The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 192
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar placed his hand on Ulysses's shoulder, "Gods of war, show mercy upon this soldier, his weapon be bloodied let his body be healed." A surge of healing magic coursed through the man and Valafar patted his shoulder. "That's all I can do for now." The warlock turned to address the concerns brought up by Greenbrook. "Parts of the ship will wash ashore, think it's safe to go back and see what we can scavenge? Otherwise, we're gonna have to rely on what we can find in this forest. There's probably a stream or something further in?"

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Casting Cure Wounds on Ulysses using a 3rd level spell slot. That's all mine for today, still got the few 1st level cleric slots though.

    (2d8+2)[13] <- That's what he heals.

    Also rolling survival to see what Valafar can figure out to do for water.

    (1d20+5)[24]


  2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Elbalar has been cutting the way through the underbrush with his sword. Ineffectually, considering the type of sword he's using. "He's wandering," he notes to Zuu. "Can we take a moment to recuperate and take stock of what we have? At the least it'd give time for any stragglers to clear out from the wreckage."

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Zuu Greenbrook takes stock of the situation, clearly out of his own element. He was well-versed with city living, and a survivalist he was not.

    Unfortunately, he does not appear to have much of a choice.

    "We need food, water, and then shelter. Where exactly are you taking us anyway? Do you even know where you are going?"
    Crynirad grits his teeth and rubs his hands together anxiously. "I was, uh, just, uh, trying to lead you away from the beach, where the, uh, things where... I, um, didn't have anything planned beyond that... you know."

    Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    Valafar placed his hand on Ulysses's shoulder, "Gods of war, show mercy upon this soldier, his weapon be bloodied let his body be healed." A surge of healing magic coursed through the man and Valafar patted his shoulder. "That's all I can do for now." The warlock turned to address the concerns brought up by Greenbrook. "Parts of the ship will wash ashore, think it's safe to go back and see what we can scavenge? Otherwise, we're gonna have to rely on what we can find in this forest. There's probably a stream or something further in?"

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Casting Cure Wounds on Ulysses using a 3rd level spell slot. That's all mine for today, still got the few 1st level cleric slots though.

    [roll0] <- That's what he heals.

    Also rolling survival to see what Valafar can figure out to do for water.

    [roll1]

    Crynirad sighs in despair, more than a little overdramatically so. "The remnants of your boat may wash on shore, but they will be stripped bare. Some beasts are dwelling around in those waters and scouring the ships for anything valuable they can find on board. They then hide them in some corner of the sea where you will never find them. If you have use for the planks or sails then feel free to look, but anything else will elude you."

    At the mention of a stream, he once again woefully sighs, and it has become quite clear that he is forcing these odd gestures to exaggerate his speech. "There is a river close by, actually. The small section of the island we are on is seperated from the rest of the island by a river. And some very strange things have gathered around the river. And by strange, I mean that they look like a bear crawled inside of an immense turtle's shell and pasted spines to their tail. And by the devils, they sound like nothing I have ever heard before! And somehow they are so numerous as to clog the river. You may go there if you like, but I would be reluctant to. The spined tails they have look wicked."

    ________________________________________________

    There are a variety of different things you all could do for water. Although the aforementioned river would seem like the best one to go with, if it is so close to the ocean than it is probably brackish, and the salt would make it inedible. But luckily you are in a rainforest, and they are aptly named. It has just rained, so you could surely find some water which has gathered in already existing pools on the ground or that has been captured in the numerous natural features around here. After collecting enough water in a single container, you should probably boil it so that the water is not contaminated; jungles are infamous for how insanitary their water is. Overall, getting water shouldn't be a major concern in this environment: doing that without getting spotted by those who hunt you, whether they be wild animals or servants of the forces against you, should be the hard part.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Elbalar has been cutting the way through the underbrush with his sword. Ineffectually, considering the type of sword he's using. "He's wandering," he notes to Zuu. "Can we take a moment to recuperate and take stock of what we have? At the least it'd give time for any stragglers to clear out from the wreckage."
    Crynirad seems to run pale at this idea. "We can wait for a little bit, sure, but not for too long. You all are not the only people stranded here. A crew of pirates have also landed on this island, and I am sure they will not hesitate to become bandits whenever it becomes convenient. Aside from that, some force from beyond clearly is seeking us out. And surely wild beasts are hunting us at this very moment. If we take too long to stop, something will without a doubt catch up to us!"

