The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 197
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    As someone who has dealings with entities far more powerful than himself, Zuu Greenbrook does not want to get involved here. Why risk his well-being for a total stranger? No, Horasiu fell into this mess; he's going to have to claw himself out of it.

    He looks the young elf in the eye. "You're bound to the tree? Then, why don't you destroy the tree? I'm sure we can lend you an axe or something similar."
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    As someone who has dealings with entities far more powerful than himself, Zuu Greenbrook does not want to get involved here. Why risk his well-being for a total stranger? No, Horasiu fell into this mess; he's going to have to claw himself out of it.

    He looks the young elf in the eye. "You're bound to the tree? Then, why don't you destroy the tree? I'm sure we can lend you an axe or something similar."
    Horasiu now has got into the habit of speaking directly towards Elbalar and waiting for him to translate. Beiwarin listens to his brief statement before translating rather quickly. "He claims to have no idea what would happened if the tree would be destroyed. He would be worried that it would kill him, but is willing to give it a try if no other options seem available. Regardless, he says that if the tree where to be killed, he can't be the one to do it because the curse rendered him somewhat incorporeal, preventing him from being able to physically hold an axe... If that is the case, then it is best that we didn't give him the paper to write on, because that would have been embarrassing."

    "He then offhandedly mentions how he could give us more useful information about what he has observed over the past week if we don't leave him. I don't recall us every saying that we would leave before helping him, but he is apparently concerned about it anyway."
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "Cutting down the tree seems like a bad idea, the people who cursed him seem rather vindictive. If we find those people...we could force them to undo the curse or tell us how to undo it." Valafar, rolled his eyes at the munching creature and paid it no more mind. "That creature I mentioned seems...not to care about our presence. So we have that at least."

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Elbalar continues, "He does seem insistent he knows something useful, although that might be desperation. if you don't see any threat, I don't see a reason to abandon him now." He then replies in sylvan.

    Spoiler: Sylvan
    Show
    "I don't think my group wants to leave you like this, although one of them is hoping we can convince the creatures that cursed you. Could you let me know a little of what you've seen?"

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Zuu smirks and leans closer to the elf.

    "Boyo, I don't think you have much to bargain with. The only thing you can tell us is what you have seen in this beach, and to be level with you, we aren't going to be staying here long enough for that information to be useful.

    As for the choice between the possibility of death and having whatever mockery of life you've got going in here, well, that's up to you. Your life, your choice.
    "

    As he said this, he briefly looks at the elf's feet. Do they cast a shadow? Are they planted firmly on the ground, or is he somehow hovering?
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Zuu smirks and leans closer to the elf.

    "Boyo, I don't think you have much to bargain with. The only thing you can tell us is what you have seen in this beach, and to be level with you, we aren't going to be staying here long enough for that information to be useful.

    As for the choice between the possibility of death and having whatever mockery of life you've got going in here, well, that's up to you. Your life, your choice.
    "

    As he said this, he briefly looks at the elf's feet. Do they cast a shadow? Are they planted firmly on the ground, or is he somehow hovering?
    Horasiu is obviously shaking fearfully and breathing heavily at the thought of being left behind. He croaks out some words Elbalar, who rapidly translates it. "He claims that the information he knows should be relevant beyond the beach. And then he says that he is not against chopping down the tree as a last resort, just that he would like to to think of alternatives before settling on that.

    Now that you are looking, you do notice something quite bizarre with his feet. It is not that they are hovering though as you would expect from a "spirit", in fact it is quite the opposite: they are so strongly planted in the ground that they are completely submerged in it. There shouldn't be a physically possible way that he could have been moving without upsetting the dirt covering his feet, yet he does. Nor does he seemingly cast any shadow at all, despite the fact that everything else around him is. Some magical phenomena does seem to be occurring here.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Elbalar continues, "He does seem insistent he knows something useful, although that might be desperation. if you don't see any threat, I don't see a reason to abandon him now." He then replies in sylvan.

    Spoiler: Sylvan
    Show
    "I don't think my group wants to leave you like this, although one of them is hoping we can convince the creatures that cursed you. Could you let me know a little of what you've seen?"
    Horasiu reminds you as goodheartedly as possible that he can still hear what you all are saying just fine, he just can't speak it. He then gives you a report of what he found that you translate back to the party.

