The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Unraveling Tapestries OOC: Initial Conditions

That question is directed entirely at the Witch so I need to wait on Raz's response
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

My brain is especially grumpy and uncooperative lately, so apologies if my posts are not very amazing
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

3. - Top - End - #93

Hey Thanqol, I want to get a better feel for what reaction you're aiming for. You say you want her to feel vaguely bad, which to me translates to "feel shame", but you also say Jayden looks deliberately punchable, so are you trying to make her punch you? Because that to me implies more than just feeling bad or ashamed about what she did. Even with her resisting your move, that's still an exceptional success, so I want to make sure you get what you're going for/expecting.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Hey Thanqol, I want to get a better feel for what reaction you're aiming for. You say you want her to feel vaguely bad, which to me translates to "feel shame", but you also say Jayden looks deliberately punchable, so are you trying to make her punch you? Because that to me implies more than just feeling bad or ashamed about what she did. Even with her resisting your move, that's still an exceptional success, so I want to make sure you get what you're going for/expecting.
    There are two things here:
    A) Jayden is looking to undermine her sense of self-worth and certainty, ruin her day, and make her feel kind of awful. Shame is about the right thing, but not like 'you were morally bad' shame but 'you didn't even live up to yourself' shame. Ideally she'll create friction between this lady and her bosses, who she assumes are Seers.
    B) Jayden's vice is masochism and her obsession is to do with figuring out ideal realities, so she's totally okay and even eager to get punched if it means someone will be true to themselves afterwards. Path of scourging and all that.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

I’m interested in seeing her response to Jayden before I post again!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Making a perfect Space map that includes a bleed of an uncharted Spirit Manse from the shadow via an active Iris ought to be quite interesting.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Making a perfect Space map that includes a bleed of an uncharted Spirit Manse from the shadow via an active Iris ought to be quite interesting.
    It's a good thing I'm about to be drunk.

Also because I have a drive speciality in 'while drunk'.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's a good thing I'm about to be drunk.

Also because I have a drive speciality in 'while drunk'.
    Best specialty.

Will post in a bit. Just to be clear, you're driving out the back door into the overgrown park, in search of Hayabusa, right?

Also, the zombie is driving, so if the Witch wants to drive she'll have to fight it for the wheel. Just saying, because I'm totally up for some weird fight over who gets to drive
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

9. - Top - End - #99

Best specialty.

Will post in a bit. Just to be clear, you're driving out the back door into the overgrown park, in search of Hayabusa, right?
    Yeah, or wherever the space map directs me.

Also, the zombie is driving, so if the Witch wants to drive she'll have to fight it for the wheel. Just saying, because I'm totally up for some weird fight over who gets to drive
    Use the fight over the wheel as cover for Fate magic buffing the zombie's drive skill IMO.

10. - Top - End - #100

Use the fight over the wheel as cover for Fate magic buffing the zombie's drive skill IMO.
    Perfection *chef's kiss*
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

11. - Top - End - #101

Everything alright, Raz?

I know I'm often terrible at keeping up a pace myself, but I would like to try to speed the game up a bit. I'm realizing that the slower a game moves, the harder it is for me to keep my head and motivation in the game. Also, since this is currently the only game I've got, I'm kinda missing the regular interaction with you guys.

Completely unrelated, but I see Infinity War is on Netflix now. Should I watch it? On one hand, from what I've gathered about it via the inevitable spoilers, I'm just not sure I have any interest in that kind of story. Just knowing about it kinda irks me. Also, I think I've completely lost track of the Marvel movie chronology and I'm sure I've only seen like half of them ... in random order. I'd probably fail to get most of the continuity and constantly wonder who the heck this or that character is, or what the heck is up with this or that thing. Is it even worth trying to catch up? Is it like a "must see" thing, or can I just shrug and spend my limited time on more important things?
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

All my other active games right now are PbtA, and I have steeped my head in that framework. As a player, I know I can always fall back on Moves when I feel stuck, and as an MC, I have been putting myself in the headspace of narrative pacing and making Cuts.

Which, unfortunately, makes it really tough to shift gears and tune into Mage, which also suffers from “this is an 80% of my brain game and all I’ve got is 60% right now.” It’s a game with a lot of conceptual freedom and puzzles, which makes me feel the tyranny of “I need to do something smart or I’ll be a stupid player,” whereas my motivation in my other games right now is solidly “what’s gonna be the most entertaining? what’s gonna provoke emotional reactions from other players? how can I make sure Hilarity Ensues?”

