New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Main format I have available is standard/whatever-you'd-call-Arena's-all-the-cards-mode-after-they-start-rotating-sets.
    I think the two main types of decks I've wanted to try are "something with goblins"(so... red and/or green, I think?) and "big green critters".
    Current Gruul (red/green) decks are Dinosaurs (where about 60% of creatures rotate in fall) and Gruul Midrange (mainly a playset of Growth Chamber Guardians plus Legion Warboss plus any creature with Riot you can come up with). Add in Collision//Collosus to connect and maybe a few Rhythms of the Wild.

I also managed to get a lot of "wolf" cards in a recent draft(the 2020 core set, I think?). But I'm not sure how viable that is as something to build a deck around.
    Not quite but the new Golgari (black/green) Planeswalker is going for some synergies. I assume it will be mostly a meme deck after all.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Like, the 4/4 flash wolf(for four mana) that grants +1/+1 to other wolves and spawns a wolf token on any turn I don't cast a spell seems maybe decent? But I'm not sure about the rest of the cards(and... I can't remember its name >///<).
    There's also a 0/1 that spawns a 2/2 token(Ferocious Pup?) and a saddle artifact that spawns a 2/2 as well(Wolfrider's Saddle I think?).
    Last edited by Togath; 2019-09-15 at 01:03 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

3. - Top - End - #303
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Like, the 4/4 flash wolf(for four mana) that grants +1/+1 to other wolves and spawns a wolf token on any turn I don't cast a spell seems maybe decent? But I'm not sure about the rest of the cards(and... I can't remember its name >///<).
    That's Nightpack Ambusher, and yes it's an excellent card. You really need to build the deck around its token spawn restriction to make the best use of it, though. Simic Flash does that, and it was one of the top meta decks for a while, before the rise of Scapeshift. Scapeshift is about to rotate, but Simic Flash will be around for a while still.

The other core cards for Simic Flash are Brineborn Cutthroat, Frilled Mystic, Spectral Sailor, and assorted counterspells. Watch out for Teferi, Time Raveler, though - he shuts the deck's core concept down entirely as long as he's on the board.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also a 0/1 that spawns a 2/2 token(Ferocious Pup?) and a saddle artifact that spawns a 2/2 as well(Wolfrider's Saddle I think?).
    That bad news is that there aren't any 1 or 2 drop wolves, and the 3 drop wolves aren't that great, so a tribal aggro wolves deck isn't viable.

The good news is that Nightpack Ambusher and Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves both good cards that provide the wolf synergy themselves. The new Garruk and Wicked Wolf in the new set are good cards that create/are wolves.
    That means you can play a lot of good cards that hopefully become great when you have that much synergy, without worrying about playing bad cheap creatures that rely on the synergy to be good.
    You're then looking at an Abzan midrange deck that plays some wolf synergy as their finishers, along with their removal suite. If that seems interesting to you then I'd say go for it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

I feel that looks nice (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-wolf-tribal/) but the giant is actually too expensive and I feel should be replaced by the Thornhide Wolves. Other than that, the deck needs removal (Prison Realms, Rabid Bites) and I would even go as far and play a few white weenies to support the wolves.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Why does a statue have powers vaguely similar to (and roughly opposite) the Immortal Sun? The Immortal Sun has a planeswalker's spark in it, whereas as far as I can find the statue is just... a statue.

I've Googled a lot of different things, and couldn't find any lore behind it, so now I'm asking Zodi, since she has all the offline resources.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Why does a statue have powers vaguely similar to (and roughly opposite) the Immortal Sun? The Immortal Sun has a planeswalker's spark in it, whereas as far as I can find the statue is just... a statue.

I've Googled a lot of different things, and couldn't find any lore behind it, so now I'm asking Zodi, since she has all the offline resources.
    Statue of Bolas, who had captured the Immortal Sun.

He also put that statue in the middle of conquered territory if I remember right? As a way to monitor his conquered territory? Prevent a insurgence? Im not very sure about the details of the War of the Spark Saga.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Statue of Bolas, who had captured the Immortal Sun.
    Are you saying the statue has powers similar to the Immortal Sun because... it includes the Immortal Sun? That would explain things.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Colossus in the Playground

Are you saying the statue has powers similar to the Immortal Sun because... it includes the Immortal Sun? That would explain things.
    That's not true.

Okay so, the reason why Bolas made the statue is to be an intimidating distraction. You look more like a world conquering ******* if you make a gigantic statue of yourself. Thus, the tax it puts on your enemies spell casting. It's a symbol of terror, and makes it harder to fight back. It's all part of Bolas' big plot to make everyone thing he's here to take over, when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Lore wise, the statue has no real power. It's something Bolas made to distract people from stopping anything he cared about, and something to distract from his true plan. It's a big scary statue he has no actual care for. This backfires when destroying it actually inspires the populace quite a bit, tying into how Bolas really doesn't understand people as much as he does. He underestimates people a lot.

The Immortal Sun is hanging out in the center of the Azorius guild, you can see it in Hallowed Fountain's new art, and a couple other cards in War of the Spar.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-15 at 10:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Lore wise, the statue has no real power.
    Oh. Kind of weird that the card it represents would be so excessive, then.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

11. - Top - End - #311

Oh. Kind of weird that the card it represents would be so excessive, then.
    Bolas is someone who does nothing in half measures. He is an absurd dragon with a flair for the dramatic a thousand years long.

He is the most extra dragon in the multiverse.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Bolas is someone who does nothing in half measures. He is an absurd dragon with a flair for the dramatic a thousand years long.

He is the most extra dragon in the multiverse.
    Right, but I'm talking about the card's mechanics, not it's art. Like, it's first ability isn't equal-and-opposite to the Immortal Sun's discount ability; it's double-and-opposite!

Then again, it's hard to make a card that will scare your opponent without making it strong... so I guess that's why they made it strong! Having it be combo-fodder would make more sense though, IMO.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-15 at 11:07 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

13. - Top - End - #313

Right, but I'm talking about the card's mechanics, not it's art. Like, it's first ability isn't equal-and-opposite to the Immortal Sun's discount ability; it's double-and-opposite!
    Yeah. It also costs like 6.

One of the most important things o remember about the actual physical card game is that sometimes, mechanics will beat out flavor. They try to keep the two together, but ultimately mechanics that make the game play better will be used over mechanics that fit the flavor better. So Bolas's Statue needed to be this big weighty artifact for mechanical reasons. It's flavor is somewhat connected, but trying to compare it's power level to the Immortal Sun on a pure card-mechanical standpoint only has meaning for the card-mechanical aspect of the game, not flavor.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. It also costs like 6.
    Just like the Imm- well, you know.

One of the most important things o remember about the actual physical card game is that sometimes, mechanics will beat out flavor. They try to keep the two together, but ultimately mechanics that make the game play better will be used over mechanics that fit the flavor better. So Bolas's Statue needed to be this big weighty artifact for mechanical reasons. It's flavor is somewhat connected, but trying to compare it's power level to the Immortal Sun on a pure card-mechanical standpoint only has meaning for the card-mechanical aspect of the game, not flavor.
    Having it be combo-fodder that is only somewhat* strong independently would make more sense, since it would let players bluff that they had such a combo ready, and thus use it purely for intimidation, as Bolas did. Still, the way they did it works.

*like, a very pushed 4-coster.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-15 at 11:13 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a massive statue of the guy who came out of nowhere and conquered half the city really quickly. Of course that is going to keep people from trying to mess with him.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's another question about the intersectiohn of mechanics and flavor:

Why does the Selesnya Conclave have wurms that are larger than Emrakul?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

17. - Top - End - #317

Here's another question about the intersectiohn of mechanics and flavor:

Why does the Selesnya Conclave have wurms that are larger than Emrakul?
    Because flavor wise Emrakul is stronger, but she only exudes the power that feels appropriate given her plans. She's on Innistrad, she's gotta have the 13/13 stat line. It's perfect.

Also, to put it bluntly, Ravnica is a ****ing hellscape. The wurms aren't routinely large enough to be a CONSTANT problem, but it's the thing where every couple months the earth shakes and everyone holds their breath and hopes that the neighborhood Selesnyan wurm tamer keeps their babies calm. Then they get shived in the aftermath by a goblin and found by a Simic who uses their dying body to make a crab lizard hybrid (because you're a viashino in this hypothetical).

That's just Ravnica,baby.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

So, that was just part of Emrakul, then? And the one in the original Zendikar block was also not her full power?

Cool!
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, that was just part of Emrakul, then? And the one in the original Zendikar block was also not her full power?

