Mage. Itís all puzzles! And I am bad at mechanical ďhow can you cleverly use these powersĒ games. Iíll have more coherent thoughts in a hot minute once Iím recovered from English Camp.
    If you need to rethink the Witch, or even create a new character, that's perfectly understandable. Perhaps a character who approaches things more ... simply. Not necessarily "Hulk SMASH!" levels of simple, but you know ... if you dislike puzzles, choosing to just smash your way through every problem is a perfectly valid option Find one thing your character is really good at and just do that in every situation. Really good at smashing? SMASH EVERYTHING! Really good at seducing? SEDUCE EVERYTHING!

"Are you trying to seduce or manipulate the psychic maelstrom?!"
    "... well, it doesn't say anywhere that I can't."

Or, if you think your character ought to be able to think of something, but you yourself can't, asking "what would someone who knows what they're doing do in this situation" is also an option. I mean, I always thought if you were playing a wizard with a gazillion Intelligence, you ought to be allowed to roll Intelligence to solve a puzzle rather than have to solve it yourself (unless you want to solve it yourself, of course).
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Or, if you think your character ought to be able to think of something, but you yourself can't, asking "what would someone who knows what they're doing do in this situation" is also an option. I mean, I always thought if you were playing a wizard with a gazillion Intelligence, you ought to be allowed to roll Intelligence to solve a puzzle rather than have to solve it yourself (unless you want to solve it yourself, of course).
    Much this. We as a group tend to really underuse the research and investigation skills. One thing I've been picking up from the PbtA games, especially recent Fellowship play is to signal when you actually want a cut vs. when you'd like the GM/MC/Storyteller/etc. to hold off a minute. Like, if you're sitting there being like "I'm not quite sure how to Acanthus through this situation" and you want more info but you're also worried that posting will cause Stveje to advance time for everybody and you'll lose the moment just...say that. You can probably even post OOC, ask for info, roll some dice, and get that info without the need to write up an involved internal thought process description post (unless you want to do that).

As far as Witch tone, that's a harder problem and I sometimes have some of the same issue with Mage. There is a bit of inherent sameness to all Mages that is a part of the genre conventions. Every Mage character is the type of person that gets obsessed over something and is interested in figuring it out and solving puzzles about their obsession. Every Mage character that doesn't get killed or coopted immediately into some major bad stuff is someone that gets at least the basics of working with a big magic bureaucracy. That's already saying a lot about the character and it can be easy to apply that scene to scene to just be like "this is the problem, this is how I am thinking about solving the problem, I roll these dice, what happens?"

That said, I've been trying to do a bit more internal dialogue with Hyabusa, and maybe writing out the Witch's thought process might help? How does the Witch process stuff? Does she fit everything into an Acanthus symbol? Does she perceive the world as off in some way, maybe like actually seeing lines of fate or echoes of time reflecting out as she thinks about possible consequences of her actions even without a spell being active? She's pretty actively iconoclastic, do signs of things seeming to fit into boxes and archetypes make her upset or angry? For mine, I want Hyabusa to make the otherworldly seem normal and for her to be the one who comes across as confident and on top of it. Like the last post with the Changeling, it's like "yeah, don't hang out in this house without me, and let's go check out this weird singing, that seems really cool, also I run a shrine!" If I had a business card, I'd have handed it to the Changeling right then too.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes