The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle Out of Character

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Apologies for the delay, but if whomever hasn't shown up is still missing I'd still like to apply.

I wouldn't mind having Elbalar Beiwarin be the boatswain. Formally trading out the Moon Touched Rapier for one enchanted with Continual Flame.

I'd also like to recommend some slightly more concrete firearms. Ammunition, range (10/20), heavy, two-handed, and a loading time of 1 minute? That generally sums up to one big boom per combat (although you may notice I haven't specified the size of the boom). Edit: I'd like to note this is to create a niche between carrying a regular ranged, thrown, or reach weapon and having the long reload time.
    The original person still has not yet contacted me, so you are clear to join the campaign. Welcome aboard.

Could I please hear some more about this Dark Book that is so central to your character? What exactly is it about, and who was it written by? How, when and where did the character get a hold of it? Why does he believe himself to be the only person capable of hiding it? What does he plan to do with this book, except for keep it hidden away? Who is looking for it, and why would they be interested in it? Why did he decide to sail on the close quarters of The Tempest to do so? I find that that there is a lot I could do with this Book that relates to the story, but I need to know more about it.

The loading time should probably be closer to half a minute than a full minute from what I understand, but really that wouldn’t make too big of a difference anyway because it would still be too slow to reload mid combat. And you may homebrew a Weapon like that if you wish. I would say that the damage for the weapon you outlined above should probably be... I would say somewhere around 2d10 damage, without the modifier added to damage. I can be persuaded to raise the amount though if you make a good enough case for it.

Now that SandMote is here, the IC campaign should be all set to begin. Sometime after July 5, 7:00 am EST I will start the IC adventure. I would like you all to still consider what your character’s notable experience would be, even if this is after the campaign starts. I find that it greatly increases party cohesion. Until then, goodbye and goodnight.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-07-03 at 10:44 PM.
    5e Monster Features Index

My D&D 5e homebrew

The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The In Character adventure has begun. You may now have your characters act as you would expect them to in this situation. The IC post I just made is exceptionally longer than almost all of my others will be, but I decided that the start of the adventure needed the extra attention. If you have any questions about what is going on, please ask me.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-07-05 at 10:50 AM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Is there even anything we can do other than grab our **** and brace?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    Is there even anything we can do other than grab our **** and brace?
    Depends on how much creativity or spells your character has. There is a variety of things which can be done to put oneself in a batter position once the ship crashes. If your character has any spells which help them reduce damage or otherwise be able to reach the shore, they can cast those. Otherwise, your character may need to think a little more creativity with their resources and do actions such as tying themselves to the mast (kind of a seatbelt idea here, to keep yourself from launching off the ship), fastening softer materials around them (such as hammocks or blankets) to serve as cushions, or chugging a flask of rum to numb the inevitable pain of wooden splinters and sharp rocks coming into their body.

Really, I didn’t expect the characters to do much before the ship crashes, but I did want to give people time to pull off anything clever if they had it in mind.

My D&D 5e homebrew

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Could I please hear some more about this Dark Book that is so central to your character? What exactly is it about, and who was it written by? How, when and where did the character get a hold of it? Why does he believe himself to be the only person capable of hiding it? What does he plan to do with this book, except for keep it hidden away? Who is looking for it, and why would they be interested in it? Why did he decide to sail on the close quarters of The Tempest to do so? I find that that there is a lot I could do with this Book that relates to the story, but I need to know more about it.
    I'm not particularly familiar with the setting, but I suppose the book contains some sort of information on tipping the balance of power between certain outer gods/ great old ones. Perhaps allowing one to absorb another? Otherwise something related to the story, but I'm unclear what would work without giving story points away.

I'd say he stole the book from a cult, after they had killed the author(s) and tried to use it. He doesn't consider himself the only one capable of hiding it, but doesn't trust anyone else. As sailing was the quickest escape, he took it up as a new profession, and eventually transferred ships to The Tempest (after someone on his last ship tried to take the book from him).

Or he's just mad, and is refusing to return a dusty old tome containing nothing of any importance to a library.

The loading time should probably be closer to half a minute than a full minute from what I understand, but really that wouldn’t make too big of a difference anyway because it would still be too slow to reload mid combat. And you may homebrew a Weapon like that if you wish. I would say that the damage for the weapon you outlined above should probably be... I would say somewhere around 2d10 damage, without the modifier added to damage. I can be persuaded to raise the amount though if you make a good enough case for it.
    I'm not sure that's mechanically sound, as it averages out to .5 more damage than a d10 weapon fired with a +5 bonus. But I'm interested in trying this.

Forgot to mention it, having Elbalar speak in Saddle Brown feels appropriate.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2019-07-05 at 10:56 PM.
    Extended Signature, Woo!

Latest Homebrew: The Silencing Blade & the Professor Explorer, a nutty artificer.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm not particularly familiar with the setting, but I suppose the book contains some sort of information on tipping the balance of power between certain outer gods/ great old ones. Perhaps allowing one to absorb another? Otherwise something related to the story, but I'm unclear what would work without giving story points away.

I'd say he stole the book from a cult, after they had killed the author(s) and tried to use it. He doesn't consider himself the only one capable of hiding it, but doesn't trust anyone else. As sailing was the quickest escape, he took it up as a new profession, and eventually transferred ships to The Tempest (after someone on his last ship tried to take the book from him).

Or he's just mad, and is refusing to return a dusty old tome containing nothing of any importance to a library.
    I think I already have a good idea as to what that book might be. Before I speak more about it though, I do believe I have some other questions relating to it. Can Beiwarin actually read the book, or is it in some language unintelligible to him? Assuming that he can read it, has he actually tried reading it at all? Given that Beiwarin suspects this to be an occult book, it certainly would not have been unreasonable for him to refuse to read it for fear of what it might it hold, and only know its title? But then again, he may have read it anyway, because if he didn't than he would have no idea what type of people would be out for the book (unless somebody told him such details, of course.

I'm not sure that's mechanically sound, as it averages out to .5 more damage than a d10 weapon fired with a +5 bonus. But I'm interested in trying this.
    Well, given how I stated that a modifier would not be added to damage, the gun would have to deal a decent amount of damage to compensate for this. Also, given that the use of the weapon is to be used once as a big damage dealer at the start of a fight, it would have to have high enough damage to incentivize its use. I am afraid that if we made the damage any lower, it would be defeating the purpose, because then a two handed and heavy weapon would be dealing more damage anyway.

My D&D 5e homebrew

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

How compelling is Nauta's command? Charisma (Intimidation) check, DC 13, but with advantage because he is already in a position to lead as Second Mate.
    (2d20)[2][14](16) vs 13

How compelling is Valafar's command? Charisma (Intimidation) check, DC 13.
    (1d20+7)[25] vs 13

Can Beiwarin resist the force of the wind? Strength Saving Throw, DC 14.
    (1d20+2)[13] vs 14

My D&D 5e homebrew

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Cardiff (1d20)[12] vs Sonderholme (1d20+2)[21] Initiative

My D&D 5e homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39

I think I already have a good idea as to what that book might be. Before I speak more about it though, I do believe I have some other questions relating to it. Can Beiwarin actually read the book, or is it in some language unintelligible to him? Assuming that he can read it, has he actually tried reading it at all? Given that Beiwarin suspects this to be an occult book, it certainly would not have been unreasonable for him to refuse to read it for fear of what it might it hold, and only know its title? But then again, he may have read it anyway, because if he didn't than he would have no idea what type of people would be out for the book (unless somebody told him such details, of course.
    I feel like he initially saw a group trying to use the book and couldn't read it at the time read it. I think that would explain why he is so nervous about letting anyone know about it: he doesn't know exactly who would be interested in using the book.

Presumably he's tried to make sense of the writing since then, but have no strong feelings as to whether or not he's succeeded. I figure he's more likely to have read the book than avoid it out of fear.

Well, given how I stated that a modifier would not be added to damage, the gun would have to deal a decent amount of damage to compensate for this. Also, given that the use of the weapon is to be used once as a big damage dealer at the start of a fight, it would have to have high enough damage to incentivize its use. I am afraid that if we made the damage any lower, it would be defeating the purpose, because then a two handed and heavy weapon would be dealing more damage anyway.
    Based on your reply, I seem to have been unclear. The weapon as you described is barely more powerful than a heavy crossbow, which makes me wonder about how useful the firearm is with such poor range. Although I suppose we'll see.
    Extended Signature, Woo!

Latest Homebrew: The Silencing Blade & the Professor Explorer, a nutty artificer.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I feel like he initially saw a group trying to use the book and couldn't read it at the time read it. I think that would explain why he is so nervous about letting anyone know about it: he doesn't know exactly who would be interested in using the book.

Presumably he's tried to make sense of the writing since then, but have no strong feelings as to whether or not he's succeeded. I figure he's more likely to have read the book than avoid it out of fear.

Based on your reply, I seem to have been unclear. The weapon as you described is barely more powerful than a heavy crossbow, which makes me wonder about how useful the firearm is with such poor range. Although I suppose we'll see.
    Alrighty then, I think I have a fairly good idea now of what this Dark Book is. This book is written in Abyssal, and called The Book of Azathoth, which details how to communicate with Azathoth and the Other Gods. The content of it are quite terrifying and eldritch, but you already knew that Azathoth and the Other Gods existed so it doesn't cause you to lose your sanity like it would for a person on Earth. Beiwarin stole it when a murderous cult was in the process of finishing some ritual that involved the book. He doesn't know what the ritual was about, because he fled from the scene before he could find out.

The musket I designed is only barely more powerful than a crossbow if the person using the heavy crossbow has a high Dexterity Modifier. I specifically designed it so that a person who would already be great at archery would find more benefit from using a bow than a gun, as would be expected for the time period this campaign is roughly in. A person who wouldn't be skilled at archery (AKA, had low dexterity) though could use the gun to great advantage though. It's intentionally more useful for the people in the latter group than the former group.

After Beiwarin finishes doing whatever crazy plan he has cooked up, we will be moving on to the shipwreck escape. Unless it was or will be explicitly stated that your character was where helping with the boats, then it shall be assumed that your character doesn't get on one when the ship crashes.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-07-10 at 01:07 PM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41

Alrighty then, I think I have a fairly good idea now of what this Dark Book is. This book is written in Abyssal, and called The Book of Azathoth, which details how to communicate with Azathoth and the Other Gods. The content of it are quite terrifying and eldritch, but you already knew that Azathoth and the Other Gods existed so it doesn't cause you to lose your sanity like it would for a person on Earth. Beiwarin stole it when a murderous cult was in the process of finishing some ritual that involved the book. He doesn't know what the ritual was about, because he fled from the scene before he could find out.

The musket I designed is only barely more powerful than a crossbow if the person using the heavy crossbow has a high Dexterity Modifier. I specifically designed it so that a person who would already be great at archery would find more benefit from using a bow than a gun, as would be expected for the time period this campaign is roughly in. A person who wouldn't be skilled at archery (AKA, had low dexterity) though could use the gun to great advantage though. It's intentionally more useful for the people in the latter group than the former group.
    I'll keep that background in mind, and that's a fair point about the firearm.
    After Beiwarin finishes doing whatever crazy plan he has cooked up, we will be moving on to the shipwreck escape. Unless it was or will be explicitly stated that your character was where helping with the boats, then it shall be assumed that your character doesn't get on one when the ship crashes.
    He's going to only get drop on a boat at the last second, casting feather fall to try to guide anyone scrambling off the Tempest onto the smaller craft.
    Extended Signature, Woo!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

How much damage do Lomax and Sonderholme take from being unprotected in the shattering ship?

(2d8)[7] damage, half with successful DEX Save

Sonderholme's DEX Save (1d20+2)[14] vs 11

Lomax's DEX Save (1d20+7)[25] vs 11

My D&D 5e homebrew

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The current encounter was heavily inspired by a scene from the novel Robinson Crusoe (which was probably the second greatest inspiration for this adventure), where the main character is in almost the exact same situation as your characters are, but with less magic.

My D&D 5e homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Anybody got the gust cantrip? Or the Repelling Blast invocation?

And the opposite, which is Thorn Whip and the Grasp of Hadar Invocation?

Cause I have this crazy idea of pushing someone who then pulls me or someone else 😁

The only useful thing I have in my spell repertoire is Repelling Blast, and possibly Guidance. Everything else is combat oriented. The only useful thing in my items is probably the ten foot pole since I don't think a fishing tackle is strong enough to reel someone in :p
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-07-12 at 11:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, since Ulysses is making a dex save he takes no damage upon success, being a rogue. Evasion is a nice feature.

I think he's just gonna book it to the shore and then start looking for ways to help.
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2019-07-12 at 01:27 PM.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmith View Post
    Oh, since Ulysses is making a dex save he takes no damage upon success, being a rogue. Evasion is a nice feature.

I think he's just gonna book it to the shore and then start looking for ways to help.
    The effects of Evasion have been retroactively included and the damage has been reversed.

Ulysses can't rely on just dashing towards the shore though. Initiative is currently on, the area is difficult terrain, and at the end of every round he will be pushed 20 feet back by the tide. Since he can only dash once, as according to the rules stated, he will not be able to outpace the tide in the long run and will eventually lose the encounter. The only characters that could reliably just dash towards the shore on every turn and succeed in reaching the shore are those who have CON modifier of +3 or higher, which Ulysses does not. I can explain the math for you if you need me to.

My D&D 5e homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

As a rogue, he can dash twice a turn - I was sorta hoping that would be enough to tip him past in one quick boost. If not, I'll start thinking on another method.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmith View Post
    As a rogue, he can dash twice a turn - I was sorta hoping that would be enough to tip him past in one quick boost. If not, I'll start thinking on another method.
    It is still difficult terrain, so dashing twice on the same turn would bring him to the tile directly in front of shoreline, but he is still one square away from getting there. So dashing only twice wouldn't be sufficient for him to get there. Besides that, Lomax couldn't dash twice on the same turn anyway, because his CON modifier is only a +1. Some other method would be required.

My D&D 5e homebrew

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah, I forgot he ink has +1 con. Alright, I'll think about it more.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The round will end on July 15, EST, after 8:00 am. Any character who hasn't taken an action by then I will just have walk forward at normal pace and take no action. Usually when initiative is on I start a new round every 48 hours, but due to the complex nature of this particular encounter I will give you all more time.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-07-13 at 03:02 PM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Just got home from work I’ll work out a reply shortly.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

12 hours until the round ends, ye’d all best act now before it is too late.

My D&D 5e homebrew

23. - Top - End - #53

Sorry, I've been getting an IRL game off the ground. I'll go ahead and say Elbalar is weighing his options for the round (considering the 12 hours are up).
    Extended Signature, Woo!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You all know that you can move your characters in Roll20, right? I don't mind moving them for you, but it would be helpful if you all could do that. If for whatever reason this isn't possible, please alert me.

And moving on, Piranha Shark (1d20+4)[21] vs Valafar (AC 18). (1d8+2)[7] damage on success.

This poor animal with -5 intelligence has no idea how much it will regret that decision.

Sorry, I've been getting an IRL game off the ground. I'll go ahead and say Elbalar is weighing his options for the round (considering the 12 hours are up).
    Thank you for offering an explanation. I understand that sometimes things are busy. Your absence this time didn't particularly cause a problem, given how this was not a combat encounter. So long as your lack of posting doesn't consistently prove to be a problem, and it has by no means gotten anywhere close to that point, then you don't need to worry.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-07-16 at 09:18 AM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I messed up the to-hit rolls in the IC. Rolling here.

Beam 1: (d20+8)[16]
    Beam 2: (d20+8)[9]
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I forgot to roll my Athletics. (1d20)[3]

Edit :crud
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2019-07-17 at 12:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Lomax Versus the Whale

(1d20+7)[26] vs 15

My D&D 5e homebrew

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Hey from roughly afternoon Sunday till Afternoon Tuesday I'll be out of town. I'll have my Ipad with me so I should be able to respond but just in case I get really busy I wanted you all to know I didn't just disappear.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    Hey from roughly afternoon Sunday till Afternoon Tuesday I'll be out of town. I'll have my Ipad with me so I should be able to respond but just in case I get really busy I wanted you all to know I didn't just disappear.
    I will make sure to remember that. To get as precise a time range possible though, what time zone are you in? I am in the Eastern Standard Time Zone, and I plan almost everything according to that.

My D&D 5e homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Sandmote, Ulysses (gm is calling him by last name, Lomax) threw a rope to shore, if you want to just grab that rather than attempt to throw one to him.