New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Men In Black Intetnational

Today I went to see Men In Black International and this is what I think about the movie:

Spoiler: My Thoughts About Men In Black International
    Show
    Well I saw the first three Men In Black movies and they were great. So any the forth movie was about the New Agents H and M wanted to save the world from the new threat known as the Hive. And man that movie was so boring. I fell asleep for most parts. There was no excitement at all. It's was very anti-climatic. No excitement whatsoever. And this is the third movie I fell asleep during a movie theater this year so far. It was too decent for my taste. I'll give this movie a 3 out 5 stars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Men In Black Intetnational

You realize that in a 5 star rating system 3 is generally considered adequate, right? If the movie is as bad as the rest of your post implies, 3/5 seems pretty high.

I tend to use the following (Note - the movie examples are how I feel about them. Everyone else will have their own):

5 stars: Outstanding movie. Did exactly what it intended to do and what I wanted from it. Loved it completely and may very well see it again. Will definitely purchase for my own library when released for home sale. Wreck it Ralph, Avengers, Brightburn.

4 Stars: Very enjoyable movie. May have a few flaws, but nothing that gets too much in the way. Mostly does what it intended to do. Probably only see in the theater again if going with group who really wants to see it. MAY purchase when released for home sale (depends on if it is a movie that benefits from repeat watchings). Halloween (2018), Dr. Strange.

3 stars: Adequate movie for what it was. Don't regret seeing it, but almost certainly wouldn't see it again or purchase. Force Awakens, Thor.

2 stars: Below average. Never really drags me in. Feels uneven, and may not be what it advertised itself as. Should have saved the money. Thor: Dark World, Event Horizon, Fisher King.

1 Star: WHAT were they thinking. Fails on multiple fronts (acting, plot, tone, etc.). Want the time back even if I didn't pay for it. Only redeeming quality MIGHT be mocking it with friends and lots of alcohol. Highlander 2, Jupiter Ascending.

Note that a big factor for me is how well a movie does what it claims to do. Case in point: Brightburn is so far the most enjoyable movie I've seen this year. It was exactly what it advertised itself to be, and did it extremely well.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    You realize that in a 5 star rating system 3 is generally considered adequate, right? If the movie is as bad as the rest of your post implies, 3/5 seems pretty high.

I tend to use the following (Note - the movie examples are how I feel about them. Everyone else will have their own):

5 stars: Outstanding movie. Did exactly what it intended to do and what I wanted from it. Loved it completely and may very well see it again. Will definitely purchase for my own library when released for home sale. Wreck it Ralph, Avengers, Brightburn.

4 Stars: Very enjoyable movie. May have a few flaws, but nothing that gets too much in the way. Mostly does what it intended to do. Probably only see in the theater again if going with group who really wants to see it. MAY purchase when released for home sale (depends on if it is a movie that benefits from repeat watchings). Halloween (2018), Dr. Strange.

3 stars: Adequate movie for what it was. Don't regret seeing it, but almost certainly wouldn't see it again or purchase. Force Awakens, Thor.

2 stars: Below average. Never really drags me in. Feels uneven, and may not be what it advertised itself as. Should have saved the money. Thor: Dark World, Event Horizon, Fisher King.

1 Star: WHAT were they thinking. Fails on multiple fronts (acting, plot, tone, etc.). Want the time back even if I didn't pay for it. Only redeeming quality MIGHT be mocking it with friends and lots of alcohol. Highlander 2, Jupiter Ascending.

Note that a big factor for me is how well a movie does what it claims to do. Case in point: Brightburn is so far the most enjoyable movie I've seen this year. It was exactly what it advertised itself to be, and did it extremely well.
    I'll consider using that rating system in future threads and post. Thank you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

What number of stars would be 'good riffing material'? Because there's bad movies, and then there are movies that are made less bad by making fun of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

What number of stars would be 'good riffing material'? Because there's bad movies, and then there are movies that are made less bad by making fun of them.
    I don't think you can express that in stars, you'd need actual context.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I don't think you can express that in stars, you'd need actual context.
    Maybe not with normal stars, but perhaps there could be some star scale of how much work it takes to enjoy a movie.

5. The movie is enjoyable even when I actively resist it.

4. The movie is enjoyable even when effort neutral.

3. The movie is enjoyable if you want it to be.

2. This movie takes work to be enjoyable.

1. Seek professional jokes by professional comedy professionals.

0. END! ENNNNNDDD! EEEEENNNNNNNDDDDD!
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

All I can deduce by the trailers is "Hey, remember Thor: Ragnarok?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

3/5 is, imo, pretty accurate. This movie was completely adequate. I dont regret seeing it, but I doubt I will ever see it again unless I watch the original and then decide the marathon the whole series, and I will probably forget most of the details within a few months,
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It felt like they gave MIB a Johnny English plot. By which I mean, your most run of the mill 21st century spy movie plot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh no, the boss is the villain? Who ever saw that coming?

Add to that hammer-in-the-face foreshadowing and a really cringy Thor joke RIGHT when the movie gains your trust that they won't go there... I can only give this a 2/5, at best.

And and AND! The logic in this film! Oh my god does it just not make any SENSE!

Spoiler
    Show
    Why was the cross-atlantic underground disguised when the only stations it hits are MIB stations?? Only for M to have a reaction, clearly.
    And why did those two not-hive guys not just talk to MIB? Did they KNOW they had been infiltrated? For how much this film over-explains there really needed to be a bit more there.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    It felt like they gave MIB a Johnny English plot. By which I mean, your most run of the mill 21st century spy movie plot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh no, the boss is the villain? Who ever saw that coming?

Add to that hammer-in-the-face foreshadowing and a really cringy Thor joke RIGHT when the movie gains your trust that they won't go there... I can only give this a 2/5, at best.

And and AND! The logic in this film! Oh my god does it just not make any SENSE!

Spoiler
    Show
    Why was the cross-atlantic underground disguised when the only stations it hits are MIB stations?? Only for M to have a reaction, clearly.
    And why did those two not-hive guys not just talk to MIB? Did they KNOW they had been infiltrated? For how much this film over-explains there really needed to be a bit more there.
    I got that Liam Neeson was supposed to be a traitor from the very first trailor, I don't think they were really trying to hide the twist.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure. But it's ALWAYS the boss. Either that, or the richest person about. One or the other.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    I got that Liam Neeson was supposed to be a traitor from the very first trailor, I don't think they were really trying to hide the twist.
    But it was still a surprise in-universe to the characters which meant sitting through two-thirds of a film watching our heroes face obvious red herrings.

I agree the plot and twists are really weak. As weckar said it is a Johnny English plot but that series can get away with it because it parodies spy movies. MIB International plays it completely straight.

I don't think it was a bad film as such and there was a lot of talent in front of the cameras and some fun new characters - I really liked Riza and as a Stellaris player I have a soft spot for intergalactic crime syndicates. Overall though it is remarkably unmemorable.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I enjoyed the film well enough. The twist wasn't much of a surprise but it was an interesting enough popcorn movie.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew