The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle Out of Character

Questions:

Is the previous 22 insight check enough to tell whether or not Crynirad seems to have been one of pirates?

Is "Cohdwiggoehd" coming from close enough for Elbalar to hear? (1d20+4)[5] if relevant.

Edit: I assume a natural 1 answers the second question.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2019-08-23 at 01:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Questions:

Is the previous 22 insight check enough to tell whether or not Crynirad seems to have been one of pirates?

Is "Cohdwiggoehd" coming from close enough for Elbalar to hear? [roll0] if relevant.

Edit: I assume a natural 1 answers the second question.
    Crynirad does seem to know more about these pirates than an outside observer would expect. But he also did mention how he was a slave on board their ship, so it is reasonable that he would know the amount of information that he has given you so far. The fact that he quite clearly stated that the pirates where privateers hired by Leng though, and then offhandedly and frantically mentioned that he just guessed it despite apparently knowing quite a bit about the subject, reeks of being a lie though. And your character would also know that pirate ships often get more units on their side through impressment, and someone being forced into service like that could easily be considered a form of slavery. Elbalar really couldn't say for sure that is the case though, because labor slaves are also often carried on board pirate ships, so it is far from impossible. There is certainly a distinct possibility that Crynirad is one of the pirates.

And Elbalar probably couldn't hear the murming of Cohdwiggoehd. The creatures aren't speaking very loudly, and the dense foliage easily blocks sound from going far. It is entirely plausible that nobody in the camp can hear what is going on until Valafar starts to raise a racket.
    5e Monster Features Index

My D&D 5e homebrew

The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Usually my posting rate is a little better than this, but sometimes events of low activity can drag on like this. I just want to make sure that everyone is allowed to do what they want to in such times and not go too fast for anyone. Hopefully in the future such interactions shouldn't be so tedious.

My D&D 5e homebrew

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

@Hypersmith and @TheMadHatter, are you all still there? A short response is all that I need to ensure you are present. I just want to know whether I need to start recruiting new people or not.

My D&D 5e homebrew

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

I hope they just busy, but at least you have a ready-made reason for new characters: Extra survivors who washed up on another part of the Island.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It appears that HyperSmith and TheMadHatter have bowed out on us. I will have to contact the next two people on the waiting list and see if they are willing to join. Sorry for that everybody, this sort of thing happens a great deal in the earlier stages of a PbP adventure.

__________________________________________________ ______

Heh, I randomly generated Crynirad's personality on the spot and somehow rolled for results in such a way that they created the kookiest character I have ever made. I am not entirely sure how I feel about him just yet, as he is more than a little juvenile and annoying. Regardless, the randomization has created a more distinct personality than all of my former NPCs, so I guess it's working out.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-08-27 at 02:59 PM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

7. - Top - End - #97

Planetar

Hey there,

Looks like the waiting list cleared up. Hey everyone, I've been invited to contribute a character for this game. I'm currently out of town without reliable internet access but I can get a PC together by the first week of September. What does the group need?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Hey there,

Looks like the waiting list cleared up. Hey everyone, I've been invited to contribute a character for this game. I'm currently out of town without reliable internet access but I can get a PC together by the first week of September. What does the group need?
    So far we have a kensei monk, a hexblade warlock, an eldritch knight fighter, and a fiend warlock. So it looks like we have the tank and arcanist roles covered. Something which fits more into a supporting (cleric/bard/druid) niche, or to a lesser extent, a more skirmishing (rogue/monk/ranger) niche would make sense then.

I already have a plausible explanation for how your character would join the party and why they would trust eachother already planned out. Your character was probably in the Tempest when it crashed, but got momentarily separated from the party. A few events have already happened in the plot, but those have all took place over a brief period of time; less than two hours has passed since the ship crashed and party began the adventure. The way this adventure is structured, the cycling of characters is easily facilitated by this explanation. If you would like to come up with another explanation though, then please feel free to.

My D&D 5e homebrew

9. - Top - End - #99

Planetar

I have a Bard character that would be ideal, I think. Fid Watcher, College of Lore Bard and explorer of the sundry realms and planes of existence. Historian and anthropologist, folktale gatherer and cartographer. I'll get a sheet together shortly.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's going to take quite a bit of time for Zuu to finish both of his spells and then observe the area through his flying creature; probably half an hour. Does anybody want to do anything before he is finished, or could I skip ahead in time a little bit?

My D&D 5e homebrew

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Iím good with Skipping ahead.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Unless any of you say that your character is going to do anything that should hold the party up any longer within the next 24 hours, then we will be moving on to the path to find this lone person. Sorry for the slow development there for such a long time everybody, hopefully resting periods like this will take much less time to finalize in the future.

