The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle Out of Character

The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle

System: Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition

Plot Introduction: A vaguely humanoid shape, silhouetted by an eldritch fire, stands on the cliff looking out over the sea upon the ship being buried in the tempest. The sound of the shape's heavy oaken staff pounding against the stones rings throughout the cave and pours out of its entrance, momentarily muffling the screaming off the storm. At the bidding of the staff's wielder, the gale hastily adapts its form to fulfill its new purpose. A torrent of mad wind rams against the helpless boat, driving it closer to the venomous realm. The ship convulses in the throes of agony and releases a dying howl as it is rended apart by the great pikes of black rock surrounding the cursed domain. As its inhabitants leap from the tortured goliath and frantically swim towards the shore like frightened frogs, the dead eyes of an abominable thing stares lifelessly out at the macabre scene.

And in that moment, the Wild Hunt has begun.

This is a prophecy of the future which will soon come. It is only days until the HMS Tempest will set off on its voyage on the hunt for new lands, only to discover that the land was hunting them as well. The HMS Tempest shall crash on the haunted isle, rife with sinister jungles and biting mountains. And the few crew that survive the crash I doubt will survive, for they will be relentlessly annihilated by the eldritch evils within under the isle's twisted canopy. More than just strange beasts lurk in that cursed jungle within the heart of the sea, there are some beings there that have come to threaten realms outside that accursed isle. An insidious story is being woven by the fey devils upon that island, one with an ending which paints a grim view of the future. And if the adventurers stranded on that island cannot sever the threads of this nightmare, then I fear... no, I know, that the vaults of the underworld will grow gluttonous.

Genres: This campaign will predominantly consist of a combination of characteristics from both phantastical horror and swashbuckling tales, with heavy elements of mystery presented in an unconventional form. Although the campaign setting itself shares more characteristics with low fantasy than high fantasy, the events of this adventure will be exceptionally phantasmagorical in nature, which your characters are undoubtedly unused to dealing with. For many of the horror aspects, I will be heavily drawing upon elements from Lovecraft, Poe, Machen, Dracula and Frankenstein, as well as several other works of Gothic Horror or Weird Fiction. Many of the swashbuckling themes I will be taking from Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Endurance, and In the Heart of the Sea. If I were to pick what the largest influences on my story were though, then I would say that Robinson Crusoe, the writings of Lovecraft, and to a lesser extent The Most Dangerous Game and Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter, where eminent among the many things which inspired me to create this adventure.

Gaming medium: Almost the entirety of this campaign will be conducted through the GitP forum. Maps for combat encounters will be made over Roll20, but the system will only be used to create the maps and no play will actually be done through it. There is a Discord Server for this campaign if you would like to join, but you do not need to because it is only used for brief OOC character that doesn't warrant longer posts, so all the information you would need to know can be accessed through GitP.

Number of players: I shall be accepting a maximum of six players to be involved in the campaign at one time. Those who apply to play but are not originally accepted will be organized into a waiting list, where those in the list will be given a request to join the game, via private message, whenever a player leaves the game. I will be deciding which players are enrolled (and organizing the waiting list) based on my subjective analysis about which characters would make for the best story based on their personalities and themes. I will try to make a decently mechanically balanced party, but that will only be one of the many factors in my decision. My personal opinion on how invested you are in the game and other personality traits unrelated to your character will be used as a factor for me to decide if you are enrolled in this adventure.

Adventure Duration: This is not going to be a full campaign, but rather something much closer to an extended one shot adventure. If I were to play this adventure at a real life table, I predict that it would take about 8 hours to finish, assuming that each combat would take half an hour and roughly half the time at the table would be spent outside of combat. Given how this is a play by post though, then I would say that this adventure will last from 4 to 6 months. You can expect a total of about 8 or so encounters throughout the entirety of the adventure. All characters will start at level 7, and it is doubtful that they will evolve beyond this point.

Useful Links: In Character Thread
    Discord Server (It is optional for you to join)

Spoiler: Playstyle
    Show
    Pillars of Play: It is safe to assume that the party will spend about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time in this campaign in combat, but the tendency of the party towards or against reacting violently to situations may greatly affect this amount. Undoubtedly though exploration will play a great part in this adventure, and being able to survive in the jungle wilds will be a crucial skill. Don't assume that just because you are on a remote island though that there will be no social interaction; quite the contrary actually. There were many other boats which where stranded on this island and dumped out its inhabitants, for reasons you will later learn in the story, so there should be many opportunities for characters to talk.

Flexible Planning: My general approach to designing encounters (when I say encounter, I mean combat and exploration encounters as well as combat ones) runs under a system called "Guided Improvisation". This is basically where I deeply consider and note the general behavior of enemies in the area and their plots, but do not explicitly establish a railroaded set of encounters which the players must go to. Instead, I only plan what the exact next encounter will be, without usually designing the encounter in a way which requires a specific response from the players. I will then plan for the next encounter based on how the party reacted to the previous one, but design the following encounter in a way that is congruent with the behavior and plots of the enemies. This style is preferable because it gives the players the ability to meaningful impact the world, but still presents them with a clear path to follow so unnecessary time isn't spent dilly dallying on what to do next.

Roleplay Focused: Please be aware that I tend to favor speaking in perhaps unnecessarily flowery and verbose language though, so expect some descriptions with great amounts of detail. I will expect any players to, at least to a minimal extent, try to replicate my flare for the dramatic to make the campaign more interesting, though your language does not need to be half as complex as mine to satisfy me. This naturally causes the adventure to lean more towards roleplaying than strict mechanics. The campaign should be somewhat more dark in tone than most other campaigns are, as is befit of its horror elements, but that doesn't mean I will not hesitate to make a good joke if I see the opportunity. In general though, I am not that skilled with humor, so don't expect a whole lot of it from me.

Above Average Difficulty: Although the difficulty of an adventure is really dependent on the player's performance and is thusly difficult to calculate, I would say that that this adventure should be above average in difficulty, but not by a great extent. If 50% is average difficulty (at Hoard of the Dragon Queen level), then this campaign will be something like 70% difficulty (closer to Tomb of Annihilation when outside the tomb). So of course you are going to need to consider your actions a little more precisely than in a regular campaign in order to survive, but you shouldn't need to be tapping everything with a 10 foot pole as if it was the Tomb of Horrors.

Slightly Above Average Maturity: Due to the descriptive content of this adventure and its elements of horror, violence may be somewhat more evocative in this adventure than it is in others. There isn't anything that I will mention which breaks forum rules though, nor anything which would be more provocative than any of the media sources I have mentioned in the genre section. It should be stated though that I am not exposed to as much violent media as most others who play D&D are though, nor am I as desensitized to violence, so I may present the pain of damaged enemies or their humanizing characteristics in a way that some may find unexpected and/or disturbing. In other words, the exact acts may not be more violent than a standard campaign, but the way I describe them and their harmful effects on life could shock some people. For categories other than violence (such as sex, cussing, and drug use), I will not necessarily shy away from them, but I seldom ever see a compelling reason to include them and I can't imagine them cropping up much in this adventure at all.

Spoiler: Campaign Setting
    Show
    Due to the fact that that this is a relatively short adventure which will all occur in the same small space, the campaign setting isn't majorly important. You will learn all the relevant details you need to know about the specific setting area throughout the story, but will start off with little information to maintain the air of mystique. For the sake of immersion though, the world which the adventure will take place in is a sort of expanded and slightly modified version of the Dreamlands, as described in the works of Lovecraft, especially in The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath. If you don't know much about the Dreamlands then it is fine, as the adventure will take place in such a small area anyway. To be honest, you can just adapt the lore for your character's race from any campaign setting you choose and it shouldn't be too contradictory of the Dreamlands.

To summarize though, the Dreamlands is an expansive and diverse alternate plane of existence which consists of many different locations mentioned in the works of Lovecraft. Although many of the creatures and gods which Lovecraft mentions in his horror stories also exist in the Dreamlands, they are more familiar to the humanoids of the Dreamlands and are thusly not quite as mind shatteringly unfathomable, even if they are still quite terrifying. The Great Old Ones rule over the Dreamlands and are worshipped there, but more out of fear than any sort of admiration. They seldom ever interfere with the daily affairs of people though, and just prefer to loom menacingly over them. A seperate class of deities known as the Other Gods, led by Azathoth, can be found dancing and pipping madly in the stars, but they are so feared by the people of the Dreamlands that any discussion of it is taboo.

There are four major regions to the Dreamlands: The Endless Desert of Leng, The Enchanted Woods of Sylwyth, The Depthless Seas of Oriab and The Lightless Vaults of Zihnn. Leng is entirely controlled by Nyarlathotep, otherwise known as the Black Pharaoh, and his fiendish servants. Sylwyth is very loosely monitored by Shub-Negrath, the Mother of Monsters, Yig, the Vigilant Serpent, and their fey court. The regions of Oriab are oversaw by Cthulhu, the Dreaming Priest, Bastatan, The Lord of Crabs, Bokrug, the Great Lizard of the Depths, Dagon, the Leviathan of the Deep, and Yog Sothoth, The Guardian of the Gate. The Lightless Vaults of Zihnn are largely lawless, with packs of bestial monsters and primitive humanoids creating the only types of societies.

A map of the Dreamlands can be found in the spoiler below. The expedition was first ordained in Celephais, and will pass almost every town on its way to Andahad. Once at Andahad, the voyage will continue South for about 5 weeks until crashing. A photograph of the ship which inspired The Tempest, Shackleton's Endurance, can also be found in spoilers below.

Spoiler: The Endurance
    Show

To open the image in a new tab follow: https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antar...ps/nimrod5.jpg

The crew of The Tempest consists of the following 28 members:
    - One Captain
    - One First Mate
    - One Second Mate
    - One Third Mate
    - One Navigation Expert
    - One Boatswain
    - One Quartermaster
    - One Cook
    - Two Healers
    - Four Maintenance Staff (Engineers, Shipwrights, Physicists, etc.)
    - Six Scholars
    - Eight Petty Sailors

Spoiler: Dreamlands Map
    Show
    To open the image in a new tab follow: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20171031162316

Spoiler: House Rules
    Show
    Although on occasion I may ignore some minor rules if a player requests it and I believe it shall improve the plot of the game (in other words, if it follows the Rule of Cool), in general I am hesitant to contradict the writing of the Player's Handbook and seldom ever do so except upon a player's request . Aside from these rare improvised rule breaches, you can expect the following house rules to be in place throughout the course of the campaign.

Side Initiative: Instead of using the standard initiative system, we shall be using the side initiative system exactly as it is described on page 270 of the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Waived Spellcasting Costs For this specific campaign, any costs related to casting, learning, preparing, or copying spells shall be ignored. All of the previously stated activities can effectively be performed at no monetary cost.

Reflavoring Equipment If you wish to use the statistics of a pre-existing weapon or set of armor to represent a piece of equipment that does not exist in the rulebook, or which you believe is badly represented, then feel free to do so. If this is a weapon then you may also change the damage type so that it better suits the desired weapon’s design. If you are including a re-named piece of equipment on your character sheet than put the name of the equipment that formed the basic statistics of your current weapon or armor in parentheses next to that piece of equipment. For example, if you wanted your character to wear a “gambeson” that uses the same statistics as studded leather than on your character sheet in the equipment section write "gambeson (studded leather)". Or if you wanted to wield a “scythe” that uses the statistics of a spear except that it does slashing damage than on your character sheet in the equipment section write "scythe (spear- slashing)".

Renaissance Era firearms do exist in this campaign, but they are in such an early stage of development that they are frustratingly fussy about what environmental conditions they will work in, are so inaccurate so as to be almost useless in most cases, excessively hard on the ears, and take an unbearable amount of time to reload. Because of this medieval weaponry is still much preferred, and firearms are largely only used when either (a) a large enough force can fire in a line against a clumped group of enemies, in which case accuracy is not necessary or (b) used as an emergency sidearm to fire at close-by enemies before melee weapons are pulled out. A select few of the NPCs present in the campaign may carry firearms with them. If you wish to have your character use a firearm, then simply reflavor a ranged, thrown or (probably more realistically) reach weapon.

Portentous Nighmares: Each time your character takes a long rest or is otherwise unconscious for over an hour, they will receive a unique nightmare in which they imagine themselves getting killed by a creature on the island. There is a possibility that the creature detailed in this nightmare may appear in an actual encounter in the game. If your character witnesses the creature from one of their nightmares, then they must roll a d6, and are subjected to one of the effects listed below which corresponds to the number they rolled.

Spoiler: Effects of Nightmares
    Show
    1, Terror: You are stricken with an overpowering fear that unless you flee from the situation with as much speed as possible that you will die. You must succeed on a DC 12 Charisma saving throw or become frightened for one minute, and while frightened in this way you must spend all of your turns trying to get as far away from the source of fear as possible. At the end of every turn you may remake the saving throw, ending the effects on a success. For as long the effect persists, you hear hallucinatory voices in your head corroborating your fears and urging you to run away.

2, Rage: You are suddenly overcome by a consuming and fiery hatred of the source of trauma which compels you to slaughter it at all costs. You must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or spend all of your turns for the next minute targeting the hated creature with harmful effects and be unable willingly move more than 150 ft. away from it. At the end of every turn you may remake the saving throw, ending the effects on a success. Any effect which ends the Charmed condition also resolves this effect. If the hated creature dies, then you must spend one more turn attacking its corpse, and then the effect ends. For as long as the effect persists, you can taste a hallucinatory substance upon your tongue which is reminiscent of a mixture of blood and digestive acid.

3, Shock: Your body and mind is suddenly so overwhelmed with such a pervasive panic that you freeze in place, rendered too horrified to act. You must succeed on a DC 11 Charisma saving throw or become frightened for one minute, and while frightened in this way you are stunned. At the end of every turn you may remake the saving throw, ending the effects on a success. For as long the effect persists, you can see vague and indistinct hallucinatory figures flitting ominously about in your peripheral vision.

4, Despair: A profound feeling of sorrow invades your mind, and strips you of all hope and spirit. You must succeed on a DC 13 Charisma saving throw or for the next minute suffer disadvantage on all ability checks, attack rolls and saving throw; and your speed is halved. At the end of every turn the character may remake the saving throw, ending the effects on a success. For as long the effect persists, you are under a delusion that you have already suffered a fatal wound, and experience tactile hallucinations that confirm this this belief in your mind.

5, Thrill: Despite the horrible horror you are in, you feel a bizarre and ghoulish delight in the bloodshed. You must succeed on a DC 11 Intelligence saving throw or go into a state of mania. While in this manic state, you have advantage on all ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, and your speed is doubled, but you also suffer from a severe cognitive impairment where you are unwillingly to consider the risk that the actions you perform may have on your health. This disruption of intelligence is not limitless: although you may behave recklessly in that you will perform actions which could bring you unnecessary harm, you will not behave in a way which you believe will most likely result in certain death. Any effect which removes the Charmed condition also resolves this effect. At the end of every turn you may remake the saving throw, ending the effects on a success. For as long as the effect persists, you experience an olfactory hallucination where you smell a fragrance of fresh flowers so potent that it is equally powerful to most other smells in combat.

6, Meekness:
    You feel as if you have lost control of yourself and the world around you and revert back to a childlike state where you depend on others to protect you. You must succeed on a DC 12 Charisma saving throw or be Charmed by the closest ally to you for one minute, and while Charmed in this way you must spend your turns trying to stay as close to that ally as possible. If you are already right next to your ally, the only actions you may take are ones that are purely made for defending yourself from danger. At the end of every turn the character may remake the saving throw, ending the effects on a success. For as long as the effect persists, your character is under the delusion that the ally is a trusted parental figure.

Spoiler: Character Creation Specifications
    Show
    Important Notes: For you to be enrolled in the campaign, you do not actually need to have a complete character sheet. So long as you give me a good description of your character and their personality, then it would be enough for you to get invited into the adventure where you can hash out specific details later. The more detailed your character's description is, the more likely you are to be enrolled. You may also submit multiple different characters for application if you would like, where I will decide which character you will play of those you presented upon enrollment.

Character Sheets: So long as I have access to and can read your character sheet than it does not matter to me too much what system you use to display it. I would prefer it if you wrote it on a digital character sheet which is identical to a physical one (such as a downloadable one found in this link from the WotC website), but it is not necessary to do so.

Allowed Content: Any official D&D 5th edition material published by Wizards of the Coast is allowed, except for content from Eberron or Planeshift series which are banned. There are no restrictions on multiclassing or feats. Homebrewed or Third Party Content content is only allowed if I, as the DM, and up to three other players approve of that content being used. Unearthed Arcana content is never allowed.

Starting Experience: Every character for this campaign will start out at level 7, regardless of the time they enter the story at. The adventure will end before the characters get a chance to level up.

Determining Ability Scores and Hit Points: Your character’s ability scores may be generated by using the standard array or customizing ability scores systems, but you cannot roll to determine your ability scores. Also, your character's hit point maximum should be calculated using average values, and rolling for their hit point maximum is not allowed.

Starting Equipment: Given how this campaign takes place on a remote island with inhabitants that are primarily hostile to your characters, the adventurers' money will be largely worthless and they will not be able to purchase any supplies on the island. Due to this fact, I will allow your character to start out with just as much money and nonmagical equipment as you want them to, free of cost. The only limitation to the amount of nonmagical equipment your character can carry is that they must be able to reasonably carry all of their equipment either on their person or within a single haversack. This photograph should give you a frame of reference for how large of a backpack your character should have.

So in other words, you can make your character a prince(ss) brimming with money for all I care, but once you get to the island all that cash is going to be about as useful as sling bullets and whatever they can't carry in their haversack is sinking with the ship.

In addition to that nonmagical equipment, your character may start out with exactly one Uncommon or Common magic item of their choice from either the Dungeon Master's Guide or Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Backstory: I like to know the backstories of characters so that I may get a better idea of your character's personality, but I also understand that due to the short nature of this campaign, it's probably not going to effect the plot much. This means that your character's backstory can be as long as you want it to, or even nonexistent if you don't have that planned out yet. But please keep in mind that I will be using backstory as one of many factors in deciding which players are actually enrolled in the campaign, so having a decently descriptive character backstory would increase your chances of getting enrolled. The only limit I will put on backstory length is that it must take up less than 10 pages if it were to be type in a standard google document in a 12 point font.

Alignment: For the sake of this campaign, traditional alignments will simply be completely ignored. Any effect which references alignment will be modified accordingly to compensate for the lack of alignment. You may still record this information on your character sheet if you want to, but I am not really going to give it much consideration.

Spoiler: Posting Rules
    Show
    Post Formatting: State your character’s actions in normal text, write their exact words in their respective colored font and italicize any character thoughts.

Posting Rate: As a general rule, you should probably post in the IC or OOC thread at least once every 48 hours. I can usually only make one IC post per day, but I will view the OOC thread and respond to other OOC posts with greater frequency throughout the day. I understand though that there will be some times where you will not be able to or do not want to post at the proposed frequency, and I will be lenient under those conditions. I will not kick you out of the game for infrequent posting unless I am concerned that your lack of posting is somehow hindering the progress of the game.

Dice Rolls: I would prefer it if you all made your dice rolls in the designated dice roll thread for this campaign, but you may roll the dice in the same post that your corresponding action is made in if that is better for you. Other methods for rolling dice must be approved of by me, as the DM. Whenever you roll for an attack, please roll damage with it.

In combat, I will be posting a sort of statistics entry after every round which records the relevant defensive statistics of your enemies in combat, such as AC and saving throw bonuses. Because of this, when you force an enemy to make a saving throw, you are expected to roll the saving throw for that enemy using the bonuses from the statistics post. Similarly, whenever an enemy forces a character to make a saving throw, I will be rolling the save for them.

Reactions: Due to the slow nature of PbP games, reactions will be much harder to conduct. Combatants are allowed to state that they would have made a reaction so long as said combatant has not made another turn since the action which triggered the reaction occurred. Whenever someone makes a reaction they are technically "re-writing" the past, which will cause a re-evaluation of the action's done by the combatant who is being reacted against. This will change the events to properly suit around the new circumstance, making the assumption that the combatant retro-actively did that reaction. Even if another creature took advantage of the circumstance (EG: if you were knocked prone by one enemy and a second enemy also attacked while you were prone) then their actions will be re-evaluated and changed as well. I am allowed to veto your reaction if it would prevent another person's previously stated actions from being possible (for example, if you made an opportunity attack against a monster and killed it but one of your allies targeted it with a spell before you stated your reaction, than i could veto it because that would force your ally's actions to become entirely invalid)

Spoiler: Miscellaneous Questions
    Show
    This section will provide answers to a variety of different questions which you may want to ask, but which are not general or important enough to be provided in the overview I have provided. It is not expected that you read through this tab, as most of the information here is irrelevant to most people. I am deriving these questions from this thread, "Which Questions Would You Ask A Prospective DM".

How many encounters and short rests do you include in an adventuring day?
    On average, I would say that I include about four encounters per long rest , commonly at hard difficulty, with a chance for one short rest throughout. One of those encounters may be either (a) Medium if it is more there to set the theme than anything else or (b) deadly if I the encounter is especially important to the plot and narratively satisfying. There is a decently high (maybe 25%ish?) possibility that an adventuring day has no short rests, but it would be very unlikely for me to include two or more short rests. I highly doubt I will include more than five or less than three encounters per day though, and I never really use easy encounters. This model is similar to what I have seen in the published modules of Tomb of Annihilation, Lost Mines of Phandelvar, and Water Deep: Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

As a DM, how many Player Characters have you had died in your campaigns? Similarly, has a party you have DMed for ever experienced a Total Party Kill?
    I have only DMed two campaigns so far, one lasting from levels 5-15, and the other lasting from levels 1-4. In neither of these campaigns have I actually managed to design a situation where a Player Character has died. Although I have created encounters which brought characters close to death between 5-10 times now, said characters were always able to rebound. This isn't necessarily for a lack of trying though; some adventuring days have been filled with encounters which I hoped would lead to the death of at least one character, but did not end up that way. Regardless, the tactical intelligence and resources of my previous players has always been enough for them to wriggle out of near death experiences.

How do you handle stealth and hiding?
    A character may choose to take the hide action under any circumstance where either (a) your character has not yet been detected by any enemy or (b) an enemy would be unable to tell the exact location of your character if they where looking directly at their position. So it is possible for a character to hide even when the enemy knows that they are present so long as said enemies cannot pinpoint the exact location of the character. As soon as a character takes the hide action, they will make a relevant check to determine the effectiveness of their stealth, which is almost always a Dexterity (Stealth) check. Whenever said character either (a) comes sufficiently close for them to either hear or smell that character, with that distance being dependent on the creature's senses or (b) steps through a location where the creature could reasonably see them, the result of the stealth check is contested against the creature's passive Wisdom (Perception). If the check passes the character goes unnoticed, but if the check fails then the character is spotted by that creature. A creature may also make an active Intelligence (Investigation) check on their turn to find the location of a character they believe to be hiding, but they will seldom do this in combat because it wastes an action.

Surprise occurs whenever combat begins and one combat party cannot identify the locations of over half of the other party. This may create an odd situation where it possible for surprise to be triggered, even when one or two members of the party initiating surprise are clearly visible. Still, this seems like the best solution to me.

How effective are illusions?
    In general, I usually have enemies react to an illusion the same way that would if they were unaware it was an illusion. This means that unless the enemy is intelligent enough and has a good reason to believe that your character is casting an illusion (for example, if said enemy has heard from one of their allies that your character casted an illusion on another ally), they are probably not going to try to roll to disbelieve it.

How effective are enchantments?
    This largely depends on the specific provisions of the spell that is being cast, but in general an enchantment spell can only get the target to perform an action they would reasonably do if asked by a good friend. So in other words, when granting a command to a charmed target, think about what said character would be willing to do if a good friend asked them to do it. So unless the exact command conflicts with another one of their principles in a major way, then they are probably going to go through with it. The command though has to violate the principle in a significant enough way though, to the extent which they would be immensely unlikely to perform that action unless charmed. It should be fairly easy to tell what would greatly defy a target's principles in most cases, but it could definitely surprise you in some situations.

How will you handle character death?
    If a Player Character dies during the adventure, then the player may choose to play another character and insert them into the campaign. Said character will arrive into the storyline whenever and however their player wants them too, so long as they arrive sometime after the encounter they died in has ended. The introduction of a new character will be described as another person stranded on the island coming in to aid the party. I would be especially amused if the new character you decided to introduce was an NPC that was already present in the campaign.

How long have you been playing Dungeons and Dragons for?
    I started playing D&D somewhere in 2014, starting off with 5th edition. To give a better frame of time, I distinctly remember the DM of my session 0 excitedly discussing the fact that her preordered Dungeon Master's Guide was being delivered soon from that point. So far I have completely played through exactly three campaigns: Lost Mines of Phendelvar, Tomb of Annihilation, and Water Deep Dragon Heist. I have also DMed a total of three campaigns, each of which are homebrewed: one lasted for two years before reaching natural completion, one lasted two years before ending prematurely due to loss of interest, and another lasted only a month or two before ending prematurely due to player inattendance (one day, without warning, no one decided to come to the table, and that was the end of it).

How many homebrew monsters do you include in your adventures?
    I have to admit, I have homebrewed extensively and often times do like to include my content in campaigns. But I also understand the appeal of using a monster with iconic features that would be relatable to other tables as a story. So I would say that half the enemies in this campaign will be homebrewed, and the other half will be monsters that where slightly modified from other official sources. I always homebrew my monsters according to the guidelines in the Dungeon Master's Guide, but I may intentionally raise, or much commonly, lower their statistics if I believe it gives a monster an unreasonable CR. I find that many official monsters are lacking in interesting powers though, so I shall often tack extra features onto official monsters which lack them. These alterations don't technically modify CR much, but they do give the monster a tactical advantage which may increase its difficulty in other ways. Even though these advantages may put characters on the ropes though, I have yet to design an encounter with monsters modified in such a way that they are challenging enough to kill a character.

How tolerant are you of metagaming?
    The answer to this question honestly depends on your definition of what qualifies as metagaming. From my understanding, I have a far more narrow definition than most other people do. If you as a player factor your knowledge of game mechanics into your character's actions, then I would not say it is metagaming, because your character could reasonably know these things as members of that universe. Also, your character kind of needs to know that sort of thing if you are to actually play them properly, even if it is slightly unrealistic. What I do not like much though is if you have your character use your player knowledge of a monster's statistics in cases where your character couldn't reasonably know them. I as a DM who has read many different monster statblocks can easily understand how you would fall into the trap of doing this, but even if you do know it, please just try to restrain yourself from actually acting on it in to obvious of a manner. I will not punish you for performing this kind of metagaming, but I feel as if it does reduce the enjoyment of the game when you do this.