    For Zergrinch Only
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Zuu slaps his forehead with his hand. Kids these days.

    "Okay! Gather around me and lemme conjure up something that can act as shelter! After I'm done, you all look for water and food, so we can take a breather and plan our next moves!"

    And so, the warlock sits cross-legged on the forest ground, clutching in one hand a small bead he extracted from his component pouch, and in the other, his book of Secrets opened to a particular page. Focusing on the crystal bead, he reads the arcanic phrases in his book slowly. As ritual starts to take shape, a ten-foot dome springs into existence, taking the colors of the forest as a camouflage.

    Spoiler
    Show
    As a ritual, cast Leomund's Tiny Hut (11 minutes). Lasts for 8 hours.

    A 10-foot-radius immobile dome of force springs into existence around and above you and remains stationary for the duration. The spell ends if you leave its area.

    Nine creatures of Medium size or smaller can fit inside the dome with you. The spell fails if its area includes a larger creature or more than nine creatures. Creatures and objects within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely. All other creatures and objects are barred from passing through it. Spells and other magical effects can’t extend through the dome or be cast through it. The atmosphere inside the space is comfortable and dry, regardless of the weather outside.

    Until the spell ends, you can command the interior to become dimly lit or dark. The dome is opaque from the outside, of any color (taking the forest colors as a camouflage) you choose, but it is transparent from the inside.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-08-07 at 10:56 PM.
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Roland hunkers down under the dome. Something still seems off about the Tiefling helping them. "How did you get to this island, Crynirad?" The boy doesn't seem to have been here long, but then that means that he either came with the pirates or through another way.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Before entering the done, Elbalar stops to take a deep breath.

    Once inside, he sits down and takes stock of his possessions, repeatedly checking the large book inside his clothing is still there. Once sure of what he does and doesn't have, he turns his full attention to Crynirad.



    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Second Wind: (1d10+7)[14] self healing.

    Reading Crynirad: assuming insight for (1d20+4)[22]

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar takes a seat inside the dome, laying flat on his back and letting out a long sigh. "It looked like it just rained," Valafar said after a moment. "We can probably gather water from the area. We'll have to boil it or cleanse it with magic first though. But after that it should be drinkable, that said, be careful disease is common in forests like these."

    The warlock sat up took stock of his own possessions.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show


    If we're taking a short rest expending 2 HD to heal.

    (2d8+4)[14]


  8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Roland hunkers down under the dome. Something still seems off about the Tiefling helping them. "How did you get to this island, Crynirad?" The boy doesn't seem to have been here long, but then that means that he either came with the pirates or through another way.
    Crynirad seems to shiver fearfully upon hearing this, and his voice cracks. "I was a slave held in the aforementioned pirate ship, and managed to escape when their ship crashed. I have really only been here for about a day and a half now."

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Before entering the done, Elbalar stops to take a deep breath.

    Once inside, he sits down and takes stock of his possessions, repeatedly checking the large book inside his clothing is still there. Once sure of what he does and doesn't have, he turns his full attention to Crynirad.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Second Wind: [roll0] self healing.

    Reading Crynirad: assuming insight for [roll1]
    You don't detect any sign that he is lying, but the way he reacts to the questions and what he is saying indicates far more anxiety than he should be having. Crynirad evidently lacks the ability to hide his emotions well. You are convinced that he perhaps isn't giving you the full story.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Hypersmith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Pluto (EST)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    With a grateful nod after the healing, Ulysses listens carefully to the situation, his instinct returning to him in this situation. A subject, and missing answers. He turns to the new tiefling as he waits for the dome to complete. And you've just waited by the shore till now? Kind of you.""
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Immediately after the dome appeared once his ritual was complete, Zuu snaps a finger. With a flumph, his Raven familiar appears by his side.

    "Go, get the lay of the land, and be careful!" he instructs, before releasing it into the air.

    Zuu will be monitoring the Raven telepathically, and will see through its senses, for the duration of time it is within range of 100 feet.
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "I'll help gather water, for now, after a good sleep I should be able to ask the gods of war for a spell to create food and water. Unless their feeling fickle." The Warlock watches the man he healed speak to the other Tiefling. Truth be told he had little interest in the other member of his species, but still, it never hurt to ask. "Ask him if he knows about the war against the Aboleth, should be enlightening." With that Valafar stands up and heads back out to gather some water.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "I still have some here," Elbalar notes. Having been in charge of equipment on the vessel, he'd thoroughly kept up with his personal supplies, including his waterskin.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2019-08-11 at 05:30 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Roland will stay put for now, standing watch to see if any new threat appears to threaten their small party. At the same time, he still focuses on Crynirad. He's pretty much convinced there's more going on here than the Tiefling kid lets on. "What can you tell us about the pirates then, lad? Any information could be of use to us."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmith View Post
    With a grateful nod after the healing, Ulysses listens carefully to the situation, his instinct returning to him in this situation. A subject, and missing answers. He turns to the new tiefling as he waits for the dome to complete. And you've just waited by the shore till now? Kind of you.""
    "Hey, I will have you know, I haven't waited by the shore the whole time. I have been trying to explore the rest of this island to look for more resources. But so far I can't find anything because the river full of beasts is blocking my path to the rest of the island. All that is over here is some pirates, a weird guy tied to a tree who only speaks gibberish, and some really big lizards. Well, that and the plant people, but I am not really sure what their deal is."

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Immediately after the dome appeared once his ritual was complete, Zuu snaps a finger. With a flumph, his Raven familiar appears by his side.

    "Go, get the lay of the land, and be careful!" he instructs, before releasing it into the air.

    Zuu will be monitoring the Raven telepathically, and will see through its senses, for the duration of time it is within range of 100 feet.
    Some of the trees are very tall and still block your raven's vision, even when it is above the majority of them. Still, you can gather that you are on a wide peninsula, leading towards a larger mass of land. You can't quite see a river from your range, but you do see a break in the tree cover crossing the peninsula that would fit the position he has described. Other than that, you aren't able to see much else of interest. You suppose in some way that is good news.

    After a few minutes of survey, you begin to recognize that there are definetely things flying about in the trees. At first you just thought they where all jungle birds, but you come to realize that some of them may be something else. They appear to be something like hairless bats, with pointed beaks and crests: smaller versions of the monsters from your dream. One of them comes frighteningly close to your raven, but it just gives the raven a glare before continuing on its hunt for oversized insects. It is frightening to see these things, but seeing as how you are only seeing them by proxy and they are much too small to want to make a meal of you, you are able to keep from panicking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    "I'll help gather water, for now, after a good sleep I should be able to ask the gods of war for a spell to create food and water. Unless their feeling fickle." The Warlock watches the man he healed speak to the other Tiefling. Truth be told he had little interest in the other member of his species, but still, it never hurt to ask. "Ask him if he knows about the war against the Aboleth, should be enlightening." With that Valafar stands up and heads back out to gather some water.
    It doesn't take horribly long for you to find a decent source of fresh water. There is a relatively small trench on the side of a hill where all the rainwater runs off to and pools into an ankle deep pond a few yards wide. It is too small to house any fish, but frogs and insects have clearly found it to be a decent place to stay at. Luckily the water isn't mudyd enough to be unpotable, so as long as you boil it you should have enough for a while.