If we didn’t have a triumvirate, the smallest solid grouping of PCs, I probably would have already asked to quietly bow out, because I’m definitely crashing. But I also think Haybusa is solid and awesome and I also miss playing with you, which means instead I just put this on the backburner until “80% brain” and “looking at GiantITP” align. Which is not fair to you. :<
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    All my other active games right now are PbtA, and I have steeped my head in that framework. As a player, I know I can always fall back on Moves when I feel stuck, and as an MC, I have been putting myself in the headspace of narrative pacing and making Cuts.

Which, unfortunately, makes it really tough to shift gears and tune into Mage, which also suffers from “this is an 80% of my brain game and all I’ve got is 60% right now.” It’s a game with a lot of conceptual freedom and puzzles, which makes me feel the tyranny of “I need to do something smart or I’ll be a stupid player,” whereas my motivation in my other games right now is solidly “what’s gonna be the most entertaining? what’s gonna provoke emotional reactions from other players? how can I make sure Hilarity Ensues?”
    I'm not sure my brain is currently up to being super insightful, so I'll just toss out the idea to maybe try just going for entertainment and hilarity like in the other games, and let the Mage system take the back seat, see how that goes?

If we didn’t have a triumvirate, the smallest solid grouping of PCs, I probably would have already asked to quietly bow out, because I’m definitely crashing. But I also think Haybusa is solid and awesome and I also miss playing with you, which means instead I just put this on the backburner until “80% brain” and “looking at GiantITP” align. Which is not fair to you. :<
    I'd miss playing with you too, although there are always other games in the future (not right now, for me, but in a few months it's certainly a possibility). But if you feel that's what you need, then I completely understand, and I'm perfectly okay running this game as a duet if need be. Whatever else, I don't want you to feel you have to keep playing, if it's not working for you.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

14. - Top - End - #104

I'm in a similar boat; I'm definitely feeling the cruft of the World of Darkness mechanics and the push to play smart rather than play expressive. It's clicking in places really well and really deeply, and I still like Mage, but I'm definitely feeling that I have to totally change my mental architecture whenever I come into this thread specifically. I can do it, it just takes more effort than any of my other games.

I'd be delighted to keep playing and can maybe scrounge up an additional player if we need one though!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

This is mostly clicking for me, and I think it's because I made a really solid Thyrsus who is interested in Thyrsus things. So I'm like "yeah, I know what to do in this scene" and the mechanics I have mostly match that. Though, that said, to the extent we can stick it out, I definitely echo the advice to Raz of just doing whatever is interesting or entertaining and not feeling the need to be smart. My current scene is mostly Hayabusa staring at a thing I know I can't actually roll well enough to do while emoting about how much better Jayden would be at solving this problem than she is.

You also might do a bit more, like, scene direction in the Chuubo's style? (For Stveje's benefit, Raz got Thanqol and me pretty into Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine, and it offers some really neat stuff in terms of game structure ). As it applies here, say what you're doing, get input from Stveje on the overall setting (like "haunted mansion" "dogs!" "crazy radio girl" "Pikachu costumes") and then each time say where you want it to go because that would be interesting and dramatic and is totally the kind of thing an Acanthus would do anyway. Forget the rolling and obstacles like how it's physically possible to get to that point, just say it and then see what happens. Maybe Stveje has you roll dice for it, or maybe something different happens but it informs that different thing.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

16. - Top - End - #106

This is mostly clicking for me, and I think it's because I made a really solid Thyrsus who is interested in Thyrsus things. So I'm like "yeah, I know what to do in this scene" and the mechanics I have mostly match that. Though, that said, to the extent we can stick it out, I definitely echo the advice to Raz of just doing whatever is interesting or entertaining and not feeling the need to be smart. My current scene is mostly Hayabusa staring at a thing I know I can't actually roll well enough to do while emoting about how much better Jayden would be at solving this problem than she is.