    "He claims that he can see the night-gaunts are collecting some corpses from the shipwrecks and bringing them towards that cave in the top of the peak in the middle of the island. He has observed them so far bring a total of nine different people there over the past week. Strangely though, none of these nine people have been of the same race. They must be selectively picking one person of each race to bring up there."

    "He also says that he believes that he knows the origin of the plant people seen around these islands. Apparently he has seen them sprout out from the corpses of the recently dead. Their first action upon awakening is taking all of the valuables off of the deceased who hosted them and then running away into the woods. At first he thought that this only happened to those who died by the dryad that he had killed, but then he witnessed a seperate corpse wash on shore close to him which experienced the same thing. He believes that the red algae in the water has something to do with it, because the plant people are the same color and texture as the algae. "

    "Finally, he claims to have noticed that... now you aren't going to believe this one... that some of the constellations are changing position in the sky. The five constellations of Canes Venatici, Cetus, Phoenix, Corvus, and Capricornus are noticeably drawing closer to the peak in the middle of the island every night. Some of these constellations aren't even supposed to be visible at this time of year, yet have actually pushed their way into the night sky. They are not moving so quickly that it is immediately perceptible, but over time you can tell that they have moved."
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Zuu picks up a torch, ignites a nearby patch of dried seaweed with a wave of his finger (Create Bonfire), and extends it to Horasiu. He glances sideways at the cursed tree before looking the elf in the eyes.

    In truth, the half-elf has no idea if the elf is indeed as incorporeal as he says. He casts no shadow, yet his feet are planted in the ground. He claims to pass through objects, yet Zuu can hear him just fine. Someone who passes through solid objects will also pass through air, and thus it was highly unlikely air could be passing through his lungs in such a way as to make speech possible. And yet here he is, sobbing and talking.

    Clearly something is not right.
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar gives a conspiratorial glance up to the sky, Stars and constellations moving, never a good sign. That's, of course, assuming the Elf was telling the truth.

    "So the Night Gaunts collect the dead, and more tree people sprout from them. A rather twisted ecosystem this island has. Perhaps it would be best to simply burn the entire thing down?" He was of course, only half-serious. The Warlock rubbed the bridge of his nose, his patron had guided him to this island for a reason, a purpose but he wasn't able to fathom what it was just yet.

    "What do the people of the deep have to do with this? The fish-like folk who attacked us when we landed? As far as I am aware this island is far from home for them."

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Zuu picks up a torch, ignites a nearby patch of dried seaweed with a wave of his finger (Create Bonfire), and extends it to Horasiu. He glances sideways at the cursed tree before looking the elf in the eyes.

    In truth, the half-elf has no idea if the elf is indeed as incorporeal as he says. He casts no shadow, yet his feet are planted in the ground. He claims to pass through objects, yet Zuu can hear him just fine. Someone who passes through solid objects will also pass through air, and thus it was highly unlikely air could be passing through his lungs in such a way as to make speech possible. And yet here he is, sobbing and talking.

    Clearly something is not right.
    Horasiu looks at you in slight confusion and wonder at what you are trying to do. After a few moments he moves his hand to grasp the torch, but it only passes through the object. His hand didn't seem at all affected by the flames it just came into contact with. He then says something in a quieted and reserved voice to Elbalar:

    "He says that he can't pick anything up. His hands just seem to go through anything he touches. If the tree is to be burned, someone else must be the person to light it."

    Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    Valafar gives a conspiratorial glance up to the sky, Stars and constellations moving, never a good sign. That's, of course, assuming the Elf was telling the truth.

    "So the Night Gaunts collect the dead, and more tree people sprout from them. A rather twisted ecosystem this island has. Perhaps it would be best to simply burn the entire thing down?" He was of course, only half-serious. The Warlock rubbed the bridge of his nose, his patron had guided him to this island for a reason, a purpose but he wasn't able to fathom what it was just yet.

    "What do the people of the deep have to do with this? The fish-like folk who attacked us when we landed? As far as I am aware this island is far from home for them."
    It's not yet dark enough out to actually see the stars, but that doesn't seem to stop your naggingly paranoid urge to verify this fact about moving constellations yourself.

    Horasiu says something to Elbalar who translates it back to the party. "The boy claims to have seen the fish people when he came on the island too. When his ship first stranded on the shore, a dozen mutated humanoids ambushed them with spears and tried to kill as many people as possible. After the crew made enough of a ruckus with their flintlocks though the attackers fled, before any of them could have taken a fatal shot. "

    Crynirad was previously being much too frozen with confusion, but now he speaks up as well. "Hey, those fish devil things attacked the ship when I stranded here as well! The two pyromancers on board managed to eventually torch all of the attackers, but not before they killed much of the crew. By the gods bleedy nails, these things are on a mission here."