    As you are approaching the water though, you stop yourself. Something that you thought was just an oddly shaped tangle of weeds on the other side of the pond seems to be more than that. It takes your eyes a while to process the image, but you believe that you are seeing a humanoid figure made of intertwined vines covered in moss. It's about three to four feet tall, so about the height of a half-ling. In one hand it holds a crude spear (or perhaps something closer to a javelin or dart?) made from wood, and in the other it holds the severed arm of a humanoid. Its hands aren't shaped like a human's, instead being something much closer to a claw made of a myriad of thorns. At first you believe it may be some complex effigy and not an animate figure, but then it moves its featureless head (not unlike the night gaunts) towards you and stares, despite not having eyes.

    After a few moments it just continues staring blankly. It clearly has the ability to fight and kill, and the fact that it's holding a human arm indicates a willingness to kill or at least scavenge humans, but so far it has made no move to attack you. You don't really have any good idea about what actions you do may make it hostile, nor do you know how skilled of a fighter it is. It hasn't made any violent gesture yet though, so that is something.

    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Roland will stay put for now, standing watch to see if any new threat appears to threaten their small party. At the same time, he still focuses on Crynirad. He's pretty much convinced there's more going on here than the Tiefling kid lets on. "What can you tell us about the pirates then, lad? Any information could be of use to us."
    Aside from the fact that some of the bugs here are as big as your first, you don't spy anything that harmful while you watch. You soon come to the same realization that Zuu's raven did though: some of those flying "birds" you see are actually winged lizards. They don't seem to be interested in approaching the party though, and are shying away from your site.

    Crynirad stutters out filler words for nearly half a minute before responding. "Well, they aren't technically pirates, they are privateers hired by Leng. Some tieflings from the Black Pharoah's empire hired them to attack trading vessels around the isle of Oriab... Wait, i um, uhh, you know, assume so at least. Some of these things you can just tell."

    "Oh wait, you probably wanted to know more logistical information. Well, there is like slightly over half a dozen of them that survived the wreck of their ship. They where not able to get the equipment of their ship either, due to the squid things making off with them, so they only had what they where carrying on them, which given how they are pirates, they are so paranoid that they are almost always armed. Pistols probably don't work though since they got wet, so the swords and knives will be more of a concern though. A couple are fire mages are with them though, so you have got to look out for them."
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar sighed, he wasn't interested in a fight with this creature plus where there was one there was probably more. Though it was holding a severed arm, it wasn't dripping in blood. Perhaps more a scavenger than a killer? So Valafar cast a spell to see if he could spook the creature, he took a step forward and a harmless tremor started from where he had stepped. A raven's cry issued from above them in the treetops and his eyes changed to look like two burning stars.

    "I just want the water," Valafar took a careful step forward to gather the water.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Casting Thaumaturgy My effects
    * Harmless tremor
    * Raven's cry
    * changing eye color/apperance

    Last edited by Seanfall; 2019-08-19 at 11:11 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    The warlock takes a moment to familiarize himself with the aerial lay of the land, noting the location of the force bubble to the larger landmass which they will invariably head off to.

    Unwilling to look at those batlike creatures for any longer, he mentally instructs the Raven to explore the larger island before returning, and breaks off contact.

    Fishing out a thin string attached to a stick no longer than a dagger, the warlock mutters a brief arcane phrase as he seemingly puppeteers an imaginary object fastened to the stick by the string.

    In ten minutes, a shapeless and semi-translucent blob, vaguely resembling a human, forms at the end of the string and detaches from it.

    He mentally orders the unseen servant to gather up dried leaves and maybe something edible, without straying more than sixty feet from him.

    Magical rituals finally complete, Zuu Greenbrook leans backwards and closes his eyes. He needs a short rest.
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    Valafar sighed, he wasn't interested in a fight with this creature plus where there was one there was probably more. Though it was holding a severed arm, it wasn't dripping in blood. Perhaps more a scavenger than a killer? So Valafar cast a spell to see if he could spook the creature, he took a step forward and a harmless tremor started from where he had stepped. A raven's cry issued from above them in the treetops and his eyes changed to look like two burning stars.

    "I just want the water," Valafar took a careful step forward to gather the water.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Casting Thaumaturgy My effects
    * Harmless tremor
    * Raven's cry
    * changing eye color/apperance

    You don't notice any immediate change in the creature's demeanor. After a few seconds though the animate effigy shambles slowly towards you, slithering along its feet more than walking. As it is lumbering over it drops the arm and spear to raise its arms ups high. A small slit in the part of it's head where a mouth should be, which you couldn't recognize before because it was formerly closed and it has no lips, then opens and from it comes a primal call. The sound that issues forth sounds somewhat like twigs snapping and leaves rustling, but it comes across as too articulate to be natural. After it repeats the phrase several times, you begin to process the structure of what it is saying: the word is Cohdwiggoehd. You don't know why, but your whole body seems to be shaken with dread upon hearing that word being said. Something about it seems horrifyingly primeval.

    When it is halfway through the pond, several other nearly identical voices spring up around you on all sides. From out of the forest what must be half a dozen other effigy-people come towards you with their arms raised celebrationally. They all whisper Cohdwiggoehd as they approach. When they are within a foot or two of you, they stop moving but still keep their arms raised. The murmur of "Cohwiggoehd" now surrounds you as the beings remain largely motionless except for their mouths. That word seaps into your mind from all directions and it becomes almost dizzying to hear it repeated as a mantra like that.

    They still haven't made any hostile moves yet, but they seem more than a little unpredictable. You have no idea what Cohdwiggoehd means, nor do you have any good guesses as to why they are saying that. They still aren't fighting you at least, but the way they have you surrounded is more than a little threatening.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar doesn't want to draw his blade, they haven't been openly hostile yet and he'd like to avoid a fight if he could.

    "I am not your enemy, I am not here to hurt any of you. I just wanted to get some water." Valafar speaks in as calm a voice as he can manage.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show


    Sorry for the short post, dealing with some real-life stuff that hit me like a knife to the chest.

    Persuasion Roll
    (1d20+4)[18]


  19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    Valafar doesn't want to draw his blade, they haven't been openly hostile yet and he'd like to avoid a fight if he could.

    "I am not your enemy, I am not here to hurt any of you. I just wanted to get some water." Valafar speaks in as calm a voice as he can manage.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show


    Sorry for the short post, dealing with some real-life stuff that hit me like a knife to the chest.

    Persuasion Roll
    [roll0]

    When you finish speaking for the second time, all six or so of the effigies lower their arms and turn their heads to the side. For a moment they actually stop their murmuring, but they then continue it once again soon enough. This time it seems more like they are saying the word "Cohdwiggoehd" as a question rather than a statement. They scatter around you general area, picking up rocks and leaves and scouring the zone in search of something you don't know. The perplexed chattering is still is ongoing, but they have stopped paying attention to you.

    One of the effigy people, who are so similar in appearance that you can't tell which one this is, doesn't join in the search and actually stops to stare at you for a few seconds. Despite its apparent lack of eyes, the being seems to move its body as if it relied on seeing you from where eyes would be. It then speaks up in a gravelly voice, much like old twigs and leaves snapping and crunching.

    "You are not a Cohwiggoehd, are you?".
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "I'm not even sure what that is." Valafar speaks plainly still watching the others carefully. "I shipwrecked on this island a few hours ago."

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    "I'm not even sure what that is." Valafar speaks plainly still watching the others carefully. "I shipwrecked on this island a few hours ago."
    The thing hisses frustratedly, much like an annoyed rattlesnake, and turns to look at its other allies in their search. You aren't sure how, but it somehow communicates them a message to stop their search and look at itself, which they oblige. After a few seconds pause they go to staring back at you with their eyeless faces. Then each of them retreats back into the brush and hides, except for one who picks back up the severed arm and continues trudging along. It doesn't take them long to leave your sight. They apparently lost interest in you rather quickly.

    You then retrieve your water with ease and return back to the camp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    The warlock takes a moment to familiarize himself with the aerial lay of the land, noting the location of the force bubble to the larger landmass which they will invariably head off to.

    Unwilling to look at those batlike creatures for any longer, he mentally instructs the Raven to explore the larger island before returning, and breaks off contact.

    Fishing out a thin string attached to a stick no longer than a dagger, the warlock mutters a brief arcane phrase as he seemingly puppeteers an imaginary object fastened to the stick by the string.

    In ten minutes, a shapeless and semi-translucent blob, vaguely resembling a human, forms at the end of the string and detaches from it.

    He mentally orders the unseen servant to gather up dried leaves and maybe something edible, without straying more than sixty feet from him.

    Magical rituals finally complete, Zuu Greenbrook leans backwards and closes his eyes. He needs a short rest.
    Some minutes after Valafar returns to camp, the Unseen Servant returns as well. It only seemed to gather up dried leaves and twigs, and nothing it brought back seemed edible. The golem may not have been intelligent enough to know what is safe to eat; come to think of it, you don't know what is safe to eat either. You see many things around you in the jungle that looks like they could be edible, but you are unused to the environment so cannot tell for sure. Foraging may require some heavier thought than would be first assumed.

    Before the end of the rest, the raven returns as well. He has a couple of scratches and ruffled feathers, indicating that he might have had some trouble with brambles or insects, but nothing but superficial wounds are present.

    Now that the strenuous activites have been completed, the short rest is starting. If you would like your character to do anything special during the rest, then please say so. Otherwise we will move on in about a day.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Zuu sighs, but fashions a makeshift bed out of the detritus his unseen servant brought. "I am not familiar with this terrain," he eyes his companions. "What can we eat? I can cleanse poison from food and drink, but we do need to find some to cleanse in the first place. This dome will disappear in 8 hours, or if I step out, whichever comes first, so I'm afraid I can't be much help regardless."

    Leaning heavily into the bed, he brushes the bits of brush and detritus from the raven's feathers. Fishing out an uneaten pack of trail mix, he rips it open, starts eating, and offers the nuts to his familiar.

    After Valafar steps back into the dome, he asks, "So, what did you find? You look a bit pale."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-08-24 at 09:16 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar sets the water down and starts to set up to boil it when Zuu asks him why he looks pale the Teifling's tail flicks. "I met some of the locals. Look like a vaguely human-shaped tangle of moss-covered weeds. No eyes but...pits where there should be and a slit for a mouth, at least one spoke our language." Valafar wipes his brow and takes in a long breath. "Not outwardly hostile at least not this time. They asked me if I was a...Cowed ding head...no..Cowel hinge dead...no..." Valafar thinks hard for a few moments before snapping his fingers. "Cohwiggoehd that was the word."

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Knowledge check: Does Zuu know anything about the creatures being described, or the word they were saying?

    (1d20-1)[6]
    Add 3 if it qualifies as arcana.
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Knowledge check: Does Zuu know anything about the creatures being described, or the word they were saying?

    [roll0]
    Add 3 if it qualifies as arcana.
    You frankly don't have any idea of what the word "Cohdwiggoehd" (pronounced code-we-gOd) could mean, nor what these creatures are that are saying it. Something about the word though makes you uncomfortable, but you cannot explain why, not completely unlike how some people would feel when hearing the word "moist". The creatures are a mystery too you as well. They seem to share some features with what you know about fey, but other than that you can't identify much connection.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Within the confines of Zuu's magical dome, you all find some respite. Aside from the massive insects and impish reptile birds, nothing seems to come out to bother you.

    You all gain the benefits of a short rest. Please roll any hit die you would loke

    Since the point where Valafar has returned to the camp, slightly over an hour has passed. Madeleine Sonderholme and Ulysses Lomax went out to gather some fresh water as well, but they have not come back yet. Something must have troubled them on their way. You really aren't sure where they are right now, or whether even they are still alive.

    Crynirad is the first to break the silence. "This cursed island has swallowed some of us already. I warned you all about staying in one place for too long, something must have found them. If the pirates around here weren't the ones to find them, then some mammoth beast has consumed them or one of the servants of the Other Gods have dragged them to places unknown... Or perhaps something more sinister is lurking within these woods. Regardless, all hope is lost for them."

    After he finish his monologue, he forces a melodramatic sigh, which you are starting to find he has done quite of. This guy must have been in a play or two in his life if he behaves like this. He then continues, this time with much more energy. "We need to get of off this island. That means we need a boat. Although your ship may have been decimated, and so was the pirates who where here, I think that other people must have been stranded here as well. In fact, I actually met someone before your ship crashed on this part of the island who must have come from another boat. I can't understand his language, but I can take you all to him, and maybe one of you all can. Perhaps the boat he was on isn't so broken as to be unrepairable, and we might have a chance of getting away from this place." He is already fully packed and ready to move on, being clearly excited. He also apparently must be under the impression that you all have already agreed to his plan, despite the fact that none of you have had the time to comment.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Zuu Greenbrook is extremely skeptical of the plan.

    "We have sailed for several days before crashing into this island. You saw how the storm easily destroyed the ship. What makes you think that a dinky boat we make can stand a chance should it happen again?" he says, in between bites of his ration.

    After a pause, he mutters, in part to himself, "Not that I have a better idea..."
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "That storm wasn't natural, it's like it wanted to destroy us. You could feel it right? The malevolence in it? Someone or something sent that storm at us. Until we find out who or what and put it down, we won't be able to leave through natural means."

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    I remember I rolled back when I jumped the gun again to heal, can I keep those numbers or should I roll again?

    Also, I regain my spent spell warlock spell slots: yay!


  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Having been paranoid ever since his unfortunate pacting, the half-elf agrees empathically. "Agreed. Something was out to get us, and I say we get to it first!"
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Zuu Greenbrook is extremely skeptical of the plan.

    "We have sailed for several days before crashing into this island. You saw how the storm easily destroyed the ship. What makes you think that a dinky boat we make can stand a chance should it happen again?" he says, in between bites of his ration.

    After a pause, he mutters, in part to himself, "Not that I have a better idea..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    "That storm wasn't natural, it's like it wanted to destroy us. You could feel it right? The malevolence in it? Someone or something sent that storm at us. Until we find out who or what and put it down, we won't be able to leave through natural means."

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    I remember I rolled back when I jumped the gun again to heal, can I keep those numbers or should I roll again?

    Also, I regain my spent spell warlock spell slots: yay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Having been paranoid ever since his unfortunate pacting, the half-elf agrees empathically. "Agreed. Something was out to get us, and I say we get to it first!"
    Crynirad looks more than a little crestfallen that you didn't immediately jump on his idea. "Umm, well yeah, I guess you all are right. The storms could just destroy our boat again, couldn't they? But... how would we find out what is causing all of this anyway? I guess we could try communicating with one of the twig people and seeing what they know, as apparently they can speak. Don't know how you would find them though, as they tend to be elusive little critters. Or we could try to see if any of the other survivors on the island knows what are going on, but so far the only other survivor I know of is the guy that I mentioned already. Maybe if you are feeling especially bold we can track down those fish people that fled from you and interrogate them... I don't know how you would go about finding them though either. I have got to be completely honest, I am not really sure what to do."
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •