New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default A Castle for a Vampire

As the title states, I need a badass castle for the BBEG/NPC (depending how they work it yenno) in my campaign, and I'm wondering if anyone had any good links or anything to anything if the like. Kinda like the castle in the Castlevania series on Netflix? Love me some unnecessarily grand rooms.

Thanks for any and all input guys!
    "People in glass houses shouldn't throw bears"
    -Rĉmm, the Halfing Templar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Castle for a Vampire

the 3.5 module "expedition to castle ravenloft" is an offshoot of the traditional dracula story and has a lot of maps of strahd's castle. it's a good place to start and is deservedly very popular, if fairly challenging.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Also the Stronghold Builder's Guide. It's partially obsolete but still usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    the 3.5 module "expedition to castle ravenloft" is an offshoot of the traditional dracula story and has a lot of maps of strahd's castle. it's a good place to start and is deservedly very popular, if fairly challenging.
    I have been using this module so far, and I love amount of rooms that it details, I have a couple rough drafts drawn up using these premade as a go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    Also the Stronghold Builder's Guide. It's partially obsolete but still usable.
    THIS IS THE BOOK I COULDNT REMEMBER! Ive been wondering what I was looking through awhile ago and this was it! Thanks a bunch for this one, though not the inspiration I was looking for for designs, i can actually price out keeps and stuff for my players again. Last campaign their castle was dirt cheap compared to what the module says...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ByOdin'sBeard View Post
    As the title states, I need a badass castle for the BBEG/NPC (depending how they work it yenno) in my campaign, and I'm wondering if anyone had any good links or anything to anything if the like. Kinda like the castle in the Castlevania series on Netflix? Love me some unnecessarily grand rooms.

Thanks for any and all input guys!
    I mean...if you want to talk about the Castlevania Anime, why not take some cues from Castlevania? (That is the castle's name by the way. "Dracula's Castle" is a description, not a name. It's also sentient...) Anyways, looking in the Castlevania game series you can get an idea of how to make a castle. Okay, no, its a relatively bad idea becasue of mixing video game level structure with roleplaying game level structure, but they do know how to build atmosphere. If you are the sort of person who's good at taking aesthetic detail and converting it into descriptions, then you might want to play through one of them. I'd suggest the Metroidvania ones for enjoyment purposes, though Circle of the Moon is probably the best in the series for how everything looks (very grim and gothic) (the Metroidvania ones are Harmony of Dissonance, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, Order of Ecclessia).
    I don't know if you enjoy the actual gameplay or anything, but the way that all of the rooms are detailed is downright extravagant, if you are drawing out maps and such its a good idea to look at those.

Ravenloft is good stuff too, its quite the classic.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I mean...if you want to talk about the Castlevania Anime, why not take some cues from Castlevania? (That is the castle's name by the way. "Dracula's Castle" is a description, not a name. It's also sentient...) Anyways, looking in the Castlevania game series you can get an idea of how to make a castle. Okay, no, its a relatively bad idea becasue of mixing video game level structure with roleplaying game level structure, but they do know how to build atmosphere. If you are the sort of person who's good at taking aesthetic detail and converting it into descriptions, then you might want to play through one of them. I'd suggest the Metroidvania ones for enjoyment purposes, though Circle of the Moon is probably the best in the series for how everything looks (very grim and gothic) (the Metroidvania ones are Harmony of Dissonance, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, Order of Ecclessia).
    I don't know if you enjoy the actual gameplay or anything, but the way that all of the rooms are detailed is downright extravagant, if you are drawing out maps and such its a good idea to look at those.

Ravenloft is good stuff too, its quite the classic.
    I'm genuinely disappointed in myself for not realizing Castlevania was the castle, not gonna lie. I actually havent played the games since maaaaybe 2009? Absolutely loved the series though, and the grim setting that it gave is really nice. The castle has that huge room in the beginning, with a few of his scientific designs, and I thought it was awesome.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

from the mapmaking point of view, Shadiversity made a podcast on designing fantasy castles.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    from the mapmaking point of view, Shadiversity made a podcast on designing fantasy castles.

machicolations!

I love shads videos lol