Cool!
    ELDER GOD OF THE BLIND ETERNITIES vs FIFTEEN SQUIRRELS

Really, the big E has to be jobbing that fight. Checks out.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    ELDER GOD OF THE BLIND ETERNITIES vs FIFTEEN SQUIRRELS

Really, the big E has to be jobbing that fight. Checks out.
    I'm pretty sure any reasonable person who had to fight 15 flying squirrels would just go "screw this, I'm going back to bed."

21. - Top - End - #321

Cool!
    Yeah. And it's important to remember that, from what we can gather from Jace's delightful chat with her, that the eldrazi are not directly, explicitly world DESTROYERS, they're doing something for a purpose.

22. - Top - End - #322

Cool!
    Let me quote a wiki article:
    Each titan lives outside of the planes. When one wants to feed, it extends a part of its "body" into the plane, to create a physical manifestation of itself there, as well as an army of drones that are extensions of its body and will.

The spirit dragon Ugin compared this to a man sticking his hand into a pool of water; the man being the Eldrazi titan and the water a plane. The fish—those who dwell on the plane—see only a part of the man—his hand. Likewise, the inhabitants of a plane can see only a part of each titan. Even if the titans appear to be independent beings, their physical forms are just part of a greater entity outside the plane. The same is true for every drone that the Eldrazi had created; they are all just part of the titan that made them.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I feel that looks nice (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-wolf-tribal/) but the giant is actually too expensive and I feel should be replaced by the Thornhide Wolves. Other than that, the deck needs removal (Prison Realms, Rabid Bites) and I would even go as far and play a few white weenies to support the wolves.
    "White weenies"? Like, low cost white creatures?
    I did notice there's a 3(or 2? Memory is rough) mana green enchantment that lets you turn any land into a "gain 2[any color] mana" land. Plus draws you a card. So it seems like green might be friendly-ish to other color dips to fill out weak spots?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Arena doesn't like it when I try to use Planewide Celebration to Proliferate four times over 4 targets. That, or I have a crappy internet connection; either way, I had hoped to win this match, but...
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-16 at 10:09 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #325

"White weenies"? Like, low cost white creatures?
    Yes. It can also refer to a deck type that uses lots of them, trying to flood the board and finish off the opponent before their deck can get its game plan going. Here's one deck I have like that:

4 Dauntless Bodyguard
    4 Law-Rune Enforcer
    4 Leonin Vanguard
    4 Skymarcher Aspirant
    4 Adanto Vanguard
    4 Benalish Marshal
    4 Venerated Loxodon
    4 Teferi, Time Raveler
    4 Legion's Landing
    4 History of Benalia
    4 Glacial Fortress
    4 Hallowed Fountain
    12 Plains

3 Tocatli Honor Guard
    4 Demystify
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Unbreakable Formation
    4 Baffling End

Counting Legion's Landing as a creature, this deck has 20 1-drops, 12 of which will be swinging for 2 damage each (the Leonin Vanguard will commonly be triggering its ability as early as turn 2). Playing this deck, I tend to be running out of cards around turn 4 or 5. If the game is going well, that's also about when my opponent runs out of life and I win.

I did notice there's a 3(or 2? Memory is rough) mana green enchantment that lets you turn any land into a "gain 2[any color] mana" land. Plus draws you a card. So it seems like green might be friendly-ish to other color dips to fill out weak spots?
    Yes, green has a lot of ways to produce any-color mana, and that does make it easier to mix with other colors. For some really spectacular multicolor mana generation, though, it's hard to beat Chromatic Lantern.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... so... specific card question; how the heck do I deal with Divine Visitation?
    It seems like as soon as it comes out, the field is flooded with angels and there's no real way for me to recover. And it's only five mana.
    Meow(Steam page)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

And it's only five mana.
    Aside from enchantment removal (MORTIFY in B/W) which is the obvious answer, bouncing token (blue), player removal (red) and more bigger stuffs (green) you might just create board states that disallow a turn 5 do nothing.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... so... specific card question; how the heck do I deal with Divine Visitation?
    It seems like as soon as it comes out, the field is flooded with angels and there's no real way for me to recover. And it's only five mana.
    If you're playing the Abzan midrange I suggested then you can play 4 Mortify and 4 Assassin's trophy.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

PSA: Don't try to combine Planewide Celebration and Simic Ascendancy as a win-condition in Arena. The game crashes.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

PSA: Don't try to combine Planewide Celebration and Simic Ascendancy as a win-condition in Arena. The game crashes.
    How many things where you trying to proliferate? I feel it should be able to handle a decent number of triggers before crashing.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1