How do you handle intraparty conflict?
    I do not like to make absolute guarantees on this sort of thing, but to be honest there will be very few occasions in which I will even allow a party member to attack, restrain, or steal from another party member (or any of their pets or allies) on purpose. If a player performs such an action then I will probably just veto it and make them revise it. I suppose if the victim of the conflict agrees to being attacked then I might consider allowing it, but even most times then I will just "nip the problem in the bud" before it gets any further. So I will not explicitly state that intraparty conflict is never permitted, but there is very little chance that it will occur.

An exception to this rule is made under circumstances in which a party member is dominated or otherwise charmed and then commanded to harm another party member. I mention this because it is probably going to come up in this adventure.

How thoroughly have you read the Dungeon Master's Guide?
    Back in 2014 when I first started 5e I am fairly certain that I read the DMG front to cover, but of course much of the information there has slipped my mind. I will always consult it when designing a new adventure to make sure I flesh out all the relevant details, but by this point I am largely able to do that without its assistance. I of course also consult it with much more frequency whenever I am designing encounters, for obvious reasons, but these are targeting specific small sections.

If a character fails all of their death saving throws, what is the likelihood that they will stay dead?
    I never like to make promises which I am not absolutely sure I can keep, but there is an abysmal chance that a character who mechanically dies will somehow survive by fiat. I suppose I may allow it under some very special and rare circumstances, but it would have to be a hell of circumstance for me to allow that. I can't currently imagine a situation which would cause me to do this though.

Spoiler: Current Players and Characters
    Show

BC56, playing as Second Mate Roland Nauta

Seanfall, playing as the Maintenance Staff Worker Valafar X

Zergrinch, playing as the Scholar Zuu Greenbrook

AtlasTrembles playing as Fid Watcher
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-10-18 at 05:08 PM.
    5e Monster Features Index

My D&D 5e homebrew

The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle Out of Character

Hello everybody, and welcome to the Haunted Isle Not Yet Otherwise Named. Before we actually start the In Character adventure, I will give you all until July 3, 11:00 some unspecified time within the next days to to refine the mechanical details off your character and build their sheet. Once you have completed all your notes on your character, please post a link to them so I may amend it into the Original Post for easier reference. I would also like you all to start discussing some other roleplaying based traits of your character with the other players, to possibly look into if you all could find some ways to modify your character's backstory to link with other characters backstories, or just otherwise discuss how your characters may view each other.

In a similar vein to this, before we begin the campaign, I would like you to detail a notable experience your character had with the character listed directly below them on the following list. In this case, when I say "notable experience", I am referring to any interaction your character had with the other that would have been meaningful in some way to them. A story about the two of them, if you will. I would expect this interaction to have occured on the boat, but it doesn't have to if you don't want it to. What constitutes that is meant to be as interpreted as broadly as possible. The description of this event should only take up one to five sentences.

Roland Nauta,
    Ulysses Lombax,
    Madeiline Sonderholme,
    Valafar,
    Elbalar Beiwarin,
    Zuu Greenbrook,
    Roland Nauta

Finally, I would like you to list what rank your character in the hierarchy of The Tempest. The role you choose for your character should be taken from the list below, and every role except for Captain or First Mate are open. This should inform me about some of the skills your character has, and may end up being relevant later in the campaign if your character has to do anything related to the activities of that role.

The crew of The Tempest consists of the following 28 members:
    - One Captain
    - One First Mate
    - One Second Mate
    - One Third Mate
    - One Navigation Expert
    - One Boatswain
    - One Quartermaster
    - One Cook
    - Two Healers
    - Four Maintenance Staff (Engineers, Shipwrights, Physicists, etc.)
    - Six Scholars
    - Eight Petty Sailors
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-07-02 at 08:17 PM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey there! Really excited to be a part of this. I was wondering, if possible, we could look into a discord group in order to make rapid communication easier?

Especially since we'll be swapping ideas, it seems.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Hey there! Really excited to be a part of this. I was wondering, if possible, we could look into a discord group in order to make rapid communication easier?

Especially since we'll be swapping ideas, it seems.
    Sure, why not, here is a link to a discord channel I just made for the adventure. I seldom ever use the system, and don't think I will be able to respond to it with any greater speed than I would on GitP, but if it is preferable for you all.

It is by no means necessary for you all to join the discord server if you don't wish to, all the important information will be over GitP. I will not exactly be horribly active on it either.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-06-29 at 08:32 PM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Glad to be here! I'm also down for a discord.

Here's Ulysses Lomax, who speaks "like so".

Gonna have to work on that story, but I'm thinking cook or petty sailor for role. Leaning petty sailor tbh.

Looking forward to seeing what experiences we work up, Hatter and bc56!
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's Roland

"Orange" seems like a good color.

And I'd like to take Second Mate, as an experienced sailor 41 years before the mast.

(I think that's how my numbers work out. Started sailing at 15, currently 56.)
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"Taking the red again."

Valafar has training a smith...Mmm...I'd put him in the Maintenence staff.

Valafar: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1940435

Background and description
    Spoiler
    Show

Background
    Spoiler
    Show

"Leng is...Leng is hard to describe to someone who has never lived there." A red-skinned hand lifted a flagon of mead to the speaker's lips and drained the liquor. "I can't say it's the hell people seem to think it is. Slavery as you understand it is also not entirely the case."

"So you're free men?"

"No...we aren't held in chains around our ankles or necks. We aren't whipped in fields, but we aren't free. The chains are around our spirits and minds more than anything." A tail twitches from his side, the red-skinned and horned man gestures for another flagon. "It's hard to even get some of my people to understand that they are slaves. Some of us hold positions over many others, while still being 'enslaved'."

"How did you get free?"

"Freedom can be bought or earned. I earned it, mostly through accident." Another flagon arrives and the man downs half in one gulp. "Recnam..Recnum..that country that doesn't exist anymore? That's where it happened. I was part of the forces Nyarlathotep sent to combat the Aboleth. I wasn't a soldier, mind you. I was a smith, repairing broken weapons, armor, keeping mounts shoed. That kind of stuff." The man gestures vaguely, "Anyways, I'm just doing my thing patching up broken gear for some high up muckity muck. He's throwing a fit cause his shield strap doesn't fit or something. When BAM!" The man slaps the counter, "The Abolteh's forces burst into our encampment, one of those tentacle-faced Moonbeasts leading the charge. Now the guy berating me for not fixing his strap fast enough tries to rally a defense he rushes in and gets cut down. His sword goes flying lands near me. Now this sword was odd, it's blade was some glossy black metal I'd never seen before. Almost obsidian, but that stone is too brittle to make a sword." The man downs the rest of his flagon, and gestures for another.

"What does the sword have to do with anything?"