You also might do a bit more, like, scene direction in the Chuubo's style? (For Stveje's benefit, Raz got Thanqol and me pretty into Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine, and it offers some really neat stuff in terms of game structure ). As it applies here, say what you're doing, get input from Stveje on the overall setting (like "haunted mansion" "dogs!" "crazy radio girl" "Pikachu costumes") and then each time say where you want it to go because that would be interesting and dramatic and is totally the kind of thing an Acanthus would do anyway. Forget the rolling and obstacles like how it's physically possible to get to that point, just say it and then see what happens. Maybe Stveje has you roll dice for it, or maybe something different happens but it informs that different thing.
    There's also the option of just killing mechanical complexity at the source by going into a combination Mage/Simple World make-it-up-as-we-go casual hack. There are pros and cons to that, but I think the pros might significantly outweigh the cons.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Then I will turn my focus towards “what’s the most interesting thing to do here” and trust that our friend Steve won’t arbitrarily screw me over for not being the smartest and most paranoid wizard ever.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

Then I will turn my focus towards “what’s the most interesting thing to do here” and trust that our friend Steve won’t arbitrarily screw me over for not being the smartest and most paranoid wizard ever.
    If I do, let me know, and I'll try to do better

Also, I want it known that I very much doubt any of my NPCs are the smartest they could be. I guarantee you they're all totally under-utilizing their vast powers, and most are running around like headless chicken throwing magic missiles at the dark. Which, honestly, seems very realistic. I mean, imagine what we humans could achieve if we actually put out vast knowledge and resources to the best, most smartest use, rather than ... whatever the hell it is we're doing right now.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

That was a much better landing than I expected for them. Also, great song choice.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #110

That was a much better landing than I expected for them. Also, great song choice.
    Thanks.

If Hayabusa hadn't stepped in, I expect their landing would have been rather more dramatic.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

21. - Top - End - #111

On further reflection, I realize I should have had them still crash (albeit in the general vicinity of Hayabusa). Alas, sometimes my brain really isn't braining at full power. My thinking went something like, "Oh, the car has a spirit? Cool, I guess that solves everything, then." Which obviously it doesn't, since why should the spirit of a car be able to make said car fly? But I didn't think it through and just ran with it ... and then, ah yes, something something drones, something Transformers, something something ... and that's how the car is now a drone, because ... uh, the Wizard did it! I guess.

My apologies, definitely not my greatest storytelling moment. If you want, we can still retcon it, or just run with it. Either way is fine with me, as long as it works for y'all too.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

On further reflection, I realize I should have had them still crash (albeit in the general vicinity of Hayabusa). Alas, sometimes my brain really isn't braining at full power. My thinking went something like, "Oh, the car has a spirit? Cool, I guess that solves everything, then." Which obviously it doesn't, since why should the spirit of a car be able to make said car fly? But I didn't think it through and just ran with it ... and then, ah yes, something something drones, something Transformers, something something ... and that's how the car is now a drone, because ... uh, the Wizard did it! I guess.

My apologies, definitely not my greatest storytelling moment. If you want, we can still retcon it, or just run with it. Either way is fine with me, as long as it works for y'all too.
    I think it's fine either way. Maybe a little outside help happened too, or the spirit has a particularly on point power+influence that it spent along with a lot of essence.

The reason I thought it would probably be a rough landing is that the spirit of the car doesn't care about the passengers at all. So it would work to preserve the chassis of the car, which is cool, but it's not thinking about things like gforces or which collision routes affect airbag deployment.

Of course, the flip side of all that is that if you wanted to make it a worse result, I think it would be fair for the Witch, especially, to have the opportunity to step in and say "let me just manipulate fate a little bit here. Oh would you look at that, a perfect landing!"

Edit: Although looking at the IC post, I was under the impression that it had not actually hit the ground yet, which is why I hadn't posted and started talking to everyone. Should we assume that one way or another everybody is next to each other now?
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-09-15 at 02:04 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #113

I think it's fine either way. Maybe a little outside help happened too, or the spirit has a particularly on point power+influence that it spent along with a lot of essence.

The reason I thought it would probably be a rough landing is that the spirit of the car doesn't care about the passengers at all. So it would work to preserve the chassis of the car, which is cool, but it's not thinking about things like gforces or which collision routes affect airbag deployment.

Of course, the flip side of all that is that if you wanted to make it a worse result, I think it would be fair for the Witch, especially, to have the opportunity to step in and say "let me just manipulate fate a little bit here. Oh would you look at that, a perfect landing!"
    Oh yes, there's always room for the Witch or Jayden pulling something off to nail the landing. I just felt I maybe took that opportunity away by implying that the problem was already solved.

