New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default 1st edition AD&D shield bashing

Are there any official rules for shield bashing in 1e AD&D and if so what are the basic details?

I know 2E had a couple variations depending if you use the Complete fighters handbook or Combat and Tactics but I was wondering if 1e had their own version of shield bashing rules.

Thanks.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 1st edition AD&D shield bashing

I do not think that there are official rules, but the 2nd edition rules port virtually seamlessly.

Also, if you want quick rules, probably something along the lines of 1d2 damage plus strength bonus and 2 weapon fighting rules apply (i.e., to hit penalty with off hand).
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Are there any official rules for shield bashing in 1e AD&D and if so what are the basic details?

I know 2E had a couple variations depending if you use the Complete fighters handbook or Combat and Tactics but I was wondering if 1e had their own version of shield bashing rules.

Thanks.
    Nope

presumably one could use the pummeling rules (back of UA, perhaps pre THACO tables of DMG)

dragon 127 has a little for you though: "Shields as weapons

A shield can also be a very effective offensive tool. Remember the movies wherein the hero uses a shield to run over or bash his enemies into submission? The combat system in the AD&D game is simple enough that adding these tactics would not clutter it. There are actually provisions for it in the game now.

The buckler is the only shield that can be used for attack and defense in the same round. Characters need not be proficient to attack with a shield. The player must state that a PC is going to attack with his shield before any rolls are made that round. The three forms of shield attack are pummeling, pinning, and shield-rushing.

If a player is using System I, the first method of unarmed combat described in Unearthed Arcana (page 106), these attacks are resolved in the same manner as are pummeling, grappling (pinning), and overbearing (shield-rush) attacks. Pinning differs from grappling only in that there must be a wall or some sturdy object or force against which to pin the opponent. Note that if a shield-rush is successful, an effort to pin the opponent to the floor might then be attempted.

The exceptions to these rules of attack are the buckler and mantlet. The former always attacks as described in Unearthed Arcana. The latter, because of its size, cannot be used to pummel an opponent.

System II, the second method of unarmed attack described in Unearthed Arcana, is a bit more complex and requires the further definition of a shields usefulness. In pummeling, all shields are considered large, hard objects (the buckler and mantlet excluded as before). If the defender can still effectively employ his shield, it is figured into his armor class. Pinning an opponent with a shield works in the same manner as does a grappling attack, with a couple of modifications. The defender of such an attack would be able to use his shield for defensive armor class. In addition to the five methods given to break free of a grapple, a pin may be automatically broken after one round if the defender’s strength is no more than four points lower than that of the attacker. Conversely, if the attacker’s strength is five, or more points less than the defender’s, he cannot successfully pin the opponent. Shield-rushing and overbearing attacks would not differ in use." Tim Merrett

So it seems there was a 1.5e era take (& an issue I had, i recall the article, though I do not recall using it). It went right to my initial thoughts, too (unarmed combat/UA )

This is a rare game/gamer section that gets the buckler right; they are held in a fist, and one can punch with them as one usually would strike a punch. They are also more effective than usually credited in melee combat, as they are held out in front of the body at the end of a fist, thus creating an angle effect that equals that of a much larger shield held to the body, but that isn't of note for attacking...
    Last edited by CE DM; 2019-07-01 at 07:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Interesting though I will say if there was a set of rules made more complicated than they need to be the pummeling rules in 1e would be one.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

". . . I do have one severe problem with my own game system. I got talked into doing the complicated and time-consuming series for grappling, pummeling, and overbearing in a weak moment. I have regretted them ever since. I tend to use a very simple system which we initially developed for such close-quarters combat in about 1974. . . .
    — E. Gary Gygax
    DRAGON® issue #67, p.66"

I hate the UA, but the pummeling change is not bad at all. Not complicated. Check it from the UA. Dragon 83 also has a simpler system, if you prefer.