"It has everything to do with it," The man narrows his eyes, his tail curling again. "All around me, people are screaming, dying, fighting. I panic, the only thing I got on me is a hammer so I see that sword laying nearby and I grab it. And...something...spoke to me, something from beyond. It made an offer if I agreed to serve it would grant me the power I needed to survive. Not just that day but everyday, power of my own. I agreed, and I could feel the strength it had given me. The fight itself was a blur, I just remember blood and death and fire, He pauses eyes glossy as if lost in a memory. "When I finally regained my senses, I was standing on top of a dead moonbeast. The ground was slick with blood and I was covered in gore. I was treated like a hero for slaying the beast, for saving so many. I found a god that day, in the ringing of steel and the clash of armies. I kept fighting throughout the war growing stronger. When it was finally done I was granted my freedom.

"So you left?"

"I wasn't the same person anymore," The man sighs, "I'm not free either, that voice from the other side? It has its own agenda. One I have to carry out,"

Underneath the table, the man loads a hand crossbow. "Is that why you're here?"

"....Yes." The red-skinned man snaps his fingers, the candles snuffed out, a woman screams. And the sounds of a short scuffle fill the air. When a torch is lit. The horned man stands over his drinking companion, who lies on the ground in pieces. Blood splattered across the floorboards, "Thanks for the drinks." Valafar dropped a few coins on the bar as he left the building, he could hear his patron speak to him again. Felt it pulling him in a new direction. "Alright, alright...what the hell is a boat?"

Description
    Spoiler
    Show

Valafar is a fairly typical member of his race. Tall, red-skinned, a pair of large ram-like horns that sweep back from his head. His right eye is the same blue he was born with, piercing out from the red that surrounds it. Since forming his pact, however, his left eye has changed. As a mark of his pact, it has become nearly pitch black outlined in with a golden color, not unlike some birds. He has a handsome enough face despite or perhaps because of his infernal heritage, with a pointed chin and small goatee that seems incapable of being a full beard no matter how long he goes without shaving. Valafar keeps his hair trimmed short so it won't get caught in his armor.

Valafar prefers function over style in his clothes. If it doesn't serve a purpose it's not needed and will just get in the way. His clothes are hard wearing, comfortable and made to last. The only thing that could be considered extravagant that he owns is the mithril plate he wears into combat. It's rather showy due to its nature but that can't really be helped. So long as it keeps him from dying it's doing its job, shiny or no.

Personality
    Spoiler
    Show

Valafar is a rather taciturn fellow, though he posses a dry wit. Unless you give him alcohol, then he starts talking...a lot. Perhaps due to his own upbringing and lack of a cultured education he tries for the simplest solution to a problem and avoids complicated plans and schemes. He's direct in his dealings with others and isn't fond of duplicitous actions. This leads to him being rather forward with people and blunt at times, he says what he thinks if pressed and isn't good a sugar coating or softening his speech for others.

He tends to be accidentally sarcastic, commenting or saying something that seems obvious to him but is taken as sarcasm by others. He chalks this up to his upbringing in Leng. Or that most other races just joke a lot more than his people did.

As far as his relationship with his Patron goes, it's a fairly amicable one so far. He's mostly been directed towards removing certain 'foul' people in the world. Drug dealers, slave traders, etc. His patron mostly lets him do as he pleases, thus far anyway. Valafar is personally uncomfortable with being called a hero for his actions, he doesn't see how just surviving that attack was heroic. But it seemed to give people hope, so who is he to correct them?

Last edited by Seanfall; 2019-06-27 at 10:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmith View Post
    Glad to be here! I'm also down for a discord.

Here's Ulysses Lomax, who speaks "like so".

Gonna have to work on that story, but I'm thinking cook or petty sailor for role. Leaning petty sailor tbh.

Looking forward to seeing what experiences we work up, Hatter and bc56!
    The backstory you presented was rather vague on what precisely happened at the moment when Ulysses "lost his shadow". Could you describe to me in some more detail what exactly happened there? Usually I am not too picky on backstory, but this particular piece I may actually be able to weave into the plot. If you would like me to, I could actually invent and write the details of the ritual for you so that it makes the most sense with the plot, as I already have some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    "Taking the red again."

Valafar has training a smith...Mmm...I'd put him in the Maintenence staff.

Valafar: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1940435
    What is Valafar's last name, assuming that he even has one, which may not be the case if he was born into slavery. Also, can I get a more thorough description of how the HexBlade behaves? I want to be able to have the patron play some role in the campaign, and I would need to know more to do that. If you would like me to, I could come up with your patron and their behavior for you, as I already have some ideas.

My D&D 5e homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post

What is Valafar's last name, assuming that he even has one, which may not be the case if he was born into slavery. Also, can I get a more thorough description of how the Hexblade behaves? I want to be able to have the patron play some role in the campaign, and I would need to know more to do that. If you would like me to, I could come up with your patron and their behavior for you, as I already have some ideas.
    He has no last name.

As far as the Patron goes, I left it vague mostly on purpose. In the book, the Hexblade is described as an entity from the Shadowfell related to the Raven Queen. I know that's not how it goes in this setting but I was thinking his patron would still be somewhat Corvid in nature. Hence the eye. Rather his patron is benign or not remains to be seen. Valafar has been made to cut down certain types of people thus far, mostly drug dealers or slave traders. He's also been guided to people who needed help. How that plays out is up to you. Thus far he hasn't had to do anything that tested his morals, but that's how it starts, isn't it? A few tasks that don't make you think to hard and soon you don't even think to question if what you have to do is the right thing anymore. If that's his Patron's plan or not is another question.

TLDR: Had some things thought out left the rest Vague as a story or plot hook.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The backstory you presented was rather vague on what precisely happened at the moment when Ulysses "lost his shadow". Could you describe to me in some more detail what exactly happened there? Usually I am not too picky on backstory, but this particular piece I may actually be able to weave into the plot. If you would like me to, I could actually invent and write the details of the ritual for you so that it makes the most sense with the plot, as I already have some ideas.
    I'm fine with you coming up with the details!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

He has no last name.

As far as the Patron goes, I left it vague mostly on purpose. In the book, the Hexblade is described as an entity from the Shadowfell related to the Raven Queen. I know that's not how it goes in this setting but I was thinking his patron would still be somewhat Corvid in nature. Hence the eye. Rather his patron is benign or not remains to be seen. Valafar has been made to cut down certain types of people thus far, mostly drug dealers or slave traders. He's also been guided to people who needed help. How that plays out is up to you. Thus far he hasn't had to do anything that tested his morals, but that's how it starts, isn't it? A few tasks that don't make you think to hard and soon you don't even think to question if what you have to do is the right thing anymore. If that's his Patron's plan or not is another question.