Edit: Although looking at the IC post, I was under the impression that it had not actually hit the ground yet, which is why I hadn't posted and started talking to everyone. Should we assume that one way or another everybody is next to each other now?
    I intended it as "you've landed and can proceed to post-landing stuff," but we can do it either way you prefer.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

24. - Top - End - #114

Oh yes, there's always room for the Witch or Jayden pulling something off to nail the landing. I just felt I maybe took that opportunity away by implying that the problem was already solved.
    Space 2 Forces 1 give you basically no options when it comes to stopping a falling car, so that one was totally outside my power

25. - Top - End - #115

This is the first time I've been asked to roll for initiative in... seven years, maybe? I'm getting some pretty severe mechanics shock right now, I have forgotten how all of this stuff works and I'm not sure I want to re-learn it all. Do we need to, like, adjust our posting order for this? I'm becoming increasingly concerned I'm focusing far more on the mechanics than the story right now.

Anyway rolled a 10 so 15.

26. - Top - End - #116

This is the first time I've been asked to roll for initiative in... seven years, maybe? I'm getting some pretty severe mechanics shock right now, I have forgotten how all of this stuff works and I'm not sure I want to re-learn it all. Do we need to, like, adjust our posting order for this? I'm becoming increasingly concerned I'm focusing far more on the mechanics than the story right now.

Anyway rolled a 10 so 15.
    Nah, just post as you've always done and I'll worry about the order. This is basically just for me to know whether y'all get to give the enemy the slip, or one or more of you lag behind. Think of it as any other roll: success, you get away, failure, something happens.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

27. - Top - End - #117

Nah, just post as you've always done and I'll worry about the order. This is basically just for me to know whether y'all get to give the enemy the slip, or one or more of you lag behind. Think of it as any other roll: success, you get away, failure, something happens.
    Okay. I also don't know what I should post now though - do I post now getting away, or do I wait for everyone else to do their thing, or is this like an OOC prompt where we all just roll the dice and then you post again describing what away is like?

I'm stewing over this a lot instead of just embracing 'jump through a wacky portal and focus on what that's like emotionally' and it's preventing me from writing anything meaningful.

28. - Top - End - #118

Okay. I also don't know what I should post now though - do I post now getting away, or do I wait for everyone else to do their thing, or is this like an OOC prompt where we all just roll the dice and then you post again describing what away is like?

I'm stewing over this a lot instead of just embracing 'jump through a wacky portal and focus on what that's like emotionally' and it's preventing me from writing anything meaningful.
    Does she simply run for the portal, or does she let everyone else get through first, staying to make sure no one's left behind? Or something else? There are different things one could do in a situation like this, so just figure out what Jayden would do and write that. As you say, just focus on what that's like.

I don't think you need to wait for anyone here to post what Jayden does, but if you feel you do, just make sure to let everyone know OOC so they aren't waiting for you and we get a situation where a week passes in silence

I don't want anyone - myself included - to worry about mechanics unless they want to. If I get all technical sometimes and ground the narrative in some mechanical arcanery, like here with the Witch's spell, I try to do it all behind the scenes so you don't have to worry about it (unless you want to) beyond making the rolls or the decisions I ask of you.

If you're casting a spell or whatever and don't feel like going into all the mechanical detail of it, that's cool. Maybe I will do it for you behind the scenes to see what all the nitty-gritty details of the spell are and how that affects the story, but you can just ignore all that and focus on the story. Or you can get all technical and detailed with your spells, and I'll just nod and focus on the story, maybe. Whatever is most fun for everyone.

For me, at least, some of the reason I get exhausted thinking of mechanics is simply because a lot of it is still so unfamiliar or rusty to me. So I find that occasionally digging into the mechanics really helps me by making it more familiar, less rusty, and thereby more fun. But I will try not to let it distract you guys from what's most important, which is the story.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Two successes on initiative; I'll spend a point of Mana to boost to everyone, no success on that chance die.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

Two successes on initiative; I'll spend a point of Mana to boost to everyone, no success on that chance die.
    Initiative is a single die plus a modifier, not a dice pool, which is weird, I know. Afaik it's the only such roll in WoD. Sorry if I could have made that clearer.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter