The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Help me flesh out my world's mythology

Keep posting!

I am slow, but I will get there.

2. - Top - End - #32

HalflingPirate

On blodlines:

Virtually everyone will have a touch of divine blood proving they are common members of the society. Those without this are obviously immigrants.

Royal blood not only preseves the divine lineage better, it is reinforced through selective breeding.

Thus, to marry into a royal line one must have good genes and good traits.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Forcing royalty to become inbred is how you get Game of Thrones Way Less Sexy Edition. But brian 333 does raise some good points. So how do we fix this?

Some societies could be matrilineal, as the sun goddess seems to have enough sway over her husbands. Therefore, a new king is chosen and married to one of the princesses, and is considered the new king. If priests are consulted, the new king could have a considerable amount of divine blood as well as showing off his prowess. Or the princesses ARE the priesthood in charge of selecting the new king.

I could however, see Remulo being a trickster and choosing several FEMALE inheritors of the Royal Bloodline Sorcerer subclass. This has probably lead to more than one awkward situation, and is usually a sign of Remulo's intent, such as replacing the princesses or that the lady in question has a really good bloodline. The mortals just have to figure out how to make it work.

And what if commoners could actually have their divine blood removed? Maybe a part of being a criminal or even committing certain sins is that your divine blood either gets removed or can't be passed down. Maybe if you swear yourself to one of the Dark Gods, you have to forsake your divine blood to properly serve them. Vampires might have a ritual to do this to their victims to propagate their kind or to make thralls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I was definitely imagining the main civilizations as Matriarchal. I also realized who Helvia (Star Knight) and Dalfrus (First Wizard)'s dad is: Faen, the Earth God and Creator of the Dwarves

Maybe the eldest princess has to have her suitors approved by her younger sisters?
    Remulo creating Female Royal Sorcerers to show his opinion on lineage and deed is perfect, since he's not malicious or hedonistic. He's kinda the chaotic equivalent of a Culture Hero.

Vampires and sworn servants of the Dark Gods having their Divine Blood purged is awesome, and explains how Detect Alignment works.

I don't want Orcs to always be evil, and I also want them to be common in certain cultures. So, how did the Orcs forsake Kulrao

5. - Top - End - #35

HalflingPirate

I realized I failed to name the daughter of Threet in her section. Her name is Shalla the Potter.

The fifth mortal husband of Rokilla was also human. Hermarr saved what he could of his people from an as-yet undetermined invading force by rafting them downriver into a tidal estuary, where they persevered through many hardships.

Rokilla saw nobility in the dirty, defeated, but unconqured folk. She came into their camp and taught them how to find and to grow food and to store it in their swampy home.

In time she came to love Hermarr and bore him a son. Falka the Shipwright began building small canoes as a boy, and as he grew so too did his boats.

As a young adult he began to explore the open sea, and he and some friends had built a small camp on a nearby island when his mother called him home.

The horde had found them and was preparing to finish off their old enemy. Falka moved the people to his island and his father and the warriors remained behind to trap the attackers.

Falka and his father Hermarr waged a war that the horde could not win, and eventually their internal politics caused the collapse of their leadership.

As the horde fell apart, Falka extended his reach upriver, but their island was now their capitol, with their first city, Port Hermarr. It still stands, but its harbour has silted in. The nearby port city of Pilterra is the current capitol of the worldwide naval and trade empire they founded.

When next she married a mortal it was an elf who found his way to the celestial realm where the gods make their homes.

Zebrial was a wizard whose power grew beyond mortal limits. He learned to open doors between the realms. When he came to the city of the gods he was imprisoned while they debated his fate.

Rokilla defended him, saying he had broken no decree, and he was given into her custody while the gods debated.

He was curious about the city, and she showed him around. As she did she became enamoured with him, and grew anxious over the comming verdict.

But he was held to be blameless and was returned to the mortal realm. The gods made two decrees then:
    Mortals would be forbidden physical entry to the celestial city. They could come in spirit, but were required to leave their mortal body behind.
    Mortal magic was to be monitered, regulated, and limited by The First Wizard.

When Zebrial returned to his home in The Golden Wood he discovered he carried a child, who was removed by a midwife. His daughter grew to become Millik the Scribe, who loved stories and lore.

She invented writing, and wandered the world collecting knowledge, which she hoarded like a dwarf hoards gold.

As her father built a pantheon to the gods and founded the High Elven race, she built the first library.

It still stands in The Golden Wood, and loreseekers from around the world come to learn, often trading new books or scrivening and bookbinding services for the privilege.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2019-07-01 at 08:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tornadofyr View Post
    I don't want Orcs to always be evil, and I also want them to be common in certain cultures. So, how did the Orcs forsake Kulrao
    They didn't...As in, several groups never followed him in the first place. Sure, he created them, but storms aren't exactly good for eating so they immediately bailed. The problem with creating something with the violent and chaotic power of the storm is that it might just choose to act against you. Maybe change up their stats to make them less stupid, or is that a curse by Kulrao?

I think traditionally, younger princesses should help the eldest pick her new husband. However, as the ages have gone by, there have been a lot of cases where this didn't work. A younger princess completely blocking any suitor, the younger ones getting bribed, or even being split has caused most stable monarchies to adapt far more complex rules, but the basic system is still in place.

And if the soceity is matriarchal and matrilineal (not the same thing), then I imagine princesses are trained to be priestesses. Their knowledge of the inner workings of the court and knowledge of courtly manners means that a group of princesses working together can quickly curtail the power of the king, who might be bumbling through this complex society.

Remulo might control how people think of nobility, but what god gives the right to rule?
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I think traditionally, younger princesses should help the eldest pick her new husband. However, as the ages have gone by, there have been a lot of cases where this didn't work. A younger princess completely blocking any suitor, the younger ones getting bribed, or even being split has caused most stable monarchies to adapt far more complex rules, but the basic system is still in place.

And if the soceity is matriarchal and matrilineal (not the same thing), then I imagine princesses are trained to be priestesses. Their knowledge of the inner workings of the court and knowledge of courtly manners means that a group of princesses working together can quickly curtail the power of the king, who might be bumbling through this complex society.
    Story seed...

"But Kalea, no Princess has actually blocked her sister's suitor in 14 generations, it's just a formality! You can't!"
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #38

BardGuy

The concept of Matrilineality being separate from Matriarchy is news to me, but I was definitely envisioning a Patriarchal Matrilineal society. Susetria grants the divine right to rule, but Tanubrai's blessing is the practical might and wisdom to rule.

9. - Top - End - #39

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    "But Kalea, no Princess has actually blocked her sister's suitor in 14 generations, it's just a formality! You can't!"
    Turns out the Kalea has secretly been training as a Druid of Golvar, and her sister's suitor is a Vampire

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Story seed...

Precisely! So you have to prove your worth to Golvar or murder the vampire without getting caught. It makes it so choosing a new king becomes a plot hook for a group, not just a single dude (or dudette, because Remulo) trying to get the throne.

Through...Maybe if you want to make your setting appealing to a wider base, maybe consider that most clerics are female? It allows for female PCs to be both adventuring and have political power. So more of an idea of highly divided gender roles. Men of a divine bent are pushed to become paladins, women tend to heavily outnumber men as diviners, healers, accepting offerings/prayers, and genealogical records. Which, if you have multiple divine lineages running around would be quite important.

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

I like the highly defined gender roles idea, but men can still be Clerics and women can still be Paladins, but the cultural stance on divone magic runs that way
    Last edited by Tornadofyr; 2019-07-01 at 09:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

There could be exceptions among different religions, even.

For instance, Golvar/Suestria/Tanubrai/Faen could be the major four gods, and stick to that formula. The Twins probably demand a test of strength of anyone, and if a woman passes, she passes, end of story. I imagine Helvia not caring because she needs people to fight the demons, and probably not always having the political power or money to entice people. Maybe her following is apolitical, given their duties?

Dalfrus hasn't been expanded upon, but magic was seen as feminine, so most of his priests are female. Men are probably more encouraged to become eldritch knights, battlemages, etc, but aren't explicitly banned. And maybe he's a horrible womanizer, because when is the last time the nerdy wizard male god was actually interested or capable of such? It's either a lady god of magic, or a male warrior god. I could see him also occasionally being into the odd dude, he's flexible.

And he's flexible with whatever his followers want, as long as they show devotion and dedication to their duties. Maybe he's not even big on the whole ritual and pomp of the other gods, just dedication to the pursuit of magic. Which makes for a weird case of the scholarly caste being rather insular as they might not prescribe to the same sense of decorum as the outside world. (Which happened, occasionally).

Remulo just does whatever, because it amuses him...And it makes his following completely unpredictable. So in some areas, it seems like it is mixed, in others, it's male, and others still, completely female...On the surface. In reality, he has a lot of priests that don't reveal themselves and go against public decrees of who can be in his following in that region.

13. - Top - End - #43

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shokoman View Post
    Interestingly, thanks a lot for making some points clear.
    Anything still not clear? I'm always open for suggestions

14. - Top - End - #44

HalflingPirate

Helvia's paladins guard the temples of the other deities. Blackguards and Cavaliers are evil and neutral versions of paladin if alignment enforcement is an issue, but the idea is that they are all sworn defenders.

Adventuring clerics and paladins are of the militant demon-hunting sect, though they may adventure on non-demon related quests to gain skill and strength for when they must face their eternal foe.

My idea for clerics of Helvia is that they multiclass as a fighter type. Cleric/Rangers would be demon hunters while Cleric/Paladins would typically be temple guards. Cleric/Fighter or other multiclassed subtypes would tend to be adventurers. I would make Barbarian difficult, if not impossible. Perhaps only allow if the character begins at Level 1 Barbarian.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2019-07-02 at 03:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

I like the idea of two linked but differing sects. Allows for more flexibility in character concepts, and DM plot hooks. Maybe they use two different constellations to indicate their allegiance?

Through what would the relationship be between these two sects? I imagine it started off fine, but nowadays is strained as the two often butt heads as they fight for prestige, honor and resources. The Templars (temple guard faction) think that the Seekers (demon hunting faction) are too crass and don't think through their actions, while the Seekers believe that they are doing the more dangerous work for less recognition. I think there needs to be a historical event or a myth of how a seeker just plain ignored social niceties.

If this is 5e Barbarian doesn't have to be chaotic. The barbarian rage could be re-flavored as a divine trance state of righteous fury after all. Er...Is this 5e? I saw Sorcerer Bloodline and jumped to conclusions. I do like the idea of the main sects being team 'Cleric/Paladin/Fighter' and team 'Cleric/Ranger'. So barbarians are possible if the player can make a coherent build, but not really that common.

Through now that I think about it, a demon-hunting band of orcs that try to use their divine taint to good purpose by running around the wilderness where others dare not tread to hunt down demons hiding in the wilds or targeting rural areas would be a pleasant change of pace and allow for more half-orc variety.

If we're playing with alignments, what alignment is everyone? I could see Helvia being either LG or LN, depending on the tone of the setting.

And what races are we using? We have elves, dwarves, humans, orcs, and halflings, anyone else? We haven't really touched on the races yet.

16. - Top - End - #46

BardGuy

Is this 5e?
    If we're playing with alignments, what alignment is everyone? I could see Helvia being either LG or LN, depending on the tone of the setting.
    And what races are we using? We have elves, dwarves, humans, orcs, and halflings, anyone else? We haven't really touched on the races yet.
    Yes, 5e
    Alignments is interesting, as I'm doing a Law/Chaos split for non-Evil deities.
    Law
    - Susetria
    - Rokilla
    - Faen
    - Heidros (the Lawful Twin, worshipped as a General of Generals, cunning generals are his favorite)
    - Helvia
    - Dalfrus
    Chaos
    - Tanubrai
    - Golvar
    - Remulo
    - Svobri (the Chaotic Twin, worshipped as Champion of Champions, One Man Armies are considered blessed by him)
    - Two other gods, since I would like balance between Law and Chaos, if possible
    Evil
    - Kulrao
    - The Fateweaver
    - Bauz
    - Four Other Gods. If only Law or Chaos existed, Evil would take over

I'm allowing any race my players want. The common races are the ones in the PHB. My player orcs default to Half-Orc stats, but are fully orc. Half-Orcs don't exist
    Last edited by Tornadofyr; 2019-07-02 at 06:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

You could just scoot Dalfrus over to being chaotic. A good practitioner of magic looks at the universe and says 'No thank you. I can do better'. This is also the guy who looked at the gender roles of society and promptly ignored them. Is it just me, or do a lot of settings tend to have lawful or uncaring gods of magic, but never chaotic ones? Look at PC mages, they don't care about silly things like 'rules' or 'laws' or 'guards shouting at them to stop casting magic'. They want to explore to push knowledge of magic further and further!

If he is to be chaotic, where would lawful practitioners of magic go? If battlemages, to Heidros. Probably don't want the guy flinging fireballs in the middle of formation to be experimental or overly creative. If concerned with crafting, perhaps Rokilla? How does the world view magical crafting versus mundane methods? And if concerned with law/nobility, I assume they would go to Susetria.

How do you feel about some demons/interdimesional threat? They could also be fighting Team Evil, adding to the conflict. Or just everyone, which means there could be the occasional and brief true of the various godly factions.

18. - Top - End - #48

BardGuy

You could just scoot Dalfrus over to being chaotic.
    How does the world view magical crafting versus mundane methods?
    How do you feel about some demons/interdimesional threat?
    Dalfrus is now chaotic, that makes more sense honestly

Since 5e doesn't have any crafting rules, it doesn't really matter.

On dimensional threats, I'm against that, besides the demons Helvia fights, because I want that to be considered not that bad compared to the Evil gods, who are within this world and can directly influence it.

I still need 3 or 4 more Evil gods, and here's an Idea I had for one:

Hydra God: Golvar sculpted it as the first beast, and it was so powerful he couldn't kill it after it went on a rampage. God of Anarchy, Snakes and Lizards

19. - Top - End - #49

HalflingPirate

In the Mountains of Turai a roving band of hunter/gatherers fought a generations-long war against a subterranean foe.

For now call them fire goblins.

The fire goblins would spew from their caverns when the ground shook and one or more of the mountains smoked. Their only purpose seemed to be to destroy.

A mother sought divine guidance and was told that the wealth her people needed to defend themselves was under their feet.

Many of her people took that to mean that to mean the treasures of the fire goblins, and they formed adventuring parties to go into the deep caves.

The woman's son soon realized the treasure gained that way would always cost more in lives than it was worth. He sought another answer.

He knew the city folk prized beauty, and the white rocks of his homeland had long been used by his folk to make beautiful altars for the gods. So he gathered many rocks and carted them to the nearest city, some hundreds of miles away.

This was the beginning of the marble trade, with which Thalfin The Builder made his fortune.

He hired dwarves to teach quarrying and soldiers to defend the trade caravans, and finally builders to build a fortress city for his people. In the heart of the city he built a temple to Rokilla the Hearthmother, whom he credited for his prosperity.

With his wealth he built forts over the goblin's caves and hired expert dungeoneers to keep the goblins in check.

Thalfin outlived his wife and remained devoted to Rokilla but he had no heir. By the laws of his people sons inherited from the father and daughters from the mother. He had six daughters but no sons. He prayed for guidance for nine months, and in the first week of the tenth month as he prayed Rokilla appeared and laid a boy-child on her altar.

Thalfin was pleased when his daughters appeared to love the child, but in secret each was vying to gain sway over the boy so they could rule through him.

He grew up vain, spoiled, and weak-willed. His father died while he was still a boy, seeing the talent in his son, who was an artist, but never seeing the pettyness.

After his sisters assumed the regency they ignored the boy. This opened the door for an ambitious guard captain who was his only 'friend.' The guard arrested and executed the sisters, then became the power behind the throne. He gave the boy whatever he wanted and stole several fortunes while providing very bad governance.

The boy Dantan soon became known around the world for his exquisite sculptures. He gave them as gifts to annoyed kings and diplomats, and he taught artistry to any who came to his studio, most of whom were talentless flatterers out for a free ride. His new friends told him how great he was and blamed others for his problems.

When the surrounding nations tired of the erratic policies of the ujumped guard and the inept heir they attacked. By this time the wealth of Thalfin was gone, along with his friends and the guard captain too.

Exactly what became of Dantin is the subject of many legends. One holds that when the attackers broke into the throne room he was carving a statue of his own death. (Many such exist and are claimed to be the original.) Another claims he escaped and lived out his days a wandering artist. There are many other legends, each fantastic in some way, but most scholars claim he was killed, his father's city gutted, and their lands with its valuable marble quarries devided among the conqurers.

20. - Top - End - #50

BardGuy

Of the 4 evil gods I want to add, I want them to have more down-to-earth portfolios than the Fateweaver and Bauz.

Here's an idea I had

The first hydra: After Golvar created the Hydra as the first beast, Kulrao infused it with the essence of storms, driving it berserk. Probably depicted similarly to Tiamat. Battled Golvar and took away his power to control snakes and reptiles. If we want philosophy stuff, all about embracing ambition, passion, and anarchy.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Love the Dantan story. Tragic and more down to earth than the others. Perhaps one not really mentioned by temples, but the sort of sad story for plays and tales in taverns away from the priest's ears. Really also sells the idea that one cannot get by with talent alone, which might benefit the priests. It should have a morality tale (perhaps not as popular as the other bits) tacked on for the fate of the princesses who failed in their own way.

Perhaps the hydra god wasn't a hydra god, but a chimeric god. A god of unnatural growth, change, anarchy and bestial needs rather than passion. The 'children' of Xaragotas roam the world, trying to sate their unending hunger which has driven them mad. These children can be chimeric like their 'father', or simply beasts that tasted of his flesh and blood and became monstrous and savage. Some say his children are not even his children, but merely parts of him that separated from the main host to wreck destruction.

This way, you can tie him to any sort of large monster you need for a particular campaign. I don't think players from the frozen north are going to care much about a giant snake attacking, after all. Through I wonder if he would have domain over lycanthropes. Or plants. Maybe he's some sort of plant/beast hybrid, eternally in pain as his body is simply too unnatural and warped.

I also feel like Team Evil needs an evil god of greed or wealth. That could be Bauz himself, or a new one. One of Rokilla's children turned evil serving as a god of slavery could also be nifty.

22. - Top - End - #52

BardGuy

Perhaps the hydra god wasn't a hydra god, but a chimeric god. A god of unnatural growth, change, anarchy and bestial needs rather than passion.

Through I wonder if he would have domain over lycanthropes. Or plants. Maybe he's some sort of plant/beast hybrid, eternally in pain as his body is simply too unnatural and warped.

I also feel like Team Evil needs an evil god of greed or wealth. That could be Bauz himself, or a new one. One of Rokilla's children turned evil serving as a god of slavery could also be nifty.
    Xarogotaz, Father of Monsters has no dominion over plants, or even most beasts. Creatures that leave their place in nature are his children, because they have rebelled against Golvar, the same way Xarogotaz did. Lycanthropes definitely fall under Xarogotaz's banner

Yazurio is Helvia's twin brother, and the god of greed and slavery. Hoards knowledge.

23. - Top - End - #53

HalflingPirate

is he also the god of cowardice?

24. - Top - End - #54

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    is he also the god of cowardice?
    If needed, Yazurio can be a coward. Why?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tornadofyr View Post
    If needed, Yazurio can be a coward. Why?
    Because discretion is the better part of valor. You know, the part that lets you live to fight another day instead of fighting stupidly on the battlefield LIKE SOME PEOPLE. Which might give him dominion over fear as well. Fear is always nice on the evil side, little harder to work into Team Good usually. As the god of knowledge, fear and greed, secrets can be worked in quite well. He might not have the tactical mind of his brothers, but he does have knowledge of his opponent's weaknesses. And meeting on the battlefield probably means that you failed to properly defeat your enemies anyway.

He could also be the god of spies and assassins. Being the god of subservience doesn't just mean he enforces it, he decides who has to serve whom. And those who submit to him utterly get to have the rest of the world submit to him. And what servant wouldn't like to kill their oppressive master who serves Susetria and install themselves as a king?

Or maybe he should be a she. We seem to only have one lady on Team Evil so far.

26. - Top - End - #56

BardGuy

Being the god of subservience doesn't just mean he enforces it, he decides who has to serve whom. And those who submit to him utterly get to have the rest of the world submit to him. And what servant wouldn't like to kill their oppressive master who serves Susetria and install themselves as a king?

Or maybe he should be a she. We seem to only have one lady on Team Evil so far.
    Yazuria, The Lady In Purple, is the patron of tyrants and servants alike. Tyrants worship her to keep their power, while minions seek her blessing to overthrow their masters.

Something I realized about my world is that, since the War Gods rebelled against their evil parents, culture might see war as just, while peace allows Evil to corrupt people

27. - Top - End - #57

HalflingPirate

A candidate for Team Evil:

Jora, The Sly, The Watching Eye, The Lurker in the Shadows

Portfolio: Thieves, Shadows, Beggars, Cats, Tax Collectors

None know the origin of Jora. Or if they do, they arent saying. She seems to have come to the attention of gods and mortals about the time the first granaries were built, and as city populations grow her power grows.

Not to say her power is urban. She is known to hold simple corncribs and barns sacred too.

She is patron of those who prey upon the weak, and in art she is most commonly depicted as a mangy tabby cat.

Those who wish to appease her leave a saucer with the first splash of milk in it outside the door.

Folklore:

If a stray cat rubs itself on your legs, feed it.

What a cat sees, Jora knows.

Thieves pay a 'fixer' to pay off the police. It is just like the taxes non-criminals pay. Jora makes no distinction between them.

Grafitti of a cat's eye indicates the presence of a temple of Jora.

There are were-cats who fight a never-ending war with were-rats. Jora's army never acts in coordination with other groups, so they will never win, but the were-rats fear their stalk-and-kill raids.
    Were-cats are said to have four forms: ordinary person, ordinary cat, hybrid cat-person, and leopard-sized feline.
    Of course, who knows what the truth is? It's not like they let just anyone know their secrets.

28. - Top - End - #58

BardGuy

I think Jora is a bit too isolated and, honestly, small, compared to the other gods. If you can expand or connect her to other gods, I might reconsider.

29. - Top - End - #59

HalflingPirate

It was an idea. Use, modify, or discard as you see fit.

I was considering roles as patron deities and saw no patron of thieves, so...

A potential modification:

She is offspring of the god of secrets and an elemental being of shadow, and is thus a demigod.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Jora would make for an interesting saint or demigod or half-god. She could even much more neutral, rebelling against her own parents and playing all sides (except the demons, **** those guys) against each other. A limited portfolio wouldn't matter in that case, but she would appeal to player characters.

So...Any other subclasses or classes beyond in the PHB in this campaign? That might be a place to start.

And I like the idea that overzealous divine warriors might view god as good and peace as bad, it could start or drive a conflict for the player characters to solve. But I think the nobility/priestly classes would believe in it more than the peasants or crafters.