My D&D 5e homebrew

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm ready to move on. Zuu will just initially perch his familiar his shoulder but eventually dismiss it due to discomfort with its form.
    Now Playing:

Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Same, Valafar is ready to move on.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm ready to move too.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #106

Planetar

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay. Here's Fid Watcher, Human (Variant) Bard of the College of Lore. Anthropologist and tale-collector extraordinaire, Fid finds himself on the doomed voyage in the first place because of his passion for exploration, adventure, and discovering new and forgotten cultures and peoples.

Link to sheet

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay. Here's Fid Watcher, Human (Variant) Bard of the College of Lore. Anthropologist and tale-collector extraordinaire, Fid finds himself on the doomed voyage in the first place because of his passion for exploration, adventure, and discovering new and forgotten cultures and peoples.

Link to sheet
    Hmm, Watcher's personality doesn't seem very well detailed, but so long as it gets better developed during actual play over time than it should be fine. I understand that perhaps you don't yet have a good idea as to how he would act yet because you haven't yet seen what he would have to deal with.

Now, would you like to just introduce your character in yourself, or would you like me to create the scenario in which Watcher meets the party? If you choose the the former option, then you can have Watcher join them whenever you would like to. Seeing as how he was also on the HMS Tempest for the voyage, the party would already be familiar with him: possibly much more than they would want to, given the close quarters condition of the half-a-year voyage. If you want me to introduce the character, then I will make sure not to wait too long for that. This campaign was baked in with a good excuse as to why new characters would come.

So, do you have any questions you would like to ask before your character is inserted? I should be able to give you anything you need to know.

Ok, so now a plot explanation is in order I suppose. You haven't really missed much, given that in campaign time the on screen adventure hasn't lasted much longer than three hours. You may read through the whole IC thread if you would like to, but the summary I am about to give you is all you need to know. It is not necessary for you to read all of the the links, I just put them there for convenience.

The campaign began when a storm which formed with supernatural speed and power (and possibly intelligence as well) wracked the ship. The storm's winds miraculously blew the ship directly towards the island, causing it to break on the rocks near the shore. The party had to desperately escape the ruins of the ship and run towards the shore, all the while the very environment itself tried to keep them from getting there. Eventually, the party managed to push past the tide pulling them into the ocean and the oddly hostile animals and reached the rocky shores.

Immediately upon making it to land, the party was attacked by a squadron of five fishmen warriors. Their leader was a fishlike humanoid as well, but it was the size of a gorilla and seemed to hold psionic powers. The fishmens' attack was not very successful, as their attempt at surprise failed and then Zuu dropped a fireball on all of them. Three of them, including the leader died, but the other two ran away and survived.

This fight attracted the attention of some creepy flying humanoids with talons and without facial features, who swooped down on the party. These creatures are called "Night-Gaunts", and legends abound of them carrying away weakened or vulnerable sailors on ships and bringing them to places unknown. These night-gaunts tried to drag some of the party away, but where killed before they could accomplish this goal.

After the fight, a tiefling named Crynirad came up to the party and warned them that killing a few of the night-gaunts would attract an insurmountable swarm of them. He offered to lead them to a safer position, and the rest of the party hesitantly followed him. Later during the next rest, the party would discover that Crynirad escaped from a pirate ship that crashed on the island and has only been on the island for a few days.

Exhausted by the recent events, the party decided to gather some resources and then rest. While trying to recieve water, Valafar came across a a small person made from moss and twigs and carrying a severed human arm. Soon, a dozen other plant people came out of hiding. Valafar tried to avoid a fight and scare them off using Prestidigitation, but this only caused them to crowd around him and chant the word "Cohdwhiggoehd", then scour the area looking for something. A single one of the plant people could speak common, and after a brief talk where Valafar confirmed that he was not this "Cohdwiggoehd" character, the plant people left.

By this point, the party realizes that they where the only people whom they saw survive the wreck (they do not know that Finch reached the island alive). Two of the adventurers whom the party sent to gather out water never came back, but the party cannot find them or their corpses (this is an IC explanation for two players leaving the game). Seeing that they know so little of the area, Zuu sent out his familiar to scout out some locations on the island. Nothing else remarkable happened during the break.

The party then decided to start their investigation by finding a lone person close by whom Zuu's scout managed to identify. Crynirad claims that they saw this person before but couldn't understand their language. After reaching the person's location, they find that he is a half-elf, who for some unknown reason cannot seem to speak in anything but an unintelligible language:

That is the encounter we are currently on right now. It is probably best that you read every post made after post #136 to get a good context of the current encounter. The most recent post when I sent this message was post #141, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming for you to read that much.

My D&D 5e homebrew

18. - Top - End - #108

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Hmm, Watcher's personality doesn't seem very well detailed, but so long as it gets better developed during actual play over time than it should be fine. I understand that perhaps you don't yet have a good idea as to how he would act yet because you haven't yet seen what he would have to deal with.

Now, would you like to just introduce your character in yourself, or would you like me to create the scenario in which Watcher meets the party? If you choose the the former option, then you can have Watcher join them whenever you would like to. Seeing as how he was also on the HMS Tempest for the voyage, the party would already be familiar with him: possibly much more than they would want to, given the close quarters condition of the half-a-year voyage. If you want me to introduce the character, then I will make sure not to wait too long for that. This campaign was baked in with a good excuse as to why new characters would come.

So, do you have any questions you would like to ask before your character is inserted? I should be able to give you anything you need to know.
    I can try to develop more of his personality in written form if you want. I perused the character creation guide at the beginning of the OOC Thread and I remember there being something along the lines of it can be long or short, considering the one-shot nature of the campaign.

I'm thinking Fid was raised in Sylwyth among the elves, so it's given him a patience and moral/ethical distance from events and emotion atypical for a human. He's still expressive, just relatively apolitical and amoral. That aspect of his personality makes him an especially good anthropologist and diplomat because he's generally a good sport and fairly nonjudgemental. His elvish upbringing also makes him a bit of an aesthete, but not in a prissy or precious kind of way. His travels and taste for art means he's always ready with an amusing anecdote or obscure aphorism from some small nomadic community that is just right for the occasion.

On the flip side, his curiosity and lack of moral foundation makes him a little unreliable, unpredictable, and prone to risktaking. He's a think later, do first kind of person. This makes it hard for others to trust him, an instinct reinforced by his lack of filter. He often talks when he should shut up. His tasteful fashion sense and naturally handsome, but not too handsome looks makes him visually appealing, but the absence of commitments or calling sets off warning bells for most people interested in romantic pursuits.

Fid was on the HMS Tempest for the same reason he's usually on a ship, he had never been to its destination! He had booked passage with the captain, whom he is/was a passing acquaintance of; they played cards against each other in some other port years ago, had gotten uproariously drunk, and then Fid had puked on their boots.

Hope that gives you a better sense of the kind of person Fid is. As for how the introduction should go, I leave that in your capable narrative hands. I will roll with however I am dumped into the middle of the scene. I'm sure it hasn't been a pleasant three hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Ok, so now a plot explanation is in order I suppose...That is the encounter we are currently on right now. It is probably best that you read every post made after post #136 to get a good context of the current encounter. The most recent post when I sent this message was post #141, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming for you to read that much.
    Sounds good, I'm all caught up! Drop me in when you're ready! :D

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I can try to develop more of his personality in written form if you want. I perused the character creation guide at the beginning of the OOC Thread and I remember there being something along the lines of it can be long or short, considering the one-shot nature of the campaign.

I'm thinking Fid was raised in Sylwyth among the elves, so it's given him a patience and moral/ethical distance from events and emotion atypical for a human. He's still expressive, just relatively apolitical and amoral. That aspect of his personality makes him an especially good anthropologist and diplomat because he's generally a good sport and fairly nonjudgemental. His elvish upbringing also makes him a bit of an aesthete, but not in a prissy or precious kind of way. His travels and taste for art means he's always ready with an amusing anecdote or obscure aphorism from some small nomadic community that is just right for the occasion.

On the flip side, his curiosity and lack of moral foundation makes him a little unreliable, unpredictable, and prone to risktaking. He's a think later, do first kind of person. This makes it hard for others to trust him, an instinct reinforced by his lack of filter. He often talks when he should shut up. His tasteful fashion sense and naturally handsome, but not too handsome looks makes him visually appealing, but the absence of commitments or calling sets off warning bells for most people interested in romantic pursuits.

Fid was on the HMS Tempest for the same reason he's usually on a ship, he had never been to its destination! He had booked passage with the captain, whom he is/was a passing acquaintance of; they played cards against each other in some other port years ago, had gotten uproariously drunk, and then Fid had puked on their boots.
    Thank you very much, that description is even more than I would have asked for. I feel as if I get a much better idea of how Fid behaves. Also, while it is true that this adventure will not last very long, I felt that it would last long enough that a character's personality could easily have opportunity to show itself. The one which I said could be as long or as short as people wanted was character backstory, not personality, as the former would be unlikely to have much effect on the story.

Hope that gives you a better sense of the kind of person Fid is. As for how the introduction should go, I leave that in your capable narrative hands. I will roll with however I am dumped into the middle of the scene. I'm sure it hasn't been a pleasant three hours...

Sounds good, I'm all caught up! Drop me in when you're ready! :D
    Alright, I will try to introduce Fid Watcher to the game soon enough. It is probably not going to be this encounter, but I should find a way to incorporate him into the story depending on whatever the party does next.

My D&D 5e homebrew

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I am sorry for the slowness of posting recently, I have been busy. My posting rate should be normalized by this time tomorrow.

My D&D 5e homebrew

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

@ Zergrinch. If you are interested in mimicking elvish language again in the future, I would advise using Nahuatl rather than French. Although I haven't completely fleshed out the elves in this setting yet, they are more based off of the Aztec Empire rather than the Gaulish tribes.

My D&D 5e homebrew

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Alas, such language is not available in Google Translate. So I have the following convention (I've really only given a lot of thought to Elvish, Dwarvish, and Infernal):

STANDARD LANGUAGES

1. Common --> Standard English
    2. Dwarvish --> German (Because Dwarves and Germans are great engineers)
    3. Draconic --> Latin
    4. Elvish --> French (Because Elves are elegant)
    5. Giant --> Polish
    6. Goblin --> Romanian
    7. Gnoll --> Spanish
    8. Gnomish --> Portuguese
    9. Halfling --> Dutch
    10. Orc ---> Russian

EXOTIC LANGUAGES

1. Abyssal --> Arabic
    2. Aquan -->Thai
    3. Auran --> Chinese
    4. Ignan --> Korean
    5. Terran --> Czech
    6. Celestial --> Esperanto
    7. Deep Speech --> Hindi
    8. Primordial --> Swahili
    9. Infernal --> Hebrew
    10. Undercommon --> Italian
    11. Sylvan --> Japanese
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-09-16 at 11:34 PM.
    Now Playing:

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Is everybody on board with Zuu's plan to find Horasiu's crew and continue from them? This would involve crossing the river infested with those weird animals, but it shouldn't be impossible. If your characters are for or against this plan, or have any alternatives, please have them say so. Horasiu doesn't seem to have much more to say on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Alas, such language is not available in Google Translate. So I have the following convention (I've really only given a lot of thought to Elvish, Dwarvish, and Infernal):

STANDARD LANGUAGES

1. Common --> Standard English
    2. Dwarvish --> German (Because Dwarves and Germans are great engineers)
    3. Draconic --> Latin
    4. Elvish --> French (Because Elves are elegant)
    5. Giant --> Polish
    6. Goblin --> Romanian
    7. Gnoll --> Spanish
    8. Gnomish --> Portuguese
    9. Halfling --> Dutch
    10. Orc ---> Russian

EXOTIC LANGUAGES

1. Abyssal --> Arabic
    2. Aquan -->Thai
    3. Auran --> Chinese
    4. Ignan --> Korean
    5. Terran --> Czech
    6. Celestial --> Esperanto
    7. Deep Speech --> Hindi
    8. Primordial --> Swahili
    9. Infernal --> Hebrew
    10. Undercommon --> Italian
    11. Sylvan --> Japanese
    I have only very infrequently tried to translate fantasy languages into real life ones, so this is not something that crosses my mind much. I don't really think the translations improve the mood enough to warrant taking the time to add them in rather than using a description. Not to mention that some of the fantasy languages just do not fit easily into the sphere of any real world language, especially the exotic ones. If that is what you prefer to do though, then it should not interfere with my understanding in any meaningful way.

My D&D 5e homebrew

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

By sometime tomorrow I will have all of your characters continue on their merry way towards the river, as that must be crossed to get to the ship Horasiu was on. Zuu's raven already spotted it along the beach, and it appears to have more people of its kind still living there. If any of you have anything you would like your characters to do before that point, you had best bring it up within 24 hours.

My D&D 5e homebrew

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Sorry for the hold up everybody, I must have gotten rusty on my map making skills and things are taking longer than they should. Either way, I should have a plot update by tomorrow. I am aware at how horrible I have been at keeping up at my own posting rate, but the circumstances for that should be over now. How many people are still present after that little inconvenient semi-hiatus of ours? I need to know how many characters are in the field to properly balance the next encounters.

My D&D 5e homebrew

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

I be here, matey.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You can't get rid of me and my paranoid warlock that easy.
    Now Playing:

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Burble. I'm here.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Senckreid veterans represent!
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-09-25 at 05:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Planetar

Still waiting Fid's intro if you want him involved! :D