TLDR: Had some things thought out left the rest Vague as a story or plot hook.
    How exactly Valafar's patron instructs him to do perform these actions is more of what I am looking for. Is it explicitly state in Common what he needs to do, or does Valafar have to guess the meaning from indistinct mumbling or telepathically transmitted thoughts with no language? Does Valafar know anything about his patron, or is he essentially completely in the dark about the whereabouts of the Blade? How frequently does he communicate with his patron, and how much time does the patron take to discuss the details of its commands? Can Valafar initiate a conversation with the Blade, or otherwise speak back to it, or is the communication completely one sided in favor of the patron?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmith View Post
    I'm fine with you coming up with the details!
    I will write up the details for it then in a way that merges well with the story, but I am not actually going to tell you it. This is because Ulysses actually has partial amnesia of the event when his shadow broke free, and remembers very few of the details. He sometimes has blurry nightmares or flashbacks of seeing some kind of emerald fire under a cauldron or seeing the stars in the night sky transform into menacing yellow eyes, but other than that his memory is blank. We will see the significance of that later in the story.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-06-28 at 09:00 AM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I will write up the details for it then in a way that merges well with the story, but I am not actually going to tell you it. This is because Ulysses actually has partial amnesia of the event when his shadow broke free, and remembers very few of the details. He sometimes has blurry nightmares or flashbacks of seeing some kind of emerald fire under a cauldron or seeing the stars in the night sky transform into menacing yellow eyes, but other than that his memory is blank. We will see the significance of that later in the story.
    Sounds perfect. That's a big part of him having his shadow ripped away in my opinion - he doesn't remember as clearly what he was like before the event, (or the event itself) and sometimes wonders if he changed radically personality wise because of it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

How exactly Valafar's patron instructs him to do perform these actions is more of what I am looking for. Is it explicitly state in Common what he needs to do, or does Valafar have to guess the meaning from indistinct mumbling or telepathically transmitted thoughts with no language? Does Valafar know anything about his patron, or is he essentially completely in the dark about the whereabouts of the Blade? How frequently does he communicate with his patron, and how much time does the patron take to discuss the details of its commands? Can Valafar initiate a conversation with the Blade, or otherwise speak back to it, or is the communication completely one sided in favor of the patron?
    Oh the Patron sends him images along with a cawing that Valafar has to puzzle out. No he doesn’t know much about his Patron, after that initial fight the glossy black sword was lost. He tries to commune with his Patron regularly, it answers but always in riddles and never directly unless the need is truly dire. Keeping to the whole corvid thing contacting it usually requires Valafar to give up something shiny. Doesn’t have to be expensive just shiny.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Do you all need any help coming up with a notable experience? I was intending to have those due by July 3, keep in mind. Your characters have been on the boat for close to six months, so there should be ample time for the characters to have interacted. I suppose that you could just work on making those stories when the campaign is actually occurring though, as it is not too urgent.

Also, TheMadHatter, I am still unaware of what Sonderholme’s role was in the boat’s hierarchy.

Oh the Patron sends him images along with a cawing that Valafar has to puzzle out. No he doesn’t know much about his Patron, after that initial fight the glossy black sword was lost. He tries to commune with his Patron regularly, it answers but always in riddles and never directly unless the need is truly dire. Keeping to the whole corvid thing contacting it usually requires Valafar to give up something shiny. Doesn’t have to be expensive just shiny.
    Interesting ideas. Could you please add that information somewhere on your character sheet so that I can refer back to it?

My D&D 5e homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Currently constructing Zuu Greenbrook's character sheet. He would normally say it's nice to meet you, but he doesn't really trust anyone 😁

Zuu shall be speaking in " green".

He's had significant discussions with Valafar, the other warlock on the ship. Zuu doesn't really have a stellar relationship with his fiend patron, who constantly keeps him on edge by cackling in this mind. So he's quite interested in how others like him relate to their patrons.

I don't really see Zuu as someone with any nautical experience. Sure, he smuggled things for a living, but left all that sailing stuff to the professionals. He would probably be joining as a scholar -- Zuu has proficiency in arcana thanks to researching a ton on how to rid himself of that meddlesome fiend voice in his head.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-06-29 at 08:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey there! Madeleine will be speaking in "sea green." She'll have also mostly kept to herself.

--

Despite coming from a highly nautical family, her sheltered upbringing means that she's failed to actually learn many of the basic sailing skills. As such, she'll have joined the vessel as a scholar, if anything, though she's hardly the exceptional scholar, either. Likely, some gold was spent to ensure her position on the ship despite her lack of qualification.

For her story, I figured maybe Valafar could have taught her how to tie basic sailor's knots at some point, since she's certainly curious, just not particularly talented.

--

A repost of her sheet and such can be found here.

Spoiler: Madeleine Sonderholme
    Show

--

Spoiler: Appearance:
    Show
    Slender and pale, with gaunt and sunken features, the raven-haired woman stares ahead with hauntingly deep, almond-shaped eyes of a shade of blue as dark as the sea. Though a small, nervous smile featuring tidy rows of bright white teeth can be seen upon her attractive face, small stress marks and subtle twitches suggest innermost anxieties carefully hidden. The eccentric woman maintains a posture all but impeccable, although a tendency to lean slightly to the left has caused her form to appear somewhat crooked upon closer inspection. Her unhealthily pale skin is smooth and unblemished, however, many late nights spent without suitable rest have caused dark circles to manifest around the woman's eyes, which are often slightly obscured by her messily styled hair.

The mysterious woman's frail form, while slightly boyish, is still curvaceous enough to attract oft-unwanted attention, much to her disdain. However, those who take care in observing the questionable dimensions of her frame are often slightly disturbed due to the unnerving subtleties of her bizarre, slightly mismatched anatomy. To these more attentive of individuals, something about her felt wrong, even alien. Limbs, too angular, too smooth; fingers, long and eerily thin; eyes, vacant and watery, though further anatomical details are difficult to make out given her tendency towards layered articles of clothing.

She can be seen clad in a drab, slightly crooked ankle-length coat, its thick gray fabric accentuated by strange, leathery protrusions seemingly sewn onto the material. Various belts and buckles fasten the coat to her form, the sleeves pulled back to reveal lacy cuffs worn over tight black gloves, the tips of which appear sharpened to a point. Beneath the coat, a dark gray vest lined with silver buttons and leather straps has been pulled tight, accentuating her slightly inverted front. A black cravat decorated with a bow can be seen worn around the collar of the white dress shirt worn below her vest, its centerpiece an unsettling eye crafted of ivory and onyx.

A large belt decorated with complicated silver designs and dull rows of faded onyx gemstones is worn at an angle around her waist, a small sheathe for a jewel-encrusted knife worn at the side of her angular hip. Pale gray trousers fade away into tall, knee-high leather boots, the fronts decorated with unusual metallic carvings depicting the malevolent, tentacled features of some sort of aquatic figure. In one hand, a dark staff set with onyx bands is held, its tip carved into the shape of the very same figure depicted elsewhere on her person. In the other, a sword can often be seen, plain in every way apart from the eye carved into its silver hilt.

Spoiler: Personality:
    Show
    Madeleine's personality is wholly dominated by her anxieties and traumas, every quirk a direct or indirect result of mental illness exacerbated by her unwilling infantilization at the hands of her father, the long-term affects of her eldritch affliction, and by the realization that the world is far harsher, and stranger, than she could ever have imagined. As a side-effect of her extraordinary anxiety, Madeleine is reclusive and prone to irrational phobias, oftentimes preferring to spend hours alone, poring over fairy tales and poetry books in an attempt to distract her from the reality of her cursed existence. Frequent use of potent opiates in order to numb and quiet the worst of her demons has left her somewhat vacant, with a tendency to lose focus for minutes at a time. Furthermore, she often displays symptoms suggestive of a number of obsessive disorders, and as such, most tend to perceive her as a particularly strange, compulsive, and antisocial perfectionist.

As an individual whose first love was purely literary, Madeleine is knowledgeable on a plethora of topics, with a passion for learning, as well as for stories. She values organization, tidiness, and cleanliness, as disorderly surroundings tend to worsen her anxiety. Madeleine possesses a penchant for symmetry and a high attention to detail, traits which most people believe make her a capable and reliable individual. However, a tendency towards strange, alien thoughts and nonsensical ravings means that her reliability is ever in fluctuation.

Spoiler: Backstory/Character Sheet:
    Show

Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 2019-06-29 at 10:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So we have at least three warlocks. Huh, better have a spellcaster who knows Rope Trick or have Leomund's Tiny Hut as a ritual.

On the other hand it would be fun to do an Eldritch Blast volley...
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-06-30 at 12:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    So we have at least three warlocks. Huh, better have a spellcaster who knows Rope Trick or have Leomund's Tiny Hut as a ritual.

On the other hand it would be fun to do an Eldritch Blast volley...
    I think all of us get at least 2-3 blasts at this point right?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Two each. And if everyone has repelling blast, we might be able to push things off cliffs this game 😁
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Catnap could also be really potent

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Added to his sheet.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, threw warlocks lol. This is gonna be fun. If anyone wants to discuss character interactions, just ask! I'm around.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Here's Zuu's character sheet.

http://upload.jetsam.org/documents/Z...ck%202019).pdf

I do have one question before it is complete. Zuu is a tomelock with the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation. The invocation reads:

You can now inscribe magical rituals in your Book of Shadows. Choose two 1st-*level spells that have the ritual tag from any class’s spell list (the two needn’t be from the same list). The spells appear in the book and don’t count against the number of spells you know. With your Book of Shadows in hand, you can cast the chosen spells as rituals. You can’t cast the spells except as rituals, unless you’ve learned them by some other means. You can also cast a warlock spell you know as a ritual if it has the ritual tag.

On your adventures, you can add other ritual spells to your Book of Shadows. When you find such a spell, you can add it to the book if the spell’s level is equal to or less than half your warlock level (rounded up) and if you can spare the time to transcribe the spell. For each level of the spell, the transcription process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp for the rare inks needed to inscribe it.

My question to the DM is: as a level 7 character (and considering that this invocation unlocks at level 3), how many rituals would you allow me to scribe in his book?
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-07-01 at 09:55 PM.
    Now Playing

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

You know when I played Zaddion as a tomelock I never thought to ask that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

But... the tomelock is the best ritual caster in the game :)
    Now Playing

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It appears that Shub-Niggurath has vanished on us, so I will be getting into contact with the next up on the waiting list. It appears that the date at which the adventure begins at then shall be postponed. You can expect the IC aspects of the adventure to begin sometime later this week, but I would like our sixth player to join before then. Please be patient for a few days as the next person up prepares their character, and please continue to ponder the notable experience they had.

Also, I forgot to mention that I was planning on using Roll20 to use for battle maps over this adventure. I wasn't going to actually try to have us meet over that format, I just wanted to use it for its maps. Does anybody have any objections to me using this program? If so, I can always use Google Sheets to serve the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Here's Zuu's character sheet.

http://upload.jetsam.org/documents/Z...ck%202019).pdf

I do have one question before it is complete. Zuu is a tomelock with the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation. The invocation reads:

You can now inscribe magical rituals in your Book of Shadows. Choose two 1st-*level spells that have the ritual tag from any class’s spell list (the two needn’t be from the same list). The spells appear in the book and don’t count against the number of spells you know. With your Book of Shadows in hand, you can cast the chosen spells as rituals. You can’t cast the spells except as rituals, unless you’ve learned them by some other means. You can also cast a warlock spell you know as a ritual if it has the ritual tag.

On your adventures, you can add other ritual spells to your Book of Shadows. When you find such a spell, you can add it to the book if the spell’s level is equal to or less than half your warlock level (rounded up) and if you can spare the time to transcribe the spell. For each level of the spell, the transcription process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp for the rare inks needed to inscribe it.

My question to the DM is: as a level 7 character (and considering that this invocation unlocks at level 3), how many rituals would you allow me to scribe in his book?
    Let's say that your character would have learned a new ritual every level that he got, so Greenbrook's Book of Shadows would have a total of six spells in it, four of which he learned after level 3.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-07-02 at 08:24 PM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Roll20 is fine with me.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah roll20 is fine.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Yo Seanfall, you should get on the discord too. If you can.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Context for my comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac
    Hello SandMote. Recently you had signed up for a PbP adventure I was hosting over GitP titled "The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle". You did not get originally enrolled in the campaign though, and where placed on the waiting list. Somewhat unsurprisingly though, one of the people who where enrolled apparently vanished at the last minute and has failed to communicate anything to the group. Thusly, you are now allowed to join the campaign. We have not yet begun the IC aspects of the adventure, I was just giving the players time to finalize their characters and talk about some roleplaying aspects.

Please follow this link to the OOC thread if you wish to join, and announce your presence. The only posts you must read from the OOC thread are my second post in the thread and my most recent post, released at 21:15 on July 2.
    Apologies for the delay, but if whomever hasn't shown up is still missing I'd still like to apply.

I wouldn't mind having Elbalar Beiwarin be the boatswain. Formally trading out the Moon Touched Rapier for one enchanted with Continual Flame.

I'd also like to recommend some slightly more concrete firearms. Ammunition, range (10/20), heavy, two-handed, and a loading time of 1 minute? That generally sums up to one big boom per combat (although you may notice I haven't specified the size of the boom). Edit: I'd like to note this is to create a niche between carrying a regular ranged, thrown, or reach weapon and having the long reload time.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2019-07-03 at 09:44 PM.
    Extended Signature, Woo!

Latest Homebrew: The Silencing Blade & the Professor Explorer, a nutty artificer.