    Horasiu spouts off another statement, quickly translated by Elbalar. "Horasiu claims that the things which strip the ships of their valuables are not the fish people though. The things doing that are actually closer to octopus people than any sort of fish. Apparently, they are not only not agressive, but also friendly. They came to his stranded crew and actually offered to trade some of the resources they found from the fallen ships with them. Well, maybe not "friendly persay", as the prices they offered where exorbitant and they where quite clearly trying to sell goods stolen from the other crashed ships, but they where not violent at least."
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "If we leave Horasiu here, he's more likely to die of loneliness or old age than of anything else," Zuu announces as he snuffs out the fire on the seaweed and the torch.

    "I say we try to hook up with his crew and see what can be done. There's always more safety in numbers. We can always come back for him."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-09-18 at 11:32 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "Aye, that seems a solid plan." Roland agrees. "Can you find this place again lad?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "No guarantees," Greenbrook replies, " I am not any better in land navigation than anyone else. However, if we can leave some markings that are visible from the air, then I'm sure my familiar can find it without problems. "
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "I'm sure we can do something for that." Elbalar begins pushing a line of seaweed up the beach, creating a few distinct orbs of it above where the surf seems to reach.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Spoiler: For Zergrinch Only
    Show

    The voice of the fiend comes back into your head, speaking as Psychopathically as ever.

    "You sure are putting a lot of trust in people, aren't you? This spirit you just spoke to is one of the fair folk now. What makes you think that you are not being led into a trap? Speaking of that, this Crynirad seemed pretty intent on having you speak to this whelp. He is a pirate you know, do you really believe that all he wanted you to come here for was some information? How suitable for you to fraternize with a marauder and an undead. How well do you think that will end for you?
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    "SHUT IT!" Zuu suddenly shouts out to something in front of him that is obviously not there. "I WILL FRATERNIZE WITH WHOEVER I WISH!"

    For good measure, the warlock unleashes a flurry of Eldritch Blasts, all of the beams impacting harmlessly into the ground in front of the enchanted tree.
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar takes a step back from the other Warlock who seems to have gone temporally insane. "Are you trying to attract the entire forest!?"

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    The warlock thrashes wildly, eyes glazed over. "Don't you see it? Hear it? That damnable fiend?!!"

    The glaze gradually vanishes as normalcy seemingly returns to the half-elf.

    "Uhh. Sorry 'bout that. I was having a... conversation... with my patron. Shall we move on?"
    Now Playing:

    Zaladane Galatine (Human Avatar Mystic): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zigbar Garrick (Forest Gnome Artificer): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu (Forest Gnome Evocation Wizard): IC | OOC | PNG | Map

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Seeing as how there is no more talking to be done with Horasiu, you all continue on your way towards your next destination. And frankly, trekking through the jungle to get there is terrible. At all times you have no free space to move your limbs, and you have to hack your way through oversized leaves at every pace. It doesn't seem to help as much as you want it to though, because the ground brush is tugging at your calves the whole time. This isn't even getting to the incessant nipping of the bugs and the squealing of the birds around you. Overall, it is an experience none of you are used to, and not one any of you want to get used to.

    Eventually you find a spot in the jungle which has been slightly cleared due to a fairly recent fire. As you walk between the side of a cliff and a small lake though, your relief is very quickly crashed. A mote of fire is launched from out of the jungle and into the path before you, exploding into a shower of sparks with a thunderously deafening boom. Had that been aimed just a little before its point, it would have been a painful experience for all of you no doubt. Then a voice from out of the jungle speaks:

    "Put down your weapons and surrender, or we will burn you alive. And you know that we can." The shape of four tiefling pirates, undoubtedly the ones Crynirad wanted you to dread, came out from behind trees nearby. Two of them step out right beside of the passing, wielding menacingly curved swords, whereas the other two are farther into the woods take more pains to find cover. The latter group is unarmed, but wielding something far more frightening: balls of fire flickering in their open hands.

    "Now unless you prefer death, join the chain line". The pyromancer who is speaking gestures to group of three people in manacles and shackles with a chain running between them. The lead figure's hands are tied to a tree, keeping everyone in the chain locked in place. Two of these are humans whom you don't recognize, but the third person you know all too well: it is Fid Watcher. He must have someone escaped from the Tempest on a different route, and ended up getting captured by these pirates.

    It seems like you don't have much time to react before fire starts getting slung. How do you all react to this? Fid Watcher is restrained currently and bound in Manacles. Combat will not technically begin until either side launches an actual attack. Here is a map of the scenario.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Zuu was already somewhat expecting an ambush thanks to his patron's unwelcome warning. Having sharply rebuffed the patron's whispers, only to be proven wrong yet again, is considerably mortifying to the half-elf.

    "Okay! Okay! I surrender!"

    Zuu slashes his hand in a V-shamed motion before raising both arms above his head. He smirks as he drops the pinch of phosphorus he grabbed from his pouch, as a fiery wall of flame suddenly separates Zuu's group and the brigands. Curiously, the side of the wall of fire facing Zuu's group does not seem to burn at all!

    The warlock takes advantage of the wall's obstruction of the enemy's vision to relocate as far back as possible. Those close to him can hear him mutter, "Fire huh? Two can play that game!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Cast Wall of Fire (concentration spell). The wall is drawn on Roll20, and is 60 feet long, 20 feet high, and 1 foot thick. The wall is opaque and lasts for 1 minute or until concentration ends. When the wall appears, every creature within its area takes (5d8)[27] fire damage, halved on a successful DC17 DEX save.

    Pirate 1 (d20)[17]. Success. 13 fire damage.
    Pirate 2 (d20)[12]. Probable failure unless Dex Mod > 4. 27 fire damage.
    Pyromancer 1 (d20)[11]. Definite failure. 27 fire damage.

    The side facing the pirates deal 5d8 fire damage to each creature that ends its turn within 10 feet of that side, or inside the wall. It takes the same damage if it enters the wall for the first time on a turn, or ends its turn there. The other side deals no damage.

    Move: Move back as much as possible to avoid being engulfed in an AOE attack. I'm betting full movement of 30 feet is still not enough to avoid a well-aimed fireball, but I'm hoping the fireball won't be well-aimed due to lack of vision.

    Note: Zuu has full health and still has 12 temp HP from Dark One's Own Blessing.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-09-26 at 06:54 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar slips between his party members to the front of the party and brings up his bow, "You can slit your own throats or let us do it, either way, you all die." Valafar's blackbird eye focused on one of the pirates and marked him with the curse of his Hexblade. His fingers twitched and he let loose a pair of arrows just before Zuu's firewall rose before them.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show


    Bonus Action: Hexblades curse to pirate (marked with a skull symbol on Roll20.)

    Attack on Cursed Pirate.

    Thirsting Blade - I may make two attacks with my pact weapon in one turn.

    Attack 1 (1d20+8)[20]

    Dam: (1d8+8)[15] (hex blades curse let's me add my Profenciy bonus to damage rolls.)

    Attack 2 (1d20+8)[23]

    Dam: (1d8+8)[12]

    Last edited by Seanfall; 2019-09-26 at 12:43 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    The pirates where expecting some backstab by their quarry, so when he raises his hands with the Sulfur pinched in his fingers they do not hesitate to attack. Both of the pyromancers summon hellish fire to reign down from the sky and descend upon the huddled mass of the four members of the main party. The party seems to awestricken by the tormented light and power of the the fire, and are unable to dodge out of their way for either quick enough. The searing energies rain over its targets, burning the grounds beneath them and leaving them all painfully burned. The only fortunate thing about this situation is that the heat was not potent enough to break past the skin by a meaningful amount.

    Seeing their enemies caught off guard, the two pirates in swashbuckling equipment sprint to the leading members of the party. One of them tries to deliver a stabbing flurry at Nauta with their rapier, but Nauta proves more alert than the pirate thought and is able to dodge and deflect every blow. The other swashbuckler tries several swift times to skewer the weak points in Valafar's armor, but only one manages to pierce the relatively less guarded armpit region of his armor and it does only weak damage. After both pirates witness that their enemies are a bigger challenge then they thought, both of them dance backwards in positions to protect the wizards. They move with such finesse and swiftness that you no one is able to swing at them as they fall back.

    The pyromancers both launch cylinders of heat energy at the party, and the only successful save against either cylinder is Beiwarin's against the second one. Pirate A attacks Nauta, but no attack hits, and then takes the Disengage action to move to a different position. Pirate B attacks Valafar, doing weak damage, and then Disengage and moves back as well. Exact numbers about damage can be found here, but they are already included in the stats post.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Battle Stats and Map

    Beiwarin: 15/60 HP,
    Greenbrook: 31/52 HP, +12 THP (from Dark One's Blessing)
    Nauta: 6/62 HP,
    Valafar: 27/55 HP,
    Watcher: 52/52 HP,

    Pyromancer A: 0/39 HP, defeated: dead
    Pyromancer B: 0/39 HP, defeated: dead
    Pirate A: 23/66, affected by Hold Person affected by Hex (DEX)
    Pirate B: 0/66, defeated: dead

    Spoiler: Enemy Defensive Stats
    Show

    Pyromancer: AC 15 (Mage Armor), Saves (STR -1, DEX +2, CON +2, INT +3, WIS +2, CHA +5), Damage Resistances (Fire), Condition Resistances (Exhausted and Prone),

    Pirate: AC 17 (Leather Armor and Buckler), Saves (STR +1, DEX +4, CON +2, INT +1, WIS +0, CHA +2), Damage Resistances (Fire), Condition Resistances (Exhausted and Prone),
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-10-16 at 05:28 PM.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Zuu coughs up some bloody sputum and loses the pinch of sulfur in the explosion. That wasn't as bad considering, but Zuu knew the patron had siphoned off some of the worst damage.

    The enraged warlock replaces the sulfur that evaporated in the explosion, combines it with a wad of guano in his other hand, palms the mixture in his right hand, and points it at the middle of the brigands.

    "Two can play at that game!" he says venomously, as a mote of fire appears in the midst of the clusters of pirates, and explodes into a raging inferno.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Fireball at level 4
    Radiance. DC 17 DEX save to halve (4d10)[20] fire damage.

    Pirate A: (d20+2)[22]
    Pirate B: (d20+2)[3]
    Pyromancer A: (d20+2)[21]
    Pyromancer B: (d20+2)[20]

    Move back at maximum speed to avoid getting caught up in another AOE.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-10-05 at 01:37 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    About bloody damn time! What in the seven slick tentacles of Shoggoth took you so long?! Fid shouts as his, he hoped, would-be rescuers stumbled onto the scene. He averts his eyes just in time not to be blinded by the pyrotechnics being thrown around and then turns back and spits a harsh, sharp syllable in the direction of the nearest pirate. The words race across the short intervening distance, almost searing the air with their infused power.

    Fid then tries to wriggle back and out of sight, hoping to buy himself some space from the inevitable fiery backlash of pyromancers.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Action - Vicious Mockery on Pirate B - Only has a Verbal component - Pirate Save - (1d20)[17] v DC 15 WIS save or take (2d4)[3] damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll.

    Bonus Action - Grant Bardic Inspiration [d8] to Valafar.

    Move - Move half speed backwards and drop Prone (if not already prone).

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Valafar is not fond of the fire or the stabbing he has just undergone and decides he needs to kill someone, NOW. He locks eyes with the second, unguarded Pyromancer and his transformed eye locks his Hex onto the man. He sidesteps, silvery mist enveloping him and he reappears in front of the Pyromancer his greatsword appearing his hands as he swings fully intent on killing this man as quickly as possible.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Hexblades curse on Pyromancer B

    Bonus Action: Misty Step to teleport in front of Pyromancer B I think I have to take a five-foot step here too.

    Attack Pyromancer B: Thirsting blade grants me two attacks.

    Attack one: (1d20+8)[11] +5 (bardic Inspiration) vs AC of 15

    Damage: (2d6+8)[12] = Against my Hexed target I get to add my Profenciy bonus to damage rolls.

    Attack two: (1d20+8)[22] vs AC of 15

    Damage: (2d6+8)[14]

    Last edited by Seanfall; 2019-10-04 at 01:04 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Seanfall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cybertron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Spoiler
    Show


    I'm going to use the Bardic Inspiration Dice on that first attack roll. Bardic inspiration states I can add it after rolling just not before the effects of the roll are decided.

    (1d8)[5]

    Last edited by Seanfall; 2019-10-04 at 01:05 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Roland winces in the flames, but swiftly recovers. He charges one of the pyromancers, drawing his cutlass and attacking in a dizzying flurry of slashes and punches, faster than the eye can follow.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Attack pyromancer A.
    Cutlass: (1d20+6)[13] to hit, (1d8+5)[6] slashing damage.
    Unarmed: (1d20+6)[13] to hit, (1d6+3)[6] bludgeoning damage.
    Agile parry gives me +2 AC until my next turn.
    I'll burn a Ki for flurry of blows as well.
    (1d20+6)[9] to hit, (1d6+3)[7] damage.
    (1d20+6)[9] to hit, (1d6+3)[8] damage.
    And because I feel like showing off, I'll use Action surge for an extra attack action.
    (1d20+6)[9] to hit, (1d8+5)[11] slashing damage.
    (1d20+6)[10] to hit, (1d8+5)[6] slashing damage.
    If I manage to kill the pyromancer with these attacks, any remaining attacks will go towards Pirate A.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Coming under a furious attack by Nauta, the more Northern pirate sees little action to take except for to retaliate. After his two rapier strokes are deftly dodged by Nauta, he slips a hidden dagger out of his sleeves on his buckler hand knicks Nauta with the unexpected shiv.

    Nauta takes 6 piercing damage from 1 dagger attack.

    Seeing that the swift warrior is distracted by his ally, the other pirate takes this opportunity to flank Nauta's other side and attack. His attacks find much more success, as although Nauta is able to avoid taking a major wound from any of the attacks, he is still scarred by the rapier and dagger.

    Nauta takes 10 piercing damage from 1 rapier attack and 8 piercing damage from 1 dagger attack.

    The Northern pyromancer can see that the swashbucklers have Nauta handled, so he picks on an easier target. Elbalar Beiwarin is still standing in place, dazed from the searing attack. The pyromancer makes use of Beiwarin's disorientation to throw a another bolt of scorching light at him, but this one being much smaller.

    Beiwarin takes 16 fire damage from 1 "flamebolt" attack (not the firebolt spell, but similar)

    The second pyromancer though is in far less of a good position, as he is left half dead by Valafar's attacks. Panicking for his life by the unexpected attack, and not seeing any easy way to escape, the caster throws a small sphere of heat energy at him once again. The fire hits true, but the arcanist in his frenzy seems to have forgotten that he is stricking another of his own race, so fire hardly does the type of harm he want to do.

    Valafar takes 8 fire damage (originally 16, but then halved by resistance) from 1 flamebolt attack

    Spoiler: For Zergrinch Only
    Show

    The voice of the fiend returns with its mocking tones.

    "Whichever side survives this fight will be chosen for the next hunt. I have the highest expectations for you, so try not to die."


    It is your turns now. Here is the statistics post once again. And here are the rolls for the turn that just occured.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    Fid Watcher - Bard in a Bind

    Fid hits the ground, mud smearing into his already sweaty beard. He swears into the ground, and levers himself up awkwardly. A little help if you would! I'm as useless as a bump on a ogre's club lying here! Fid calls out, a tinge of desperation creeping into the edge of his voice....it had been a hard few days since the shipwreck. Not trusting his fellow passengers to risk their lives for him just yet, though, Fid struggles with his bonds, trying to slip out of the bonds.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Struggle Out of Bonds - (1d20)[9]

    My modifiers are as follows - Athletics +0, Sleight of Hand +3, Acrobatics +3, Dex +5, Str -1. Not sure which I should be using as an "Escape" skill check. Can I look for a sharp rock maybe? Perception is +4.

    Otherwise, he'll give another Bardic Inspiration as a Bonus Action to Valafar, spurring him on to victory.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Tempest Aloft the Haunted Isle In Character

    The fiend's incessant mockery infuriates Zuu Greenbrook even more, having already witnessed the enemies' resistance to his fireball. "WHY DON'T YOU JUST DIE ALREADY?!" he roars, more to the fiend than to the pyromancers who toasted him, while unleashing a pair of Eldritch Blasts at both pyromancers.

    Back-pedaling even more, the warlock fishes out a crossbow bolt and drops it on Watcher's hand as he steps over him. "Can you get yourself out?" he asks the bard impatiently.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Eldritch Blast vs Pyromancers!
    Beam 1 (vs Pyromancer A): (d20+9)[15] vs AC15. Hit: (1d10+5)[11]. Crit: (1d10)[6]. 11 force damage; pushed back 10 feet.
    Beam 2 (vs Pyromancer B): (d20+9)[23] vs AC15. Hit: (1d10+5)[8]. Crit: (1d10)[6]. 8 force damage; killed. Zuu gains 12 temp HP from Dark One's Blessing.

    Move: Further away.

    Item Interaction: Take out a crossbow bolt and palms it to Watcher.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-10-08 at 07:06 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •